Iglesias is here to stay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Iglesias is here to stay

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Iggy becomes an easier keeper, since he can always replace Ciriaco.

How quickly fools start singing a different tune. The reality is that he needs to replace S. Drew. Ciriaco will likely clear waivers, and it's a great time to run him through waivers. S. Drew is a bench guy who should be the pinch hitter for Iglesias and the backup SS and 2B until they can unload most of his contract. With Brock Holt, the sooner they get S. Drew off this team the better. He's playing for a contract, whily Iglesias is where the time needs to be invested.

JBJ is pretty easy to demote, assuming no injuries. No way he replaces Carp, Nava or Gomes, and Ells and Vic are a given.

Carp's a bum, Bradley is a superior talent. Vic is a part-timer who should be platooned with Nava. Ellsbury 9M contract needs to be on the trade block. Gomes is almost worthless on the trade market, and should remain in a bench role on the team that has serious issues v. LP (he hasn't been the answer but he has to get better).

With Bradley and Shane, Ellsbury is totally expendable. Some team will offer better than the draft compensation.

Drew is a bench guy? No he isn't.

Vic is a part-timer? No he isn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

double post

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

last month we have folks saying that Iggy didnt even belong in Boston...now he is here to stay...lol... although the Drew bootlickers are trying to qualify that by saying SDrew should still be the starter and Iggy should be spending as much time at 3b subbing for WM as much as for ss

WRONG

WM was in a slump before being injured but a power guy who put up great numbers last year

Drew is the odd man out as far as not starting...The nonsense about AAA being a necessary duty for Iggy has hopefully breathed its last breath....If he is major league ready to be a great defensive shortstop, then he shouldve stayed the first time. The reps/at bats can come anywhere...and hitting (unlike fielding) at one level doesnt mean you will succeed at the next...

the transition from Iggy to Drew needs to be made now, not in september - the season is 1/3 over and as Nick Carfado said, Drew hasnt been as advertised. Move on and play your best players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

When Iglesias was coming up one scout said he has the best hands he'd ever seen. I think he might be right. We have seen it so many times now. He makes great plays look easy.

He has shown a propensity for getting hurt though and his MLB BABIP is over .500. He has had a lot of luck as a mlb hitter so far. 

To me, he is a near ideal infield back up guy. A sub who might actually improve the team when he is in there. Let's keep him healthy and get maximum productivity out of the team as a result. Give both Drew, Middlebrooks and Pedroia some rest when needed. At year end slot him at SS for next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

In response to beavis*'s comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

When Iglesias was coming up one scout said he has the best hands he'd ever seen. I think he might be right. We have seen it so many times now. He makes great plays look easy.

He has shown a propensity for getting hurt though and his MLB BABIP is over .500. He has had a lot of luck as a mlb hitter so far. 

To me, he is a near ideal infield back up guy. A sub who might actually improve the team when he is in there. Let's keep him healthy and get maximum productivity out of the team as a result. Give both Drew, Middlebrooks and Pedroia some rest when needed. At year end slot him at SS for next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis*. Show beavis*'s posts

Not use to this new posting, but Iglesias may end up being better than Vizquel or may end up being a super-utility sub in the NL for defensive shifts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I'm not going to tear down Drew. He is a decent player and has been adequate defensively. The thing is , Iglesias is a special talent on defense. The kind that you don't see too often. And he continues to have good at bats. He has to play. 

I was fortunate enough to watch Ozzie play a couple of games. They called him the Wizard, and that was not an overstatement. It's early but I've seen how thid handles not only his glove, but his legs and his instincts. Looks like we've got another Ozzie Smith!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Iglesias is a bit of an enigma in terms of his AAA play vs. his play at Boston, which this year has been stellar and worlds better than last season when he couldn't hit.  When sent back to Pawtucket in April, Iglesias pouted and was benched for not running out grounders. 

His defensive skills are amazing and there for everyone to see--even at 3B.  The question was the hitting, and so far this season it's been very good in two stints--first for Drew, now for Middlebrooks--in Boston.  So there are plenty of reasons to keep Iglesias in Boston even if he replaces Ciriaco as the utility guy.

Last year should have taught us it's dumb to assume no one gets injured and that dumping Drew can't possibly have consequences.  The Sox dumped Youk, including paying his salary in 2012, and by the end of that season could have used him at three positions--3B, 1B, and DH. 

So softlaw is wrong to want to dump Drew regardless of the cost.  He has played a very solid SS and had some timely hits--a more than adequate SS and certainly better than Ciriaco now that Iglesias is temporarily at 3B.

As for Bradley, hard not to like him and see him as the CF in 2014.  And right now he is standing in for Ellsbury in fine fashion--the Sox took 2 of 3 against the Yankees in NYC with Bradley in CF.  The case for keeping Bradley in Boston is a little tougher once Ellsbury and Victorino are both back.  Before the groin pull, Ellsbury was hitting very well and could/can do things Bradley can't yet do on offense.  Victorino has been pretty good in RF, but his OPS is still .705, to say nothing of the fact that he has so far played in just 34 of 58 Sox games to date.  But Victorino has the three year contract which drives the FO to want to play him every day. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Bogaerts is playing SS only at Portland.and doing a fine job.  If the Red Sox were so high on Iggy Bogaerts would be playing some at 3B or 1B . 

I understand your thinking but you also have to look at who is behind Bogaerts to 'replace him' at SS and who will he be bunmping at 3B?  Right now Boggy is a SS and he is also far away from helping us.  I think he will spend the whole year at AA/AAA.  Maybe when he gets the callup to AAA he may see a position switch but not in AA Portland.  He will be be a ST invitee next year and could be the JBJ of this year...but I still think he spends much of next year at AAA and be a mid-season callup.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

Looks like your time frame is about right.  What i'm saying is until the Red  Sox move Boggy to another position they still think of him as our SS of the future

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that not moving Xander to third signals that the club sees him as the SS of the future.  In the same way that they had to sign a stop-gap like Drew this year (because of Iggy's pre-2013 inability to hit at major league level), the club obviously has had to keep options open as to who is the future SS.  If Iglesias keeps up the good work, I bet we see some work at third/left field for Boegarts this summer.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

last month we have folks saying that Iggy didnt even belong in Boston...now he is here to stay...lol... although the Drew bootlickers are trying to qualify that by saying SDrew should still be the starter and Iggy should be spending as much time at 3b subbing for WM as much as for ss

WRONG

WM was in a slump before being injured but a power guy who put up great numbers last year

Drew is the odd man out as far as not starting...The nonsense about AAA being a necessary duty for Iggy has hopefully breathed its last breath....If he is major league ready to be a great defensive shortstop, then he shouldve stayed the first time. The reps/at bats can come anywhere...and hitting (unlike fielding) at one level doesnt mean you will succeed at the next...

the transition from Iggy to Drew needs to be made now, not in september - the season is 1/3 over and as Nick Carfado said, Drew hasnt been as advertised. Move on and play your best players.

[/QUOTE]

Nick Cafardo is an idiot. he was the one who wanted to trade the farm for mauer and sign Hamilton for 25x5...Amongst many many other asinine  ideas.  A baseball ops man he is not.

You can look at my poosts from way back. Ive always said that I think Iggy will be able to hit MLB pitching. Signing Drew, or another SS was the right choice IMO. Iggy looks good right now. If the Sox are looking to trade Drew, I highly doubt it would be done before they see how Middy does and another team is in need of a SS. It will also give them a little longer to see Iggy hit more.

People dont understand that the Sox arent a small market team that needs to let kids develop in MLB, nor will they. If you like that concept, go cheer for the Marlins. Not handing Iggy the job like some wanted has made him a better player. They handled him correctly. I wouldnt think they are looking for trade partners right now afrer a couple good games though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I'm glad Iggy is getting some playing time while WMB is out.  Back in April, I thought Drew was brought back from his concussion too early ... it would have been better to transfer him to the 15-day DL and give him more time to ramp up, especially when you consider that Iggy was pretty hot at the time.  But the thing is, if you take away Drew's first 10 or so games, he is hitting pretty nicely for a SS and his D is just fine.  I am hoping that when Iggy comes back to earth (.500 BABIP is simply NOT sustainable) he still proves to be a serviceable hitter.  For now, though, the idea that Iggy's luck fueled 1.000+ OPS over all of 50 at-bats "proves" he is a better overall SS than Drew is pretty laughable.  I'm perfectly fine with Iggy taking over the UIF role and getting more games (even a LOT more games) than you'd typically see for that role, but the idea that we "must" make him the starting SS because he's hit well in 50 AB's is pretty laughable.  People see what they want to see.  Overall, I hope Drew and Iggy both do well.  Same thing for Ells, Victorino and JBJ.  

GO SOX!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Yep.  When and if we see that it will probably indicate Iggy wiil be our SS. 

We may be seeing it now.  I understand that no baseball strories are told in short form, and of course his ludicrous BABIP at the beginning of the season accounted for his high batting average:  he really wasnt hitting the ball well.  But, since his return, he is really tagging the ball.  That in combination with his ridiculously awesome fill-in slide over to third, and I am thinking he may be cementing his future, now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Iggy is a talented defender and has been a talented defender that's why the Sox gave him a substantial bonus. The reason they aren't moving Boggie and Marrero is they want to keep the pressure on Iggy to work at his skill. Perhaps the Sox don't see him long term as their SS.

Softy Law is a money counter and has had a long term dislike for the Drew Family. There is no question Drew's hitting this season has been very disappointing. How much less disappointing than WMB or Gomes?

Things run in cycles---I would be very disappointed if the Sox sit Drew--they may decide to platoon him with Iggy but I don't think they will run Iggy out there every day @ SS. As has been pointed out he makes all the plays at third--he appears to be better defensively than WMB. Iggy could be in the lineup every day between 3 B, SS and an occasional opportunity at 2 B. 

Softy Law is there someone else besides Carp that you also dislike? You must really dislike Carp because you use that naughty word, that begins with B and ends in M, that you have reserved for only those you really dislike like Dempster and Wakefield-can't be monetary with Carp because he's making only $508,000; that's about the average for the team we are trying to get you to follow--the Houston Astros.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I look forward to a down-the-middle of Iggy-Pedroia-Bradley, and maybe Lavanway. Once Lavanway shortens up his swing (even if he has to Choke-up!), it will be a super-defensive group, and save a helluva lot of runs! And that maybe a year or so away. Meanwhile, Salty is most certainly improving!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I was ridiculed for saying Iggy would hit close to .300 as an everyday player.

Hmmm, maybe I should have said .400!

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Go ahead and say it now.  I dares ya.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hahaha.  I like your style Ike:  practically dissappear as all your negative prognostications are being beat down, but pop up the moment you can get one little back-pat-i-told-ya-so in.  Kudos Ike, kudos.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

Hahaha.  I like your style Ike:  practically dissappear as all your negative prognostications are being beat down, but pop up the moment you can get one little back-pat-i-told-ya-so in.  Kudos Ike, kudos.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't think we'd see Ike until the Sox lost 10 straight and were in fourth place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't think we'd see Ike until the Sox lost 10 straight and were in fourth place.

[/QUOTE]

Because most of us can handle when we are wrong. When your wrong as much as Ike, I imagine it can be quite overwhelming.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The fact that Bogaerts is still playing shortstop means nothing. He could easily slide over to third at any time. Look how quickly Iglesias was able to make the move. It surely is not necessary for him to get a full year at third in the minors. It is a given that the better defender plays shortstop. That would be Iglesias. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts