Iggy optioned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Iggy optioned

Had to happen even though most of us agree Iglesias is ready now because of his defense and adequate (which it would have become) hitting.  This should be a very different Iglesias at Pawtucket from last year's version, one who knows he is ready for the next level.  Let's not forget the Sox have been paying Iglesias $10M to develop into an MLB SS, so it is certainly within their perogative to give him a little more seasoning while they see what Drew can do. 

Ironically--and I think I'm right here--the Sox have hit righty pitchers well enough to win every game against a righty starter this season.  I'm guessing that's just 3 of the 7 games to date because the four lefty starters were Sabathia (who we beat), Pettitte, the Toronoto guy, and Baltimore's starter two days ago.  The two losses were to lefty starters, Pettitte and that Toronto guy, who were pitching very well that day.  Drew bats lefty, which theoretically makes him less useful against a left starter, and Iglesias hits from the right side.  When Ortiz returns, he will bring another lefty bat. 

Whatever.  The good news is Pawtucket is really close to Boston, and Iglesias should return brimful of confidence.  The other good news is the Sox are having to choose between two pretty good alternatives, not the lesser of two evils. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Had to happen even though most of us agree Iglesias is ready now because of his defense and adequate (which it would have become) hitting.  This should be a very different Iglesias at Pawtucket from last year's version, one who knows he is ready for the next level.  Let's not forget the Sox have been paying Iglesias $10M to develop into an MLB SS, so it is certainly within their perogative to give him a little more seasoning while they see what Drew can do. 

Ironically--and I think I'm right here--the Sox have hit righty pitchers well enough to win every game against a righty starter this season.  I'm guessing that's just 3 of the 7 games to date because the four lefty starters were Sabathia (who we beat), Pettitte, the Toronoto guy, and Baltimore's starter two days ago.  The two losses were to lefty starters, Pettitte and that Toronto guy, who were pitching very well that day.  Drew bats lefty, which theoretically makes him less useful against a left starter, and Iglesias hits from the right side.  When Ortiz returns, he will bring another lefty bat. 

Whatever.  The good news is Pawtucket is really close to Boston, and Iglesias should return brimful of confidence.  The other good news is the Sox are having to choose between two pretty good alternatives, not the lesser of two evils. 

Yup, the Sox have plenty of depth at SS, for a change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Great way of expressing it, Max.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes Moon, they should see him in a different light. Last year he looked like a deer in the headlights at the plate and unsure of himself and overmatched. This year hes bigger, looks more confident, has a better approach and stands taller at the plate. Doesnt look overmathced...Are we looking at the same thing???

MOON DOESNT LOOK AT THE GAME, HE JUST READS STATS...this Iggy decision is the litmus test for baseball sanity and common sense...an awesome fielding young shortstop who is rising up to the challenge as a ML or a injured overpaid journeyman shortstop who hit .220 in oakland and in AZ was called out by his manager for not playing when he could....hmmm decisions...this would be a joke if ben werent involved

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to boboinfla's comment:

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

2) Bradley is our future CF'er.

I know, the Sox desperately needing another quality lefthanded bat has nothing to do with it...As far as Drew's defense goes, why don't you google some Bob Melvin quotes regarding Drew's defense.  Bob Melvin, you know the guy who actually managed him in Oakland & Arizona.  Saying the Sox are playing Drew simply because of money is ignorant and whiny, especially when you consider all of the players they paid to play elsewhere.  

exactly. Ive told a few here that we interviewed a couple people in the AZ organization that laughed at the defensive metrics concerning Drew and also praising him for his work and how he goes about his business. But what do they know, they only watch him every game. Nope, some fans here in boston look at a couple numbers and make their judgment on him...Brilliant.

The funny thing is that Ive been supporting Iggy all along and wanted him to start, but I understand the whole situation and why Drew was signed. I also know that hes a good ballplayer and will provide good defense and offense. I also understand that Iggy will be back.

I agree, Southpaw.  I love what Iggy's done while here, but I think they are a better team with Drew, for now.  They desperately need another lefty bat right now and Drew is capable of providing that bat.  

He's going to get a bad rap for the simple fact that he is a "Drew." The ironic thing is that his nickname in AZ was "Dirt," because he played so hard and never wanted a day off.  Maybe this can be re-visited when Ortiz comes back, but for now, in my opinion, it's clearly the right move.  

Hes a nightmare for the "metrics" guys. We interviewed their play by play guy in 2010(Darrin Sutton I think) also Matt Williams in 2010 . They watch everyone of his games and both basically laughed at the defensive metrics on Drew. Nobody is saying hes a defensive wizard, but I trust guys who have watched every one of his games than a bunch of stats geeks crunching numbers.

They say hes an above average defender that will get to a lot of balls. Much like his brother, his instincs and reactions are really good. If some here dont trust guys who have coached him and have watched every game of his and would rather trust somemetrics, then they are just stubborn, or have an agenda...

Exactly, Southpaw...I've heard the same thing.  Bob Melvin raves about his defense as well.  Maybe people just don't realize that he was an all-star caliber SS before the injury because he played in AZ.  It seems people think this guy is another "Aviles or Scutaro" type player.  He averaged 65 extra base a year with an .800 OPS, but the stat manipulators will cite his recent stats before he was fully healthy as "who he is as a player."

Thats because 2011-2012 stats work for their arguement instead of just being fair. Instead of questioning every valid response. Like the ones both of us have provided. Cant get any better than talking to the guys who have been watching him everyday.

The guy plays a very good SS, putting up an almost .800 OPS and playing an average of almost 150 games. Hes been hurt once in his career, which was the ankle break. Not sure why peole arent excited that we have a proven SS AND a young SS who has shown good improvement.

Ive already stated that Im a big JI supporter. And Ive been vocal about it. When most here were saying he'll never hit MLB pitching, I said I believed he will. I just hate when a good player like Drew is villified because it is not who they want playing. Skewing stats and creating certain concerns that are not, and should not be a concern.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Yes Moon, they should see him in a different light. Last year he looked like a deer in the headlights at the plate and unsure of himself and overmatched. This year hes bigger, looks more confident, has a better approach and stands taller at the plate. Doesnt look overmathced...Are we looking at the same thing???

MOON DOESNT LOOK AT THE GAME, HE JUST READS STATS...this Iggy decision is the litmus test for baseball sanity and common sense...an awesome fielding young shortstop who is rising up to the challenge as a ML or a injured overpaid journeyman shortstop who hit .220 in oakland and in AZ was called out by his manager for not playing when he could....hmmm decisions...this would be a joke if ben werent involved

Now, I'm completely sure that starting Drew is the right move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew has a .700OPS vs LHP and almost .800 vs RHP (.784)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:

Remember the marketing study the Sox did that advised them they needed more sexy players like Pedroia? I don't think they realize that Iggy is one of those sexy players, last September fans were tuning in just to watch him. As I said previously, he's worth the price of admission.

Iggy is a lot of fun to watch in the field. Recently he has even been fun to watch at the plate and running the bases. I remember a routine ground ball he hit to Reyes at SS that he just hustled and beat out. Now its time for him to go to Pawtucket and prove that the first seven games were not a fluke, that he really has improved at the plate and is worthy of playing SS for the Red Sox. If he can do that over his 250 PAs at the AAA level then I will become his leading supporter. On the other hand if he keeps up his current .589 OPS there then there will be a lot of folks eating crow here. In the meanwhile its time to support Drew as our full time SS and wish him the best. I don't expect spectacular out of Drew either in the field or at the plate, but I do expect him to be adequate at both aspects of the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Good points, Maxi, but if you look closer, Kuroda was knocked out with injury right away, Dickey had a flat knuckler so they sat on his fastball and they have faced 3 lefties.  Josh Johnson was the other righty they beat, and he is obviously very good, but it's not too hard to see that this team would likely get exposed against quality righties over time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

just like my post above. people take that stats that work for them. Use stats when hes returning from a terrible ankle break to make your case. As if we dont see through that. Hes hardly a "journeyman". Hes played with AZ since 2006 and got traded at the end of last year...But its geo were talking about here, so that says it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Good stuff, Four Bs...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

One thing I can't stand about this board (someone else mentioned this yesterday, but it's escaping me) is the tendency to try to pit players against one another. You can be excited about Iglesias and still support Drew and root for him to do well. You can even disagree with the decision to send Iglesias down, and still support Drew and root for him to do well.

Regardless of anyone's stance on Iggy, his readiness, etc., it is sad that Drew already has a battalion of haters hoping for him to fail before he ever takes the field for the Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

One thing I can't stand about this board (someone else mentioned this yesterday, but it's escaping me) is the tendency to try to pit players against one another. You can be excited about Iglesias and still support Drew and root for him to do well. You can even disagree with the decision to send Iglesias down, and still support Drew and root for him to do well.

Regardless of anyone's stance on Iggy, his readiness, etc., it is sad that Drew already has a battalion of haters hoping for him to fail before he ever takes the field for the Red Sox.

For whatever reason, they feel the need to rip players.

If they can't find a suitable reason, they make one up, or exaggerate.

I can't figure it out...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He was nick named Dirt in AZ for his grittiness. It just shows you how reactionary some fans, like yourself are, instead of seeing a 22 SS who cant get the ball out of the infield and hit 118 last year, you see Ted Williams because he had has a high average. Drew could be an All-Star you need to see if you can harness that now that he is healthy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

More people seem to be concerned about being "right" than actually rooting for the team that is on the field, which causes them to lose the ability to be objective.  Maybe it's low self esteem, maybe it's an "agenda" or maybe they don't take the time to look at all of the facts before they formulate an opinion and just hope to be able to relish an opportunity to say "I told you so."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Iggy was getting lucky in his AB right. And BTW, Moon absolutely watches every game. In reality Iggy was effectively hitting .200 and rarely getting the ball out of the infield. He just got a lot of infield hits and to his credit he got some hustle hits and played excellent defense.

I'm not happy about this either but we have to bring Drew up or release him / trade him. Those are the options. He doesn't appear to be mlb ready yet but he is coming to Boston and we still have Iglesias as a back up plan if Drew gets hurt or doesn't produce.

It should be clear as a bell though that after a few games Drew should hit very well for us. He has some pop in his bat and he should be about an average fielder. And we couldn't count on Iglesias to even hit .220 given the data before us.

I just want to watch Iglesias play though. Just saying.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Don't be sad Iggy lovers.  The baseball season is long.  No doubt we will see young Jose back with the big club this year and all will be well.  Here is how it shakes out:

If Drew gets hurt, Iggy comes back.

If Drew turns out to be the ".220 journey man injured" scuffler that Geo, with his blinders firmly fastened as always, well, then, no problem, call the kid back up.

If Drew is the pre-ankle-injury Drew, well then, no problem.  That will be fantastic for the club.

Me personally, I believe in respecting the streak.  The club is cooking on all cylendars.  So, I am loathe to see him go down at this juncture.  Would have rather seen Drew come back and take over Ciriaco's utility role at least until Iggy cools off from his amazing crap shooting hitting luck streak.  But, business is business I guess.  And, at the end of the day, I am ok with seeing what Stephen Drew we are getting.  If it is the pre-injury Drew, we are golden. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

jasko2248, I am sure you are right about the value of a good lefty bat, which has to be one of the key reasons why the Sox also re-signed Ortiz for two seasons.  I prefer Iglesias, but am not at all chagrinned Drew is being given a shot.  It's way too early to write him off. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

jasko2248, I am sure you are right about the value of a good lefty bat, which has to be one of the key reasons why the Sox also re-signed Ortiz for two seasons.  I prefer Iglesias, but am not at all chagrinned Drew is being given a shot.  It's way too early to write him off. 

Believe me, Maxi, I love what Iglesias has done and his work this offseason is clearly paying off.  I would love to see him remain at SS, but I don't think it's the end of the world that he goes back to Pawtucket for a bit, especially with some confidence.  He'll definitely be back this year and a lot can happen over the next few months.  At least while Ortiz is out, this team could really use another lefty bat...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Wow! I totally believe in Farell and if he decided to hone Iggy's skills in Paw, I like that. I believe there is wiggle room to  keep Drew for only a year. Somewone out there knows the details. I also believe JBJ shoul be sent down. He is our future. Lf can be rotated by Gomes, Nava, and even Carp if they keep him.

1) Iggy was not sent down to "hone" his skills. He was sent down, so Drew can try to earn his $9.5M.

Great point. Really what it all boils down to is the big contracts need to be out there to earn the salary.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs had a positive write-up on Jose Iglesias on Wednesday:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/rated-rookies-week-one/

Scroll down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes. I am looking at the same thing. Of course Iggy is improving incrementally, but he is not suddenly a good hitter just because of 5 IF hits.

You are right, he is bigger than last year. I should have said he is the same Iggy as the first day of ST as he is now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know, the Sox desperately needing another quality lefthanded bat has nothing to do with it...As far as Drew's defense goes, why don't you google some Bob Melvin quotes regarding Drew's defense.  Bob Melvin, you know the guy who actually managed him in Oakland & Arizona.  Saying the Sox are playing Drew simply because of money is ignorant and whiny, especially when you consider all of the players they paid to play elsewhere.  

How many managers bad mouth a current player's skillset, even after they no longer manage them.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I hope he is better than I expect, but I also trust the panel on the Fielding Bible. These guys probably watch more SSs than a manager.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

I agree with the move, but I think the "leash" on drew shrunk this spring.  If iggy continues his hot start in pawtucket, and drew starts slow.....watch out.

The issue is that Iggy should not have to "continue his hot start" to continue being our FT SS.

He can't hit the ball out of the infield let's not get too excited here.

You misread my position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

How many managers bad mouth a current player's skillset, even after they no longer manage them.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I hope he is better than I expect, but I also trust the panel on the Fielding Bible. These guys probably watch more SSs than a manager.

So Bob Melvin was just being "nice" to a former player? While I'm sure that happens, you do realize that he asked Billy Beane to acquire him?  Let's just agree to disagree as I'm not even going to acknowledge the fielding bible comment.