1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Iggy Update!

sample size....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy Update!:
    [QUOTE]sample size....
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]
    221 AB's and that was his first time facing AA pitching. He also posted a line of .350/.458/.500 in 40 AB's in Lowell that season and hit .269/.292/.284 in 67 AB's in fall ball that year.

Certainly a larger sample size than you're using to say that Aviles is the answer at SS.

Unless you were refering to his tiny .333 sample, which was simply meant to say that in his cup of coffee he didn't look overwhelmed.  That's why it was prefaced with "FWIW".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think it's Iggy time yes but his recent success is very inspiring.  Iggy is still very young for even AAA and he has shown with time that he can continuously improve.  So this is strengthening my believe that he can be a decent hitter at the MLB level.  There were some scouts that said a few years back that they believed he had a ceiling of a #2 hitter with a good hit tool, gap power and decent speed.  

I believe Iggy will be our starting SS in 2013, with Will Middlebrooks to his right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update! : 221 AB's and that was his first time facing AA pitching. He also posted a line of .350/.458/.500 in 40 AB's in Lowell that season and hit .269/.292/.284 in 67 AB's in fall ball that year. Certainly a larger sample size than you're using to say that Aviles is the answer at SS. Unless you were refering to his tiny .333 sample, which was simply meant to say that in his cup of coffee he didn't look overwhelmed.  That's why it was prefaced with "FWIW".
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    i'm not saying aviles is the answer by any means he is just a bridge until iggy is ready. when that will be nobody knows but there is NO reason to rush this kid. he is extremely young and should take his time at each level, master it before he moves to the next. the way everyone does it. exceptions should only be made for injuries... but with the way aviles is playing this season its just best to let iggy learn how to hit pitching prospects before we send him out to face established pitchers..

its not like our current SS is hitting poorly and can't field a ball. theres no urgency for iggy. let him learn

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Iggy Update!:
    [QUOTE]7 multi-hit games out of his last 10.  He's now hitting .259/.326/.293 with 5 steals in 116 AB's. Aviles has been very good so far, but he'd better keep it up if he wants to hold off Iggy.  It looks like Iggy has finally fully recovered from last years wrist injury. The Red Sox #9 hitters this season have a combined line of .167/.242/.219
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Igg has been doing better as of late, but there is no reason at all to replace Aviles with him.  Let him get his at bats and get some confidence down there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

sample size....

People were using just as small a sample size after 10-15 games of Aviles hitting very well and Iggy off to a rough start; now an equally small sample size is showing the opposite results, and we are being asked to discount it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]sample size.... People were using just as small a sample size after 10-15 games of Aviles hitting very well and Iggy off to a rough start; now an equally small sample size is showing the opposite results, and we are being asked to discount it?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

i was talking about Iggys MLB numbers not his minor league ones

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, but others werent, and you were also talking about Mike's MLB numbers that are dropping faster than anyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

[QUOTE]Iggy might be worried about holding off Xander pretty soon.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]sample size.... People were using just as small a sample size after 10-15 games of Aviles hitting very well and Iggy off to a rough start; now an equally small sample size is showing the opposite results, and we are being asked to discount it?

Iggy .592 (at AAA) + extra year + great glove 

<  

Aviles .751 (MLB) + ok glove (small sample UZR ranked 4th in MLB @ SS)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Aviles is a proven major league hitter in a relatively large sample size.  Iggy has not proven he can hit AAA pitching.

You are being a tad disengenuous here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't get it with the Iggy rush.  Whether or not anyone thinks Aviles is a great shortstop, he certainly has been solid, and solid at the plate.  Why rush this kid?  I think it is wise, at this juncture, to let him get his reps at Pawtucket and really get his offensive game together.  The early scouting, and his pre-wrist injury production, suggested that he might be much more than a punch and judy Mark Belanger type.  Why not let him work on it at a level he can really handle and see if he can become a good hitter?  

Yes, the kids have been coming up and delivering shots in the arm.  Which is fantastic.  But, lets not get carried away.  There was need for Middlebrooks, Nava, Mortenson.  Aviles is making the Iglesias call-up a want, not a need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Iggy turned 22 this year and is almost 1.5 years younger than Middlebrooks who really didn't start hitting AAA pitching until this year.  If Iggy starts smashing AAA next year or was hitting very well in Portland this year he would be hitting well at the same level at the same time as our top prospect.

It is definitely a small sample size, and Iggy is staying put for now....but it should give us much optimism that he apparently has started seeing some success at AAA level pitching.  People forget that Iggy is young and not eveyone is a bryce harper. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]I said Aviles was a joke as a starting SS, and he is. The bean counting morons that "Iggy can't hit" was truly pitiful. Aviles has an OBP around .300, to go with his butcher's glove. Iglesias could hit a buck and provide the Red Sox with more than Aviles.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

The joke is you. Aviles has played fine for the Sox. You continue to pound away at players and all the while making yourself look like the fool you are. Do you really think true Sox fans or the people running the Sox care about what you think?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aviles is a proven major league hitter in a relatively large sample size.  Iggy has not proven he can hit AAA pitching.

You are being a tad disengenuous here.

No, there were many posters who were judging Iggy by his 2 week smple size to start the year, but are now ignoring his last 2 week sample size by saying it is a small sample.

I know Mike is a better hitter, and he has proven he can hold his own as a hitting SS, but he is slumping now, just as Iggy was earlier, but suddenly the sample size criteria is changing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I saw Iggy in Portland often and I saw nothing to lead me to believe he wouldn't hit at Fenway. Now is he ready? I don't know but he is close to being ready. I say don't rush him but there is no reason to hold him back either.
    As for a comment make by someone else on the youth like Middlebrooks, Barnes and Bradley I agree this team has as an organization held guys back longer then most others would have because there were guys infront of them (see Wade Boggs with Carne Langsford for example, or even Youklis staying longer then he should or would have anywhere else and that is just at 3rd base over the last couple of decades)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update! : Aviles is a proven major league hitter in a relatively large sample size.  Iggy has not proven he can hit AAA pitching. You are being a tad disengenuous here.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    I have to agree with Snake here.  Aviles has been in a slump that brought him back to (or a bit below) his career averages while Iggy has been on a hot streak.  I think you can look at Aviles MLB career OPS and compare that to Iggy's AAA career OPS and be comfortable with where each is playing for now.  

Iggy heating up is a very good sign, though.  The timing of his hot streak (1 year after his wrist injury), the fact he hit decently in Portland prior to that injury and his age (only 22) are all very encouraging.  It is possible his Portland #'s are a better indication of his true abilities and that his AAA stats were significantly impacted by that wrist injury.  Also, while it is unlikely he will ever have significant power, he is at an age where it would not be surprising to see him begin to develop more gap power over the next couple of years.  If he has marginal improvement at the plate he should be a solid defense-first MLB SS ... and there is the possibility he could improve much further and really be something special.  Aviles is holding down the fort just fine right now giving the Sox the luxury of letting Iggy develop in the best possible environment.  I will keep dreaming of 2013 starting IF of WMB, Iggy, Pedey and AGon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe Iggy can even learn to use the monster and smack a bunch of doubles

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get it with the Iggy rush.  Whether or not anyone thinks Aviles is a great shortstop, he certainly has been solid, and solid at the plate.  Why rush this kid?  I think it is wise, at this juncture, to let him get his reps at Pawtucket and really get his offensive game together.  The early scouting, and his pre-wrist injury production, suggested that he might be much more than a punch and judy Mark Belanger type.  Why not let him work on it at a level he can really handle and see if he can become a good hitter?   Yes, the kids have been coming up and delivering shots in the arm.  Which is fantastic.  But, lets not get carried away.  There was need for Middlebrooks, Nava, Mortenson.  Aviles is making the Iglesias call-up a want, not a need.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

couldn't have sait it better myself space

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

It looks as though Aviles has developed a case of poweritis. He's swinging very hard and trying to pull everything. Tonight against a lefty with a running fastball he did not try to go the other way. Thus he rolled over weakly on the ground or flied weakly to right. 
    If Iglesias picks it up with the bat, Aviles could start to feel some pressure. He has pretty good hands, a good arm, and decent range to his left. But he's a little sluggish to his right. Iglesias probably gets to a few balls that have gone through to Aviles's right. 
    This could get interesting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Iggy with his first HR of the season!  He's doing everything he can to keep the pressure on Aviles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Go Iggy!!! Meanwhile, Aviles hit two doubles and his 23rd RBI of the year. It would be good to have this kind of difficult choice. We aren't there yet but I like where the current trend points.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I saw Iggy in Portland often and I saw nothing to lead me to believe he wouldn't hit at Fenway. Now is he ready? I don't know but he is close to being ready. I say don't rush him but there is no reason to hold him back either. As for a comment make by someone else on the youth like Middlebrooks, Barnes and Bradley I agree this team has as an organization held guys back longer then most others would have because there were guys infront of them (see Wade Boggs with Carne Langsford for example, or even Youklis staying longer then he should or would have anywhere else and that is just at 3rd base over the last couple of decades)
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Theres nothing wrong with holding some kids back.  With Iggy, hit bat needed to improve and I think it will to the point he hits 270 or better in the bigs if he keeps working hard.  Even Lav only had a short time behind the plate in college.  With Barnes, I must have watched him pitch 90% of his games at Uconn and could just see the potential. If we bring him along at the right pace he could be a top of the rotation starter for many years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope Mikey catches fire again. Before tonight, he'd really hit a rough patch:
    1 for 5
    1/5
    0/5
    0/4
    3/8
    1/6
    1/4
    2/5
    1/4
    1/2
    0/4
    0/4

11 for 51  (2 BBs, 3 DBLs, No HRs)

I can just imagine if Iggy came up and had numbers like this in his first 53 PAs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iggy is slowly , but surely starting to figure it out at Pawtucket.  B.A. is up to .262 and climbing.  When you see the lift Middlebrooks and Nava have provided, you have to think Iglesias could do it as well.  Aviles could still get a lot of playing time due to his versatility.  Farm system is looking pretty good now . Bradley is coming fast. Brentz is improving greatly.  Lavarnway is waiting in the wings. Linares looks good. Ciriaco can help any time. Barnes looks like a future ace.  Don't hold them back.

Sections
Shortcuts