Iglesias the beloved

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Iglesias the beloved

Well Ben C might not love him that much, and Farrell was willing to part with him.  But under Theo Epstein he got a $10M minor league contract when he was not yet 20. 

Now he is the Tigers SS, and the former SS Peralta, now back after returning from suspension, is on there in LF, and the Tigers leftfielder, Kelly, 2 for 3 in the postseason, is riding the pine so Iglesias can stay at SS, where he is now 1 for 9.  Oh, and the Tigers just might be going down for the count tomorrow if not in Oakland on Thursday. 

I personally wanted Iglesias to stay in Boston, but have to admit Drew has been very good.  The Tigers, meanwhile, don't care how good Peralta might be as a hitter, they want Iglesias at SS--win, lose, or draw. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Iglesias the beloved

Not to be picky but he got signed by Theo for $8 mil, not 10. I agree with your overall point though. The Tigers do value him greatly, and for good reason.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

The "right" or "wrong" of this trade isn't going to be known for  few years.  I still think Iggy is going to be Iggy defensively and will hit no worse than .240 - which is what most posters would have been happy with.

The Sox gave up a lot for Peavy and if he doesn't pitch well in the PS the trade isn't going to look good, just as it's not going to look good if he's not at least .500 next year with at least 12 wins.

After that, if Iggy is hitting .250+ and is still being Iggy defensively the trade still may not look good. 

IMO the only way it looks good this year is if the Sox win the WS and Peavy has 3-4 PS wins (starting with Game 4 of the ALDS).

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Here's hoping for a "Peavy the beloved" thread tomorrow night without the sarcasm.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Iggy will be fine and Peavy will be fine.

the fact is...we needed a SP for this year.  for a playoff run.  keeping another ss would not have made the difference this year.  adding another SP does.  tonight is proof of that.  regardless of W or L, the right move this season was to add a SP for the playoff run.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Well Ben C might not love him that much, and Farrell was willing to part with him.  But under Theo Epstein he got a $10M minor league contract when he was not yet 20. 

Now he is the Tigers SS, and the former SS Peralta, now back after returning from suspension, is on there in LF, and the Tigers leftfielder, Kelly, 2 for 3 in the postseason, is riding the pine so Iglesias can stay at SS, where he is now 1 for 9.  Oh, and the Tigers just might be going down for the count tomorrow if not in Oakland on Thursday. 

I personally wanted Iglesias to stay in Boston, but have to admit Drew has been very good.  The Tigers, meanwhile, don't care how good Peralta might be as a hitter, they want Iglesias at SS--win, lose, or draw. 

BINGO......  CONCUR !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My OP was not intended to take sides, but only to show the duality of how Iglesias is perceived by both teams and by many Sox fans.  I wrote "beloved" to indicate Leyland seems pretty committed to Iglesias when he gets his very good hitting SS back and sends him to LF to keep Iglesias at SS.

On the other hand, the Sox right now have one very good SS for this season in Drew, whose WAR is much higher than Iglesias's, and one potentially very good SS in Bogaerts.  So I think Cherington had to make the deal for Peavy when it became feasible because with Buch out the rotation needed reinforcing.  So, while I agree Iglesias may go on to have a solid career in Detroit, I think the Sox should not fare too badly with Drew or Bogaerts at SS next year and in years to come. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Being the flag-bearer for Iggy I was asked what the Tigers were going to do when Peralta came back.  That question has now been answered. 

There is now some revisionist history going on with some folks saying that we needed a SP for the PS when in reality we were all clamoring for a RP.  One who could have been gotten at a much cheaper price than a young, very good ML ready SS.

Like most trades, the true value of this trade may not be seen for years.  If Iggy washes out  this trade will look very good in a few years. If the Sox go deep into the playoffs this year (and just how deep is a matter of opinion) it will be a step toward the trade looking good.  If they don't it may not look as good.

Only time will tell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not to argue your point that leyand might love iggy

but peralta going to LF could say more about kelly than anything else

chosing iggy over kelly is a no brainer

iggy over peralta not so simple

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You keep saying Iggy got $10M. He signed for $8.25M over 4 years, including a $6M signing bonus.

I really wanted Iggy to be our FT since 2012 and into the great beyond, but let's face it, Ben was never going to hand the FT job to Iggy. Like it or not, he was going to be nothing more than a utility IF'er for the Sox. 

To think in these terms is to see that we got two playoff cycles of Jake Peavy for a utility IF'er.

(Note: I do not see Iggy as a UIF, but I think Ben and John did and do see him that way.)

Sox4ever

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Who cares how management "see him". That's the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge mistake!!!!!!

I hate it when I agree with him^^^. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Who cares how management "see him". That's the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge mistake!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

You should, because he doesn't mean anything he says.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You should, because he doesn't mean anything he says.

[/QUOTE]

I see it more as a blind squirrel finding an acorn.  Smile

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Peavy was big already in helping the Sox get to the PS. He could close things out tonight in Tampa. The trade was the right move for what the Sox needed to go deep into the PS. They NEEDED a good starter, not rely on young tired arms who were almost at their innings limit. So yes, we can tell right now if the trade was good. It was a move they needed to make.

If Bogey hits 280-300 with a solid OBP and crushes 25HR with 80+ RBI and plays good D at SS, Ill be thrilled. I believe he can, and will. He doesnt have to be a prodigy with the glove, just make the plays he should. Hes already shown a few flashes of brilliance defensively in MLB and AAA this year. More scouts see him sticking at SS. There was some talk about possibly growing out of the position, but thats certainly far from reality right now. I just dont see how people can think this was a bad move. I agree Iggy is a stud and a half defensively and should have a good enough stick to start at SS in MLB somewhere. To pick him over Xander, who will be the better all around SS, is crazy IMHO. Drew is the better SS over Iggy right now. Both Drew and Xander are more balanced SS's. I love good D as much as the next guy, but Im not giving up the offensive potential of Xander or Drew over Iggy. No way. His defense isnt so much better that it negates their superior offensive production. Im not moving everybody's regular position either, just to fit in a light hitting great defensive SS.

Its already a good trade for the Sox because they made the postseason with Peavys help. Still a ways to go, but when you fill an obvious need without disrupting the team or the future, you have done a good job. Sorry guys, with Drew already here and Xander and Marerro in line, they didnt disrupt the future ONE BIT no matter how much you want to convince yourselves they did. You may not agree with the trade and I can respect that, but lets not make it look like the Sox are going to be suffering for years because the dont have Iggy anymore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Peavy was big already in helping the Sox get to the PS. He could close things out tonight in Tampa. The trade was the right move for what the Sox needed to go deep into the PS. They NEEDED a good starter, not rely on young tired arms who were almost at their innings limit. So yes, we can tell right now if the trade was good. It was a move they needed to make.

If Bogey hits 280-300 with a solid OBP and crushes 25HR with 80+ RBI and plays good D at SS, Ill be thrilled. I believe he can, and will. He doesnt have to be a prodigy with the glove, just make the plays he should. Hes already shown a few flashes of brilliance defensively in MLB and AAA this year. More scouts see him sticking at SS. There was some talk about possibly growing out of the position, but thats certainly far from reality right now. I just dont see how people can think this was a bad move. I agree Iggy is a stud and a half defensively and should have a good enough stick to start at SS in MLB somewhere. To pick him over Xander, who will be the better all around SS, is crazy IMHO. Drew is the better SS over Iggy right now. Both Drew and Xander are more balanced SS's. I love good D as much as the next guy, but Im not giving up the offensive potential of Xander or Drew over Iggy. No way. His defense isnt so much better that it negates their superior offensive production. Im not moving everybody's regular position either, just to fit in a light hitting great defensive SS.

Its already a good trade for the Sox because they made the postseason with Peavys help. Still a ways to go, but when you fill an obvious need without disrupting the team or the future, you have done a good job. Sorry guys, with Drew already here and Xander and Marerro in line, they didnt disrupt the future ONE BIT no matter how much you want to convince yourselves they did. You may not agree with the trade and I can respect that, but lets not make it look like the Sox are going to be suffering for years because the dont have Iggy anymore.

It is NOT "already a good trade for the Sox" even though they made the PS "with Peavy's help".  It's not my style to run a player down, but at the same time lets' be realistic about what he did to help.  Peavy was 4-1 in 10 starts with an ERA of just over 4.00.  That includes FIVE no-decisions.  And two of those wins were over CWS and Colorado!  It's not exactly the second coming of Bob Gibson.

Speculation that Bogarts is a ML ready SS and that Marerro is going to be one is exactly that - speculation, and I've had my heart broken too many times by speculation.  I'll go with the proven commodity and Iggy has proven that he can play SS at the ML level. 

To say that the trade isn't going to disrupt the future "ONE BIT" isn't realistic.  We're already talking about signing Drew for more money than Iggy would have gotten, which leaves less money to sign other FA's. It's going to matter. 

I respect your opinion and your right to it and we most definitely disagree.  Our disagreement is entirely on the impact this trade will have on the future of the team and as I said earlier it will be years before an intelligent decision can be made.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Wouldn't surprise me if Peralta starts SS, with Dirks in Left.

Sections
Shortcuts