Iggy optioned

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: Iggy optioned

What a bunch of nolse about such small potatoes. ( And am not referring to Georom's parts, lol).

Iggy's career B.A. , including 2013's limited time, is .202, with OPS of .541. Drew's is .265, OPS of .762 even with recent injury-influenced seasons. Would Iglesias continue to hit .450 ?  Nope.

Will Drew miss many plays Iggy would have turned into outs ? Sure. Will Drew create more runs than Iggy ? Sure. The trade-off here simply cannot be quantiified IN ADVANCE.

So, after Oakland / Az. valued him at $ 8 mil. per season , Ben C. picked him up for ONE YEAR for $ 9.5 mil, understandable given that Iggy hit .118 last year, and Bogaerts's most optimistic E.T.A. is 2014.

Possibile scenarios going forward :1)  Drew sucks, Iggy sucks...trade / dfa Drew and call up Iggy in 2nd half.  2) Drew plays great , we're out of contention.....trade Drew for prospects at deadline and call Iggy up. 3)  Drew plays great and we're serious contenders......win W.S. and make qualifying offer, collect draft pick .  OR  3 A ) Drew plays great AND Iggy plays great while hitting cover off the ball...AND we're serious contenders......trade Drew at deadline for immediate help / pitching depth / in package for big bat / whatever needed most , call Iggy up, win World Series .

All choices excepting first one sound pretty darn good to me !  Yet many here castigate Mr. Cherrington for incompetence ?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

What a bunch of nolse about such small potatoes. ( And am not referring to Georom's parts, lol).

Iggy's career B.A. , including 2013's limited time, is .202, with OPS of .541. Drew's is .265, OPS of .762 even with recent injury-influenced seasons. Would Iglesias continue to hit .450 ?  Nope.

Will Drew miss many plays Iggy would have turned into outs ? Sure. Will Drew create more runs than Iggy ? Sure. The trade-off here simply cannot be quantiified IN ADVANCE.

So, after Oakland / Az. valued him at $ 8 mil. per season , Ben C. picked him up for ONE YEAR for $ 9.5 mil, understandable given that Iggy hit .118 last year, and Bogaerts's most optimistic E.T.A. is 2014.

Possibile scenarios going forward :1)  Drew sucks, Iggy sucks...trade / dfa Drew and call up Iggy in 2nd half.  2) Drew plays great , we're out of contention.....trade Drew for prospects at deadline and call Iggy up. 3)  Drew plays great and we're serious contenders......win W.S. and make qualifying offer, collect draft pick .  OR  3 A ) Drew plays great AND Iggy plays great while hitting cover off the ball...AND we're serious contenders......trade Drew at deadline for immediate help / pitching depth / in package for big bat / whatever needed most , call Iggy up, win World Series .

All choices excepting first one sound pretty darn good to me !  Yet many here castigate Mr. Cherrington for incompetence ?

You forgot keep Iggy in the minors for 20 days and keep control for one more prime year.

But I didn't read the whole thread, so someone probably pointed that out already. 

-Daf.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

A sad day for the 2013 Red Sox......  It will be interesting where the next 30 days takes us.........   As I have said before, the REd Sox pitchers got off to a great start (ERA) because there was a SS there that made the other team play with only 3 outs per inning..... The entire DEFENSE was pitcher friendly !!!!

Can somebody illustrate those defensive plays that Iggy has made so far that have changed the outcome of a game?

He's made 2-5 more plays than Drew would have made. It's near impossible to gauge runs saved. The innings got shorter, the starter went longer, the whole dynamics of the games were changed.

Lol, is it 2 or is it 5? When and where. If it's 5 then you're saying that he'll make almost 115 plays that Drew wouldn't make over the year.. very doubtful, lol. You're saying that one out of every 5 chances would be balls the Drew wouldn't get to. Nonsense.

it's 2. i've been counting also

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's made 2-5 more plays than Drew would have made. It's near impossible to gauge runs saved. The innings got shorter, the starter went longer, the whole dynamics of the games were changed.

Lol, is it 2 or is it 5? When and where. If it's 5 then you're saying that he'll make almost 115 plays that Drew wouldn't make over the year.. very doubtful, lol. You're saying that one out of every 5 chances would be balls the Drew wouldn't get to. Nonsense.

Look, I know making these determinations are subjective. There was the play in the opening game that mef429 said he thought Drew would have made, that I was stunned into nearly stopping the discussion with him over.

I said 2 to 5, because I think there were 2 obvious plays and 3 that I could see Drew possibly making or possibly not making. One was the play in the hole and throw to 2B, one was the tag at 2B, and one Iggy made look easy to he left, that I think Drew would probably make, but let's see how nimble Drew looks out there the rest of the season. (Maybe 2 to 4 is a better statement.) I feel,  It will be harder to judge balls hit past Drew and claim that, "Iggy would have got that" than it is vice versa.

I'm really hoping Drew surprises my as Aviles did last year. I know he improved over his first 2-3 years on defense, he's more experienced now, and hopefully his ankle has not slowed him down at all. I know he's a better hitter than Iggy both in BA and SLG, but I'd like to see him improve his OBP. That would help somewhat make up for my perception that he is not even close in range defense as Iggy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They can't even name the plays that made extra outs

wasn't the link to the video, so you could see for yourself enough?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26031217

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Iggy was getting lucky in his AB right. And BTW, Moon absolutely watches every game. In reality Iggy was effectively hitting .200 and rarely getting the ball out of the infield. He just got a lot of infield hits and to his credit he got some hustle hits and played excellent defense.

I'm not happy about this either but we have to bring Drew up or release him / trade him. Those are the options. He doesn't appear to be mlb ready yet but he is coming to Boston and we still have Iglesias as a back up plan if Drew gets hurt or doesn't produce.

It should be clear as a bell though that after a few games Drew should hit very well for us. He has some pop in his bat and he should be about an average fielder. And we couldn't count on Iglesias to even hit .220 given the data before us.

I just want to watch Iglesias play though. Just saying.

Exactly, boom. And nobody will see me blasting Drew over a small sample size slow start or jumping on his bandwagon if he starts out hot.

I will root for Drew as much as anyone else, and it doesn't make me any less of a fan to also watch his defense and wonder if "Iggy would have got that ball". It doesn't make me enjoy the game any less, as some here seem to think it does.

I do expect Drew to hit much better than Iggy would have going forward, but as I have said plenty of times, in my opinion, it's not going to be enough to make up for the dfensive differential, which is based much more on my high ratings of Iggy's D than any feeling that Drew is a poor ranged SS.

Let's hope we keep winning no matter who our SS is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy will get needed time to try to work on hit and runs, hitting behind runners and sacrificing.

Iggy might be the best bunter we've seen in Boston since... I can't even remember any.

"Sacrificing" is something he can teach. He's beyond "working on [it]."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I have said this twice before and I will say it again, this was a play I don't think Drew makes. I have already conceded that point. The question has ALWAYS been what is the second play that makes it two? You have not yet answered that question. Instead you give maybe plays. If thats the way you wished to count them, thats your right. But I have yet to see or hear about 1 single out that I don't believe Drew makes other then that play.

Drew is a fun defensive player to watch. But he only made one extra out, the play you showed and I have already agreed to. And one extra out in 6 games was actually surprising on the low side.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I have said this twice before and I will say it again, this was a play I don't think Drew makes. I have already conceded that point. The question has ALWAYS been what is the second play that makes it two? You have not yet answered that question. Instead you give maybe plays. If thats the way you wished to count them, thats your right. But I have yet to see or hear about 1 single out that I don't believe Drew makes other then that play.

Drew is a fun defensive player to watch. But he only made one extra out, the play you showed and I have already agreed to. And one extra out in 6 games was actually surprising on the low side.

the other play was against the yanks. ranged a long way to his right and grabbed the ball as it got to the OF grass just before it got past him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the other play was against the yanks. ranged a long way to his right and grabbed the ball as it got to the OF grass just before it got past him.

The one where  they didn't make an out?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

The one where  they didn't make an out?

The whole thing is subjective.  Does it really matter?

How long do you feed a dead horse?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Webster still hasn't given up an earned run yet. Struck out 3 in the 1st tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Iggy might be the best bunter we've seen in Boston since... I can't even remember any.

Marty Barrett! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Barrett_(second_baseman)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have mentioned them. Look about 3-4 threads above. Those are just the ones off the top of my head. It's 2 sure plays and 2-3 others that are debateable. Even MEF429, who didn't want to count the most obvious play (the one on opening day) knows there are 2.

I'm not going to get into with you. You ask. I tell. You ask again. I'm done with you on this issue. We're going in circles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Face it, the Drew acquisition was a bad one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

Marty Barrett! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Barrett_(second_baseman)

Great pull. Good one.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I knew the champion of the small sample size kingdom would be the first to throw the stone.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts