Iglesias--what is Jim Leyland thinking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Iglesias--what is Jim Leyland thinking?

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I admitted I was wrong about Drew. I'm not sure how many times I have to say it.

That wasn't really directed at you.  It just seemed to me that the posters that wanted Iggy, were going nuts on the number of hits he was going to save.  If anyone could save even close to 100 hits, then he could have a .500 OPS and be a star.

I did n't hear many other posters using the hits saved argument I brought up this past spring, but tehre were a lot of posters talking range disparity between Drew and Iggy. There was some of the same talk last spring between Aviles and Iggy, as I was on Iggy's bandwagon back then as well.

Both seasons I was surprised by our SS defense- first Aviles and now Drew, but the 2013 Drew is better than the 2012 Aviles.

Did these numbers surprise you?

Florimon 2000 innings/646 plays

A Cabrera 2000 innings/484 plays

Same innings, but 162 more plays by Florimon. I know, different team, different staff, etc... but still: that's a massive differential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Iglesias--what is Jim Leyland thinking?

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I tried to find 2 SSs with about equal time from the same team. Most had pretty similar plays per inning at SS, but I di find this from the Yanks:

J. Nix 380 inn/191 plays

Nunez 608 inn/244 plays

If you go 4 times Nix's numbers:

J. Nix  1520 inn/764 plays

2.5 times Nunez:

Nunez  1520 inn/710 plays

That comes to one play every 3 or so games. (54 per 162)

Like I said, this is not very scientific, but one play every 5 games is not absurd.

The NYY had similar pitchung staff the past two years, and had 42 more chances this year over last year.

I know I have been extremely harsh on Jeter's range at SS, but Nunez is pretty bad as well. As you can see, Nix made about 50 more than Nunez in projected full season numbers- same staff- same park... He might have made 70-80 more than Jeter. It's hard to tell and near impossible to prove, but I will maintain that the very best ranged SSs in MLB will make at least 54 more plays than an average MLB SS over 162 games (1 every 3 games on average.)

I admit I was wrong about my suggestion that Iggy probably would make 80-100 more plays than Drew over 150 games (the claim I made last spring based on my assumption that Drew was slightly below average in SS range). I'd still guess he might have made 25-40 more over a full season.

3. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts