Iglesias/Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Iglesias/Drew

who do u think should be the starting SS?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Iglesias/Drew

Drew.

I Love that Iggy had a good game today and I hope he can sustain that. He hasnt proved he can yet, so for now I would stick with the more experienced guy. In his 2 games hes had one bad and one good. They arent going to use Drew off the bench no matter what some here may think, so unless he gets injured or traded he will be the starting SS. Its a reality some here cant seem to accept.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

drew....

so pedro ciriaco should be our 3b when middlebrooks comes back also?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have no complaints with either one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Drew has a bad back and is slumping. What I'd like to see is Drew suggest Iglesias play short while Drew fills in at third until Middlebrooks returns. I think Drew would have to suggest this himself since the team isn't going to do it. It would be a classy move on his part, and there would be some additional logic in it since his mobility must be somewhat restricted by the sore back. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Drew starts hitting like he did during that three- or four-week stretch, I'd rather have him because he's more dangerous as a hitter. Defensively, Drew has been very good, making all the routine plays and making some great plays. Iggy is better defensively, but it's not by such a wide margin to make up for the kind of hitter Iggy has been in the minors.

Iggy's batting average looks great, but I have a hard time believing that a guy who was batting .202 in Pawtucket is going to keep up a high average. That's why I would have rathered see him stay in AAA consistently for the first half of the season instead of going up and down.

Now, if in the next two weeks, Drew continues to slump and Iggy stays consistent as the average comes down, then I might be inclined to give him another shot when Middlebrooks comes back. But if I were to put money on it, I'd say over the next two weeks, Drew will hit significantly better than Iggy, and I'm including these two games he's already played.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Drew has a bad back and is slumping. What I'd like to see is Drew suggest Iglesias play short while Drew fills in at third until Middlebrooks returns. I think Drew would have to suggest this himself since the team isn't going to do it. It would be a classy move on his part, and there would be some additional logic in it since his mobility must be somewhat restricted by the sore back. 

What difference does it make? If Iggy is better at 3B than Drew, why should the Sox switch them. Drew has been perfectly fine at SS this year defensively. As we saw in the seventh inning today when a ball got hit between 3B and SS, Iggy isn't going to get to every ball in the hole.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Drew has been fine. I don't think there is any debate Iglesias has better range. This is compounded by Drew having a bad back. 

I've not been critical of Drew. It's only the window while Middlebrooks is out and Drew has a bad back, which I'm talking about. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

iglesias, drew has been slumping big time and is now dealing with injuries, iglesias is better defensively, and has the potential to hit just as well as drew with less power, iggy is younger as well and injects some excitement into the line up. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

is this a trick question?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Jackie Bradley is about to be re-called.

Love it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jackie Bradley is about to be re-called.

For SS or Third?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I've always been very pro-Drew, but I also have thought Iglesias was eventually the answer, with only the date to be filled in.  That's why the Sox only signed Drew for one year and are paying him less, in fact, than they have paid Iglesias (over several years, but still a lot of money--$10M). 

We are about 1/3 through this season and have a lot more data on Drew, who has been I think terrific in the field and so-so at the plate.  Iglesias seems to have a chip on his shoulder, but it might be a good chip because somehow he seems much better in Boston than Pawtucket.  Imagine our amazement yesterday when he was getting solid hits, including that brilliant bunt, when other righty bats (not Pedroia's) were struggling. 

With Middlebrooks not only on the bench but mired in a slump, Iglesias has another big opportunity.  I do not see Drew becoming a backup, but do think the Sox will consider trading him (someone said this can't happen before June or July).  Meanwhile, it is clear Iglesias is in Boston to play every day. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like Drew, but it may be time for him to begin to get some grounders at other positions if he plans to play beyond this year.  His range at short will only be acceptable if he plays there a game a week for whomever he plays for next year.

He is smooth enough to play second, third and first down the road and this will add several years (alhough probably not salary) to his career.

For some reason the Sox bid against themselves when signing this guy last winter (and he is terribly over paid this year), but whether they want to play him because they are paying him or trade him during the year it is time to let Iglesius play full time now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The outfield, pay attention

Relax,it was humor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IGGY.........  Certainly an "EYE OPENER" !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I like Drew, but it may be time for him to begin to get some grounders at other positions if he plans to play beyond this year.  His range at short will only be acceptable if he plays there a game a week for whomever he plays for next year.

He is smooth enough to play second, third and first down the road and this will add several years (alhough probably not salary) to his career.

For some reason the Sox bid against themselves when signing this guy last winter (and he is terribly over paid this year), but whether they want to play him because they are paying him or trade him during the year it is time to let Iglesius play full time now.

I think you have it wrong.  If Drew wants to stay a MLB starter, he needs to start hitting.  His fielding at SS so far is the best the Sox have seen in years.  Iglesias is more brilliant, greater range, etc, but also far more likely to bobble easy plays.  Personally, I don't see how MLB fielders at any position can maintain focus during these four hour games (two of which, on average, will be in the field) when a Sox pitcher is not throwing quickly and not throwing strikes.  But Drew does it, and so do Pedroia and Napoli, whose only problem at 1B so far has been grabbing pop flies.  Maybe focus and consistency come with age because I note Middlebrooks also has a slew of errors.  Ciriaco is a special case--an error waiting to happen.  All the excuses about changing positions are just horsehockey. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Lucky to have them both. Let iggy ease his way into the majors just like they are doing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I hope Xander Bogaerts gets a chance to play some 3rd in the minors just in case the Sox need someone to come up in the future.

He played some in the WBC and he performed well.He'll probably be blocked at SS because of Iglesias and being able to play multiple positions makes him more valuable for the Sox.If he's efficent at both positions,maybe he could be brought up for use as a utility player at some point.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Despite the lack of offense I don't think Iggy could have played much better at SS than Drew has so far this season.  I also still think Drew is a better hitter but not showing it and can't wait to see what Iggy can do as our full time SS.  It will make any future decision with Bogy that much easier as to what position he might play.