Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Iglesias

In Response to Re: Iglesias:
    I think the Sox also looked at VMart as a possible replacement for Papi as he transitioned from almost a fulltime catcher to 1B/DH. They had the chance to choose VMart over Papi for about the same cost. VMart could have caught in NL parks, whereas Papi creates a dilema. VMart would have allowed for our manager to PH for the cathcer more often, since VMart would be the 3rd string catcher. VMart is younger than Papi. The Papi turnaround (and decision to offer him arb) also changed everything this year as well.
    Posted by moonslav59

you speak the truth kemosabe....many of us wanted vmart kept and papi moved to increase NL game options and infield flexibility...we were right then....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i love the idea of a slick fielding ss...but unless i missed something obvious, I didnt see a whole lot in his MLB stint last year to warrant this change right now...needs more seasoning...especially at the plate

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The 8th slot hitter will always see worse pitches with Iglesias in the 9-hole than he would with Scutaro.  When the 8th slot hitter is hot (and Salty seems to be a streaky hitter) he would be walked more often than not in key moments.  When he's cold, or when the matchup against the 8th slot hitter favors the pitcher, the effect carries on to the 7th slot hitter.  On rare occasions, like a man on 2nd or 3rd with 2 outs and the game on the line, I think you would see both the 7th and 8th hitter walked to get to Iglesias.

That would be great! Load 'em up!

Yes, we can always pinch-hit for Iglesias in key moments, but Scutaro presumably will be gone, so who do you think is the most likely pinch-hitter?  Nick Punto of the .652 career OPS, unless you want to burn two players in a single substitution.

Even if we don't add any bench strength, how about ...
    Mike Aviles: .924 vs LHPs (.814 career)
    Darnell Mac: .804 vs LHPs (.799 career)
    Nick Punto: .814 vs RHPs/.798 vs LHPs (career .714 vs RHPs)

Is this really much worse than...
    Marco Scutaro
    vs RHPs: .784 (.722 career)
    vs LHPs: .775 (.742)

As for your height comment, the only thing I'll say is that defensive stats are imperfect, but objective. Scouts are human, and therefore far less perfect, and not always objective.  If you put all of your faith in the naked eye of the scout, though, you should be aware that Iglesias has dropped over 200 positions in the latest ScoutingBook assessments.  So overall, I think the scouts are suggesting he needs more time in the minors.

Maybe because they have fallen prey to the all SSs must have a .700 OPS to be of value school of thought.

Here's something to ponder:

TB SS position in 2011: 
                                             .193/.256/.282/.539

Brignac     .448
      Johnson    .576
      Rodriguez .646

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"alex, I'll take 'light hitting shortstops" for $500"

It is what it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It might actually be "Final Jeopardy".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

"alex, I'll take 'light hitting shortstops" for $500" It is what it is.
    Posted by 86redsox

Light hitters are 250---260 not someone struggling to hit 225 at AAA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Iglesias : After 5 years and 353 games, he is still breaking in? Heck, by the time he is 30, he should be a solid player!
    Posted by Alibiike

Catchers develop later than other players, he's still only 26, has played only 292 games at catcher for 3 organisations for a multitude of coaches and managers and seems to have had a mini-breakout last year despite his late fade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Ellsbury, Sweeney, McDonald, and Aviles* as of now figure to be the outfielders on the opening-day roster. Only Ellsbury will play every day. Either McDonald or Aviles will start in LF. Both will be in the lineup against lefties. 
    Things change if Boston acquires Ross or another outfielder, and will change when Crawford returns.
    Aviles could be the starting SS  if he's not in the outfield; if he is, Punto might get the nod.
    Or Iglesias. The departure of Scutaro scrambles the SS position ( again! ). It's likely that Iglesias will get a good look in ST, and that Valentine will try to massage his confidence. His destiny might be in his hands even sooner than was expected before the trade. 
    Much depends upon how long Crawford is sidelined.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm waiting for someone to say we shouldn't have traded Lowrie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

I WHANT IGLESIAS TO START EVERY DAY RED SOX SS POSITION. DONE. MORE IF HIM CAN GET VERY GOOD SPRINT TRAINNIG .. AND VALENTINE IS A FAN OF THIS TYPE OF PLAYERS... HE CAN BE A UPGRADE FOR THE DEFENSE... WITH THE REST OF RSOX OFENSE AND YOUKILIS START HEALTH THE SEASON, CRAWFORD SEEING A BOUNCE BACK, RYAN SWEENEY AND MCDONALDS DOING MORE THAN JD DREW LAST YEAR, AND THE REST OF THE RED SOX (ADRIAN GONZALEZ, PEDROIA, ELLSBURY, ORTIZ), THEY CAN GIVE THE CHANCE... EVERY IGLESIAS DO WITH THE BAT WILL BE EXCELLENT! HIS GLOVE IS SPECTACULAR! 

IGLESIAS TO SS !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

The answer to your question is simple: Iglesias may be exceptional. He may be.  I'm a big fan, beleive he'll start next year, and beleive he'll hit a respectable amount in the bigs.  I also don't beleive he is anywhere close to ready.  If he comes up in 2013 and gives us better than a .600, I'll be pleased. I mostly object to the idea that a good glove can play in the pros with virtually no hitting ability at this point.  If that was the case, most of the SS's in the league would be 22 y.o.'s.
    Posted by Joebreidey

YEA! THAT IS THE ACTITUDE!  
    IGLESIAS TO START 2012 SS !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Gordon Edes sums up the problem nicely: "The Sox privately say they are prepared to enter the season with newly acquired  Nick Punto and Mike Aviles sharing the position, a prospect that could trigger a sitdown strike by Sox pitchers in spring training. Jose Iglesias' glove projects him as the shortstop of the future; his bat dictates he needs more time in the minor leagues. Remember, Iglesias just turned 22 and has just 671 plate appearances in the minors; let's give him at least 1,000 before deciding whether he'll hit in the big leagues or not. Punto, meanwhile, started six games at short for the Cardinals last season and has never started more than 60 in a season. Aviles, meanwhile, has started a total of 52 games at short over the past three years after his rookie season of 2008, and this winter he took an outfielder's glove to Puerto Rico to expand his repertoire."

I think the Red Sox are now looking at shortstop, right field and pitching issues, and I do not see how they can solve all three issues....My bet is that the Scutaro trade turns out to be a minor disaster, unless Mortensen exceeds expectations or Oswalt comes on board and pitches like the Oswalt of old, not someone ready to follow Lackey and Dice-K on to the DL...I am actually surprised there is not more concern in RSN over this trade....The Red Sox team just seems to get weaker as these deals progress....
    “Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

I think Iglesias can be taught to hit better. Maybe his weight. At the bottom of the lineup, he can also bunt some. Heck, let's not let go of that glove. Seriously. He can also be pinch hit for or sat vs very tough pitchers. We have Aviles and Punto. My guess is that even if he played 150 games, he'd bat 9th and only get about 480 PAs. We're talking maybe 30-40 less hits that Scutaro would get. Anyone who watches an exceptional fielding SS knows they can make so many more plays over average of below average-ranged SSs (like Scutty) over 150 games, it's not even funny. Just because the modern trend seems to be towards hitting over fielding SSs, doesn't mean the old way didn't have some merit.
    Posted by moonslav59

YOU SAY ALL BRO! EXCELLENT!  IGLESIAS TO START EVERY DAY RED SOX SS 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moon knows how to bore the heck out of things. What is the point of calculating how many more balls Iggy would grab over Scutaro? Rather than just use common sense: Scutaro old, Lowrie made of glass, Iglesias great glove and young (full of energy)..... that is how I approach assessing things. 

I made the above assessment in September and over and over again... moon rolls out paragraphs of stats to justify Lowrie-Scutaro types and in the end I win.... Lowrie and Scutaro are gone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Burr, I tried your approach. It really is simple. Anyone who has played the game with a poor and a great fielding SS knows the incredible value of fielding at that key position. You are right, no stats are needed. No projected stats like plays made can be proven. 

However, just stating your assessment over and over rarely convinces anyone of anything. There are so many posters here who look primarily or only at Fielding percentage as if that is the be-all-end-all of judging who is a good fielder or not. The range of a SS is way more important than making 15 vs 25-30 errors. Age and health are factors, but really it comes down to "making plays", as in making plays average of below average players don't make and not botching too many plays most SSs make. There's also turning DPs and making strong cutoff throws (or holding runners with teh threat of a strong throw).

I posted some comparative SS numbers on plays made to try and convince the nonbelievers that a 100 play differential is entirely possible between a great-ranged SS and a poor one like Scutty, Jed and Jete. Sorry if it bored you, but you weren't my target audience. I'm after the non-believers.

Just wait, why posters are sceaming to send Iggy down for batting .195 in May, the Sox will be winning, the same posters will be vexed at why our marginal pitchers are looking good, and we have 3 guys pitching like Cy Young. 

(Sidenote: if we don't go with Iggy FT or for a substantial amount of innings at SS in 2012, I'll be bummed, but not surprised if Aviles & Punto combined do about the same as Scutty's Boston OPS of .744, and they will field better than Marco as well-just not close to Iggy.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moon  I hope you know I am being sarcastic. Posters appreciate your work for more than my quick quips. The board needs a % of all kinds, and your efforts may be the purest contributions above all others.

Maybe there is a chance they plan on making a big move for SS? I cannot fathom they would actually go with my prefernce of handing Iggy the job until at least the all*star break.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon  I hope you know I am being sarcastic. Posters appreciate your work for more than my quick quips. The board needs a % of all kinds, and your efforts may be the purest contributions above all others. Maybe there is a chance they plan on making a big move for SS? I cannot fathom they would actually go with my prefernce of handing Iggy the job until at least the all*star break.
    Posted by BurritoT

I'm seriously doubting Ben going with the Iggy choice as well, but he is getting paid $2.1M this year and has pocketed over $4M already.

I doubt we are looking at SSs now. Once the Papi issue is settled, we'll know what we have to spend on pitching and possibly RH'd OF help.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I will look like even more of an azz if they trade for Hanley!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Take the Yankee troll gun out and shoot me guys, but it just seems there is far more blind optimism here than this trade promises...I think the Red Sox are in trouble on paper anyway, unless they sign Oswalt for sure and he pitches near expectations without injury...If not, I believe the loss of Scutaro will be lamented....

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not as big a one as Ben would look.

Tongue Out

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Can't wait for the season to start...Right now, the Yanks look about 9 games better than the Bosox, and 4 games better than the Rays on paper...Unfortunately, paper decides very little....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

PeteAbe Pete Abraham Bobby Valentine said after the BBWAA dinner that Mike Aviles would get a good look at SS in sp. training and he was anxious to see Iglesias 42 minutes ago
    Posted by pinstripezac
    GM Zac, Honestly I was surprise the Sox offered Marco a contract for 2012. I want th kids defense and any offense is extra cherries. They say he is w/o an equal with the glove.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Iglesias : I'm seriously doubting Ben going with the Iggy choice as well, but he is getting paid $2.1M this year and has pocketed over $4M already. I doubt we are looking at SSs now. Once the Papi issue is settled, we'll know what we have to spend on pitching and possibly RH'd OF help.
    Posted by moonslav59

I think Ben would rather go with Iggy and say Oswalt than a name SS and no pitcher...me too...give the kid a chance...we do have enough hitting as it stands now....I will miss Scut, always thought he didnt get enough love in Boston but maybe the Iggy era has begun!

Sections
Shortcuts