Iglesias? Who needs him?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Iglesias? Who needs him?

Notin had a post removed? Has the world gone mad?

FTR I like the fact that Drew has experience. It shows in the field and at the plate. And he is a clutch hitter -- a very special quality in a player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew was signed short term because we had iggy/bogie in the wings - forget his salary because they are all overpaid...Iggy was traded because NO ONE thought we would be in the midst of a pennant race with a real shot to win the whole thing and we needed Peavy who is simply the mound equivalent of Beltre...

Blaming Clay for malingering might be the best way to blame anyone for trading Iggy who is, and will be for many years, a joy to watch play. Having said that I don't care too much about what a player does when he goes to another team - as long as we got something in return. It wasn't that Reddick was so great, it was that we got zilch in return - same thing for marco. As much as I loved Masterson and wanted him around, we got VMart and that was excellent imo. Same for Manny/Bay. 

I doubt that we resign Drew but I wouldnt mind a 2 yr deal for 15 mil - impossible with Bora$ as his agent but I like his clutch hits and solid D - like Marco I can see him playing anywhere in the infield and contributing. 

As always - 100% correct!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Notin had a post removed? Has the world gone mad?

FTR I like the fact that Drew has experience. It shows in the field and at the plate. And he is a clutch hitter -- a very special quality in a player.

I once had all my posts removed, way back when.  They let me keep the name, though, so it might have been a board glitch.

I am surprised, since the OP was about a really nice play made by the ball girl. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]

The thing about Drew is, he is a very good Clutch hitter. I'll take the 1-4 if it knocks in 2 runs anytime over a 2-4 hitter that does nothing.

.313 AVG, with 2 Outs RISP.

yep and Drew will be gone in 2 years and Iggy will improve on his offense and play another 15 years. Meanwhile Bogey will eventually end up at 3B, LF, RF, or 1B... but hey that Drew really is special.

[/QUOTE]

Why does everyone here say Bogey will def be moved off SS...he doesnt, and hasnt looked nearly as good at 3b and has never played any other position. Hes made a couple really nice plays at SS since being called up. Why couldnt he stick at SS for the next 15 years? Apparently most scouts right now see him staying at SS.

I love Iggys defense, but we needed a proven frontline pitcher.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

"The next 10 to 15 years" as the hinge, is hyperbole the way you undercut your own shallow opinion on the value of Drew and Peavy vs. the value of Iglesias. Let's revisit in about 5 years, not 10 to 15.

That sounds good. Talk to you about this in 2018.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The thing about Drew is, he is a very good Clutch hitter. I'll take the 1-4 if it knocks in 2 runs anytime over a 2-4 hitter that does nothing.

/QUOTE]

yep and Drew will be gone in 2 years and Iggy will improve on his offense and play another 15 years. Meanwhile Bogey will eventually end up at 3B, LF, RF, or 1B... but hey that Drew really is special.

Iggy isn't that big of a deal.

at all. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually 37 I think he is a big deal, probably the best or one of the best defensive shortstops and infielders in MLB, but as we know we needed a pitcher and unfortunately someone had to go and it was Iggy knowing Boggy was in the wings to be our SS of the future.

I might get lambasted here but Drew might be our SS of the future, only of course if he can stay healthy, but being only 30 he certainly has a number of years ahead of him. In Milwaukee we were lucky to see a half dozen Sox games on national TV and Drew certainly looks like he's a damn good defensive player. He might not be Iggy, but Iggy is gone so some folks need to stop whining and get over it. I wouldn't mind seeing Drew in a Sox uniform for a number of years.  

With free agency we know no player is quaranteed to play thier entire career in one city so why or how a number of poster think he was our future SS for the next 10-15 is just being extremely naive. At one time we probably thought that Nomar would play out his career here and that certainly didn't happen. 

For all we know, and of course I hope it doesn't happen but Iggy could sustain a series of injuries like Drew did and next thing we know he'll earn the reputation of being injury prone. 

Cheers, 

Hetch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

Iggy isn't that big of a deal.

at all. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually 37 I think he is a big deal, probably the best or one of the best defensive shortstops and infielders in MLB, but as we know we needed a pitcher and unfortunately someone had to go and it was Iggy knowing Boggy was in the wings to be our SS of the future.

I might get lambasted here but Drew might be our SS of the future, only of course if he can stay healthy, but being only 30 he certainly has a number of years ahead of him. In Milwaukee we were lucky to see a half dozen Sox games on national TV and Drew certainly looks like he's a damn good defensive player. He might not be Iggy, but Iggy is gone so some folks need to stop whining and get over it. I wouldn't mind seeing Drew in a Sox uniform for a number of years.  

With free agency we know no player is quaranteed to play thier entire career in one city so why or how a number of poster think he was our future SS for the next 10-15 is just being extremely naive. At one time we probably thought that Nomar would play out his career here and that certainly didn't happen. 

For all we know, and of course I hope it doesn't happen but Iggy could sustain a series of injuries like Drew did and next thing we know he'll earn the reputation of being injury prone. 

Cheers, 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Time will tell. Personally I think Iggy will be an average ML ss. I think he will be an excellent defender and that his career OPS will be around 660.

I just don't care enough about him to get all worked up that he is gone. There are only a few guys in baseball that aren't replaceable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Why do all pro-Iglesias arguments seem to hinge on him being the shortstop for the next 10 to 15 years?  How many players spend 10 to 15 years with the same team?

Regardless of whatever defensive metric you choose, the best defensive SS of the past 10 years was Adam Everett.  Why has there NEVER been any outcry over his trade?  Is it all the Carl Everett love?  Did the Sox survivethe deal?  Did Adam continue to develop as a hitter and spend 10 to 15 years anchoring the Houston infield?

I never understood the 10-15 year thing either.  BB, for the most part, is built on value.  You only get 6 years of value, and even Y6 arb awards are iffy in terms of value.  It's not like we can't him back in another 5 years, and then have him for 5 to 10 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

QUOTE]

Why does everyone here say Bogey will def be moved off SS...he doesnt, and hasnt looked nearly as good at 3b and has never played any other position. Hes made a couple really nice plays at SS since being called up. Why couldnt he stick at SS for the next 15 years? Apparently most scouts right now see him staying at SS.

I love Iggys defense, but we needed a proven frontline pitcher.

[/QUOTE]

South, 

If Boggy can learn to field the 3B position, why not Drew at 3 years with a new contract, boggy and 3rd of first with Middlebrooks at either third or first. Any thoughts !! The Sox right now are in a very enviable position with player like Nava, Carp, Gomes, etc that can play numerous positions. It gives Farrel flexibilty with his lineup other clubs would love to have.

Hetch 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Drew was signed short term because we had iggy/bogie in the wings - forget his salary because they are all overpaid...Iggy was traded because NO ONE thought we would be in the midst of a pennant race with a real shot to win the whole thing and we needed Peavy who is simply the mound equivalent of Beltre...

Blaming Clay for malingering might be the best way to blame anyone for trading Iggy who is, and will be for many years, a joy to watch play. Having said that I don't care too much about what a player does when he goes to another team - as long as we got something in return. It wasn't that Reddick was so great, it was that we got zilch in return - same thing for marco. As much as I loved Masterson and wanted him around, we got VMart and that was excellent imo. Same for Manny/Bay. 

I doubt that we resign Drew but I wouldnt mind a 2 yr deal for 15 mil - impossible with Bora$ as his agent but I like his clutch hits and solid D - like Marco I can see him playing anywhere in the infield and contributing. 

As always - 100% correct!

Yup, it's a bit like Beltre.  We get an outstanding season, for relatively cheap money, the best record in BB, and as a little going away present, might well net us a draft pick.  Very few FAs work out this well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I always liked Iglesias, but at the end of the day, I'd bet real money that Drew will have a higher WAR next year than Iglesias.

Now, if someone were to take that bet, then the conversation would be about who is better.  But I doubt anyone will.

After no one takes the bet, then the conversation changes to 'Drew is better, just not $9M better'.  And I am fine with that.  Iggy is a better value bet, imo, but I also like having the best record in BB.  And like I've said before, none of the three teams involved have any reason to regret the trade.  It was a well-done 3-way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDSOXMAN. Show MDSOXMAN's posts

It took me a long time to warm up to Drew.I was one who wanted to see Iglesias given the chance, but now I'm glad they stuck with Drew.  Peavy, although not great lately, has helped.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDSOXMAN. Show MDSOXMAN's posts

"The next 10 to 15 years" as the hinge, is hyperbole the way you undercut your own shallow opinion on the value of Drew and Peavy vs. the value of Iglesias. Let's revisit in about 5 years, not 10 to 15.

Yes, I agree in 5 years we may think differently, but this was about winning now, and Peavy did help.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to MDSOXMAN's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yes, I agree in 5 years we may think differently, but this was about winning now, and Peavy did help.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly right.  This trade was all about winning NOW, with absolutely no eye to the future. 

If the Sox get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs was this still a good trade?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I always liked Iglesias, but at the end of the day, I'd bet real money that Drew will have a higher WAR next year than Iglesias.

Now, if someone were to take that bet, then the conversation would be about who is better.  But I doubt anyone will.

After no one takes the bet, then the conversation changes to 'Drew is better, just not $9M better'.  And I am fine with that.  Iggy is a better value bet, imo, but I also like having the best record in BB.  And like I've said before, none of the three teams involved have any reason to regret the trade.  It was a well-done 3-way.

Not taking that bet. I was one of the guys who liked the signing this winter, and was ridiculed declining bat/ no range/ etc... SS with pop in his bat and has played a terrific defensively. Big spot in post season who do you want up Drew or Iggy? No brainer. Hope RS resign. Really becomes who do you want more Drew or Napoli next yr. Middlebrooks to 1b for Naps or Xander and Middlebrooks as left side of infield. Would it really surprise anyone if Igyy hit .230 next year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Why do all pro-Iglesias arguments seem to hinge on him being the shortstop for the next 10 to 15 years?  How many players spend 10 to 15 years with the same team?

Regardless of whatever defensive metric you choose, the best defensive SS of the past 10 years was Adam Everett.  Why has there NEVER been any outcry over his trade?  Is it all the Carl Everett love?  Did the Sox survivethe deal?  Did Adam continue to develop as a hitter and spend 10 to 15 years anchoring the Houston infield?

Proly your best post ever. So much logic, you might sink the entire board.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Proly your best post ever. So much logic, you might sink the entire board.

This is exactly what I am saying. Everyone is acting like losing Iggy will cripple the Red Sox for years when they traded a guy with a very similar skill set to Iggy in Everett and no one even remembers who he is.

Three years from now no one will care about Iggy not being on the Red Sox.

Remember how mad people were last year about trading Josh Reddick? Now look, it turns out that Reddick means nothing and was replaced very easily.

Same deal here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Exactly right.  This trade was all about winning NOW, with absolutely no eye to the future. 

If the Sox get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs was this still a good trade?

This is actually a pretty weak argument.  We could have held onto Iggy for the next 10 years and not won the World Series in any of those 10 years.  Iggy is not a player who is going to carry you to a title on his back.

The odds are always heavily against you winning the World Series in any particular year.

You should be happy that your team has made moves to try to win the World Series this year, and has also positioned itself well for the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to MDSOXMAN's comment:

Exactly right.  This trade was all about winning NOW, with absolutely no eye to the future

This isn't necessarily true.

The Red Sox -- right or wrong -- made a determination that Iggy wasn't part of the future and thus was expendable. And if Bogaerts is indeed the SS next year, that will make this point even more emphatic.

Sections
Shortcuts