Iglesias can't hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Iglesias can't hit

Except off Hellickson and Niemann.....Doubled off each.

6 for 18 including 3 doubles and a HR. But this is ST, nothing counts right? Even though Drew is just 2 for 13, he is a lock to start at SS.

Send Iggy down to AAA so he can learn to hit ML pitching!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Iglesias can't hit

In response to Alibiike's comment:

6 for 18 including 3 doubles and a HR. But this is ST, nothing counts right? Even though Drew is just 2 for 13, he is a lock to start at SS.

Alibi, I am happy to revise my take on Iglesias.  My previous assessment and prescription was:  too many flaws in swing/pitch recognition:  keep him in Rhode Isalnd until he works it out.  This take was born out of analysis of his performance in the minors as well as his cups of coffee in the Show.

As with Jackie Bradley, I am happy to consider speeding up my own prescribed timetable on Jose.  I can think of nothing more beautiful in the beautiful game of baseball than a silky smooth, gobble-up shortstop.  Jose is no doubt that.  And I have always maintained that, while he has heretofore been unable to work the kinks out, he has the potential to be a good hitter.

Great to see him proving us doubters wrong and making this camp all the more interesting.

I only caution that we are still in the first days of March.  If he is still hitting when pitchers really start finding their grooves in a couple weeks, f*** it, put him on the 25, start him and make Drew utility guy.

In any case, great to see him hitting, and with pop to boot.  Clear that some winter work has proved valuable.   Whilst you can take a small measure of I-told-you-so tone, you have to admit, there was really nothing in Iglesias' offensive performance before these past couple weeks that would suggest that he could hit at the major league level.  Now, for what early ST returns are worth, there is a glimmer of hope that he can.  And if he can, WOOHOO!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

18 ABs in the first week of ST when pitchers are throwing mostly fastballs and are certainly not attacking hitters... It might be telling that he is doing so well but don't put much stock into it. if he keeps up this pace throughout ST and into the beginning of the season i might be convinced. Remember, he was hitting well for a month last season and then hit a paultry .118 afterwards. I'm not looking for a decent 20 AB stretch.... i'm looking for a consistent display of good hitting. Like 2-3 months straight. then i will be convinced that Iggy has learned to hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

JI has shown some promise but he still has a long ways to go. If keeps this hope he will be the starter in August. However I feel like Drew is going to have a good year seeing how his range as returned.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, I agree mef. He still should be in AAA to see if he can sustain some offensive success. We can always sell off guys like Drew at the deadline.

Personally, like ive said all along, I think Iggy will be a good enough hitter in MLB to warrant a starting job. But he has to earnit, which he hasnt yet IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree with the "its early in Sprng training" logic, but even if they send Iggy to AAA and he hits .300 for 3 months, it will do him nothing in learning to deal with ML pitching....he is not getting better at hitting MLB pitching unless he faces MLB pitching. I think that is the case with most hitters, but Iggy has the advantage of being productive for a team even when he isnt hitting much. We signed Stephen Drew and he has had success, so I understand him starting the year at SS, but I would have a very short leash before I give Iggy a shot....his defense his too good not to do so.....he hits .240 and his WAR might be better than Drew....can he hit ,240?... I dont think we will ever know until we give him 150-200 ABs at eh MLB level.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I agree with the "its early in Sprng training" logic, but even if they send Iggy to AAA and he hits .300 for 3 months, it will do him nothing in learning to deal with ML pitching....he is not getting better at hitting MLB pitching unless he faces MLB pitching. I think that is the case with most hitters, but Iggy has the advantage of being productive for a team even when he isnt hitting much. We signed Stephen Drew and he has had success, so I understand him starting the year at SS, but I would have a very short leash before I give Iggy a shot....his defense his too good not to do so.....he hits .240 and his WAR might be better than Drew....can he hit ,240?... I dont think we will ever know until we give him 150-200 ABs at eh MLB level.

i disagree with the bolded part.. most hitters have to go through AAA with sustained sucess before they are given a shot in the bigs. Iggy has yet to do that so why should he be given an MLB job?? players learn to hit and play defense in the minors so they are not a detriment to the MLB team..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i disagree with the bolded part.. most hitters have to go through AAA with sustained sucess before they are given a shot in the bigs. Iggy has yet to do that so why should he be given an MLB job?? players learn to hit and play defense in the minors so they are not a detriment to the MLB team..

I agree that hitters learn certain aspects of hitting in the minors.....plate discipline especially, but none of it will tell you if some one can hit ML pitching.....plenty of guys have been great hitters at AAA and couldnt touch major league pitching. Clearly hitting at every level is a indicator that you will more likely to be successful at the major league level, but far from a sure thing. As I stated, Iggy going to the pawsox and hitting .300 because he is more familiar with the pitchers and the ballparks tells us nothing.....and since he gives you contributions with his defense that no one else on your roster can, why not give him the 150 ab's and see what we have now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree that hitters learn certain aspects of hitting in the minors.....plate discipline especially, but none of it will tell you if some one can hit ML pitching.....plenty of guys have been great hitters at AAA and couldnt touch major league pitching. Clearly hitting at every level is a indicator that you will more likely to be successful at the major league level, but far from a sure thing. As I stated, Iggy going to the pawsox and hitting .300 because he is more familiar with the pitchers and the ballparks tells us nothing.....and since he gives you contributions with his defense that no one else on your roster can, why not give him the 150 ab's and see what we have now.

That's what was done last year and he hit .118. One thing Jose really needs to improve offensively is his plate discipline, and that would almost definitely be helped by a return trip to Pawtucket. He's been consistently placed a level higher than his bat warranted due to his outstanding defense. It looks like he bulked up some over the winter and with more pop the pitchers will have to work him more carefully. I'm hoping that over the course of another year, or even partial year in AAA that his bat can start to catch up to his glove. If that happens then Drew is expendable, but not before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

That's what was done last year and he hit .118. One thing Jose really needs to improve offensively is his plate discipline, and that would almost definitely be helped by a return trip to Pawtucket. He's been consistently placed a level higher than his bat warranted due to his outstanding defense. It looks like he bulked up some over the winter and with more pop the pitchers will have to work him more carefully. I'm hoping that over the course of another year, or even partial year in AAA that his bat can start to catch up to his glove. If that happens then Drew is expendable, but not before.

well said Carnie

also to add a bit to what yuo said.. he hit .118 in the MLB riding a hot bat. He was in a groove in AAA for about a month before he was promoted and even during his hot streak was lousy when he got to MLB. he needs mroe time in AAA. there is no other way around it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Drew is a proven major league SS.  He can field and hit and has done it very consistanty until he was hurt.  I for one think he will have a very productive year for the Sox.  And Iggy needs to hit at least in the low .200s to make his D worth it, 118 isnt going to cut it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Whiner......thumb in mouth

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Give it a week. It's the opposite of cream rising. He'll be 7 for 30.

Also (as someone pointed out) these SP pitchers are trying to get their work in and are serving up fastballs. Alibiike it's another long long long season with you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Mark Belanger, Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel were all fabulous shortstops who couldn't hit. The latter two got better at the MLB level to become hall-of-fame shortstops. (I'm pretty sure Vizquel gets there one day.) Belanger never really learned to hit but all he did was backbone a defense that won a couple world series titles and was simply the best shortstop I ever saw play. I've been saying it for more than a year, and I'll say it again, let Iglesias play. He will hit eventually, but his defense will pay dividends immediately. What is this team's biggest weakness? Starting pitching, right? Want to fix your starting pitching, have them pitch in front of an outstanding defensive shortstop.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He has 6 hits in ST, and we can categorically state that he can hit MLB pitching?

I'll say the same thing I did a week ago, when we were supposed to drop Igesias.  Give him a full season of AAA ABs.  He is still plenty young.  118 ABs, while a heck of a lot more than 18 ABs, is insufficient.

18 ABs, and comparing him to Ozzie Smith, requires no comment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I've been a little tough on the kid visa vi his "lack of a bat." 

Nice to hear he's putting together some consistent hits in ST.  I hope it carries through to the regular season in Pawtucket.  Let's hope he tears it up down there, and we see him as our starting SS in 2014.  Furthermore, I hope we're in the hunt for the WC spot and the kid comes up & gives us a huge spark!!!

We really have some exciting prospects!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's entirely possible that if things go well this season, Iglesias will be nothing more than infield injury depth but don't we all expect him to emerge at some point? At least most of us. Maybe if the big club does badly they can trade guys like Drew for some youth. If the big club does well the kids get even more time to develop.

What seems likely to me is that at least some of Iglesias, Lavarnway, Webster, De Larosa, Bradley and Bogaerts emerge at some point to help the team. It's great to have that kind of almost mlb ready injury depth. At least one or 2 of these guys probably become this year's Will Middlebrooks. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Deciding to trade Drew with come when the time comes that Iggy can hit major league pitching. Time will tell. Until then we will just have to enjoy the team that we have been dealt.

I honestly can't see any team touching him for 9+ Million???

Having said that, I hope he can make it back to form ++++  & give the Sox an uexpected boost at SS!  So far, he's really having trouble shaking off the rust.....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Are GM's fans?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Most of RSN is focused on seeing Drew play instead of wondering about trading him. Fans are fans and not GMs.

Which makes one wonder why you would start alluding to Drew being traded during the year, as you just did in your last sentence!  

BLASPHEMER!

• selenium-
    • First: 2/15/2013
    • Last: 3/4/2013

Deciding to trade Drew with come when the time comes that Iggy can hit major league pitching. Time