Iggy with a laser shot!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Iggy with a laser shot!

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

nice to see iggy hittin one out, still not sure why the sox gave up on him and went and signed drew this offseason. waste of 9 mill,  would have much rather put that money plus the 28 mill we gave to dempster towards signing someone like anibal sanchez. 

Just because they signed Drew does not mean they "gave up" on Iglesias anymore than acquiring Mark Loretta meant they had given up on Pedroia...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

One game, but Iggy showed some pop in BP as well. If he hits over .300 with a good OPS in spring training, they better not send him to Pawtucket! Still a long way to go, but he shows some promise.

RS said in the off season that they would provide some competition for the SS spot. Signing Drew is an expensive way to get Iggy motivated, IMO.

Let's put it this way, if Iggy outhits Drew, it's stupid to send him to Pawtucket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

Nobody would touch Drew's contract.  I look for Bailey to have a big bounce back season, & could net us a quality #3+ starting pitcher or high quality second tier position player.  OF?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

nice to see iggy hittin one out, still not sure why the sox gave up on him and went and signed drew this offseason. waste of 9 mill,  would have much rather put that money plus the 28 mill we gave to dempster towards signing someone like anibal sanchez. 

I would rather have 5-6 years of anibal sanchez and iglesias a potentially elite defensive ss than 36 year old  career NL pitcher ryan dempster and stephen drew who is average defensively and has been inconsistant at the plate. The sox fo flat out is not good at making free agent signings. Its actually quite astonishing how bad they are. gomes for 10 mill over 2 years? really? like talk about aiming low. we should have been trying to get justin upton. but no, we get johnny gomes and mike carp. like its actually a joke, we dump gonzo, crawford and beckett and replace them with mediocre, past their prime players. They dont seem to get it, victorino for 3 years 39 mill was a joke of a signing, did they not watch him decline the past 3 years? we should have been restocking on talent this offseason after dumping the guys we did at the deadline. not loading up on gap fillers. 

But you have Drew here for a year and Dempster for 2. Oppose to 5-6 years of Sanchez. On top Drew will produce this year while Iggy definitely needs more time. The Drew makes a ton of sense since it only one year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Drew's last healthy season 2010=.810 OPS and 3.8 WAR

Avilles last season=.663 OPS and 0.7 WAR

I fail to see the comparison?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bolgasam. Show bolgasam's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Ironic enough iggy hits a HR but makes an error at short.

To be fair, a taller 1B might have had that throw. And he made a nice play on the caught stealing.

What I heard from a few scouts about Iggy was he has such great skills and range at SS that his biggest problem from time to time is getting sloppy with a routine play; which was exactly where he made an error today.  So there is room for growth with him defensively.  Regardless I'm still impressed by the kid....pedey was happy for him, I've heard he's been helping a lot as well.

Where do you chat with these scouts? Please.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to user_2772917's comment:

To be fair, a taller 1B might have had that throw. And he made a nice play on the caught stealing.

What I heard from a few scouts about Iggy was he has such great skills and range at SS that his biggest problem from time to time is getting sloppy with a routine play; which was exactly where he made an error today.  So there is room for growth with him defensively.  Regardless I'm still impressed by the kid....pedey was happy for him, I've heard he's been helping a lot as well.

Please see my last comment..... Appearently reading comprehension has slipped on this forum.  That or you guys are joking, in which case I apologize.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Drew will do a fine job at SS

No, he won't, and he's expensive. Total nonsense to sign S. Drew.

What happened to the Mike Aviles fanclub?

What does Aviles have to do with Drew?

Aviles was a reasonably paid guy already under contract who was supposed to tend to the job until the FO thought  Iggy was ready.

Now its a year later, they still don't think Iggy is ready and now they signed Drew for about 4 times a year more than Aviles was getting paid.

I don't get the connection. 

Softie is decidedly non-linear.  Probably doesn't realize that Aviles is no longer with the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Just because they signed Drew does not mean they "gave up" on Iglesias anymore than acquiring Mark Loretta meant they had given up on Pedroia...

It seems like less and less of the posters understand player development.

Half the posters gave up on Iglesias because of a few bad ABs last year at a very young age.  I thought RS34 was among them, but I could be wrong.

Now we have posters that did a 180, and don't understand why we signed Drew for one year.

Is it that difficult to think that Iglesias is still a solid prospect, but that he needs another year in the minors?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

For 9+ million / yr., I still am mystified by the Drew signing.  Especially with the uncertainty coming off the injury.  I would have platooned Ciriaco & Iggy before spending that kind of money on Drew! 

Where Stiffy is completely wrong?  He simply does not have enough baseball knowledge to see that Aviles was a bargain for his offensive production.  Relatively speaking, he played well defensively too.  Certainly above par.  Stiffy just needs a bit more experience in the bigs.  You can't blame the guy, as he's always wanted to be a pretend GM.  A step up from being a pretend lawyer???  He should follow George Costanza's lead and become a pretend Oceanographer.  :)

Marine Biologist you clown.

Ahhhh!  I stand corrected....  As they say about a broken clock, Triumph is correct.  I will take a look for the other correct post.

Score one for Stiffy's female dog.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Move over Peddy, we have a new laser show.

How many more will Iggy hit by the end of Spring training? I say 5.

He has always had alright power. The problem is contact.

He had good contact last year. Problem was the ball went right at someone most of the time. he had a lot of back luck last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

btw....  back to Iggy...  If I were the Sox, I would have this kid hooked up with his own personal hitting coach.  The best available!!!  I would have this kid eat, sleep, drink, etc. with the guy 24/7 this entire coming season!  Iggy could really be something special for the Sox if he could simply hit .250+ with a decent OBP of say .320. 

Does anybody know what they're doing with the kid with respect to hitting?

He sure did look good hitting that ball over Green Monste South :)  Strong!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to user_2772917's comment:

Please see my last comment..... Appearently reading comprehension has slipped on this forum.  That or you guys are joking, in which case I apologize.

I think it was pretty obvious what you meant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He had good contact last year. Problem was the ball went right at someone most of the time. he had a lot of back luck last year.

He doesnt have "alright power" though. As I said 5 homers in his entire pro career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He doesnt have "alright power" though. As I said 5 homers in his entire pro career.

First off, I agree that Iglesias will never be known for his power.  But if a guy can add strength and weight he should be able to increase his power.  I know there is much more to the equation, but all things considered more strength equals more power......in the absence of that belief one would have to assume Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds deserve every home run they got.

Now I have no idea what iggy will do, but for arguments sake lets say he was a 1-3 Hr guy before.....perhaps with his added size and strength he has the potential to hit 8-9 while beating up the green monster with a few more doubles as well. 

I do understand the ridiculousness of getting excited over 1 home run in a spring training game.  But non the less he had the power to put one over the fence after we've been told hed been working on adding strength.

Im still intrigued by Iglesias, and he's still learning.....at least that's what the scouts tell me. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Half the posters gave up on Iglesias because of a few bad ABs last year at a very young age.  I thought RS34 was among them, but I could be wrong.

Now we have posters that did a 180, and don't understand why we signed Drew for one year.

Is it that difficult to think that Iglesias is still a solid prospect, but that he needs another year in the minors?

By no means are rankings definitive, but it is not just posters who think JI may not be the prospect he once was.

Sox Prospects  RS rank 

Sep  2009      11th

Apr  2011       2nd

Now               10th

Baseball America all prospects  rank

2011  52nd

Now   204th

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Last year, Iggy showed some improvement in AAA with contact and his K/BB%.  I am moderately optimistic  about his potential for improvement this year ... especially the possibility of showing some actual gap power.  Looking for:

- K/BB rates similar to / better than last year's #'s

- BA  .270+ / OBP .325+

- SLG > OBP

If he can approach .700 OPS with better contact, plate discipline and some actual gap power, I like his chances for success in the MLB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I disagree. We all know he's ready defensively and he did hit some rockets last year. A good hitting coach can bring him along at the big league level. If you look at his mechanics, they are solid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

I disagree. We all know he's ready defensively and he did hit some rockets last year. A good hitting coach can bring him along at the big league level. If you look at his mechanics, they are solid.

that's wishful thinking... he had 1 good month of hitting last season. Quit trying to rush the kid. he'll be ready when he is ready. He is still very young. Let him work on his hitting before we throw him to the wolves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

He hit a rocket last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Iggy will get his chance. 

Drew is not a very good ball player.  That will be obvious soon enough.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Iggy will get his chance. 

Drew is not a very good ball player.  That will be obvious soon enough.

so sayeth SG..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I would love it if "chickenandboose" would lose his popularity here. I think creating that name, and then even posting postive comments keeps that screenname alive. Win win for the creator. JMO

Sections
Shortcuts