Iggy pinch-hit for already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Iggy pinch-hit for already

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iglesias got spiked in a play at second base last night. That is why he left the game. He is out of the lineup again tonight due to the spike wound. Hope this news doesn't  disappoint you guys too much.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Doesn't fit the narrative so like too many posters, we'll just ignore it.

Leyland didn't trust Iggy to bat in that spot and benched him today. The injury was faked. That's the story, and we're sticking to it.Wink

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

As of yesterday Drew had only one more hit that Iggy had during his time here! Drew as of yesterday had played in 20 games more than Iggy, and had more 65 more at-bats.

Again this is as of yesterday and only using Iggy's stats as a Sox player. One more hit is all Drew has! 

That's very true.

But Drew also has:

29 more walks

6 more doubles

4 more triples

8 more home runs

25 more RBI.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

As of yesterday Drew had only one more hit that Iggy had during his time here! Drew as of yesterday had played in 20 games more than Iggy, and had more 65 more at-bats.

Again this is as of yesterday and only using Iggy's stats as a Sox player. One more hit is all Drew has! 

That's very true.

But Drew also has:

29 more walks

6 more doubles

4 more triples

8 more home runs

25 more RBI.

[/QUOTE]

Drew also leads Iggy in fielding percentage at short (.991) to (.990).  OK, it's one-thousandth of a percentage point and doesn't mean anything, but if I'm gonna cherry pick stats and be petty, I might as well go all the way.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That's very true.

But Drew also has:

29 more walks

6 more doubles

4 more triples

8 more home runs

25 more RBI.

[/QUOTE]

Drew also leads Iggy in fielding percentage at short (.991) to (.990).  OK, it's one-thousandth of a percentage point and doesn't mean anything, but if I'm gonna cherry pick stats and be petty, I might as well go all the way.  

[/QUOTE]

As I was writing the above post, Drew committed an error.  So much for the miniscule and insignificant fielding pct. edge.

A nah nah nah nah nah on me and the other loyal bootlickers.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Yeah, but how many more out of the infield?    Wink

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Leyland's an old school manager that plays the game by the book. I think you're reading to much into it...basically he played the lefty righty percentages. Iglesias batting avergae is misleading, since being aquired he's hitting less than .200. What this move does speak to is that late in a tied game on the road. Leyland valued the bat over the glove...

Good points, BT...and I freely admit that I meant to tweak the Iggy-over-Drew folks.  But I think the move by Leyland is an interesting one in the whole offense vs. defense debate.   

[/QUOTE]

Since learning of Iglesias being injuried and being removed from the game due to that. It changes the entire argument. That said, I try not to engage in conversations where the topic is centered around trying to incite those that chose to see the game through a narrow prisism. 

End of the day whether you are for or against the trade it was a deal the Sox had to make and one they did so from a position of strength. No one can or should try to diminish the ability of Iglesias to develop into a quality big leaguer. Detriot given the looming suspension of Peralta had to find a suitable replacement and traded away a top OF prospect to aquire him.

Fact is that today Drew is the better overall player, iglesias is not and has hit below .200 since the begining of July in a over 100 at bats, which is not a small sample size. The question that remains unanswered is can he hit well enough to earn his way on the field as a full time SS. A question that can only be answered after he gets 500 at bats or so and shows that he has the ability to make adjustments now that big league teams have a book on him. Bottom line is the kid can flat out pick it at SS where he profiles as an all time great and is also a pretty good base runner. Given that he never has hit well enough to make himself the obvious choice and has been surpased by Bogharts on the Sox depth chart. Detroit given the depth of their lineup doesn't need him to hit .300 with Peralta coming back for the post season. they'll have a couple of months to evaluate him. Then next season my guess is that they do give him a shot to earn the everyday job? A dynamic that would exist if he played for the Sox too, however if Bogharts continues to tear the cover off the ball and shows that he has the ability to play SS at the big league level it would be a matter of if not when for him to surpass Iglesias and render him a chip or a utility player. So it is easy to surmise in evaluating the deal that the Sox in acquiring Peavy with Drew, Bogharts and Marrero in the system. Are better positioned in the now and did not sacrifice the future and all parties made a deal that addressed the now with an eye on the future. 

Sections
Shortcuts