Iglesias Gets the call???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iglesias Gets the call???

Marco Scutaro was pinch hit for in the eighth inning today and is dealing with an injury to his left rib cage. According to a report by Sports Illustrated's Melissa Segura on Twitter, the Red Sox are considering calling up 21-year-old Jose Iglesias tomorrow.

A Major League source has since told the Globe that Iglesias was "likely" to be added to the roster tomorrow.

Iglesias was 3 for 4 for Class AAA Pawtucket this afternoon in Scranton, Pa., and is en route to Boston in case Scutaro is placed on the disabled list. WEEI.com reported that Scutaro isn't sure what the injury is.

Iglesias is hitting .253 with a .278 on-base percentage and no extra-base hits in 24 games for the PawSox. But he is advanced defensively.

Yamaico Navarro, who made his MLB debut last season, would have been an ideal replacement for Scutaro given his experience, versatility and the fact he was swinging the bat well for Pawtucket. But he was placed on the Pawtucket DL yesterday with a strained oblique.

I myself cant wait to see this kids glove fulltime at SS for the Sox. hes got all the defensive tools, but needs to work on his bat, which is slowly improving. If Iglesias can save a few runs with his glove, that should balance out his lack of offense until he can improve it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Iglesias Gets the call???

In Response to Iglesias Gets the call???:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Marco Scutaro was pinch hit for in the eighth inning today and is dealing with an injury to his left rib cage. According to a report by Sports Illustrated's Melissa Segura on Twitter, the Red Sox are considering calling up 21-year-old Jose Iglesias tomorrow. A Major League source has since told the Globe that Iglesias was "likely" to be added to the roster tomorrow. Iglesias was 3 for 4 for Class AAA Pawtucket this afternoon in Scranton, Pa., and is en route to Boston in case Scutaro is placed on the disabled list. WEEI.com reported that Scutaro isn't sure what the injury is. Iglesias is hitting .253 with a .278 on-base percentage and no extra-base hits in 24 games for the PawSox. But he is advanced defensively. Yamaico Navarro, who made his MLB debut last season, would have been an ideal replacement for Scutaro given his experience, versatility and the fact he was swinging the bat well for Pawtucket. But he was placed on the Pawtucket DL yesterday with a strained oblique. I myself cant wait to see this kids glove fulltime at SS for the Sox. hes got all the defensive tools, but needs to work on his bat, which is slowly improving. If Iglesias can save a few runs with his glove, that should balance out his lack of offense until he can improve it.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]   YES, CHANGE IS COMING......  ALL GOOD....AS DAD WOULD SAY...... "SON, THIS GUY IGLESIAS, IS AN ALL WORLD SS, HE WILL HELP RIGHT AWAY" !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah Bill, Looks like Scoot hurt his left side making that spectacular stop yesterday. Im all about seeing the Sox prospects working their way through the system and ultimately, making the team. The Sox have some solid prospects on the farm that are having breakout years and a lot of them should make names for themselves this year. The future looks good Bill, and I believe by years end the Sox farm system will be ranked one of the best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Iglesias Gets the call???:
    [QUOTE]Yeah Bill, Looks like Scoot hurt his left side making that spectacular stop yesterday. Im all about seeing the Sox prospects working their way through the system and ultimately, making the team. The Sox have some solid prospects on the farm that are having breakout years and a lot of them should make names for themselves this year. The future looks good Bill, and I believe by years end the Sox farm system will be ranked one of the best.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST.....  AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, HOW YA GOING TO KEEPEM DOWN ON THE FARM"  !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iglesias Gets the call??? :   GOOD POST.....  AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, HOW YA GOING TO KEEPEM DOWN ON THE FARM"  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Tell dad the answer is....Your not..And thats a good thing..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

At least no one has lofty expectations about Iglesias turning the season around...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I was hoping they'd try Rondo, He could play SS one handed, and he's a natural dirt dog too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Sorry but I have a totally contrary position toward this...and I will repeat what I posted in another topic here today:

It would be a travesty and a mistake to bench Lowrie now to let "the kid" play...

...On the other hand, the FO shouldn't be promoting him unless they were planning to play him, since it also makes no sense to have "the kid" sitting on the bench in the majors when he should be playing everyday in the minors.

What is it with the Red Sox and the SS position...they haven't been able to get it right since trading Nomah in 2004.

THE JOB IS LOWRIE'S - LET IT BE FOR NOW!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry but I have a totally contrary position toward this...and I will repeat what I posted in another topic here today: It would be a travesty and a mistake to bench Lowrie now to let "the kid" play... ...On the other hand, the FO shouldn't be promoting him unless they were planning to play him, since it also makes no sense to have "the kid" sitting on the bench in the majors when he should be playing everyday in the minors. What is it with the Red Sox and the SS position...they haven't been able to get it right since trading Nomah in 2004. THE JOB IS LOWRIE'S - LET IT BE FOR NOW!
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I'd agree that Lowrie should be the starter, but you need to realize that lowrie is also slumping.  His OPS over the past 17 games is .670.  .250 and 1 HR in 68 PAs with a 16/3 K/W.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry but I have a totally contrary position toward this...and I will repeat what I posted in another topic here today: It would be a travesty and a mistake to bench Lowrie now to let "the kid" play... ...On the other hand, the FO shouldn't be promoting him unless they were planning to play him, since it also makes no sense to have "the kid" sitting on the bench in the majors when he should be playing everyday in the minors. What is it with the Red Sox and the SS position...they haven't been able to get it right since trading Nomah in 2004. THE JOB IS LOWRIE'S - LET IT BE FOR NOW!

I agree Soxdog67,

Another concern.......  Obviously the kid has a superior glove & arm!!!!!! but,
    his bat does not exactly make me want to jump out of my seat & cheer????

Somebody, please tell me I'm wrong!!!!

At least he's a right-handed hitter!!!!  :)

OK.........  Done being the potential kill joy!

MAYBE???   This kid is just the spark the Red Sox desperately need!!! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]At least no one has lofty expectations about Iglesias turning the season around...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Nope..No lofty expectations at all. It would be nice to see him play. I know Jed is hitting consistantly so far this year, and Im not sure it would be a good idea to sit him. But would it really hurt that much to give the kid a start for a game?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE] I was hoping they'd try Rondo, He could play SS one handed, and he's a natural dirt dog too.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]
    He wouldn't even need a glove. Field the grounder with his right bare hand and rifle a throw to first to beat the runner by two steps!

Then he's lead off the next inning with a one-handed single to center.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lowrie is still clearly the SS but if Lowrie subs in for Youk or Pedroia it makes sense to slot Iglesias at SS. My guess is that they will try to find opportunities to play Iglesias at SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thats my guess too Boom. He NEEDS his AB's, so sitting him while hes here will not help his developement. I realize he may not play every game, but he should play a lot if hes going to be here IMO. Pedey is 4-25 this month and batting .236. I think its a possibility that he could sit a game too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Go Igle!  Go Igle!  Go Igle!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was wondering when you would post burrito. Ive read in some of your post your admiration for the young cuban talent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Thats my guess too Boom. He NEEDS his AB's, so sitting him while hes here will not help his developement. I realize he may not play every game, but he should play a lot if hes going to be here IMO. Pedey is 4-25 this month and batting .236. I think its a possibility that he could sit a game too.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea, if we could give Yuke & Pedey a rest to clear their heads!!!!

DEFINITELY DON'T want to sit Lowrie!!!!!!!!!!!! 

YOU CAN'T cool off Lowrie's bat!!!!  That would be just flat insane!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's interesting that his dad broke into tears upon hearing of the call up. He was a great baseball player and mentor for the kid in Cuba. Never had a chance to play in mlb. This means everything to him. How does a kid respond when the dad is on another planet in joy expecting his kid to be a mlb player. We saw with Reddick's situation that maybe such kids are more anxious than normal. Hopefully Iglesias can keep things together.

I'm anxious. Can you imagine the anticipation in his dad? Played for $10-$20 a month for many years in Cuba! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

IGLE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Sometimes things happen for a reason we can't explain it at the time. If it's not causality maybe it's an opportunity of random chance which is maximized by the motivated achievers of our world. Either way it bodes well IMO for the Sox this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

It was mentioned on the radio today that Francona Lowrie is still the SS and Iglesias would be used for late inning defense and pinch running duties...

...now that raises the question, is the farm system so barren, with Navarro hurt, that it can not find someone else to replace Scutaro on the roster and let Iglesias continue playing and maturing everyday down on the farm??

...the kid might be the best thing since sliced bread...but his loaf has not been cooked enough...let him play (in Pawtucket), just let the boy play!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Yes the farm is barren in the ss position.

Give him a taste of the big club as a utility late inning guy.  Or 'mop up' ss for a while.

I just hope nobody gets down on the kid when he doesn't produce at the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Iglesias Gets the call??? : Not a bad idea, if we could give Yuke & Pedey a rest to clear their heads!!!! DEFINITELY DON'T want to sit Lowrie!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU CAN'T cool off Lowrie's bat!!!!  That would be just flat insane!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I shouldve made myself more clear..Pedey was in addition to Youk or Lowrie..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]It was mentioned on the radio today that Francona Lowrie is still the SS and Iglesias would be used for late inning defense and pinch running duties... ...now that raises the question, is the farm system so barren, with Navarro hurt, that it can not find someone else to replace Scutaro on the roster and let Iglesias continue playing and maturing everyday down on the farm?? ...the kid might be the best thing since sliced bread...but his loaf has not been cooked enough...let him play (in Pawtucket), just let the boy play!

I believe Nate spears proved he could be a good canidate for fill-in IMO..More of a 2b though.