1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Iggy Produces right away

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Does the move benefit the team overall, in both the short and long terms?   When you consider all the factors, I believe it does.

Short term: probably yes, if Peavy remains healthy for 1.3 years.

Long term: certainly not, unless after 2014 we get a comp pick for Peaavy that is better than Iggy. How can a player signed just to the end of 2014 be a longterm benefit?

Iggy was under team control for 4.3 years. Montas is a good prospect as well although at a low level right now.

This trade did not benefit our team beyond 2014. If Iggy does not become a full time starter by 2015, then the trade may not have hurt longterm, but it certainly cannot "benefit" long term.

Sox4ever

Nope. Its for a short term benefit. Given the position we are in, first in the ALE and like most clubs, in need of pitching, it made sense to deal a player where alternatives are available from within the organization. Iggy would have made a fine utility IF in the future, IMO, but I do not like to have guys on my team who cannot hit some as well. Its a guess of course how well Iggy will eventually hit. I think you would be satisfied if he hit around .220 or so with little power-correct me if I am wrong-but for me, thats not good enough. When Ortiz leaves we simply cannot carry black holes on our team; we can barely carry any now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is no way to win. If Peavy breaks down completely after three starts, and Iglesias goes on to be an All Star, there will still be those on here defending the trade. They will say something like , " Who could ever have predicted that ? "  And keep up the deception that trading Iglesias enabled us to promote Bogaerts, as if we couldn't have done that anyway.

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I have said many times that I like Iggy. GG defense, but I dont think his bat will make a big enough difference to be better than a left side of Bogey at SS and Cecchini at 3b. I said Iggy could be about a 250 hitter, which is fine. But thats on the high side. These are my opinions.

My opinion is that Cecchini may be at least a year away, and may hit .250 as well. I doubt it, but we just don't know. I really like Cecchini- always have.

My Personal preference is a more all around SS like we have in Bogey. Contrary to some opinions here, that doesnt make me right or wrong. Its just my personal preference and my opinions.

My opinion is that Boggy may be a better overall SS than Iggy, but I would not say he is a plus fielder or baserunner, so I'm missing the "all around" part of Boggy's skillset. He may end up being a good fielder at SS, and from what I hear, he's a decent baserunner, but I think Iggy is better in both those areas, but is likely way behind in hitting and power.

What I get a kick out of is people saying that we didnt stick to the plan and this will effect us for years. Ive heard Ben lied and gave up the future for the here and now and is in way over his head. Someone even compared this to what Toronto did last winter. Really? Some of those who liked Iggy and are his loudest supporters are far beyond over the top about things and being a bit dramatic. Also my opinion.

I think this may be directed at me. While I do think the trade will effect our situation for years to come (at least the 4+ years of team control we had on IGGY), but I never meant to imply that our future is sunk or that Ben is doing an overall poor job. Just my opinions.

Also contrary to some folks opinions, they still have one of the best farm systems in MLB and look to be a legit team to go deep into the playoffs. With all that said, I look forward to the Sox very bright future.

I can honestly say Moon that wasnt thinking about you when I typed that. Although you are a vocal supporter and can get emotional (passionate) about things, you usually still speak (type) with a level head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Does the move benefit the team overall, in both the short and long terms?   When you consider all the factors, I believe it does.

Long term: certainly not, unless after 2014 we get a comp pick for Peaavy that is better than Iggy. How can a player signed just to the end of 2014 be a longterm benefit?

Iggy was under team control for 4.3 years. Montas is a good prospect as well although at a low level right now.

This trade did not benefit our team beyond 2014. If Iggy does not become a full time starter by 2015, then the trade may not have hurt longterm, but it certainly cannot "benefit" long term.

Sox4ever

Hey moon,

If Bogy ends up helping the team much more offensively and plays solid defense while Peavy stays healthy, continues to produce and possibly even gets an extension, would this not help us more short and long term?

Why would we need another pick like Iggy for the Peavy trade to benefit our future?  We have developing prospects every season that could end up being better than Iggy and still under team control for years.  Also, If Iggy ends up hitting 220 like we originally thought do you really think he is going to keep a slot in Detroits starting lineup just because he has a good glove?  In my opinion, the only way this trade didn't benefit our future is If Peavy fails horribly or spends most of the time on the DL while Iggy shines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

There is no way to win. If Peavy breaks down completely after three starts, and Iglesias goes on to be an All Star, there will still be those on here defending the trade. They will say something like , " Who could ever have predicted that ? "  And keep up the deception that trading Iglesias enabled us to promote Bogaerts, as if we couldn't have done that anyway.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Gale, isn't that always the risk of any trade? Best case, it's fills the greatest need and is a win/win, for both teams. Same thing happened here last year, when Reddick played so well, and Bailey was injured. This year Reddick is having a bad year and while Bailey struggled, and is injured again, he had a good stretch at the begining of the season, until the bottom fell out. Takes time to see how any trade pans out. That said...if Peavy doesnt throw a no hitter tonight, well...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

There is no way to win. If Peavy goes on to have a sub 4 ERA and wins games in the postseason this year for us and is a solid #2 SP next year while keeping healthy, there are those who will continue to say that he was a short term fix, that keeping Iglesias would have allowed us to watch his continued defensive wizardry (even though his is batting .220 with no power) and even though he would become a utility IF with the promotions of Bogaerts and Cecchini. No way to win. Well put.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good for him. I hope he goes on to have a nice career.

Im still happy with the move. And no, the pressure is not on Peavy now because Iggy got a hit.

Sure it is.  If Peavy does not live up to your predictions and Iggy keeps playing the infield well and hits as well as any other 9th man in the batting order, then the deal was a bad one.

[/QUOTE]

Did I give my predictions for how Peavy would perform? I dont believe I did. I listed his stats from last year and this year. I said I liked the trade. Please dont misrepresent me. The two (iggy/peavy) have nothing to do with eachother.

Drew went 2-2 with 3RBI and a walk (#8 hitter). Holt (#9 hitter) went 0-3 with an RBI. I compare Iggy to how our SS or 3b did, not the pitcher.

If Peavy can go out there and eat some innings, give us a QS, and keep us in the game then hes done a good job. I havent put lofty expectaions on him. Like I havent done for Iggy.

You on the other hand will probably take every opportunity, like you do with papi, to say negative things about this trade if Peavy doesnt pitch like Cy Young.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Good for him. I hope he goes on to have a nice career.

Im still happy with the move. And no, the pressure is not on Peavy now because Iggy got a hit.

Sure it is.  If Peavy does not live up to your predictions and Iggy keeps playing the infield well and hits as well as any other 9th man in the batting order, then the deal was a bad one.

Did I give my predictions for how Peavy would perform? I dont believe I did. I listed his stats from last year and this year. I said I liked the trade. Please dont misrepresent me. The two (iggy/peavy) have nothing to do with eachother.

Drew went 2-2 with 3RBI and a walk (#8 hitter). Holt (#9 hitter) went 0-3 with an RBI. I compare Iggy to how our SS or 3b did, not the pitcher.

If Peavy can go out there and eat some innings, give us a QS, and keep us in the game then hes done a good job. I havent put lofty expectaions on him. Like I havent done for Iggy.

You on the other hand will probably take every opportunity, like you do with papi, to say negative things about this trade if Peavy doesnt pitch like Cy Young.

I agree southpaw, we all know Drew, Snyder, Holt and even Bogy may not be flashy but they do play adequate defense.  Collectively they can probably also produce the same or better results offensively on any given night.  

If Iggy goes on to have a great career and Peavy struggles thats different, otherwise grabbing a #2 or 3 starter for Iggy was a steal.  Even if Iggy has a great career and Peavy does well for us it was a great deal considering the present state of our SP. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Last year, Reddick played a big part in the A's success. Finished well up in MVP voting. This year he has struggled, but is still the starting right fielder on a first place team. Bailey has essentially been a total loss for the Sox.  Advantage - A's.  We don't have to wait any longer to evaluate that deal. When you trade young for old, position player for pitcher , you are taking a risk indeed. Iglesias has showed a lot more promise than Reddick ever did.  This could be a real disaster of a deal.

Gale, isn't that always the risk of any trade? Best case, it's fills the greatest need and is a win/win, for both teams. Same thing happened here last year, when Reddick played so well, and Bailey was injured. This year Reddick is having a bad year and while Bailey struggled, and is injured again, he had a good stretch at the begining of the season, until the bottom fell out. Takes time to see how any trade pans out. That said...if Peavy doesnt throw a no hitter tonight, well...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox4ever

You cant look at if Iggy is a Starter in Detroit Moon. You have to consider if he was going to be a starter in Boston. Im not sure he would have in the long term. Im not so sure you you think he would either. So essentially, we traded a kid who had a very good chance to be a UI in Boston, for a pitcher who had #2 numbers as early as last year and was doing very good before he tried to pitch through a rib injury this year.

Montas has bullpen arm written all over him right now. The other two also havent been given high grades by the scouts. Montas has a nice arm, but it projects as a bullpoen arm in another 3-4 years, if he even gets to MLB.

Listen, Im sure this wasnt an easy decision for Ben. But we had to give something of value to fill a need. Considering the Rangers gave up what was equal to WMB, Barnes and maybe Owens for 2-3 months of Garza and the O's gave up their #5 and #6 prospects for Norris. That equal Cecchini and maybe Ball, I think he did a great job in this trade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Iggy drives in a run to help the Tigers to a 2-1 win.

Pressure is now on for Peavy.

Another dumb post !! As usual.

Hetch

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew and Holt have 4 RBI tonight.

good one!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Because as it stands right now the trade makes sense and works for every team. Nobody can predict the future.

If what you said does happen, I will still say that the trade made sense at the time but just didnt turn out good. I still have no issue with the Reddick trade unlike some because it make sense at the time. Same with this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew and Holt have 4 RBI tonight.

good one!

[/QUOTE]

True. And Holt had a nice bunt in the 9th.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Nope. Its for a short term benefit. Given the position we are in, first in the ALE and like most clubs, in need of pitching, it made sense to deal a player where alternatives are available from within the organization. Iggy would have made a fine utility IF in the future, IMO, but I do not like to have guys on my team who cannot hit some as well. Its a guess of course how well Iggy will eventually hit. I think you would be satisfied if he hit around .220 or so with little power-correct me if I am wrong-but for me, thats not good enough. When Ortiz leaves we simply cannot carry black holes on our team; we can barely carry any now.

[/QUOTE]

When Ortiz leaves, he takes his $13M with him, assuming he doesn't play another year or two. We lose 11 players after 2014 and a ton of salary. We will be a totally different team by then.

Yes, I think Iggy hitting .220 (your number- not mine) with no power and being the best fielding SS in MLB is still a net gain to any team. I also happen to think Iggy's offense will keep improving to a point where he should hit .250 with a .300+ OBP. That would further add to the net plus.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Also contrary to some folks opinions, they still have one of the best farm systems in MLB and look to be a legit team to go deep into the playoffs. With all that said, I look forward to the Sox very bright future.

I agree. My point was that no moves, since the Dodger trade, added benefit to our long term future. I'm not saying it necessarily needed to be added to, but I keep hearing from some here that Ben has stengthened our longterm future by not trading top prospects.

I can honestly say Moon that wasnt thinking about you when I typed that. Although you are a vocal supporter and can get emotional (passionate) about things, you usually still speak (type) with a level head.

OK, I just thought you had made some statementas on another thread that hinted at this.

I am passionate about defense, especially at SS. I always have been. I always will be.

I like our chances this year. The Tigers may be the AL favorites, but with a healthy Peavy, I think we match up better now with our new 4 man playoff rotation.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Last year, Reddick played a big part in the A's success. Finished well up in MVP voting. This year he has struggled, but is still the starting right fielder on a first place team. Bailey has essentially been a total loss for the Sox.  Advantage - A's.  We don't have to wait any longer to evaluate that deal. When you trade young for old, position player for pitcher , you are taking a risk indeed. Iglesias has showed a lot more promise than Reddick ever did.  This could be a real disaster of a deal.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but still hard to truly evaluate the trade, with Bailey's injuries/surgeries. We needed a closer, so I can't fault the trade. It's always a gamble, especially with prospects. Only time will tell how the Iggy/Peavy trade works out. As with Reddick, hoping he doesn't do well to validate it, won't change it. I'm never in favor of trading a positon player for a pitcher, but can't win without it, especially in the post season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree. My point was that no moves, since the Dodger trade, added benefit to our long term future. I'm not saying it necessarily needed to be added to, but I keep hearing from some here that Ben has stengthened our longterm future by not trading top prospects.

OK, I just thought you had made some statementas on another thread that hinted at this.

I am passionate about defense, especially at SS. I always have been. I always will be.

I like our chances this year. The Tigers may be the AL favorites, but with a healthy Peavy, I think we match up better now with our new 4 man playoff rotation.

Sox4ever

I can understand why you might have thought that, but no it wasnt about your statements. I had just got blasted by a poster I really didnt expect it from, and someone else jumped in to pile on. Both were being extemely unrealistic and dramatic about how our future has been ruined and they were even comparing this trade to what Toronto did in the offseason.

You may get a bit emotional about a move you feel strongly about, but would never be that unrealistic. This move isnt even in the same galaxy compared to what Toronto did to their farm system and future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but still hard to truly evaluate the trade, with Bailey's injuries/surgeries. We needed a closer, so I can't fault the trade. It's always a gamble, especially with prospects. Only time will tell how the Iggy/Peavy trade works out. As with Reddick, hoping he doesn't do well to validate it, won't change it. I'm never in favor of trading a positon player for a pitcher, but can't win without it, especially in the post season. 

[/QUOTE]

The thing is JB that fans look at what they did on another team. The fact is Red would have been a LHH 4th outfielder in Boston. They knew he was a very agressive hitter who would have a very low obp and probably BA, but had some "pop" in his bat. That kind of player is usually a platoon guy here.

It doesnt matter what he does somewhere else because their needs/payroll or whatever are different than ours. Reddick fit into their system, not ours, so he was expendable here. Simple as that.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

This week the Red Sox farm system was rated #6 out of #30.

Looks like were still one of the best ones Pike.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You cant look at if Iggy is a Starter in Detroit Moon. You have to consider if he was going to be a starter in Boston. Im not sure he would have in the long term. Im not so sure you you think he would either. So essentially, we traded a kid who had a very good chance to be a UI in Boston, for a pitcher who had #2 numbers as early as last year and was doing very good before he tried to pitch through a rib injury this year.

I have said that I doubt Ben would have pencilled in Iggy as our FT SS next year. I even think that if we had traded for M Young, Iggy and not Drew, would have been benched. I doubt Iggy would have even played vs LHPs instead of Drew or RHPs instead of Young, even though they both stink on offense in those areas.

I get why the trade was made, and have said numerous times, "if we are not going to make Iggy our FT SS, we should trade him".

Montas has bullpen arm written all over him right now. The other two also havent been given high grades by the scouts. Montas has a nice arm, but it projects as a bullpoen arm in another 3-4 years, if he even gets to MLB.

All true, but they all have more future after 2014 than Peavy.

Listen, Im sure this wasnt an easy decision for Ben. But we had to give something of value to fill a need. Considering the Rangers gave up what was equal to WMB, Barnes and maybe Owens for 2-3 months of Garza and the O's gave up their #5 and #6 prospects for Norris. That equal Cecchini and maybe Ball, I think he did a great job in this trade.

Again, as long as Iggy was not in our plans as our future FT SS, then the trade was great. However, that doesn't stop me from wishing Ben valued SS defense as much as I do. I liked the idea of going into 2014 and beyond with 3-4 guys filling in the left side of the IF and one eventually moving to 1B if they all proved their worthiness to start.

SS: Iggy (Bogaerts on rest days or if Midds or Cecchini play very well at 3B FT)

3B: Bogaerts (Middlebrooks & Cecchini)

1B: Carp,Nava and Papi for 2014, but eventually Middlebrooks, Cecchini or Bogaerts moved.

While our staff has improved greatly (as long as Peavy stays healthy), our future IF looks like this:

SS: Bogaerts (Holt)

3B: Middlebrooks/Cecchini/Holt/Snyder/ FA???

1B: Carp, Nava, Papi for 2014 (one less guy to choose from to be moved if Boggy is our FT SS instead of Iggy)

I actually expected Peavy to cost more than this. From Ben's perspective, he traded our 4.3 year utility IF'er for a solid #2-3 slot starter that is not a 2 month rental.

Sox4ever

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Well no. If what you said above happens then you "win". because you would be correct that it was a bad trade.  If Iggy winds up a guy that hits 230 and never is a consistent starter in MLB and Peavey helps the sox win a WS then it is a good trade and you "lost"

It all gets played out over time. Right now this thread is just a bunch of people thumping their chests.