Iglesias--what is Jim Leyland thinking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Iglesias--what is Jim Leyland thinking?

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Because IGGY is worth 1.5 runs with his glove for his pitchers.....   Also, all year long "adds a spark" to the club......   Forget the B A, the kid is a WINAAAAA   !!!

Really? do did Detroits team ERA go down 1.5 runs a game after he joined Detroit?

Because if it didn't you are wrong.

I think that it is the "SPARK" and excitement that he brigs that puts his pitchers in "a better place" ..... The actual ERA (I certainly have no idea) As Hillary would say ..... "What difference does it make"  !!!

It makes a difference because you just said Iggy's D is worth 1.5 runs a game. Which it isn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Because IGGY is worth 1.5 runs with his glove for his pitchers.....   Also, all year long "adds a spark" to the club......   Forget the B A, the kid is a WINAAAAA   !!!

Really? do did Detroits team ERA go down 1.5 runs a game after he joined Detroit?

I think that it is the "SPARK" and excitement that he brigs that puts his pitchers in "a better place" ..... The actual ERA (I certainly have no idea) As Hillary would say ..... "What difference does it make"  !!!

It makes a difference because you just said Iggy's D is worth 1.5 runs a game. Which it isn't.

Now, don't go picking on Bill!

His opinions are just as valid as anyone else's.

Even if they are supported by imaginary "facts".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I don't want to muddy the conversation with actual facts, but the Tigers team ERA April-July Pre Igelsias was 3.66 (389 earned runs in 457.2 innings). Post Igelsias it was 3.53 (198 earned runs in 505 innings)

A small improvement but no where near your wild claim of 1.5 runs per game.

As my dad would say "Be able to back up what you say if you want people to take you seriously"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I do not think Leyland care if there is a guy or two is struggling at the plate.  Look at Drew or Napoli, even thought both of them hit the ball hard, and still these hits were outs. 

But Farrell isnt pulling them off of the line up.  So therefore Leyland is going to keep Iggy in the line up as long he can.  Of course if he need a guy to make a hit in the late innings, he will pinch hit Iggy just like we all saw Carp or Bogaerts pinched hit in the last series.

But in someway, I was glad to have Peavy.  He helped the team to clinch the divisional round.  I do not think Demspter or Doubront could do their job.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

Peavy did an acceptable job. Iggy  is not hitting right now. Myers fortunately for the Sox hasn't hit in the playoffs. Maddon didn't bench him. If I'm Leyland I keep Iggy as the #9 batter and hope he can bunt someone into scoring position or make a great play to close out an inning. With Drew in the Rays series, he had a couple of hits but he was in there truthfully for his defense.

Myers hit well all year, not so Iggy.  Peraltas WAR as SS is like 3d best among AL shortstops.  Iglesias is probably the best SS long term, but right now is not.  

Myers had his slumps too, bur regardless of that, Myers is there for his hitting not his defense, so if you wouldn't bench him for poor offensive performance why would you bench the guy who  isn't even there for his bat for poor offensive performance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

So, yes, Peralta's in the lineup, so no problem, right?  Not quite.  See, Peralta replaced leftfielder Kelly, and his OPS in the ALDS is 1.333.  Now I don't think it takes a genius to see that Leyland is giving up a lot of hitting to keep Iglesias at SS.

like I said the otherday

this is more about

iggy over kelly

who hit 222 avg 309 OBP for THE YEAR

229/ 290 life time

No, this is more about a compulsive need to criticize the RS FO by some of the posters.  I like Iggy more than most.  I thought we'd have MB, Pedey, Iggy, and Bogie across the IF for a while.

And I thought we got slightly the worse end of the deal.

Having said that, the need for the trade was perfectly obvious.  And we had Drew for this year, and Bogie next year, and Marrero in reserve.

The need for some of the posters to be hyper-critical is bizzarre.

But I am still not judging the trade on how Peavy did last night.

What part of this thread is about criticizing the front office for the trade?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Why do posters keep trying ot justify this trade, especially whe those who were against it stopped talking about it a month ago?

why do you keep responding?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think it made sense with Fister Pitching other day, with Verlander he might change line-up. Bring Iggy in for late game Defense. Also could Pinch-hit for him during game too. Having Peralta in Left gives them a lot of flexibility.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Have you watched his flawless fielding? He saves runs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Leyland is thinking "I have a heavy hitting 3bman that can barely walk and cant cover much ground on the left side." Its not a very tough decision considering his circumstances. It has to be considered though, now that were at game 5. Do or Die time. With only 9 FC to SS throughout this series, is it worth giving up some defense for considerably better hitters who have been hot as of late?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why do posters keep trying ot justify this trade, especially when those who were against it stopped talking about it a month ago?

There were plenty of people on both sides continuing this conversation since it happened.

Truth is, the trade worked for all 3 teams. Boston got the starter it needed to get to the post season and get through round 1.

Detroit got someone that could play solid defense at a primary position.

CWS got a top OF prospect that showed he can compete at this level, ableit in a SSS this year.

We still have a solid all around veteran SS for this year, as well as a top SS prospect in all baseball ready to take over in 2014 and another slick fielding SS at AA. The future hasnt been compromised one bit, all while making the team better right now. How is this NOT a win for us and the other teams?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Why do posters keep trying ot justify this trade, especially when those who were against it stopped talking about it a month ago?

There were plenty of people on both sides continuing this conversation since it happened.

Truth is, the trade worked for all 3 teams. Boston got the starter it needed to get to the post season and get through round 1.

Detroit got someone that could play solid defense at a primary position.

CWS got a top OF prospect that showed he can compete at this level, ableit in a SSS this year.

We still have a solid all around veteran SS for this year, as well as a top SS prospect in all baseball ready to take over in 2014 and another slick fielding SS at AA. The future hasnt been compromised one bit, all while making the team better right now. How is this NOT a win for us and the other teams?

This is a win for all teams this year, but the future could very well be another story.  We have three prospects (Bogarts, Marrerro and Chiccini) who are exactly that, prospects, and we're hoping and praying that they'll pan out.  The trade gave up a player who's now proving he's good enough to play SS in the PS.  Was that a smart thing to do for the future?

The ONLY way this trade has not compromised the future one bit is IF one of those guys turns out to be as good as Iggy.  Otherwise we'll have to pay someone more to play SS than we'd have paid Iggy - leaving fewer $$ for someone else - or we're going to have someone who's not as good as Iggy at SS.  That's the future.  Which has been my problem with the trade all along.

And IF (that's capital letters IF) paying Drew to play SS next year is what keeps us from signing Ellsbury - a very real possibility, btw - this well have a TREMENDOUS impact on the team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sp is right, Leyland thinking about his hobbled 3rd baseman and compensating with the great fielding Iglesias as short.  Most personnel moves are a trade-off.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts