1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Iggy Produces right away

In response to jackbu's comment:

Iggy drives in a run to help the Tigers to a 2-1 win.

Pressure is now on for Peavy.

Really? How are they related?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Why can we get players like this?Cry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good for him. I hope he goes on to have a nice career.

Im still happy with the move. And no, the pressure is not on Peavy now because Iggy got a hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Time for several posters to start minimizing Iggy's skillset and value.

Just watch...

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

They will love him in Detroit

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Time for several posters to start minimizing Iggy's skillset and value.

Just watch...

Sox4ever

They are doing it already. Calling him lucky. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew and Holt have 4 RBI tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I don't think Peavy will drive in a run tomorrow

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The "lucky" comment was made by a rival executive.  The comment was just repeated here.  I am guessing the executive was referring to Iglesias' high BABIP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

The "lucky" comment was made by a rival executive.  The comment was just repeated here.  I am guessing the executive was referring to Iglesias' high BABIP.

It was repeated here and agreed with here.  Why even post it here unless you are trying to disparage Iglesias ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

It was posted because there are some that seem to think the trade was truly horrible for the Red Sox.  It appears there are many who around baseball that think the Sox made a good trade.  This was just evidence of this.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

His BABIP shows how truly lucky he has been this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didnt say he was lucky...The stats did. I just acknowledged it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many posters here have mentioned Iggy's "luck" or his "coming down to earth" or his "not being ablke to sustain his high BAbip", etc...

Iggy did have some luck this year, but his defense was pure nirvana to me. Any offense he gave us was always going to be just icing on the cake.

What gets me most of all, is how so many posters say thing like "Iggy will never be more than a .625 OPS guy". The kid is 23. The same age as Bradley Jr, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, and others. He's actually younger than Britton, Workman, Wilson, Holt, Hazelbaker, and others.

He only has had just over 300 PAs in MLB and just over 1200 minor league PAs. There is still room for improvement on offense, but it is pretty unclear if he will or not.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

I thought baseball was a team sport but, apparently, you have brilliantly turned into a mano a mano game. Nice attempt at stirring the pot. Ignorance really is bliss, huh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

There are some players who can sustain a high BABIP.  Ichiro his first 10 years for example.  It has to be someone who has exception speed and bat control in my opinion.  I don't think Iglesias is in that category, nor do I think most of baseball feels that way.  The kid is absolutely a great defender.  And Detroit has a lot of ground ball pitchers who need that.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Red Sox will be paying for Iggy's services when he becomes a free agent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Many posters here have mentioned Iggy's "luck" or his "coming down to earth" or his "not being ablke to sustain his high BAbip", etc...

Iggy did have some luck this year, but his defense was pure nirvana to me. Any offense he gave us was always going to be just icing on the cake.

What gets me most of all, is how so many posters say thing like "Iggy will never be more than a .625 OPS guy".

Sox4ever

When was the last time someone said that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

What gets me most of all, is how so many posters say thing like "Iggy will never be more than a .625 OPS guy".

Sox4ever

Minutes ago on another thread.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Red Sox will be paying for Iggy's services when he becomes a free agent.

In 2019 you mean.  Stay tuned I guess...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

What gets me most of all, is how so many posters say thing like "Iggy will never be more than a .625 OPS guy". The kid is 23. The same age as Bradley Jr, Allen Webster, Anthony Ranaudo, Matt Barnes, and others. He's actually younger than Britton, Workman, Wilson, Holt, Hazelbaker, and others.

He only has had just over 300 PAs in MLB and just over 1200 minor league PAs. There is still room for improvement on offense, but it is pretty unclear if he will or not.

Sox4ever

Based on what I have read (since I am not a scout I will take the word of those whose job it is to know these things), I would be surprised it he hits over .240 for his career and a career OPB of over .300.  To me he is a Mark Belanger type (one of my all-time favorite non-Sox players BTW).  How important a <.300 OBP with stellar defense is will vary from team to team.  The Sox seem to think that Bogaerts is the better all around player for them.  As for his OPS, for a player like him that is not as important.  If he has a .320 OPB with a .320 Slugging that is better than a .300 OPB with a .350 slugging.  His job offensively will be to move runners along, situational hitting, etc. 

I think what some posters find the Iglesias hype a little too much.  To read one poster write that the Sox traded a future HOFer made me laugh.  Most of baseball seems to think the Sox made a good deal and sold high on Iggy.  Hey, they could all be wrong.  And as I said in another thread, the deal is done so it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks.  Just plan on watching baseball and rooting for the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sox4ever

Minutes ago on another thread.

[/QUOTE]

Which thread?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am not a big fan of Babip. There are a lot of things that it does not take into consideration.  But if you look at it, I don't think there is an extraordinary difference between his Babip and his B.A.  Watching him , you can see how quickly he gets out of the box and gets to first. He gets infield hits that others don't. He sprays the ball around.  Guys like Napoli and Salty actually have higher Babips than Iglesias, and much larger differentials in the Babip and B.A. The difference is the strikeouts. Iglesias puts the ball in play and has more speed. It seems to me that one can always find some stat, traditional or metric , if they are looking to prove a point. The bottom line is that Iglesias is batting .330 after 237 plate appearances this year.  That is quite a " lucky " streak.   As for defense, he is as good as it gets.    That is quite a young ballplayer that we gave up. 

Stabbed by Foulke

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am not a big fan of Babip. There are a lot of things that it does not take into consideration.  But if you look at it, I don't think there is an extraordinary difference between his Babip and his B.A.  Watching him , you can see how quickly he gets out of the box and gets to first. He gets infield hits that others don't. He sprays the ball around.  Guys like Napoli and Salty actually have higher Babips than Iglesias, and much larger differentials in the Babip and B.A. The difference is the strikeouts. Iglesias puts the ball in play and has more speed. It seems to me that one can always find some stat, traditional or metric , if they are looking to prove a point. The bottom line is that Iglesias is batting .330 after 237 plate appearances this year.  That is quite a " lucky " streak.   As for defense, he is as good as it gets.    That is quite a young ballplayer that we gave up. 

Stabbed by Foulke

You're being swayed too much by the gaudiness of his BA.  Even if he could maintain an average like that, which he can't, he's a slap hitter with no power.  Iggy has one home run and has not had an extra-base hit in over 20 games.   

Sections
Shortcuts