Iggy Update!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Iggy Update!

7 multi-hit games out of his last 10.  He's now hitting .259/.326/.293 with 5 steals in 116 AB's.

Aviles has been very good so far, but he'd better keep it up if he wants to hold off Iggy.  It looks like Iggy has finally fully recovered from last years wrist injury.

The Red Sox #9 hitters this season have a combined line of .167/.242/.219

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Iggy Update!

In Response to Iggy Update!:
    7 multi-hit games out of his last 10.  He's now hitting .259/.326/.293 with 5 steals in 116 AB's. Aviles has been very good so far, but he'd better keep it up if he wants to hold off Iggy.  It looks like Iggy has finally fully recovered from last years wrist injury. The Red Sox #9 hitters this season have a combined line of .167/.242/.219
    Posted by JB-3

GOOD ON HIM!  I can't wait to see the kid come up!  Unfortunately, unless this year really goes in the tank, the kid sees little time!  With that in mind.....  I hope Iggy doesn't COME CLOSE TO TAKING A FLIGHT!  Keep him on the bus!  We can wait!!!!!!

Love to see him flash the leather though!!!!  It's a beautiful thing to see!  Hold your breath hitter though!  STILL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Iggy might be worried about holding off Xander pretty soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

10 games and you already want to bring him up?? no way, he'll have to show some consistency in those numbers before i'm convinced..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy Update!:
    10 games and you already want to bring him up?? no way, he'll have to show some consistency in those numbers before i'm convinced..
    Posted by mef429

Last 10 games is just a common point of reference.  That's why I included his season totals.  He's hitting just like he did before the wrist injury.  He hit .285 in AA at just 20 years old.  He may not have power, but he can hit for a reasonable average to go with GG defense.  Meanwhile, the Sox are desperate enough for a spark that they brought up Nava.

In case you missed it, there were many on this board who questioned if Iggy could even hit .220 and used that as a reference point for if he should be a MLB SS or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Iggy might be worried about holding off Xander pretty soon.
    Posted by carnie

This is true, but it will be a good problem to have, much like Aviles/Iggy has turned into a good problem.  I still question Xander staying at SS long term, but he may be MLB ready soon enough that he won't be filled out enough to force a move off of SS when he first comes to Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well another option is Iggy to SS and Aviles as the extra OFer - not ideal but something to consider based on what else happens

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I said Aviles was a joke as a starting SS, and he is. The bean counting morons that "Iggy can't hit" was truly pitiful. Aviles has an OBP around .300, to go with his butcher's glove.

Iglesias could hit a buck and provide the Red Sox with more than Aviles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by mef429

People called for Lavarnway as the offensive savior and he hit .231 last year in MLB, and is struggleng nearly as bad as Iglsieas in AAA this year.  Yet I keep hearing how he has to replace Saltalamacchia very soon.

Besides, no one wants Iglesias in Boston because of his BAT....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I saw Iggy in Portland and he was a plus defensive SS and he has the tools to be a better then average Offensive weapon with a Batting Average north of .275 and OBP north of .300 while providing 20 plus steals on the year in my opinion.  He has hit better at every level once he gets comfortable (minus the injury issue he had post Portland)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

Iggy's defense would be an instant upgrade to a still struggling pitching staff.

At 1.2mil Aviles is a budget stop gap, but is up for arbitration at the end of the season.  There is no way the FO will pay him real salary.  

Look for Iggy at SS by August/Sept. if not sooner.  Aviles average is already coming back down to earth pretty quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

There are still many moving pieces on the left side of the infield: Youkilis, Aviles, Middlebrooks, and Iglesias. ( Punto is not in the running for a starting job. ) Middlebrooks has run into his first bump since his two-rbi double. Unless he's a house afire, he probably returns to Pawtucket when Youk is ready to play. If Youk struggles badly or goes on the DL again, Middlebrooks probably gets called up again -- unless he's tanking in Pawtucket. All the while, Aviles is still at SS as long as he's hitting decently. If not, then maybe Iglesias gets the call, but if Youk is hurt, Middlebrooks is struggling, and Aviles isn't hitting, who plays third? Probably Middlebrooks by a process of elimination. Aviles becomes a super-sub.
    The kids take over on the left side, and everyone hopes for the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People called for Lavarnway as the offensive savior and he hit .231 last year in MLB, and is struggleng nearly as bad as Iglsieas in AAA this year.  Yet I keep hearing how he has to replace Saltalamacchia very soon.

If we are going to use small sample sizes to talk about Lava last year, let's mentione he had a 30 HR and 120 RBI pace for a 645 PA season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

There are still many moving pieces on the left side of the infield: Youkilis, Aviles, Middlebrooks, and Iglesias. ( Punto is not in the running for a starting job. ) Middlebrooks has run into his first bump since his two-rbi double. Unless he's a house afire, he probably returns to Pawtucket when Youk is ready to play. If Youk struggles badly or goes on the DL again, Middlebrooks probably gets called up again -- unless he's tanking in Pawtucket. All the while, Aviles is still at SS as long as he's hitting decently. If not, then maybe Iglesias gets the call, but if Youk is hurt, Middlebrooks is struggling, and Aviles isn't hitting, who plays third? Probably Middlebrooks by a process of elimination. Aviles becomes a super-sub. The kids take over on the left side, and everyone hopes for the best.
    Posted by expitch

I don't think Middlebrooks is struggling as much as he's playing with a bad hammy.  If Youk were activated today, I think Middlebrooks would find himself on the DL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy Update! : People called for Lavarnway as the offensive savior and he hit .231 last year in MLB, and is struggleng nearly as bad as Iglsieas in AAA this year.  Yet I keep hearing how he has to replace Saltalamacchia very soon. Besides, no one wants Iglesias in Boston because of his BAT....
    Posted by notin

because you have to look at the people they would be replacing. aviles is getting it done so far. hitting great, playing a GREAT SS, filliing in at leadoff while jacobys been out. iggys not going to replace that hitting the way he is even with his golden glove.... lava on the other hand would replace salty who is an OK bat and abysmal defensive catcher.

in iggys case he is trying to replace someone who is playing GREAT you would be sacrificing a much much better bat for slightly better defense and an auto-out
    lava is trying to replace someone who stinks out loud... so you would be getting an offensive boost without losing much defensively.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy Update! : because you have to look at the people they would be replacing. aviles is getting it done so far. hitting great, playing a GREAT SS, filliing in at leadoff while jacobys been out. iggys not going to replace that hitting the way he is even with his golden glove.... lava on the other hand would replace salty who is an OK bat and abysmal defensive catcher. in iggys case he is trying to replace someone who is playing GREAT you would be sacrificing a much much better bat for slightly better defense and an auto-out lava is trying to replace someone who stinks out loud... so you would be getting an offensive boost without losing much defensively.
    Posted by mef429

How exactly is a .321 OBP an "auto-out"?  Yes, Iggy's not going to be a lead off hitter, he's more than likely a #9 hitter on this club if healthy, but he would provide a huge OFFENSIVE boost compared to the production so far from the #9 spot.

Also I wouldn't go so far as to say that Aviles has been "great" at SS, but certainly above average.  Aviles got off to a hot start this year, but he's come crashing back down of late.  His line on the season is "just" .269/.303/.448.

Iggy actually has a higher AAA OBP than Aviles' OBP and yet Iggy is an "auto-out" while Aviles is great?  Iggy may not have Aviles' power (although he hasn't gone bridge since April), but he certainly isn't an automatic out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not as of late because iggy is streaking.. but youll see his numbers go back down in a week or two. theres also a difference in that aviles is facing mlb pitching and iggy is facing AAA pitchers. they both have the same amount of errors so far too. iggy is best off in AAA until he shows he can CONSISTENTLY hit AAA pitchers before we throw him to the wolves

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

because you have to look at the people they would be replacing. aviles is getting it done so far. hitting great,

You mean hitting .245 the last 2 weeks or the .269 this year?

playing a GREAT SS, 

While he's doing better than I expected in the field, he is no where near playing "great SS".

filliing in at leadoff while jacobys been out. 

.324 OBP as out leadoff hitter is not awful, but it is not very good either.

iggys not going to replace that hitting the way he is even with his golden glove.... 

I think you are over-rating Mike's hitting this year.

lava on the other hand would replace salty who is an OK bat and abysmal defensive catcher.

I like Lava, but Salty has done well the last 2 weeks, and Lava is struggling. 

in iggys case he is trying to replace someone who is playing GREAT you would be sacrificing a much much better bat for slightly better defense and an auto-out...

Maybe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

not as of late because iggy is streaking.. but youll see his numbers go back down in a week or two. theres also a difference in that aviles is facing mlb pitching and iggy is facing AAA pitchers. they both have the same amount of errors so far too. iggy is best off in AAA until he shows he can CONSISTENTLY hit AAA pitchers before we throw him to the wolves
    Posted by mef429

And Aviles had a hot streak earlier this season.  You can't discount season totals for one player and not the other just based of the timing of their hot streaks.

Also, apparently Iggy's stats page wasn't working last night.  His actual numbers over his last 10 games are .400/.442/.475

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'm just saying, in the end aviles will put up better numbers against major league pitching than iggy will against AAA pitching. thats my opinion anyway, take it or leave it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

i'm just saying, in the end aviles will put up better numbers against major league pitching than iggy will against AAA pitching. thats my opinion anyway, take it or leave it
    Posted by mef429

I don't think there's anyone who questions that, but that's never been the debate.  The fact that the gap is as close as it is makes Iggy the better option because of his defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the gap widens when you bring iggy up and he is overwhelmed by MLB pitching... seeing as until 10 games ago he couldn't hit a ball off a tee..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The qualities that make him such a good shortstop , the quick hands and fast reflexes , should also help him to become at least a decent singles and doubles hitter. The Sox should not hold these guys back. Accelerate their development. Iglesias , Middlebrooks , Lavarnway , Bradley , Barnes and a couple of others represent our hope for the future. Move them along quickly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Posted by mef429

Master of Puppets ... ohh yeah!    Great tune .... ok, back to baseball .. Avilles is not losing the job unless he gets hurt.  He has been more than expected.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

the gap widens when you bring iggy up and he is overwhelmed by MLB pitching... seeing as until 10 games ago he couldn't hit a ball off a tee..
    Posted by mef429

2010: .285/.315/.357

FWIW, Iggy's a career .333 hitter at the MLB level.

Sections
Shortcuts