Iggy pinch-hit for already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Iggy pinch-hit for already

In last night's game vs. Cleveland, with the score tied 4-4 in the top of the 8th inning, Iggy was due to lead off for the Tigers.  He was 1 for 2 in the game with an RBI single and hitting .318.

He didn't get to hit.  Jim Leyland elected to pinch-hit for him with lefty hitter Andy Dirks, hitting .248 at the time.

What does this say about what Leyland thinks of Iggy's value as a player?  Pinch-hitting for him in a tie game, without any runners even on base?

I'm sure if the Tigers were leading Iggy would have stayed in the game.  But still, this kind of sends an early message doesn't it?

Meanwhile Stephen Drew hits a game-changing 3-run homer for the Sox.

Are we really so sure the Tigers wouldn't trade Iggy for Drew straight up?  Seems like they value offense more than defense at the position too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Iggy pinch-hit for already

That is why we got to listen to these Scouts, General Manager, etc on why they are making these trade.  Fans think they know more than them!!!  Ridiculous.

Iggy is a good player and we all know we hate to see homegrown players to leave the organization.  But sometime these scouts, GM, etc know that they can afford to let him go while Boston already have Drew as well Bogaret are in the waiting to be the future SS.  Drew is a talent hitting SS, and have been helping the club alot since the all star break.  Without his help, Boston could be behind Tampa right now!!

Go Sox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In last night's game vs. Cleveland, with the score tied 4-4 in the top of the 8th inning, Iggy was due to lead off for the Tigers.  He was 1 for 2 in the game with an RBI single and hitting .318.

He didn't get to hit.  Jim Leyland elected to pinch-hit for him with lefty hitter Andy Dirks, hitting .248 at the time.

What does this say about what Leyland thinks of Iggy's value as a player?  Pinch-hitting for him in a tie game, without any runners even on base?

I'm sure if the Tigers were leading Iggy would have stayed in the game.  But still, this kind of sends an early message doesn't it?

Are we really so sure the Tigers wouldn't trade Iggy for Drew straight up?  Seems like they value offense more than defense at the position too.

Leyland's an old school manager that plays the game by the book. I think you're reading to much into it...basically he played the lefty righty percentages. Iglesias batting avergae is misleading, since being aquired he's hitting less than .200. What this move does speak to is that late in a tied game on the road. Leyland valued the bat over the glove...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Leyland's an old school manager that plays the game by the book. I think you're reading to much into it...basically he played the lefty righty percentages. Iglesias batting avergae is misleading, since being aquired he's hitting less than .200. What this move does speak to is that late in a tied game on the road. Leyland valued the bat over the glove...

Good points, BT...and I freely admit that I meant to tweak the Iggy-over-Drew folks.  But I think the move by Leyland is an interesting one in the whole offense vs. defense debate.   

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I think the Drew Doll was outsold by the Iggy skirt that a lof of people were wearing when he was hitting well.

Oh so long ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In a tie game Leyland gave up his stellar defense up the middle for the 9th inning? I mean he could have tried to bunt his way on...Iggy's done it before. To give up your defense up the middle for the 9th inning either says that Leyland values offense more or everyone here values defense more.

Me, I prefer a more balanced player like Stephen Drew, a near 800OPS MLB SS who has solid defense.

Im beginning to change my mind about if the Tigs would take Drew over Iggy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What is the Tigers record since they aquired Iggy? They haven't lost a game. Baseball is about Wins and Losses, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In a tie game Leyland gave up his stellar defense up the middle for the 9th inning? I mean he could have tried to bunt his way on...Iggy's done it before. To give up your defense up the middle for the 9th inning either says that Leyland values offense more or everyone here values defense more.

Me, I prefer a more balanced player like Stephen Drew, a near 800OPS MLB SS who has solid defense.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  Tie game top of the ninth is exactly when you should value offense over defense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

What is the Tigers record since they aquired Iggy? They haven't lost a game. Baseball is about Wins and Losses, right?

[/QUOTE]

Was it difficult to type that with a straight face?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Let me preface this by saying that I think the Sox made a good trade.  In fact, I think all three teams made a good trade.  The Tigers would not take Drew straight up for Iglesias for two reasons.  One, they absolutely needed the defense that Iggy gives them and not the offense so much.  And two, and far more importantly, Jhonny Peralta is a free agent at the end of the season.  So is Drew.  Iglesias is under team control for 4 more years.  They will get Peralta back for the playoffs so they do not need Drew for then.  Iglesias will be a PR/def replacement for the playoffs.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  Tie game top of the ninth is exactly when you should value offense over defense. 

Partly sarcastic, yes.

Im not an Iggy hater, just a Drew fan having a little fun.

I think it was a win-win-win trade. Every team got something they needed.

I still think that sends a message that his offense does matter, no matter how good his defense is. It was the top of the 8th inning, not the 9th. Why not let Iggy bat there, maybe bunt. If they did take the lead then you want your best defense out there to preserve the lead, no? There were a possible 2 full innings to go in that game when they replaced him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Not my Iggy!! NOOOO, I hate you Leyland. Bring up my bogey Redsox. No more Drewy

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

This girl I knew had a real creepy guy for a boyfriend.  Eventually she broke up with him. It got very weird when even after the breakup he would follow her everywhere and see what she was doing and who she was hanging out with.  He would even report to his and her friends if he didn't like what he was seeing.  Some guys are just weird.......

Oh wait.....wrong forum?  Or is it?  I'm confused......

LOL

I know that guy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

This girl I knew had a real creepy guy for a boyfriend.  Eventually she broke up with him. It got very weird when even after the breakup he would follow her everywhere and see what she was doing and who she was hanging out with.  He would even report to his and her friends if he didn't like what he was seeing.  Some guys are just weird.......

Oh wait.....wrong forum?  Or is it?  I'm confused......

+1

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

bottom line is Iggy ouplayed Drew badly while they were playing here this year together in Boston....stop trying to re-write history....you were wrong about Iggy

As always - 100% correct!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

bottom line is Iggy ouplayed Drew badly while they were playing here this year together in Boston....stop trying to re-write history....you were wrong about Iggy

Was Drew hurting while he was playing with Iggy?  Since he finally went on DL to rest his injury, he is finally playing healthy!!!

Try to compare both guys when they are healthy!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have been doing quite well without Iggy, unless you wish to imply that they would have been undefeated with the help of Iggy Superslugger.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

No, he was much more lucky than Drew was.

Sorry, the numbers prove it as they are now balancing out. If you compare the two when both are healthy, Drew wins...easily.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Follow Liz Mullen@SBJLizMullen

MLB Player Agent Scott Boras has signed Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias. He was formerly repped by Relativity Sports. #MLB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Follow Liz Mullen@SBJLizMullen

MLB Player Agent Scott Boras has signed Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias. He was formerly repped by Relativity Sports. #MLB

Well, if Iggys offense never takes off hes got the best guy to spin it in a way that will absolutely make him look better than it is. He hired the right guy for the job.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias got spiked in a play at second base last night. That is why he left the game. He is out of the lineup again tonight due to the spike wound. Hope this news doesn't  disappoint you guys too much.

Stabbed by Foulke.