I'm Changing My Name to Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'm Changing My Name to Drew

Maybe the Sox will pay me a few million to sit on the bench.

Sorry for the snark, but I think part of Stephen's problem is his brother, JD.

JD was a Boras client who was supposedly going to supply #5 hitting power, and he never came close. But he did get paid like a #5 hitter. He was the opposite of a dirt dog -- he refused to play if he was hurt in any way. In one extra innings game Terry Francona yelled at him to get on the field because there was no one left. Meanwhile, he was a fairly reliable out -- grounder-to-second kind of thing. Or he could kill the energy in a rally by waiting out the pitcher for a walk.

I don't mean to bring up the old JD thing, but I do feel some resentment when I think about the fact that the Sox have overpaid for Stephen this time around. I think I'd feel differently about Stephen if JD had never been here.

That said, I still think it was a mistake to sign Stephen. Now we've got a platoon situation gong on at short while Bogey idles at third.

And because we're now paying Stephen so much money, I don't expect that will change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: I'm Changing My Name to Drew

First name "Nancy"?

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

JD was a Boras client who was supposedly going to supply #5 hitting power, and he never came close. But he did get paid like a #5 hitter. He was the opposite of a dirt dog -- he refused to play if he was hurt in any way. In one extra innings game Terry Francona yelled at him to get on the field because there was no one left. Meanwhile, he was a fairly reliable out -- grounder-to-second kind of thing. Or he could kill the energy in a rally by waiting out the pitcher for a walk.

I don't mean to bring up the old JD thing, but I do feel some resentment when I think about the fact that the Sox have overpaid for Stephen this time around. I think I'd feel differently about Stephen if JD had never been here.

That said, I still think it was a mistake to sign Stephen. Now we've got a platoon situation gong on at short while Bogey idles at third.

And because we're now paying Stephen so much money, I don't expect that will change.

Some team might take Drew but we will have to eat some contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

B I N G O   DAT  !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I doubt it stays as a platoon.  Farrell is just slowly brining Drew up to speed.  The guy did miss 50 games already - do people expect him to step right back in?  I am not sure if that I what is going on, but if Farrell was easing him back in, the days off should probably come against LHP.   But he didn't platoon Drew last year, so I doubt it lasts.

And how exactly is Bogie "idling" at third.  Granted, I think his defensive shortcomings were exaggerated, but his future was very, very likely at 3B.  Why is it a problem that he is there now?  It's not like the Sox have Mike Schmidt waiting to reclaim 3B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I doubt it stays as a platoon.  Farrell is just slowly brining Drew up to speed.  The guy did miss 50 games already - do people expect him to step right back in?  I am not sure if that I what is going on, but if Farrell was easing him back in, the days off should probably come against LHP.   But he didn't platoon Drew last year, so I doubt it lasts.

And how exactly is Bogie "idling" at third.  Granted, I think his defensive shortcomings were exaggerated, but his future was very, very likely at 3B.  Why is it a problem that he is there now?  It's not like the Sox have Mike Schmidt waiting to reclaim 3B.

I say he's idling at third because I believe* he really wants to play short, and it's not clear what the Sox plan to do with him in the future. Is he going to play 3B permanently? Or is he going to return to short next year? No one's made that clear. I don't think that's good for his confidence.

Now we've got Drew and Herrera (sp?) platooning and Holt headed for God know where. Not cool.

*I've read this, but don't remember where... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yes, I posted the SI article from 2006 when Theo said not only would Drew bat 5th but there was great speculation that off season that Manny would be dealt and Drew would serve as his replacement in the 4 hole.  Of course, I got bashed for suggesting Drew was brought in as a middle of the order guy and further, even though I provided the link to the SI article, we had many who denied its existence.  64 RBI for a #4 or #5 man?  Enough said.

Sections
Shortcuts