Iglesias Has Been Pasting the Ball

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Iglesias Has Been Pasting the Ball

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Not to throw a damper on this thread, but BR tells us that the average quality of pitching Iggy has faced is just about AAA level. Still, its an improvement over what he has previously done vs AAA pitching. He has had about 20% of a reasonable number of ABs to make any kind of assessment of how much he has improved. Once he gets another 200 or so ABs at Pawtucket we will be able to make some conclusions.

whats the level of pitching S Drew has faced this season? great ten million dollar investment eh? we have an awesome fielding ss who needs to get as much bat time as he can at the ML level and they sign this salami?

ben is an idiot...no other explanation for this....ps in order for SD to be insurance, he has to have a history of PLAYING, not on the dl

That's exactly the way it will play out unless Ciraico gets injured. He's number two Iggy is the third opition as we speak.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

He should be our shortstop. Period.  The Drew signing was a mistake. 

I agree.

Oh look I disagreed with Cherington And we all know I never do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

I find I almost always agree with your short but to the point statements! I give this one 200% agreement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't understand why the Drew signing was such a mistake.  

Pedro C., though still shining from the glow of being a Yankee Killer and excitement- generator last year, showed over the long haul that he is not really a full-time player.  Great utility spark plug.  Not an every day player.

Iglesias, prior to this Spring showed almost no signs that he could hang at the plate.  Now the club has shown patience and long-term confidence that he one day will (looking like sooner than later after this spring).  But, they needed some insurance and a fill-in-the-gap until he was finally ready offensively.  In fact a one year deal for Drew showed precisely that they see Iglesias (er, well, uh maybe Boegarts) as the future.

So they signed Drew.  Pricey?  Yeah, 10 mil is a lot, no doubt.  Value for that money?  Probably not.  They took a very expensive gamble that Drew would return to preinjury form.

But, does it really matter?  The Sox arent going over the tax threshold.  They have a certain amount allotted for payroll.  They already determined that they weren't going to spend that money to get a big name.  And the deal is ONE YEAR.  Imminently moveable as expiring contract if Iglesias proves ready to be the man.  And off the books when in 2014, which, really, by that time it is make or break for Iglesias.

If Drew sits all year because Iglesias proves capable right from the start:  ok, no one is really any worse off.  Sure, Sox then have the most expensive utility guy in baseball.  But that is hardly a matter of any significance.

I just don't see what is so egregious about the Drew signing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Pedro C., though still shining from the glow of being a Yankee Killer and excitement- generator last year, showed over the long haul that he is not really a full-time player.  Great utility spark plug.  Not an every day player.

Iglesias, prior to this Spring showed almost no signs that he could hang at the plate.  Now the club has shown patience and long-term confidence that he one day will (looking like sooner than later after this spring).  But, they needed some insurance and a fill-in-the-gap until he was finally ready offensively.  In fact a one year deal for Drew showed precisely that they see Iglesias (er, well, uh maybe Boegarts) as the future.

So they signed Drew.  Pricey?  Yeah, 10 mil is a lot, no doubt.  Value for that money?  Probably not.  They took a very expensive gamble that Drew would return to preinjury form.

But, does it really matter?  The Sox arent going over the tax threshold.  They have a certain amount allotted for payroll.  They already determined that they weren't going to spend that money to get a big name.  And the deal is ONE YEAR.  Imminently moveable as expiring contract if Iglesias proves ready to be the man.  And off the books when in 2014, which, really, by that time it is make or break for Iglesias.

If Drew sits all year because Iglesias proves capable right from the start:  ok, no one is really any worse off.  Sure, Sox then have the most expensive utility guy in baseball.  But that is hardly a matter of any significance.

Tongue in check, his brother.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

A good solid post based on logic and rational thinking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Two BB and 9 k in 50 or so ab seems to indicate he need time at AAA   .Drew wiil be the starting SS all season.

Well....Drew may be on the D.L. to start the season so he can't be there "all season" 

Seeing how Drew is a horrible defensive SS the bar is pretty low for Iggy at a defense first position.  So if Drew is hitting .250 with .700 OPS next year then we mine as well plug Iggy in there.  At least he can get better offensively as the season goes on, in contrast to Drew who will be 30....I doubt there is any room for growth there, more likely regression. 

Hard to say what Drew will do at the plate. He might hit .280 with 15 hrs or 250 with 8. He had a .352 OBP in 2010   Iggy will not come close to those numbers.. Hope I'm wrong . Drew is  an average fielding SS not as horrible as some think if he's healthy

According to fangraphs, Drew has the 3rd worst RngR factor since 2006.

He's rated 20th out of 30 since 2010 in RngR.

He has a .328 career OBP and a .314 OBP over the last 2 years combined.

Iggy's career minor league OBP is .313. (.302 in AAA, but .318 in 2012)

Let's assume Drew would have a .320 OBP and Iggy a .280 OBP. That means Drew would get on base 20 more times over 500 PAs (he'd also likely have 30-40 more XBHs), but clearly Iggy would make at least 40 more plays on defense over Drew in 150 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

What are the chances of the sox moving Bogarts to LF in the future and keeping the defense at SS, I would not rule out Iggy just yet.  That kind of glove doesnt come around often.  Our lineup in 2014 and forward would be pretty young and very talented.  I think that lineup will more than make up for Iggy's bat, which will get better for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mrkite74's comment:

What are the chances of the sox moving Bogarts to LF in the future and keeping the defense at SS, I would not rule out Iggy just yet.  That kind of glove doesnt come around often.  Our lineup in 2014 and forward would be pretty young and very talented.  I think that lineup will more than make up for Iggy's bat, which will get better for sure.

That's what I'd like to see. Although the only playing time XMan has seen away from SS so far has been at 3B.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I agree.

Oh look I disagreed with Cherington And we all know I never do that.

Okay , but don't move the goalposts .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

I find I almost always agree with your short but to the point statements! I give this one 200% agreement.

Thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mrkite74's comment:

I see:

C: Vazquez, Lava, Swihart

1B: Middlebrooks, T Shaw

2B: Pedey, Ciriaco, Holt

3B: Bogaerts, Cecchini

SS: Iggy, Marrero, Vinicio

LF: Linares, Nava, Jacobs

CF: Bradley, Kalish

RF: Brentz, de la Cruz

SP: Tazawa, Webster, DLR, Doubront, Barnes, Owens, B Johnson

RP: Bard, Breslow, Wilson, Carpenter, Beato, de la Torres, Workman, Mortensen...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It looks as if it could be now, but last year gave no indication that Iggy was going to hit. He looked very over matched last year. He has bulked up a little and looks a lot more comfortable up there. Unfortunately the Sox couldnt look into the future last year and see this happening, so they covered their azz. 

And Drew is only on a one year deal. So worst case would be Iggy goes back down to Pawtucket when Drew gets healthy and has a year to build his confidence at the plate. Best case would be they're both playing good and we spin Drew for another power arm for Pawtucket or Portland.

I was just going to post something like this. My best-case scenario right now is that Iglesias keeps up his success at Pawtucket while Drew has a nice first half and gets us some value in a midseason trade.

yea Ok...they are all going to be lining up to sign Drew and his TEN MILLION DOLLAR Salary because he is such a valuable player..

is it possible just to say that the Drew signing, like the Bailey trade, was a huge mistake?

Drew for one year was not a mistake.  Drew for 4 years would have been a mistake.  Have some perspective....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And can we stop acting like $9.5mill is such an unprecedented and immobile baseball salary?  It really shows ignorance to think that way, especially considering one of the worst contracts in MLB history (Vernon Wells) is about to be traded for the second time.

If Wells deal can be moved TWICE, Drew can be moved once.  There are already two 2013 playoff hopefuls with shortstops out due to injury  (Dodgers, Cardinals).   Two, and the season has not even started yet.

(And you can bet the Dodgers would LOVE to dump Andre Ethier right now, considering how Yasiel Puig has come on out of nowhere. )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:

And can we stop acting like $9.5mill is such an unprecedented and immobile baseball salary?  It really shows ignorance to think that way, especially considering one of the worst contracts in MLB history (Vernon Wells) is about to be traded for the second time.

If Wells deal can be moved TWICE, Drew can be moved once.  There are already two 2013 playoff hopefuls with shortstops out due to injury  (Dodgers, Cardinals).   Two, and the season has not even started yet.

(And you can bet the Dodgers would LOVE to dump Andre Ethier right now, considering how Yasiel Puig has come on out of nowhere. )

Too much thinking there, notin...I think geo has the right idea.  Keep it simple...just use these 4 magic words: 'Ben is an idiot.'

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Those who call the Drew signing bad idea are hypocrites. After 25 games last yr to end season and hitting robust .118 to say Iggy deserved startingg SS job is complete idiocy IMO. Now because Iggy is having some success against a lot of AAA pitching [if 270 is to be compared to greatness]. Iggy has shown improvement this spring the added weight/strength has looked to make him a better hitter - Great news for RS fans! But while Iggy will probably be the OD SS unless he lights the world on fire first week or 2 of season he will be back down in AAA to prove this spring was not a fluke and Drew will return to be the starting SS.

In a perfect world Iggy goes back to AAA and proves ST was not a fluke, continues to hit .270 or better there. Drew plays to his norm .280 / 340 obp makes the plays at SS and at the trading dealine Drew becomes a top prority for some contending team and RS can come away w/ a player like Zach Wheeler like Mets did 2 yrs ago for C.Beltran. 

As for all this talk about defensive metrics, IMO can throw out the window at times. Yesterdays RS game vs O's Lyle Overbay [LF hitter] at plate w/ runner at 1B, hits a ground ball [not sharply] to left side of 2nd base where JJ Hardy [defensive metric guru for SS's] can not get to ball to [off his glove] no error given on play, runners 1st and 2nd. Should have been easy double play. Thats why defensive metrics can be so judgemental. Iggy makes that play easily! Not sure if anyone else saw that play or pd attention LF hitter / man on 1st / dbl play ball, yet JJ Hardy is one of the finest fielding SS's in all of baseball according to defensive metrics- give me a break! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

But, isn't the payoff going to be something like $34M out of $42M owed?

I suppose we can pay half of Drew's deal, but if we trade him at the deadline, that's just about $2M out of $9.5M.

It's $9.5M that could have been spent on a higher need area or added to the cost of someone we signed to upgrade to a better player.

You are right, in and of itself, it's not a horrible deal, but many here think we could have done better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Those who call the Drew signing bad idea are hypocrites. After 25 games last yr to end season and hitting robust .118 to say Iggy deserved startingg SS job is complete idiocy IMO.

25 game sample size judgements is what is "complete idiocy". Looking at just BA and not the total package is the same.

Now because Iggy is having some success against a lot of AAA pitching [if 270 is to be compared to greatness]. Iggy has shown improvement this spring the added weight/strength has looked to make him a better hitter - Great news for RS fans!

I'd still be for Iggy if he was hitting .240 in ST. It's not about being hot for 50 PAs in ST, it's about playing the plus SS, not the negative one.

But while Iggy will probably be the OD SS unless he lights the world on fire first week or 2 of season he will be back down in AAA to prove this spring was not a fluke and Drew will return to be the starting SS.

Agree. Iggy will be sent down, maybe even if he is hitting .300 when Drew returns. (In 25 games?)

In a perfect world Iggy goes back to AAA and proves ST was not a fluke, continues to hit .270 or better there. Drew plays to his norm .280 / 340 obp makes the plays at SS and at the trading dealine Drew becomes a top prority for some contending team and RS can come away w/ a player like Zach Wheeler like Mets did 2 yrs ago for C.Beltran. 

By then, the games lost due to a poor ranged SS may make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for all this talk about defensive metrics, IMO can throw out the window at times. Yesterdays RS game vs O's Lyle Overbay [LF hitter] at plate w/ runner at 1B, hits a ground ball [not sharply] to left side of 2nd base where JJ Hardy [defensive metric guru for SS's] can not get to ball to [off his glove] no error given on play, runners 1st and 2nd. Should have been easy double play. Thats why defensive metrics can be so judgemental. Iggy makes that play easily! Not sure if anyone else saw that play or pd attention LF hitter / man on 1st / dbl play ball, yet JJ Hardy is one of the finest fielding SS's in all of baseball according to defensive metrics- give me a break! 

Now, you are using a 1 play sample size?

Geesh!

1 play, so throw out the total body of his work. (Besides, maybe Drew doesn't even get within 2 feet of the ball, and you never even realize it was playable.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Two BB and 9 k in 50 or so ab seems to indicate he need time at AAA   .Drew wiil be the starting SS all season.

Well....Drew may be on the D.L. to start the season so he can't be there "all season" 

Seeing how Drew is a horrible defensive SS the bar is pretty low for Iggy at a defense first position.  So if Drew is hitting .250 with .700 OPS next year then we mine as well plug Iggy in there.  At least he can get better offensively as the season goes on, in contrast to Drew who will be 30....I doubt there is any room for growth there, more likely regression. 

Hard to say what Drew will do at the plate. He might hit .280 with 15 hrs or 250 with 8. He had a .352 OBP in 2010   Iggy will not come close to those numbers.. Hope I'm wrong . Drew is  an average fielding SS not as horrible as some think if he's healthy

According to fangraphs, Drew has the 3rd worst RngR factor since 2006.

He's rated 20th out of 30 since 2010 in RngR.

He has a .328 career OBP and a .314 OBP over the last 2 years combined.

Iggy's career minor league OBP is .313. (.302 in AAA, but .318 in 2012)

Let's assume Drew would have a .320 OBP and Iggy a .280 OBP. That means Drew would get on base 20 more times over 500 PAs (he'd also likely have 30-40 more XBHs), but clearly Iggy would make at least 40 more plays on defense over Drew in 150 games.

Drew has been dealing with a major ankle injury since 2011..Theres your 2 years. And Ive already gone over not relying totally on defensive metrics. They dont tell the whole story and in no way shhape or form can possibly make up for every variable that defense has. Ask most MLB players and theydont care for them either. Now, offensive and pitching metrics can at least show you trends and are a bit more predictable.

SD positions himself to the pitch thrown, the batters tendencies and the situation on the field. Hes hardly ever in the wrong spot, which allows him to get to a lot of balls. That makes up for his poor range. It doesnt mean hes as good as Iggy, not at all. But it certainly doesnt mean hes as bad as those defensive metrics say he is.

Im not a big fan for defensive metrics. I take them into consideration, but not as much as offense and pitching. You can throw all those numbers at me and I will still tell you the same thing about Drew. Hes not as bad as the defensive metrics say.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew has been dealing with a major ankle injury since 2011..Theres your 2 years. And Ive already gone over not relying totally on defensive metrics. They dont tell the whole story and in no way shhape or form can possibly make up for every variable that defense has. Ask most MLB players and theydont care for them either. Now, offensive and pitching metrics can at least show you trends and are a bit more predictable.

Then look at his numbers before 2011. He's still near the bottom in plays made (range).

He's still got a pin in his foot. Why should we expect increase range from the point he was prior to the injury? 

SD positions himself to the pitch thrown, the batters tendencies and the situation on the field. Hes hardly ever in the wrong spot, which allows him to get to a lot of balls. That makes up for his poor range. It doesnt mean hes as good as Iggy, not at all. But it certainly doesnt mean hes as bad as those defensive metrics say he is.

1) You assume he positions himself better than others and Iggy. How many games have you watched him play?

2) If he psoitioned himself so well, why is he always belwo average in plays made? 

Im not a big fan for defensive metrics. I take them into consideration, but not as much as offense and pitching. You can throw all those numbers at me and I will still tell you the same thing about Drew. Hes not as bad as the defensive metrics say.

Why? What are you basing your opinion on? If he was on the Yanks, would you feel the same way?

Even if the guy is average on D, Iggy will make 40-50 more plays than him in 2013 over 150 games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Then look at his numbers before 2011. He's still near the bottom in plays made (range).

He's still got a pin in his foot. Why should we expect increase range from the point he was prior to the injury? 

1) You assume he positions himself better than others and Iggy. How many games have you watched him play?

2) If he psoitioned himself so well, why is he always belwo average in plays made? 

Why? What are you basing your opinion on? If he was on the Yanks, would you feel the same way?

Even if the guy is average on D, Iggy will make 40-50 more plays than him in 2013 over 150 games.

Easy bro...Im not comparing him to Iggy nor did I ever assume or even suggest he positions himself better than Iggy. I even said hes no where near as good defensivelythan him. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I could care less what team he is on. Do you really think Im that shallow to even suggest how I feel about a players defense coincides with what uniform he wears? Come on Moon, give me a little more credit than that. DJ is on NY and I think he was one of the best SS to play.

Im just simply saying hes not as bad as those defensive metrics say. Thats all. I think Ive seen enough games and talked to enough people around him to come to that conclusion. (Up until I moved back to NH I produced and worked behind the scenes for a couple sports talk shows) If we went strictly by those metrics, he shouldnt even be at SS. Once again, hes not AS BAD as the numbers suggest. It doesnt mean hes better than Iggy, It doesnt even mean hes a great SS. It means hes not AS BAD.

I understand why they signed him. I dont agree with the $$, but the reason. Iggy gave no reason to believe he would be able to hit MLB pitching at a good enough rate to warrant a starting SS job last year. They bought their insurance (Drew). Nobody could predict that he would bulk up and do what hes done so far. Im not totally convinced and would like for Iggy to get more consistent AB's before saying hes ready offensively. But he looks more confident at the plate and has made some solid contact. We can move Drew if need be and eat a little $$. It was the right move IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I realize there were many other factors involved, but last year when Oakland acquired Drew they were 65-56.  They went 29-12 the rest of the way.  At the least, he doesn't seem to have hurt them. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts