IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....:
    [QUOTE]You really think a SS can hold all opposing teams to a 230 BA?  I am not being flippant.  Just curious.  I think their may be other factors in play to an opposing teams BA other than a SS. Maybe I was pushing it a bit, but we did hold them to .247 last year and our staff should be better this year, and Iggy could help get is close to .230 or .235.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You're assuming a couple of things here

1) The Pitching is roughly the same
    2) To get the BA down 12-18 points over a season, Iggy would have to make plays on about 60-90 balls that Scutaro/Lowrie would not get to (plus the # of balls that they would get to that Iggy wouldn't; yes that happens too, which I'm sure you're aware of; the analogy would be a D student getting a test question right while an A student gets it wrong).

That's a tremendous amount. I doubt Ozzie Smith or Mark Belanger could have made that difference up vs Lugo (or, in your case, Jeter).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....

In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in....:
    [QUOTE]Youkilis is slowing down and may in fact be breaking up. If he goes on the DL, Iglesias will be recalled and Aviles will move to third. Ideally, a third baseman should have more pop than does Aviles ( someone, say, like Beltre ), but Aviles is a tough out and has decent power.  Obviously the Sox would prefer to leave Iglesias in AAA until June, but an injury to Youkilis would change the script. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

3B power is becomming a thing of the past, especially in relation to SSs and 2Bmen.

2011 Slg%
    3B .391
    SS .370
    2B .378 

3B .430
    SS .395
    2B .399

3B  .395
    SS  .350
    2B  .360 

3B  .384
    SS  .320
    2B  .335

3B  .384
    SS  .302
    2B  .345

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You're assuming a couple of things here

1) The Pitching is roughly the same

Actually, I assumed it would be slightly better as the loss and replacement of Weiland, lackey, Wake, Miller and others outweighs the loss of Papelbon.

2) To get the BA down 12-18 points over a season, Iggy would have to make plays on about 60-90 balls that Scutaro/Lowrie would not get to (plus the # of balls that they would get to that Iggy wouldn't; yes that happens too, which I'm sure you're aware of; the analogy would be a D student getting a test question right while an A student gets it wrong).

I've already shown that some SSs make over 100 plays in a season over others in the same amount of innings on the field. I even showed SSs on the same team in the same year if pro-rated to a full season can show a 100 play disparity. It is possible, but yes, I am assuming Iggy is that good and Aviles is below average in range.

Also, Iggy's arm is much better than Scutaro/Lowrie and better than Aviles' as well. He can cause more opps outs and prevent some base advancements as well (which won't show up in opp's BA).

That's a tremendous amount. I doubt Ozzie Smith or Mark Belanger could have made that difference up vs Lugo (or, in your case, Jeter).

Lugo had good range when healthy, but vs Jeter, I'd say Ozzie makes 120-150 more plays (opps outs) over 160 games.

I ask the doubters to do just one thing this year: watch how many times our players get robbed of a yhit by an opposing great-ranged SS. Make a mental note that "Aviles would not have gotten to that one" and you'll notice it happens about once a game or two vs great defensive SSs. That's about 80-100 over a full season. (Remember, don't count the games we play against average of sub par fielding SSs.)

I remember watching Miguel Tejada make abour 2-3 plays a game that our SS at the time could never have made when he was in Oakland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]You're assuming a couple of things here 1) The Pitching is roughly the same Actually, I assumed it would be slightly better as the loss and replacement of Weiland, lackey, Wake, Miller and others outweighs the loss of Papelbon. 2) To get the BA down 12-18 points over a season, Iggy would have to make plays on about 60-90 balls that Scutaro/Lowrie would not get to (plus the # of balls that they would get to that Iggy wouldn't; yes that happens too, which I'm sure you're aware of; the analogy would be a D student getting a test question right while an A student gets it wrong). I've already shown that some SSs make over 100 plays in a season over others in the same amount of innings on the field. I even showed SSs on the same team in the same year if pro-rated to a full season can show a 100 play disparity. It is possible, but yes, I am assuming Iggy is that good and Aviles is below average in range. Also, Iggy's arm is much better than Scutaro/Lowrie and better than Aviles' as well. He can cause more opps outs and prevent some base advancements as well (which won't show up in opp's BA). That's a tremendous amount. I doubt Ozzie Smith or Mark Belanger could have made that difference up vs Lugo (or, in your case, Jeter). Lugo had good range when healthy, but vs Jeter, I'd say Ozzie makes 120-150 more plays (opps outs) over 160 games. I ask the doubters to do just one thing this year: watch how many times our players get robbed of a yhit by an opposing great-ranged SS. Make a mental note that "Aviles would not have gotten to that one" and you'll notice it happens about once a game or two vs great defensive SSs. That's about 80-100 over a full season. (Remember, don't count the games we play against average of sub par fielding SSs.) I remember watching Miguel Tejada make abour 2-3 plays a game that our SS at the time could never have made when he was in Oakland.

Que SS-era SS-era. 

I wonder if harnass will jump on this bandwagon as well and spend all year making posts that will put people to sleep.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Youkilis is slowing down and may in fact be breaking up. If he goes on the DL, Iglesias will be recalled and Aviles will move to third. Ideally, a third baseman should have more pop than does Aviles ( someone, say, like Beltre ), but Aviles is a tough out and has decent power.  Obviously the Sox would prefer to leave Iglesias in AAA until June, but an injury to Youkilis would change the script. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]Good post...... This could happen SOOOOOONER, rather than later !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in.... : 3B power is becomming a thing of the past, especially in relation to SSs and 2Bmen. 2011 Slg% 3B .391 SS .370 2B .378  2001 3B .430 SS .395 2B .399 1991 3B  .395 SS  .350 2B  .360  1981 3B  .384 SS  .320 2B  .335 1971 3B  .384 SS  .302 2B  .345
    The classic curveball was on the verge of becoming a thing of the past, or at least a demoted pitch, when the slider and splitter were in high vogue, but I noticed last year and in ST this year that Uncle Charlie, in several varieties, is the breaking ball of choice by far for most pitchers. The off-speed deuce, well executed, is still and executioner. I haven't seen much of the splitter these days.
    Trend lines are not always sustained.
    Normative numbers aside, Moon, let's bring this one down to earth, in Boston. With Crawford and Sweeney at the corners most the time ( righty pitchers prevail ), there won't be much pop from positions where it is still expected by most teams. ( Leyland is pleased to think that he'll get power from all four corner positions, including third with Cabrera. ) How much Ross plays and what he does remain to be seen. ( I'd avoid projections. ) The SOX could use a RHed power bat at third. ( They recently had one. ) Even if Youkilis is healthy enough to play, we'll see if most of his power is still present. Aviles figures to to be a step or two down from Youkilis, though he'd get his share of doubles.
    In any case, I was stating a preference, trends aside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IGGY has been sent down to AAA... Dad & Bill-806 will be off the board for TWO DAYS in.... : The classic curveball was on the verge of becoming a thing of the past, or at least a demoted pitch, when the slider and splitter were in high vogue, but I noticed last year and in ST this year that Uncle Charlie, in several varieties, is the breaking ball of choice by far for most pitchers. The off-speed deuce, well executed, is still and executioner. I haven't seen much of the splitter these days. Trend lines are not always sustained. Normative numbers aside, Moon, let's bring this one down to earth, in Boston. With Crawford and Sweeney at the corners most the time ( righty pitchers prevail ), there won't be much pop from positions where it is still expected by most teams. ( Leyland is pleased to think that he'll get power from all four corner positions, including third with Cabrera. ) How much Ross plays and what he does remain to be seen. ( I'd avoid projections. ) The SOX could use a RHed power bat at third. ( They recently had one. ) Even if Youkilis is healthy enough to play, we'll see if most of his power is still present. Aviles figures to to be a step or two down from Youkilis, though he'd get his share of doubles. In any case, I was stating a preference, trends aside.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I agree. It seems we have only 2 positions that could be upgraded over the next year or two with a RH'd power bat: 3B and RF. We may get some from Lava at the cathcer or DH position, but I do think we need some not named Aviles at 3B if Iggy wins the SS job at some point soon.