Iglesias - Not the Answer at SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Iglesias - Not the Answer at SS

From what I have seen so far with Ingelsias, his swing is horrible and he will never hit major league pitching. I don't care how good they say his fielding is (yesterday's bad play), but he's not the answer.

As they say, even after 16 at bats, a blind squirrel would have a hit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Iglesias - Not the Answer at SS

Maybe he'll come around but right now he looks completely over matched.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

From what I have seen so far with Ingelsias, his swing is horrible and he will never hit major league pitching. I don't care how good they say his fielding is (yesterday's bad play), but he's not the answer.

You probably said the same thing about Pedroia when he was starting out. Give the kid some time. he was hitting .329 in AAA so we know he can hit. He couldn't get the handle on the ball, so what. He made an unbelievable play the next time the ball was hit to him in the very same inning.
    I suppose you want Aviles at SS. He'll be 32 at the start of the 2013 season and is not the future at SS.
    DeJesus? He's nothing more than a trade chip for the off-season, as are all the minor leaguers the Sox acquired for Agon.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Classic Red Sox fan thinking. " Bring up the kid, bring up the kid" was the mantra all season.  Now he's here, he struggles offensively for his first few games, and it's time to dump him.

I'm not saying he's the ultimate answer at short; I honestly have no idea.  But I do know this; if the rest of the line-up was decent, we wouldn't care if the kid was struggling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jose Iglesias hit .329 in August (in 73 at-bats) at Triple A Pawtucket, but .266 in 353 at-bats on the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with you all that Iggy isnt the answer to play SS for next season.  Is he ever going to get better with his hitting?   I am not sure about that.  But what is the difference if Boston trade him if Boston already have another SS who is ranked higher than Iggy as one of the top Red Sox's organization 10 best prospects.  Also Boston drafted 22 years old SS who is also in the top 20 best prospects for the Red Sox organization. 

I am sure that Boston would use Iggy as a trade bait along with others to get one good quality pitcher in return!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bogaerts should take over the job at SS in less than 2 yrs.  Iggy can be traded this winter and Ivan De Jesus and Ciriaco will be sharing the duty next season with Aviles also being traded.  Bogaerts should stay at his current position and could probably hit the majors as early as late 2013 if keeps performing like he is right now.  Bogaerts are getting better and better at fielding as he plays through out the season and there shouldn't be any question marks about his offense.  I would love to see Webster and Brentz added to 40 men and get the callups to see what they've got in the big league.. also they should see signigicant time in ST 2013. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Much too soon to judge Iglesias. It is common for players to struggle to adjust when promoted to the next level. He took some time to adjust to AAA also.  Seeing the same thing with Lavarnway.  Brentz is off to a slow start at AAA.  Bradley is still trying to adjust to AA.  Barnes has not yet dominated in high A the way he did in low A.   Ranaudo has struggled.  All of this is normal player development. Some fans want instant results.  Need to be a little more patient. Baseball is a difficult game. Each new level is a challenge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Much too soon to judge Iglesias. It is common for players to struggle to adjust when promoted to the next level. He took some time to adjust to AAA also.  Seeing the same thing with Lavarnway.  Brentz is off to a slow start at AAA.  Bradley is still trying to adjust to AA.  Barnes has not yet dominated in high A the way he did in low A.   Ranaudo has struggled.  All of this is normal player development. Some fans want instant results.  Need to be a little more patient. Baseball is a difficult game. Each new level is a challenge.

I don't want instant results.  I want Iggy to stay in AAA until he is ready to hit ML pitching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to harv53'z comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG'z comment:

You probably said the same thing about Pedroia when he was starting out. Give the kid some time. he was hitting .329 in AAA so we know he can hit. He couldn't get the handle on the ball, so what. He made an unbelievable play the next time the ball was hit to him in the very same inning.
    I suppose you want Aviles at SS. He'll be 32 at the start of the 2013 season and is not the future at SS.
    DeJesus? He's nothing more than a trade chip for the off-season, as are all the minor leaguers the Sox acquired for Agon.

Not according to many scouts, including Keith Law.  Law rates de la Rosa and Webster higher than Matt Barnes.

Who was hitting .329 in AAA, btw?

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

He's never had much of a bat, people knew that all along. Xander Boegarts is the SS of the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He reached the point where he was hitting .266 in AAA , after a slow start. If he can hit that in MLB , he will be an asset with his defense.  Have to give him a chance. What is there to lose by leaving him at short for the rest of the year ?   Bogaerts will always be a better hitter , but he will not be as good defensively. Bogaerts can be moved to a different position , if need be.  Have to give Iglesias an extended chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

You really have to give this kid a chance. His defense is something we haven't seen around here in years. He was able to hit at Lowell, Portland and Pawtucket..he'll figure it out with some help from Magadan. He doesn't need to be more than a 240 hitter to be a huge asset to this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would guess that not many of us have ever seen Bogaerts field so i am guessing that Iglesius and his quality defense would be a nice addition to next year's team even if Bogaerts is always likely to be the better hitter.

Yes, I know that he is not hitting right now and I feel that part of his struggles are due to the expectations/concerns about his hitting and also due to his hitting approach not being totally adjusted to his size and style.  He is never going to get paid because of his ability to hit with both power and average. He is and likely always will be a great glove man.

He is not (at least not yet) ready to hit home runs and power balls into the gaps for doubles and triples.  He needs to be a 'singles" hitter.  He needs to have a different approach and he needs different hitting goals.

Would you be happy if he could get a two singles in every three games in the 9th spot in the order? and, get a walk or two every three games?, and if he could advance runners with a sac bunt every other game? and could learn to bunt for a single well enough to force the corner defenders to have to play in all the time while getting a bunt base hit once every three games?

I think that he can do these things if he were to shorten his swing, become a bunt-for-a single guy and concentrate on hitting hard ground balls and line drives up the middle.  I believe that three hard hit balls up the middle probably get him one hit per game and at least two every three games.  These hits along with a bunt base knock, a walk and a sacrifice will keep him in the lineup most of the time although he could get pinch hit for late in games.

Although you do not find many such guys any longer, there used to be many guys in the major leagues who found ways to get their gloves into the lineups by being such a hitter.
    Sometimes I wonder why these guys from past generations who had great gloves are so quickly forgotten.  I also wonder why managers and hitting coaches seem to expect every player to hit just like everyone else. Iglesius is not Pedroia and he is not Ross or Ortiz either, and should not be expected to be any of those other guys.

So what if he never hits homeruns?  Hitting .260 with an OBP of .330 and his great defense will make him a major contributor every year.  His glove will save at least 1/2 run per game over anyone the Sox have had at shortstop on a regular basis for the last ten years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806 comment:

Much to early to tell ......  Heck, who would have thought that my call for "TRANSFORMATION" WOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN SO SERIOUSLY ????

Gee Bill, you were so right. Sox should have brought up Iggy long time ago. He has been wasting a way in the minors. I mean look at all the runs he's saved the Sox so far. Whoever kept him down so long should be fired.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Go read the scouting report on Bogaerts, who is a much better hitter than fielder so far.  I think he will end up in the outfield (at 6'3") or at first base. 

I do not at all believe the hype from moonslav and others that Iglesias will dramatically reduce runs scored against our pitching staff.  To date, I believe he has given up an unearned run, but saved none.  But I have not give up on him simply because, despite his lousy hitting, I think he would be fun to watch on every day basis.  Great hands, throw, movement, etc.  I'm guessing, however, the hitting will kill him as a regular.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Bogaerts will not be a SS in the majors.  Corner OF more likely since 3B is covered, unless Middlebrooks moves to 1st.  I think Marrero ends up at SS in a couple years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A year ago I thought the Red Sox could afford a great-glove, little-hit shortstop in a powerful lineup that included Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis, Carl Crawford, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury.

Now I have my doubts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Go read the scouting report on Bogaerts, who is a much better hitter than fielder so far.  I think he will end up in the outfield (at 6'3") or at first base. 

I do not at all believe the hype from moonslav and others that Iglesias will dramatically reduce runs scored against our pitching staff.  To date, I believe he has given up an unearned run, but saved none.  But I have not give up on him simply because, despite his lousy hitting, I think he would be fun to watch on every day basis.  Great hands, throw, movement, etc.  I'm guessing, however, the hitting will kill him as a regular.  

Of course he wont dramatically reduce runs scored.  He hasn't saved a run yet.  Some people on here were claiming he would drastically reduce pitchers ERA and save two runs a game.

I wish I were joking but I am not.

His upside is being a Mark Belanger type.  That is fine, but it isn't anything to get excited about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to snakeoil123 comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Of course he wont dramatically reduce runs scored.  He hasn't saved a run yet.  Some people on here were claiming he would drastically reduce pitchers ERA and save two runs a game.

I wish I were joking but I am not.

His upside is being a Mark Belanger type.  That is fine, but it isn't anything to get excited about.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the claims of how many runs he'd save has been grossly overstated. I saw some ridiculous number and at best, that would be the number of baserunners he'd save -- still overstated -- but not all those runners would score.

There's no doubt that he'd save some runs. But here's where a great defensive SS makes his impact even more -- fewer baserunners. Let's say with two outs, he gets to a a ball another SS wouldn't get to and there's three outs. Inning's over. If another SS is there and the ball gets through, the pitcher could very well get the next guy out but it might take another seven or eight pitches.

So I have no problem with a great defensive SS but he has to have something of a bat. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

In response to hill55 comment:
    [QUOTE]Jose Iglesias hit .329 in August (in 73 at-bats) at Triple A Pawtucket, but .266 in 353 at-bats on the year.[/QUOTE]
    That is great,
    he can be a career Triple A guy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should have traded him when we decided not to give him a chance.

I still think having a fantastic fielding SS more than makes up for a weak bat, but this management team clearly thinks otherwise, so they should deal him before his stock might fall further.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Is this like an annual rite of passage in here?

The all 'can't-play' list-

2012 Iggy (5 games)
    2011 Reddck
    2010 Doubront
    2009 Buchholz
    2008 Masterson
    2007 Lester
    2006 Pedey
    2005 Youk

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Is this like an annual rite of passage in here?

The all 'can't-play' list-

2012 Iggy (5 games)
    2011 Reddck
    2010 Doubront
    2009 Buchholz
    2008 Masterson
    2007 Lester
    2006 Pedey
    2005 Youk

I missed on Pedey and Reddick.  I liked all the others.

Again though I am not judging Iggy over 5 games.  I saw him play a bunch in Portland.  I do not think he is a bust.  I do think that the Red Sox are not going to have a guy that slugs .290 be there starting SS.

Alex Gonzalez was possibly the best fielding SS the Sox had in a long while. That and hitting 255 with 9 homers got him a one way ticket out of town.

Sections
Shortcuts