Iggy optioned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Re: Iggy optioned

In response to Bill-806's comment:

A sad day for the 2013 Red Sox......  It will be interesting where the next 30 days takes us.........   As I have said before, the REd Sox pitchers got off to a great start (ERA) because there was a SS there that made the other team play with only 3 outs per inning..... The entire DEFENSE was pitcher friendly !!!!

Bill, yes it's sad but it's a business. Iggy is the SS of the future. If Drew doesn't produce then I do see him gone at the trade deadline. Very hard to sit 9.5 million on the bench. Who knows, he may get injured again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

If Drew didn't get injured Iggy would've been at Pawtucket anyways. I hate to see them miss that glove. He did make some spectacular plays in the field.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

I kind of feel bad for S Drew, if he doesn't produce right away he's in for a world of hurt from the fans. He has the legacy name against him, and the fans strongly aligned wanting Iggy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Iggy has improved. That's a fact. Iggy will be back. The kid matured and grew on us much more than any of us expected. That's a blessing. He will the first SS back here in case of injury, trade, or for sure September. 

Really enjoy his play, very Luis Aparico

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben makes another reverse midas touch move...everything he does turns to chit....just wait

yes because this team he has constructed looks so bad right? Your also starting to see why he made that Bailey trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Expected , but still disappointing.  I think this is a mistake, but we have to deal with it. Iglesias has to deal with it too.  We will hear an uproar if Drew boots a couple tonight.

This is what I want to see.   LOL

Farrell: "Drew, we are sending you down so that you can work on your mechanics."

Drew: "But, it's only been one game." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

2) Bradley is our future CF'er.

I know, the Sox desperately needing another quality lefthanded bat has nothing to do with it...As far as Drew's defense goes, why don't you google some Bob Melvin quotes regarding Drew's defense.  Bob Melvin, you know the guy who actually managed him in Oakland & Arizona.  Saying the Sox are playing Drew simply because of money is ignorant and whiny, especially when you consider all of the players they paid to play elsewhere.  

exactly. Ive told a few here that we interviewed a couple people in the AZ organization that laughed at the defensive metrics concerning Drew and also praising him for his work and how he goes about his business. But what do they know, they only watch him every game. Nope, some fans here in boston look at a couple numbers and make their judgment on him...Brilliant.

The funny thing is that Ive been supporting Iggy all along and wanted him to start, but I understand the whole situation and why Drew was signed. I also know that hes a good ballplayer and will provide good defense and offense. I also understand that Iggy will be back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Hope Drew does well, I'm sure he will because he's an above average player, but if he gets off to a slow start, not sure how he'll respond to unjust Boston vitriol.  Anyway, it's great to have depth with Bradley and Iglesias, there are always injuries, and depth allows greater strength and flexibility for trades.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Hope Drew does well, I'm sure he will because he's an above average player, but if he gets off to a slow start, not sure how he'll respond to unjust Boston vitriol.  Anyway, it's great to have depth with Bradley and Iglesias, there are always injuries, and depth allows greater strength and flexibility for trades.

Not to mention the posts here, from the Iggyites, every time Drew has a 1-4 night...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

yeah you guys are the real Sox fans... choosing Drew over Iggy ... really impressive.

I love your knack for keeping it simple.

It really works for you...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The F.O. chose Drew over Iggy. 

Personally I would rather see Iggy.

If it was my decision I'd play Iggy.

But I'm not going to complain, and I'm going to cheer for Drew to perform well.

........I think I'm a fan?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

I know, the Sox desperately needing another quality lefthanded bat has nothing to do with it...As far as Drew's defense goes, why don't you google some Bob Melvin quotes regarding Drew's defense.  Bob Melvin, you know the guy who actually managed him in Oakland & Arizona.  Saying the Sox are playing Drew simply because of money is ignorant and whiny, especially when you consider all of the players they paid to play elsewhere.  

exactly. Ive told a few here that we interviewed a couple people in the AZ organization that laughed at the defensive metrics concerning Drew and also praising him for his work and how he goes about his business. But what do they know, they only watch him every game. Nope, some fans here in boston look at a couple numbers and make their judgment on him...Brilliant.

The funny thing is that Ive been supporting Iggy all along and wanted him to start, but I understand the whole situation and why Drew was signed. I also know that hes a good ballplayer and will provide good defense and offense. I also understand that Iggy will be back.

I agree, Southpaw.  I love what Iggy's done while here, but I think they are a better team with Drew, for now.  They desperately need another lefty bat right now and Drew is capable of providing that bat.  

He's going to get a bad rap for the simple fact that he is a "Drew." The ironic thing is that his nickname in AZ was "Dirt," because he played so hard and never wanted a day off.  Maybe this can be re-visited when Ortiz comes back, but for now, in my opinion, it's clearly the right move.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:

Remember the marketing study the Sox did that advised them they needed more sexy players like Pedroia? I don't think they realize that Iggy is one of those sexy players, last September fans were tuning in just to watch him. As I said previously, he's worth the price of admission.

This is a bunch of hooey.  The Sox don't need sexy players.  They need to win.  If they win with sexy players, fine. But the fans come to see a winning ballclub whether it's Drew out there or Iggy.  If the Sox continue winning with Drew, fans will stay interested.  If not, they'll make him a scapegoat.  

If anything, this whole Drew/Iggy thing is blown way out of proportion.  Winning is mostly about Lester and Buchholz pitching as they are capable and the rest of the staff holding their own.  Sure, the solid, if not spectacular, defense helps, but it's not the main driver of team success. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

I agree with the move, but I think the "leash" on drew shrunk this spring.  If iggy continues his hot start in pawtucket, and drew starts slow.....watch out.

The issue is that Iggy should not have to "continue his hot start" to continue being our FT SS.

He can't hit the ball out of the infield let's not get too excited here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Remember the marketing study the Sox did that advised them they needed more sexy players like Pedroia? I don't think they realize that Iggy is one of those sexy players, last September fans were tuning in just to watch him. As I said previously, he's worth the price of admission.

This is a bunch of hooey.  The Sox don't need sexy players.  They need to win.  If they win with sexy players, fine. But the fans come to see a winning ballclub whether it's Drew out there or Iggy.  If the Sox continue winning with Drew, fans will stay interested.  If not, they'll make him a scapegoat.  

If anything, this whole Drew/Iggy thing is blown way out of proportion.  Winning is mostly about Lester and Buchholz pitching as they are capable and the rest of the staff holding their own.  Sure, the solid, if not spectacular, defense helps, but it's not the main driver of team success. 

Exactly...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

At least this is a happy concern for the Red Sox to have.  

Iggy, Ciriaco and Drew.  That is a nice combo considering we had Julio Lugo and his 0 for 30-something hitless streak a few years ago.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree, Southpaw.  I love what Iggy's done while here, but I think they are a better team with Drew, for now.  They desperately need another lefty bat right now and Drew is capable of providing that bat.  

He's going to get a bad rap for the simple fact that he is a "Drew." The ironic thing is that his nickname in AZ was "Dirt," because he played so hard and never wanted a day off.  Maybe this can be re-visited when Ortiz comes back, but for now, in my opinion, it's clearly the right move.  

Hes a nightmare for the "metrics" guys. We interviewed their play by play guy in 2010(Darrin Sutton I think) also Matt Williams in 2010 . They watch everyone of his games and both basically laughed at the defensive metrics on Drew. Nobody is saying hes a defensive wizard, but I trust guys who have watched every one of his games than a bunch of stats geeks crunching numbers.

They say hes an above average defender that will get to a lot of balls. Much like his brother, his instincs and reactions are really good. If some here dont trust guys who have coached him and have watched every game of his and would rather trust somemetrics, then they are just stubborn, or have an agenda...

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

o boy, Iggy and Ortiz at McCoy tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to make the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Hes a nightmare for the "metrics" guys. We interviewed their play by play guy in 2010(Darrin Sutton I think) also Matt Williams in 2010 . They watch everyone of his games and both basically laughed at the defensive metrics on Drew. Nobody is saying hes a defensive wizard, but I trust guys who have watched every one of his games than a bunch of stats geeks crunching numbers.

They say hes an above average defender that will get to a lot of balls. Much like his brother, his instincs and reactions are really good. If some here dont trust guys who have coached him and have watched every game of his and would rather trust somemetrics, then they are just stubborn, or have an agenda...

Exactly, Southpaw...I've heard the same thing.  Bob Melvin raves about his defense as well.  Maybe people just don't realize that he was an all-star caliber SS before the injury because he played in AZ.  It seems people think this guy is another "Aviles or Scutaro" type player.  He averaged 65 extra base a year with an .800 OPS, but the stat manipulators will cite his recent stats before he was fully healthy as "who he is as a player."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Maureen Mullen  @MaureenaMullen #RedSox have optioned SS Jose Iglesias to AAA Pawtucket, activated SS Stephen Drew.    

Tough move and call but nobody in our organization thought Iggy would do anything with the bat when signing Drew.  Stephen needs to play at this point to earn his salary and will hopefully do well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Maureen Mullen  @MaureenaMullen#RedSox have optioned SS Jose Iglesias to AAA Pawtucket, activated SS Stephen Drew.    

Tough move and call but nobody in our organization thought Iggy would do anything with the bat when signing Drew.  Stephen needs to play at this point to earn his salary and will hopefully do well.

Yes, i agree and the season is still young. 

Sections
Shortcuts