Iglesias to Start for Game 6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Iglesias to Start for Game 6

i think the decision to trade Iggy had more to do with Bogaerts and less to do with Buch. The return of the trade was because of Buch. If he were healthy the possibility of Iggy being traded still would have been strong.. it just would have been for someone other than Peavy... just my take on it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A revolving door at SS is a PIA, but as long as you plug a capable player in there its not really an issue. (see O-Cab, Lugo, Drew)

Nobody knows what Iggy will turn into offensively. Only opinions. Since he went to Detroit his numbers have been going down. August 650OPS and September he had a 550OPS. I dont think anyone thinks hes a 300 hitter. The question is, is he a 220 or a 260 hitter. Only time will tell. He has great hand eye coordination and when they did the slo-mo of his hit, his eyes were right on the ball at the point of contact. Thats a good sign. Unless he learns to drive the ball in the air a little more, Id be willing to bet the BA will be very low. Hes still young though and should improve some offensively.

Ive seen Xander play SS a lot over the last couple years at AA and AAA. Hes going to be more then capable defensively at SS. He looks uncomfortable and not very confident at 3b. Its amazing how some here just think you can take a guy who has never (or very little) played a position and be successful. Bogaerts should remain at SS and the Sox FO along with their scouting and development team agree. People who dont like the Iggy trade dont care about that stuff it seems. They just want Iggy and think they can move players like a LL team and still have the same amount of success. Middy has NEVER played 1b for crying out loud. Sorry guys, its not as easy as you think at the MLB level to just switch positions. Xander is a solid SS and has more value there.

Ill miss Iggys defensive wizardry, but a good talent was needed to get us a pitcher for a PO run. Peavy was 4-1 and was great vs the Rays. One bad game and everyone here forgets how good he was up til that point. Hitters had a 664OPS against him, a 1.1WHIP and gave them 6.2IP a game. He was a big part helping them get into the PO. But like Ive said all along, this is more about Xander than Peavy. No matter what you armchair GM's think(myself included), the Sox have good reason to believe Bogey will remain at SS. They are around him 24/7, not us.

I wish Iggy all the luck and hope he has a successful MLB career. Ill take Xander over Iggy everyday at SS because he, IMHO, is the better all around SS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

I would love to see him go 0-3 with 3 K's and a ball between his legs tonight.   I say 0-3 because less at bats for all Tiger hitters would be the most ideal.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I wish Iggy all the luck and hope he has a successful MLB career. Ill take Xander over Iggy everyday at SS because he, IMHO, is the better all around SS.

Time will prove you wrong, on all fronts. Present time proves you right on Bogaerts over the embarrassing S. Drew, yet management still wants Drew to do something to get draft compensation for Drew, enough to where they are putting Bogaerts at 3B and claiming that's the obvious spot to put him in because Drew's playing better defense at his position than MIddlebrooks is at his position. All lies! 

Middelbrooks is fielding his position better than Drew, and hitting better, which requires above zero. 

Bogaerts should be at SS, Middlebrooks 3B, S. Drew and his 2012 and 2013 playoffs zero to the bench. Only a cheerleader, management itself, or a fool would would defend the decision to sign Drew, trade Iglesias, and pivot roster moves and playing time around this soon to be gone prima donna.

Its amazing what you say when you just dont like a player.

Time will prove me wrong? On what? My opinion is, and will remain that I will take Xander over Iggy any day. Drew was better defensively this year at SS than Middy was at 3b. He made 10 errors in only 92 games this year and has a lifetime 952 Fld%. Drew only 8 Errors in 124 games and a 979 Fld%. Drew was better defensively than Middy this year. It was obvious.

They play Drew because the professionals, and some of us that know what good defense is, know that he is the best option the Sox have at SS right now. Although Bogey's defense isnt that great at 3b, its on par with Middy and his bat needs to be in the lineup. Just like napoli, Drew can turn things around in one AB and become a nightmare for pitchers. Thats what streaky hitters do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Time will prove me wrong? On what? My opinion is, and will remain that I will take Xander over Iggy any day. 

You and 6,999,999,998 other people would take Bogaerts over Iglesias.  And I like Iggy, and didn't like the trade, though I certainly understood it.  But facts are facts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

First you can blame the Peavy trade on Bucholz. If Buch had been healthy, they woudln't have traded iggy. But it's true that the Sox place a higher value on offensive production at shortstop. 

As for this: "What is quite clear is the way nearly all overlook how talented his eyes and hands coordination is."

Sure. But - he was still the pop fly to end the game and I could see that happening again tonight. 

Absent from your post is any sense of excitement that the Sox are one game away from the World Series. Grinding your axe about Iggy is more important to you. 

Buchholz's injury might have been a blessing. You have to look at the big picture, not just how Iggy and Peavy have done.

First, in the short term, the Sox were stronger after the trade offensively. In August and September after the trade, Middlebrooks was a stronger option at 3B offensively than Iggy, and Drew was stronger at SS.

I don't have the number handy, but both Middlebrooks and Drew hit significantly better than Iggy. Even if the trade wasn't made, Iggy should have been nothing more than a UT the final two months. So in the short term, the Sox traded a UT player for a quality starting pitcher.

Then look at the domino affect having Peavy. I liked Workman but there's not guarantee he would have continued to pitch strong. Having Peavy, gave the Sox a veteran pitcher and in eight of his 10 starts he pitched good to great. He had two bad starts.

And Peavy averaged just about 6.5 innings per start, which is decent in today's game. So he usually didn't strain the bullpen. Workman was up and down in the pen, but it did give the Sox another warm body to use.

And when Buchholz came back, Peavy was there to allow the Sox to skip Dempster once then Doubront once after they both hit a wall. Remember, the BIG problem in 2011 was no starting pitching after Beckett and Lester once Buchholz got hurt.

Had the trade not been made and Workman started to get hit, the bullpen would have been taxed and that would have been compounded by having no one you could trust to skip Dempster and Doubront. Don't underestimate the value of the depth a veteran like Peavy gave the Sox.

In the short term, this trade was a no-brainer. As for long term, we'll see what Iggy becomes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Time will prove you wrong, on all fronts. Present time proves you right on Bogaerts over the embarrassing S. Drew, yet management still wants Drew to do something to get draft compensation for Drew, enough to where they are putting Bogaerts at 3B and claiming that's the obvious spot to put him in because Drew's playing better defense at his position than MIddlebrooks is at his position. All lies! 

Middelbrooks is fielding his position better than Drew, and hitting better, which requires above zero. 

Bogaerts should be at SS, Middlebrooks 3B, S. Drew and his 2012 and 2013 playoffs zero to the bench. Only a cheerleader, management itself, or a fool would would defend the decision to sign Drew, trade Iglesias, and pivot roster moves and playing time around this soon to be gone prima donna.

Come on, we are all trying to be more civil here.  Using words like 'fool' only causes problems.  Posters here are trying to have a good back and forth with you.  

Southpaw made some good points, you don't agree so make some good counter points without the name calling.

We can disagree, stay civil and have great debates.  Give it a try, it's fun!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

First you can blame the Peavy trade on Bucholz. If Buch had been healthy, they woudln't have traded iggy. But it's true that the Sox place a higher value on offensive production at shortstop. 

As for this: "What is quite clear is the way nearly all overlook how talented his eyes and hands coordination is."

Sure. But - he was still the pop fly to end the game and I could see that happening again tonight. 

Absent from your post is any sense of excitement that the Sox are one game away from the World Series. Grinding your axe about Iggy is more important to you. 

Buchholz's injury might have been a blessing. You have to look at the big picture, not just how Iggy and Peavy have done.

First, in the short term, the Sox were stronger after the trade offensively. In August and September after the trade, Middlebrooks was a stronger option at 3B offensively than Iggy, and Drew was stronger at SS.

I don't have the number handy, but both Middlebrooks and Drew hit significantly better than Iggy. Even if the trade wasn't made, Iggy should have been nothing more than a UT the final two months. So in the short term, the Sox traded a UT player for a quality starting pitcher.

Then look at the domino affect having Peavy. I liked Workman but there's not guarantee he would have continued to pitch strong. Having Peavy, gave the Sox a veteran pitcher and in eight of his 10 starts he pitched good to great. He had two bad starts.

And Peavy averaged just about 6.5 innings per start, which is decent in today's game. So he usually didn't strain the bullpen. Workman was up and down in the pen, but it did give the Sox another warm body to use.

And when Buchholz came back, Peavy was there to allow the Sox to skip Dempster once then Doubront once after they both hit a wall. Remember, the BIG problem in 2011 was no starting pitching after Beckett and Lester once Buchholz got hurt.

Had the trade not been made and Workman started to get hit, the bullpen would have been taxed and that would have been compounded by having no one you could trust to skip Dempster and Doubront. Don't underestimate the value of the depth a veteran like Peavy gave the Sox.

In the short term, this trade was a no-brainer. As for long term, we'll see what Iggy becomes.

This one line is getting misunderstood by a lot of people. Iggy may not be a UI on every team, but in Boston thats what he was going to be with Middy and Bogey. And no, they arent going to take 2 young players and start playing musical positions with them, putting them in positions they are not nearly as good at making them uncomfortable. Doing things like that at the MLB level can affect a young player on the offensive side as well. Middy already has had his offensive issues, throwing him at 1b is not going to help him. Same with Bogey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Time will prove me wrong? On what? My opinion is, and will remain that I will take Xander over Iggy any day. 

You and 6,999,999,998 other people would take Bogaerts over Iglesias.  And I like Iggy, and didn't like the trade, though I certainly understood it.  But facts are facts.

I think both players have their merits.  I didn't want to see iggy go but I like watching xander, he is a talented kid.

For the sake of this years team the trade had to happen. People are tired of hearing about bridge teams.  The sox did what they had to do to make a run at the playoffs.  It worked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Come on, we are all trying to be more civil here.  Using words like 'fool' only causes problems.  Posters here are trying to have a good back and forth with you.  

Southpaw made some good points, you don't agree so make some good counter points without the name calling.

Thank you 67. Thats all I ask from other posters. I try to show respect to everyone and think it should be returned. They dont have to agree with me, but certainly should not resort to childish name calling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Drew had a .861 OPS after the trade.  WMB had a .805 OPS after the trade.  Iggy had a .654 OPS.  Peavy was 4-1.  He pitched well, but not great.

I understand the reasoning and all, but I think I'd have preferred to see Drew at SS and Iggy at 3rd, followed next year by Iggy at SS and Bogaerts at 3rd, though I seriously doubt Detroit would've done it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Thank you 67. Thats all I ask from other posters. I try to show respect to everyone and think it should be returned. They dont have to agree with me, but certainly should not resort to childish name calling.

My pleasure!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Drew had a .861 OPS after the trade.  WMB had a .805 OPS after the trade.  Iggy had a .654 OPS.  Peavy was 4-1.  He pitched well, but not great.

I understand the reasoning and all, but I think I'd have preferred to see Drew at SS and Iggy at 3rd, followed next year by Iggy at SS and Bogaerts at 3rd, though I seriously doubt Detroit would've done it.

I always wanted Middlebrooks at 3B. He's a RH power bat, and that's hard to find nowadays. Hopefully, last year and the last two months of this season is what he is and not the first half of this year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Its amazing what you say when you just dont like a player.

Time will prove me wrong? On what? My opinion is, and will remain that I will take Xander over Iggy any day. Drew was better defensively this year at SS than Middy was at 3b. He made 10 errors in only 92 games this year and has a lifetime 952 Fld%. Drew only 8 Errors in 124 games and a 979 Fld%. Drew was better defensively than Middy this year. It was obvious.

They play Drew because the professionals, and some of us that know what good defense is, know that he is the best option the Sox have at SS right now. Although Bogey's defense isnt that great at 3b, its on par with Middy and his bat needs to be in the lineup. Just like napoli, Drew can turn things around in one AB and become a nightmare for pitchers. Thats what streaky hitters do.

aren't you the guy who lives and dies with stats?  That one homer boggie has with the sox really matches up with Middy's numbers. Boggie does not get to balls when playing third like Middy does. 

No, I dont live and die with stats. wrong person. I dont think either Middy or Bogey are that great defensively at 3b, but Id rather have Xanders bat right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Bump

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tonight Drew makes the defensive play of the game and Iggy makes the misplay of the game.

Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Tonight Drew makes the defensive play of the game and Iggy makes the misplay of the game.

Laughing

But...how is that possible? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Laughing

But...how is that possible? 

It's not, actually.  The Fireman will be here to explain it all away tomorrow. Laughing 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fireman already explained that Iggy's error in Game 2 was only because Leyland brought him into the game in 'damp, cool' conditions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Gets his 4th Start in 6 ALCS Games

Those of you spinning the trade as "Iglesias is a bench guy" don't know anything about baseball. This guys isn't going to be any "bench guy". The most talented defensive position player in MLB in a long time. Also handles the bat plenty well enough for a starting SS. 

What is quite clear is the way nearly all overlook how talented his eyes and hands coordination is. He will be a good hitting SS by virtue of that, as he continues to gain experience. Red Sox made a huge mistake trading this career away. Would have been sit for many years with him at SS, with Bogaerts to 3B or LF. 

No, Peavy wasn't worth it.

Iggy "gets his 4th. start in 6 ALCS games"

And RS Nation couldn't be more pleased that he did.

That you Iggy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Drew's been the 0-4 2012 and 2013 playoffs guy. As for the 2 errors, only chance of that at SS is if it's Drew and 2 errors in 1 game. 

Drew saved the game for Boston with a highlite gem while Iggy served the game to us on a platter.

Sections
Shortcuts