Iglesias for Peavy trade--a different slant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Iglesias for Peavy trade--a different slant

So let's clear up something right away.  Right now the Sox have the 7th best team ERA in the AL:  3.78.  Pretty bad, awful maybe.   Shows how badly Buchholz has been missed, how weak the bullpen is, how mediocre the rotation is, how badly Peavy is needed. 

But guess what?  The two best records in the AL belong to the Rays and the Sox.  The Rays, who historically have relied heavily on their pitching but right now see absolutely no need to improve their pitching, carry a team ERA of 3.76. 

Everyone got that?  Woebegone Sox pitching at 3.78; great Rays pitching 3.76.  Oh, and don't forget that the Sox play half their games at Fenway, a pitcher's nightmare. 

To me that's not enough of a difference to justify sending Iglesias away to get a pitcher whose ERA to date this year is worse that the Sox team ERA--by half a run!  Peavy's is 4.28, and the Sox are at 3.78.  So best case Peavy is insurance, always a good thing to have for your rotation.

But maybe the real purpose behind this trade was to get rid of Iglesias and Peavy was only a byproduct.  An exaggeration?  Absolutely. 

But I say it to get your attention and to point out that the primary reason why the Sox were willing to let Iglesias go had to be because of his hitting.  He was terrific May-June, but now seems to be coming back to earth, and the Sox see an opportunity to let a weak hitter go because in the pennant drive they are going to need as many good bats as they can muster. 

I would offer that both Snyder and Holt are probably better hitters than Iglesias, especially when one can start against lefties and the other against righties.  More importantly, two potentially good bats, both of whom play on the left side of the infield, are lurking at Pawtucket--Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.   

As I have written elsewhere, the Sox historically (John Henry era) have worried much more about a good hitting lineup than a good fielding lineup.  For big chunks of this season, the Sox led MLB in runs scored, but the Tigers now have that lead.  The Sox need good hitting and will sacrifice brilliant fielding to get there.  Pedroia and Ellsbury have both won gold gloves, granted, but their primary value is they lead this team in runs and hits and are at or near the top in other hitting categories. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Iglesias for Peavy trade--a different slant

We may be 7th at 3.78, but the leader now is Oakland at 3.60, a modest .18 ahead of us.

If you use park-adjusted ERA+ we're now 3rd at +113.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

So let's clear up something right away.  Right now the Sox have the 7th best team ERA in the AL:  3.78.  Pretty bad, awful maybe.   Shows how badly Buchholz has been missed, how weak the bullpen is, how mediocre the rotation is, how badly Peavy is needed. 

But guess what?  The two best records in the AL belong to the Rays and the Sox.  The Rays, who historically have relied heavily on their pitching but right now see absolutely no need to improve their pitching, carry a team ERA of 3.76. 

Everyone got that?  Woebegone Sox pitching at 3.78; great Rays pitching 3.76.  Oh, and don't forget that the Sox play half their games at Fenway, a pitcher's nightmare. 

To me that's not enough of a difference to justify sending Iglesias away to get a pitcher whose ERA to date this year is worse that the Sox team ERA--by half a run!  Peavy's is 4.28, and the Sox are at 3.78.  So best case Peavy is insurance, always a good thing to have for your rotation.

But maybe the real purpose behind this trade was to get rid of Iglesias and Peavy was only a byproduct.  An exaggeration?  Absolutely. 

But I say it to get your attention and to point out that the primary reason why the Sox were willing to let Iglesias go had to be because of his hitting.  He was terrific May-June, but now seems to be coming back to earth, and the Sox see an opportunity to let a weak hitter go because in the pennant drive they are going to need as many good bats as they can muster. 

I would offer that both Snyder and Holt are probably better hitters than Iglesias, especially when one can start against lefties and the other against righties.  More importantly, two potentially good bats, both of whom play on the left side of the infield, are lurking at Pawtucket--Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.   

As I have written elsewhere, the Sox historically (John Henry era) have worried much more about a good hitting lineup than a good fielding lineup.  For big chunks of this season, the Sox led MLB in runs scored, but the Tigers now have that lead.  The Sox need good hitting and will sacrifice brilliant fielding to get there.  Pedroia and Ellsbury have both won gold gloves, granted, but their primary value is they lead this team in runs and hits and are at or near the top in other hitting categories. 

Agree ..... good post ......  "Timing is everything " !!   Howevaa, I was looking forward to watching IGGY for the next 17 years..........  "TIME", from afar will tell !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

We may be 7th at 3.78, but the leader now is Oakland at 3.60, a modest .18 ahead of us.

Very good point Hfxsoxnut   Laughing

Also, Oakland has played against Houston 13 times so far while the Red Sox are in the most competitive division in all of baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agree.  All the more reason to question bringing in Peavy and his high salary and high ERA. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Agree.  All the more reason to question bringing in Peavy and his high salary and high ERA. 

Peavy had legit #2 numbers last year. We have Buch hurt, Lackey who didnt pitch all of last year and Doubie who hasnt thrown more than 161IP in a season. Getting a starter with peavys potential as insurance for a playoff run is smart GMing. The playoffs are all about pitching. LOur offense can cergtainly win games, but in the playoffs, its usually the best and deepest pitching staffs that win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Who would you rather have start the third game of a playoff series? Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront or Ryan Dempster?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Peavy had legit #2 numbers last year. We have Buch hurt, Lackey who didnt pitch all of last year and Doubie who hasnt thrown more than 161IP in a season. Getting a starter with peavys potential as insurance for a playoff run is smart GMing.

Southpaw - Thanks. I put it another way. Who would you rather have start the third game of a playoff series? Peavy, Doubront or Dempster?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Peavy had legit #2 numbers last year. We have Buch hurt, Lackey who didnt pitch all of last year and Doubie who hasnt thrown more than 161IP in a season. Getting a starter with peavys potential as insurance for a playoff run is smart GMing.

Southpaw - Thanks. I put it another way. Who would you rather have start the third game of a playoff series? Peavy, Doubront or Dempster?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I feel more comfortable with a possible PO rotation of Buchholz, Lester, Peavy, Lackey...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Who would you rather have start the third game of a playoff series? Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront or Ryan Dempster?

Doubront over Peavy, Peavy over Dempster.  Doubront's ERA is half a run per game better.  He has control issues, but I'm guessing he has much better stuff.  The only issue with Doubront is whether he runs out of gas before October. 

Right now I see the playoffs rotation as Buchholz, Lester, and two of Lackey, Doubront, and Peavy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The addition of Peavy not only gives us added depth at SP but also fills, at least partially (I would have liked to see more done) our major glaring weakness, which is the bullpen. Now Workman, who has been effective, can go to help out the bullpen. Both Tazawa and Uehara were being used too much and Taz in particular has been showing signs of being overworked. Thats the reason it was a decent trade: it addresses our major weakness by trading away a guy who plays at a position where there is organizational depth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Peavy had legit #2 numbers last year. We have Buch hurt, Lackey who didnt pitch all of last year and Doubie who hasnt thrown more than 161IP in a season. Getting a starter with peavys potential as insurance for a playoff run is smart GMing. The playoffs are all about pitching. LOur offense can cergtainly win games, but in the playoffs, its usually the best and deepest pitching staffs that win.

I entirely agree Peavy is insurance and that Lackey and Doubront could both run out of gas.  But the simple fact remains:  Peavy's ERA this year is a half run, 4.28 vs. 3.78, higher than the Sox team ERA.  Yes, last year was pretty good--32 starts, ERA 3.37, WHIP 1.10, but we are now in 2013. 

I continue to think there is no way this trade is made if the Sox assessment of Iglesias were not "good field, no hit." 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

The addition of Peavy not only gives us added depth at SP but also fills, at least partially (I would have liked to see more done) our major glaring weakness, which is the bullpen. Now Workman, who has been effective, can go to help out the bullpen. Both Tazawa and Uehara were being used too much and Taz in particular has been showing signs of being overworked. Thats the reason it was a decent trade: it addresses our major weakness by trading away a guy who plays at a position where there is organizational depth.

[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, but right now to me Peavy is suspect as a starter with an ERA a half run higher than the team ERA.  I do like the idea of moving Workman to the bullpen, but this is a pricey way to go about it.  Unless the Sox were more than willing to let Iglesias go because they think he can't hit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I agree completely, but right now to me Peavy is suspect as a starter with an ERA a half run higher than the team ERA.  I do like the idea of moving Workman to the bullpen, but this is a pricey way to go about it.  Unless the Sox were more than willing to let Iglesias go because they think he can't hit. 

As I mentioned on your other similar thread, Peavy's ERA+ is almost identical to that of Lester and Dempster. ERA+ is a better way to compare pitchers and when you do that you see more clearly what we are getting. I also think that Iggy is probably a .200-.230 hitter when all is said and done, and with no power. No way to prove it, of course, but as I have said, his WAR is just 1.8, the level of a reserve player, and his Babip is .376, and thats not sustainable. There were signs that he has plummeted back to earth in terms of his offense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I entirely agree Peavy is insurance and that Lackey and Doubront could both run out of gas.  But the simple fact remains:  Peavy's ERA this year is a half run, 4.28 vs. 3.78, higher than the Sox team ERA.  Yes, last year was pretty good--32 starts, ERA 3.37, WHIP 1.10, but we are now in 2013. 

I continue to think there is no way this trade is made if the Sox assessment of Iglesias were not "good field, no hit." 

May 30th he had a 3.62ERA (was actually 2.97 the game before, then he started dealing with the injury). So, he was dealing with the injury and had a bad game which he was removed from 6/4 after 2IP. Those 2 games made his ERA go way up. Hes pitched 2 games since coming off hte DL and has looked good. not great, but thats to be expected coming off the DL after a month and a half. Gotta put everything in context.

I see him as a mid 3 ERA guy which is very good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This is not a different slant it is more of the same. We get it you do not like the trade.

However here is what happens:

SP Lester, Doubrant, Lackey, Dempster and Peavey. All guys with a good history of pitching. When CB comes back it will create an issue but a good one since no matter who goes to the BP it (the BP) is that much stronger.

Workman is in BP and this allows more flexibility for Farrell in long relief and the 8th inning.

Iggy yes is a great glove but as we all have seen despite the beginning of the year he is a 200 to 220 guy at best. He may get better but he has yet to do so to date at any level. He was 5 for 43 at the trade. Funny fact no one here threw him under the bus like so many others who have done the same thing or even less.

Iggy's bat can be hidden in Detroit with their offensive team. Yes the RS have almost as good offense but it based upon being consistent across the board. Detroit is an explosive team with a bunch of powerful hitters.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

This is not a different slant it is more of the same. We get it you do not like the trade.

SP Lester, Doubrant, Lackey, Dempster and Peavey. All guys with a good history of pitching. When CB comes back it will create an issue but a good one since no matter who goes to the BP it (the BP) is that much stronger.

Workman is in BP and this allows more flexibility for Farrell in long relief and the 8th inning.

Iggy yes is a great glove but as we all have seen despite the beginning of the year he is a 200 to 220 guy at best. He may get better but he has yet to do so to date at any level. He was 5 for 43 at the trade. Funny fact no one here threw him under the bus like so many others who have done the same thing or even less.

Iggy's bat can be hidden in Detroit with their offensive team. Yes the RS have almost as good offense but it based upon being consistent across the board. Detroit is an explosive team with a bunch of powerful hitters.

Did you actually read the OP?  I am definitely guilty of griping about the trade on other threads, but in the OP of this thread my argument is different and a lot closer to your final paragraph than you seem to think. 

I'm saying getting rid of Iglesias was a key part of the trade precisely because the Sox have decided he can't hit and because the Sox value hitting over defense.  I even said Snyder/Holt hit better than Iglesias and Bogaerts only makes that case stronger. 

As for Peavy, you seem to have ignored my point that the Sox pitching right now--without Peavy and, for almost two months, without Buchholz--is pretty good.  The team ERA is 3.78 as compared to Tampa's 3.76.   When you throw in half the games being at Fenway, you can make a fair argument Sox pitching is better than Rays pitching, at least so far.  And I cite the Rays because they and the Sox are neck and neck for the best record in the AL.  Both teams have good pitching and good hitting. 

So, yes, Peavy probably helps the club because he is potentially a good starter plus he frees Workman to become a reliever plus he absolutely gives Farrell and Cherington some insurance against Buchholz not returning or somebody else going on the DL or turning sour.    I grant all that.  I'm just saying the Sox pitching without Peavy ain't exactly broken, not the way the Orioles pitching (12th best ERA in the AL) is.  I'm saying that getting rid of Iglesias seemed a little too easy and might allow a different explanation--they were more than happy to trade him because his weak hitting didn't fit into their plans, not in the 2013 pennant race and not in 2014.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Iggy's MLB career BA is .280.

His career minor league BA is .257.

Why the ".200 to .220 guy at best" feeling?

Based on just his last 45 or 66 PAs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Why is his overall WAR just 1.8? Do you think his BABIP of .376 is sustainable? Just curious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Max why would you go to the effort and time to do this research, and write this long OP to complain about a trade that has already taken place, and will not be changed? Peavey is here, and I hope we all want him to do well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

How many threads ars you going to start before you realize the sheer fallacy of comparing a starters ERA to a team SRA composed of starters and relievers?

The real question is - is Peavy an upgrade over who he is replacing?  And is he eniugh of one to justify the cost?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

Yes  i like the question put that  way  Jake Peavy  all the way 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

[QUOTE]

Doubront over Peavy, Peavy over Dempster.  Doubront's ERA is half a run per game better.  He has control issues, but I'm guessing he has much better stuff.  The only issue with Doubront is whether he runs out of gas before October. 

Right now I see the playoffs rotation as Buchholz, Lester, and two of Lackey, Doubront, and Peavy. 

[/QUOTE]
    Jake Peavy Over the 2 DDs  everytime

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

why would,nt you like this trade  we got rid of weak hitting Jose Iglesias  for  a vet  starting  pitcher  who will fit in as  are number 3 in the playoffs sorry i don,t trust the  2 DDs  in the playoffs

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Why is his overall WAR just 1.8? Do you think his BABIP of .376 is sustainable? Just curious.

No, .376 is not sustainable, but his career BAbip is .323. His career MLB BA is .280.

My point is, I do not think .200 to .22o is "sustainable" either.

Iggy will probably be about a .250 hitter for a couple years and probably improve by the last 2-3 years of his team control.

The "at best" part of the statement I was responding to. The kid is 23 and has just over 300 PAs in MLB. I thought the statement was harsh, but realize it could end up being true.

Besides, if his WAR is 1.8 in just over 300 or so PAs is pretty decent. Over 650 PAs, that would amount to 3.6. That would have placed him 7th last year amoung SSs in MLB.