Iggy Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Iggy Update

Iglesias is hitting .371/.405/.891 while riding an 8 game hitting streak. He's also reached base in 10 straight games. Here's what Arnie Beyeler has to say about Jose's hitting: “The process, he’s to the point now where I think he could compete at the plate in the big leagues. A year ago, he didn’t. You saw that. He’s at the point now where he understands what a good at-bat is. He looks at pitches. He’s not afraid to hit with two strikes,” said Beyeler. “A year ago, it was just, ‘Get me out of here. I’m hacking. I hope I hit one. I’m going to go sit down.’ He didn’t really understand the whole thing. He realized, ‘I’m overmatched up here.’ Now he can put an at-bat together. He can battle you. He can move a runner. He can put a ball over your head if you don’t respect him a little bit. When he gets in a positive count, he can put a good swing on a ball and hit a ball over the fence. There’s some power in there. He hit a ball out in Durham that jumped out of the ballpark over that monster down there. When he hit it last year, it was pretty good — it was pull, pull side, up in the zone, but the ball jumps a little bit. There’s some power in there when he gets comfortable enough to generate it. But his focus is a little bit more on line drives, hitting behind the runner, letting the ball get deep. He’s really working on that, putting the ball in play. That’s the biggest jump he’s probably made. He’s realizing that it’s important to put the ball in play, that he can move runners and hit behind guys and not strike out, give at-bats away, and he’s done a really good job of that.”
    Maybe there's hope for the bonus baby yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Iggy Update

Why not give him a shot, can't hit any worse than Aviles and we know he is the superior fielder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Cherington will trade Iggy , Matt Barnes and Andrew Bailey to Oakland for Josh Reddick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Iggy Update:
    [QUOTE]Cherington will trade Iggy , Matt Barnes and Andrew Bailey to Oakland for Josh Reddick.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]Another hater heard from.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

You know what? Play him. They're paying him I think $2 million dollars to play in the minor leagues. People believe it's over. I don't see the downside. Give it a shot - unless it compromises his development. From now on it should just be a free-for-all of whoever we have. IMO

Put 'em all out there if they can help the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think he deserves a shot, especially with middlebrooks out. iggy at short, aviles at 3rd. Next year iggy takes over short. aviles util or starting for another team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : Another hater heard from.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Okay genius, why isn't he in Boston? Oh that's right we have Mike Aviles stunting the progression. I could buy Renteria holding back Hanley, but finally Iggy is hitting, that was always the problem, he could always field, but there he sits, BC must be trying to figure away to give the lad away.

Why didn't Cherington trade Shoppach BEFORE the trade deadline? When he had some real value, no he trades him to the METS after the trade deadline for , what? The Mets have nobody , and they are 16 games out. Cherington is a card carrying dunce. What rock did they find this Bozo under ? Probably Theos bedroom.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : Okay genius, why isn't he in Boston? Oh that's right we have Mike Aviles stunting the progression. I could buy Renteria holding back Hanley, but finally Iggy is hitting, that was always the problem, he could always field, but there he sits, BC must be trying to figure away to give the lad away. Why didn't Cherington trade Shoppach BEFORE the trade deadline? When he had some real value, no he trades him to the METS after the trade deadline for , what? The Mets have nobody , and they are 16 games out. Cherington is a card carrying dunce. What rock did they find this Bozo under ? Probably Theos bedroom.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]whatever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : whatever
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    That's original.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : That's original.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]At least as original as you, my down under friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : Okay genius, why isn't he in Boston? Oh that's right we have Mike Aviles stunting the progression. I could buy Renteria holding back Hanley, but finally Iggy is hitting, that was always the problem, he could always field, but there he sits, BC must be trying to figure away to give the lad away. Why didn't Cherington trade Shoppach BEFORE the trade deadline? When he had some real value, no he trades him to the METS after the trade deadline for , what? The Mets have nobody , and they are 16 games out. Cherington is a card carrying dunce. What rock did they find this Bozo under ? Probably Theos bedroom.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]

Will - by "finally Iggy is hitting" are you referring to the past week?  If so, please consider the small sample size along with the 10 (ten) XBH he has all season and his pitiful MiLB OPS of .619....and that after a hot streak. He cannot hit minor league pitching so not sure how you think he's going to hit major league pitching.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : Will - by "finally Iggy is hitting" are you referring to the past week?  If so, please consider the small sample size along with the 10 (ten) XBH he has all season and his pitiful MiLB OPS of .619....and that after a hot streak. He cannot hit minor league pitching so not sure how you think he's going to hit major league pitching.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE

Yes I know, but he is last the of the Theo Man Love Guys out there. Theo had to sign IGGY for $4 mil , supposibly the human vacuum cleaner. he is without a doubt another of Theo's bonehead fascinations, but he's here, there paying him, their going nowhere, maybe he can field like Omar Visquel , or Luis Aparicio. bring him up. They can't can't hit anyway, a flashy glove will bring some ooh's and ah's. If he isn't brought up, then it will prove that Cherington is a dunce.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

With Middlebrooks on the DL, there might be room for Iglesias.  The problem however is all those other SS's--Aviles, Ciriaco, Bogaerts, etc.  Iglesias has the great glove, but the others all hit better. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]With Middlebrooks on the DL, there might be room for Iglesias.  The problem however is all those other SS's--Aviles, Ciriaco, Bogaerts, etc.  Iglesias has the great glove, but the others all hit better. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You're correct, he is not and probably never will be an average major league hitter. Now, while he's on a hot streak, is the time to trade him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Bring him up, let him loose at SS. He is a great fielder and championships are won with good defense at SS. The Sox should not be concerned with his offense.

Also Aviles is not a every day Major league SS, neither is Ciriaco, and Bogaerts will eventually move to another position as the Sox project he will get bigger and outgrow SS.

Iglesias is the future at SS for the Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Give him a shot..... Heck, he will help the TEAM ERA by 2 runs per game !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]   Give him a shot..... Heck, he will help the TEAM ERA by 2 runs per game !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    Are you serious? Do you truly believe there are plays missed at SS now that cost the Sox 2 runs a game??  162x2=324 runs ??  Seriously??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

He's had 700 AAA level at bats now. He is what he is. The season is shot. Bring him up for at least a month and break him into MLB. It will pay off in the long run. This guy probably is only going to get better with more AB. He has decent hitting mechanics but is streaky. He probably isn't ready but the experience should help him. We need to prepare for the future. Give experience to Lavarnway and Iglesias so that they can maybe help some next year. Or not. Now is the time to find out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iggy Update : Are you serious? Do you truly believe there are plays missed at SS now that cost the Sox 2 runs a game??  162x2=324 runs ??  Seriously??
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]Put it this way,  I can't prove it (stats) however, the Red $ox pitching staff gives up too many 4 out innings.... With that said, improve the "leather" and you improve the TEAM E R A !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Why not give him a shot, can't hit any worse than Aviles and we know he is the superior fielder.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

If he could hit like Aviles he would have won the job in Spring Training.

I agree about giving him a shot though.  Time to play the kids and see what they have.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

He is still just 22 and IMPROVING!!!! I've been advocating not giving up on Iggy for a while and will continue to do so.  I know Xander is right there (and tearing it up in Portland) but you don't know what is going to happen in the next couple years.

Maybe Pedey gets seriously injured or for whatever reason it is time to part ways with him ----Iggy to 2nd? 

Maybe Middlebrooks has re-occuring hamstring issues and the DH is the best place for him with his bat.

Maybe Crawford continues down the spiral that he has gone down (very good recently however) or maybe we even find a way to unload his contract.  Then LF opens up.

Who knows what the future holds but I'm still optimistic that IGGY will be part of this team for years to come.  One thing for sure is that the infield will not be a problem area for the sox for years to come.  Everything else has big ??????? however. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Iggy Update:
    [QUOTE]Iglesias is hitting .371/.405/.891 while riding an 8 game hitting streak. He's also reached base in 10 straight games. Here's what Arnie Beyeler has to say about Jose's hitting: “The process, he’s to the point now where I think he could compete at the plate in the big leagues. A year ago, he didn’t. You saw that. He’s at the point now where he understands what a good at-bat is. He looks at pitches. He’s not afraid to hit with two strikes,” said Beyeler. “A year ago, it was just, ‘Get me out of here. I’m hacking. I hope I hit one. I’m going to go sit down.’ He didn’t really understand the whole thing. He realized, ‘I’m overmatched up here.’ Now he can put an at-bat together. He can battle you. He can move a runner. He can put a ball over your head if you don’t respect him a little bit. When he gets in a positive count, he can put a good swing on a ball and hit a ball over the fence. There’s some power in there. He hit a ball out in Durham that jumped out of the ballpark over that monster down there. When he hit it last year, it was pretty good — it was pull, pull side, up in the zone, but the ball jumps a little bit. There’s some power in there when he gets comfortable enough to generate it. But his focus is a little bit more on line drives, hitting behind the runner, letting the ball get deep. He’s really working on that, putting the ball in play. That’s the biggest jump he’s probably made. He’s realizing that it’s important to put the ball in play, that he can move runners and hit behind guys and not strike out, give at-bats away, and he’s done a really good job of that.” Maybe there's hope for the bonus baby yet.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Gee. Maybe the Sox made the right decision after all not to rush him and let him develop in the minors.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]i think he deserves a shot, especially with middlebrooks out. iggy at short, aviles at 3rd. Next year iggy takes over short. aviles util or starting for another team. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

If the Red Sox traded Kevin Youkilis and eat $5M to get Middlebrooks in the lineup, it makes absolute sense to eat Punto's contract (about $1.7M owed) and bring up Iglesias.

Punto isn't performing and hasn't all year and why even bring him back for nextyear.

Put Iggy at short, put Aviles at 3rd, and keep Valencia and Ciriaco as your bench guys. Simple.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]can't hit any worse than Aviles Aviles has been horrible all seasons. Aviles was the white flag from Cherry that Red Sox fans ignored.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Mike Aviles started off the season pretty strong after finishing strong last year.  But after that he's been unproductive.