Iglesias and his bat...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Iglesias and his bat...

In response to charliedarling's comment:

On another (but related) note, I think that it time for Drew to get some ground balls at third base, second base and maybe even first base.  It would help the team this year and would really help him continue his major league career.  Unless this guy can get his average up to .300 by the end of the season, and as a Sox fan I hope he does, there will be no team willing to give him anywhere near the $9M/year he is making now.  With his less than .250 batting average he has "utility man" written all over him.

Great idea.  Does this attitude toward versitility remind you of some other coach in New England? Smile  Hint:  A fairly successful one who coaches a fall/winter sport.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Moon : I say .350......he continues channeling Rod Carew.

.407           He want's Ted's record.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

How many of his infield hits have come with two strikes? With his reflexes and bunting ability I'm almost inclined to think he's able to place balls, because it's becoming uncanny. 

I think a guy like Brett or Ted Williams could have done that easily, but they wouldn't give up a chance to hammer the ball. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

His BABIP is unmaintainable.  And, he still has holes in his swing/pitch recognition.  But something happened between his April stint and second call-up.  There are still the hit-em-where-they-aint, seeing-eye singles.  But Jose is craaacking the ball too.  Showing what the scouts said was there but we havent been privvy to yet, POWER.  Some of that is his change in work-out regimen.  He is no gangly kid anymore.  But I am guessing it also comes from his developing patience.  Waiting for his pitch to drive.  Even if his average is unmaintainable (of course it is), he is becoming a bona fide big league hitter right in front of our eyes.  Between his good bunting and practical speed and respectable power, he is not an easy out, and pitchers have to respect him.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Peter Gammons made an excellent point last night when talking about how quickly Iggy gets out of the box.  While he doesn't appear to have blinding speed his raw foot speed is above average plus he has two things going for him. 

First, he has great reflexes (have you seen him play 3B lately?) which help him out of the box, and he accelerates quickly.  He's at full speed almost immediately. Those two things will get you a lot of IF hits.  That tells me that while his current BAPIP on IF hits may not be sustainable, but Iggy's are going to be better than most people's.

Does anyone do elapsed time between when a batter makes contact with the ball and when the runner reaches 1st?  my eyeballs tell me he's quicker to 1st than most but I'm wondering if there's any data to back it up. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Great point about Iggy being able to maintain a BABIP that is higher than the normal .300 .  He hits the ball on the ground more than average, has better than average speed, and gets out of the box well.  It wouldn't be a stretch for him to maintain a .320 BABIP, IMO.

Some interesting stats, for which I must give credit to a poster on another site:

The league averages 2.5 infield hits per 100 PAs.  Iggy has 14 infield hits in 102 PAs.

If you normalize Iggy's numbers to a .300 BABIP, he would still be hitting .265/.327/.385 which would be more than acceptable for any SS, and pretty darn good for a defensive wizard like Iggy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

How many of his infield hits have come with two strikes? With his reflexes and bunting ability I'm almost inclined to think he's able to place balls, because it's becoming uncanny. 

I think a guy like Brett or Ted Williams could have done that easily, but they wouldn't give up a chance to hammer the ball. 

Here is a link to an article at ESPN that breaks down each of Iggy's 26 hits over his 17 game hit streak by count, type of pitch, and type of hit:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/37155/jose-iglesias-hitting-streak-is-a-sham

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

He is lucky, and his luck will change.  However, there can be no question his approach at the plate has improved.  His bat should not force the Sox to take him out of the lineup--and by that I mean after his average gets back to normal, like .250.  And it could be higher because he could continue to improve even while his luck turns bad. 

When the Sox let Ciriaco go, they were also saying Iglesias is here to stay. 

Well stated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Here is a link to an article at ESPN that breaks down each of Iggy's 26 hits over his 17 game hit streak by count, type of pitch, and type of hit:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/37155/jose-iglesias-hitting-streak-is-a-sham

[/QUOTE] Thanks for the link. With a reputation as "good glove/no bat" guy, what Iglesias has done so far is astonishing. His glove work has been as advertised, but his hitting is way-better than anyone anticipated. I don't care how he is getting on---he's getting his bat on the ball and getting on base. While I'd like to see him playing everyday, maybe being on the bench soaking up instruction(pitching tendencies)/hitting tips has been a great help to him. Even if he levels off at .250, I see him as a great contributor to Sox success this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy is currently 40 for 92 (.438). Here's where he will end up if he does this the rest of the way:

20 for 108 (.185) > 60/200  .300

40 for 216 (.185) > 80/308  .260

60 for 324 (.185) > 100/418 .239

60 for 208 (.288) > 100/300 .333

90 for 308 (.292) > 130/400 .325

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I read that. One thing came to mind. Chris Davis hitting a walk-off blooper against the Sox last week... I don't remember anyone stopping the game and demanding a do-over because THAT hit was a "sham". Sham or not, O's won, Sox lost. They didn't have to be so crude & insulting about the way Iglesias is hitting. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

Thanks for the link. With a reputation as "good glove/no bat" guy, what Iglesias has done so far is astonishing. His glove work has been as advertised, but his hitting is way-better than anyone anticipated. I don't care how he is getting on---he's getting his bat on the ball and getting on base. While I'd like to see him playing everyday, maybe being on the bench soaking up instruction(pitching tendencies)/hitting tips has been a great help to him. Even if he levels off at .250, I see him as a great contributor to Sox success this season.

Even though I much prefer a defensive SS over an offensive one, I was in favor of the Drew signing this offseason because of Iglesias' horrid offensive numbers last season.  No matter how good he is with the glove, the numbers from last season were hard to overcome.  We know he's not going to maintain his current pace, but if he can hit .250 ish, that is more than good enough with his defense.

All that said, I still am not in favor of trading Drew.  I just think the depth that he provides is too valuable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I read that. One thing came to mind. Chris Davis hitting a walk-off blooper against the Sox last week... I don't remember anyone stopping the game and demanding a do-over because THAT hit was a "sham". Sham or not, O's won, Sox lost. They didn't have to be so crude & insulting about the way Iglesias is hitting. 

I agree, it doesn't matter what kind of hits they are, they still count as hits.

I would be thrilled if Iglesias continued hitting .400+, believe me!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

I agree, it doesn't matter what kind of hits they are, they still count as hits.

I would be thrilled if Iglesias continued hitting .400+, believe me!

hey, it worked for Bucky Dent :-)...besides,does he really need to hit in that lineup? that would be like putting Iggy on the 04' Sox and complain that he's NOT hitting Tongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

At the end of last year, he was scorching the ball but right at people. No one said he was unlucky, they said he couldn't hit ML pitching. 

Now this year, he's getting some of those balls put in play to fall so he's lucky. Many of you do not want this kid to succeed and I question your fandom. 

You don't have an 18 game hit streak by luck alone. He's got the best glove on the infield and more than proven he can hit at this level.

Give the kid his due!

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

[QUOTE]

At the end of last year, he was scorching the ball but right at people. No one said he was unlucky, they said he couldn't hit ML pitching. 

Now this year, he's getting some of those balls put in play to fall so he's lucky. Many of you do not want this kid to succeed and I question your fandom. 

You don't have an 18 game hit streak by luck alone. He's got the best glove on the infield and more than proven he can hit at this level.

Give the kid his due!

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

90% of the anti-Iggy crowd are the ones who claim disdain for haters and bashers... there are less and less of them now though... Iggy has been that good.

[/QUOTE]

Some of the plays he's made at 3rd make WMB look like a busher and he has the quickest turn I've seen at SS. He's not yet productive (RBI wise) on offense but that should come.