Iglesias can't hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Iglesias can't hit

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Deciding to trade Drew with come when the time comes that Iggy can hit major league pitching. Time will tell. Until then we will just have to enjoy the team that we have been dealt.

You deserve to read your whole quote  :)  Don't want to take you out of context, as some do  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Most of RSN is focused on seeing Drew play instead of wondering about trading him. Fans are fans and not GMs.

p.s.  THANK YOU for this statement which by law precludes you from commenting on ANY THREAD DEALING WITH TRADES OR PLAYER ACQUSITIONS!

FINALLY!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

Drew is a proven major league SS.  He can field and hit and has done it very consistanty until he was hurt.  I for one think he will have a very productive year for the Sox.  And Iggy needs to hit at least in the low .200s to make his D worth it, 118 isnt going to cut it.  

Nice avatar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Except off Hellickson and Niemann.....Doubled off each.

6 for 18 including 3 doubles and a HR. But this is ST, nothing counts right? Even though Drew is just 2 for 13, he is a lock to start at SS.

Send Iggy down to AAA so he can learn to hit ML pitching!

0-10 since your post.  I still have confidence for 2014, but once again, the dangers of trying to predict things based on a few games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

6 for 18 including 3 doubles and a HR. But this is ST, nothing counts right? Even though Drew is just 2 for 13, he is a lock to start at SS.

He has 6 hits in ST, and we can categorically state that he can hit MLB pitching?

I'll say the same thing I did a week ago, when we were supposed to drop Igesias.  Give him a full season of AAA ABs.  He is still plenty young.  118 ABs, while a heck of a lot more than 18 ABs, is insufficient.

18 ABs, and comparing him to Ozzie Smith, requires no comment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

In response to bosoxhero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has 6 hits in ST, and we can categorically state that he can hit MLB pitching?

I'll say the same thing I did a week ago, when we were supposed to drop Igesias.  Give him a full season of AAA ABs.  He is still plenty young.  118 ABs, while a heck of a lot more than 18 ABs, is insufficient.

18 ABs, and comparing him to Ozzie Smith, requires no comment.HOW old is iggy?i was curious how many more years are left o nthis contract we signed him to.like linares i think unless they really think they have  a good playoff team i would go with the younger guys.if they make the playoffs and lose in the first round are the fans going to be happy?i say let the kids play and see if they can build around them.you can't hit major league pitching if you are not facing it on a regular basis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You're right, he does have 3 doubles and a HR!  Wow!  Of course, he's down to .214 now with 3 doubles and a HR.  Not yet at his expected ML level, probably another 30-60 points to drop.  

When will you learn about the folly of small sample sizes?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

For what it's worth, we are still looking at a very small sample size.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Anyne who thinks Iggy should break camp w/ RS is crazy. Was given a chance to hit MLB pitching end of last year and smashed it to a tune of .118. If you throw him out there to open season this year and fails miserably again chance of him losing his confdence for ever IMO? If Iggy had hit 250 or above end of last year he would have been OD starter, and RS never would have signed Drew, and don't think he doesn't understand that. Let him go to AAA, gain some confidence with the bat and when he proves he's ready to hit at mlb level, bring him up.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If anyone loves prospects like I do then I'm sure you are familiar with Soxprospects.com.  I was re listening to one of the podcasts between the guys who scout the prospects and I heard one of them make a great argument in defense of Iglesias.  If you don't have two hours to take in the whole podcast then fastforward to 1:06:20. That's when he makes his case for iggy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://soxprospects.com/podcast/2012-1230.mp3

Sorry forgot link.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Iggy wont hit at the major league level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We know he's not going to be the next Jeter.  The question is, if he is in fact one of the two or three best fielding SS's in baseball, what kind of offensive numbers are enough?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

And you base this off of what? what he did at ages 20 &21 when he's spent very little time in the minors developing before he reached the majors compared to other prospects?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If Iggy can finally show a little plate discipline I'm sure he will get the same opportunity Ciriaco did last season if someone gets hurt.  If Bogy doesn't have to play SS in the future even better.

I hope he continues to improve!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I personally WOULD LOVE for him to start hitting.....but he simply struggles...A LOT.  He's hitting only about .200 now in the Spring when pitchers are throwing mostly fastballs and ne working in a lot of secondary pitches.  I'm not saying that he cant get better....but ever since he came to the Sox his knock has ALWAYS been that he can't hit.  An infield of WMB at 1B (would love to see this move), Boggy 3rd, Iggy SS and Pedey 2nd would be great in a year or two....  But it's not really happening yet.  Maybe he could do decent at AAA and be trade fodder in the Summer....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I bet one day Iggy will be a decent hitter.  He has the bat speed, he's filled out a little and he is still only 22. 

The Sox rushed him, to give some perspective think of it like this.  Iglesias is only a few months older than Jackie Bradley Junior who has yet to take ONE!!! major league at bat.

Although I'm not confident anymore that it will be on the Red Sox.  I think he will get his shot with another team.  And when he is a decent bat and GG short stop everyone is going to be wondering why we gave the kid up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I bet one day Iggy will be a decent hitter.  He has the bat speed, he's filled out a little and he is still only 22. 

The Sox rushed him, to give some perspective think of it like this.  Iglesias is only a few months older than Jackie Bradley Junior who has yet to take ONE!!! major league at bat.

Although I'm not confident anymore that it will be on the Red Sox.  I think he will get his shot with another team.  And when he is a decent bat and GG short stop everyone is going to be wondering why we gave the kid up.

I certainly hope you're right.  My company has season tickets to the Sea Dogs up here in Maine and I go to a ton of games.  To watch his defense up close is really amazing.  Very slick glove and makes it look VERY effortless.  You leave saying to yourself...."gee...I can do that".....then the text day in my adult Softball league I over throw the first baseman by 20 feet and take a linedrive to the throat...... 

Anyway......He reminds me a lot of Lars Anderson at the plate.  It seems like he had so much pressure to perform in his at bats that he just got timid.  I almost wonder if he will flourish in a new scenery with not as much pressure....a KC, Pitt or something like that.  He's a hard worker with a great head on his shoulders...I would hate to see him fail.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

And you base this off of what? what he did at ages 20 &21 when he's spent very little time in the minors developing before he reached the majors compared to other prospects?

Eyesight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I certainly hope you're right.  My company has season tickets to the Sea Dogs up here in Maine and I go to a ton of games.  To watch his defense up close is really amazing.  Very slick glove and makes it look VERY effortless.  You leave saying to yourself...."gee...I can do that".....then the text day in my adult Softball league I over throw the first baseman by 20 feet and take a linedrive to the throat...... 

Anyway......He reminds me a lot of Lars Anderson at the plate.  It seems like he had so much pressure to perform in his at bats that he just got timid.  I almost wonder if he will flourish in a new scenery with not as much pressure....a KC, Pitt or something like that.  He's a hard worker with a great head on his shoulders...I would hate to see him fail.

I agree, but I still think it's been to soon to completely judge Iggy.  he has largely been age advanced at every level, so it's been unfair for him.  

I'll admitt that NOW it is put up or shut up for him, but it is only just that time. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I agree, but I still think it's been to soon to completely judge Iggy.  he has largely been age advanced at every level, so it's been unfair for him.  

I'll admitt that NOW it is put up or shut up for him, but it is only just that time. 

Yep... I can certainly agree with that.  With his defense he certainly has earned a shot...plus he has been injured in parts of the last 2 seasons so it would be nice to see what he can do with a full season under his belt. It was also good to see him gain some muscle.  You can tell his head's focused on getting better....not a bad thing to have around!  It's kind of funny that if he bats .250-or .260 we would all be PSYCHED!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Iggy might be the kinda guy too that there is very little he can learn down in Pawtucket.  You may have to just plug him in there and let him see some MLB pitching and take what you can get.  After a year, with his bat speed he really could develop into a .280 hitter (he has the tools) it's not like the talent isn't there.  Guys are rated high as prospects for a reason, because they have physical skills and talents that others just will never have.

If there was EVER a season where the fans could somewhat endure a black hole in the 9th spot...now would be the season.  It doesn't look like Iggy will get that opportunity with the Sox since they went out and signed Drew.  So Iggy will have to take a leap forward, but maybe he gets lucky with an injury and comes in and hits at a better level.

We will just have to wait and see. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

0-10 since your post.  I still have confidence for 2014, but once again, the dangers of trying to predict things based on a few games.

Just because he's not hitting the ball safely lately, doesn't mean he can't hit. He's stuck out 4 times in 30 PAs, pretty darn good I would say. Probably better at putting the ball in play, than a lot of the regulars.

You guys just don't want to admit that the kid can play at the MLB level. That would mean you would have to admit you were wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Just because he's not hitting the ball safely lately, doesn't mean he can't hit. He's stuck out 4 times in 30 PAs, pretty darn good I would say. Probably better at putting the ball in play, than a lot of the regulars.

You guys just don't want to admit that the kid can play at the MLB level. That would mean you would have to admit you were wrong.

So far he has not PROVEN he can play at the ML level. I do not want a SS who is hitting just above the Mendoza line on my team, no matter how good he is defensively. He has one more year in AAA ball to prove himself. After that I think we can officially declare him a bust in the same category as Lars Anderson. I hope I am wrong and he surprises me, but I doubt it.