I'm done with Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Re: I'm done with Ortiz

You sound like a Yankee fan. Why haven't you identified yourself as such? Are you afraid that those who you wish to annoy will place you onto ignore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Nice watching him jog to first on a double play ball.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411939. Show user_4411939's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz:
    You sound like a Yankee fan. Why haven't you identified yourself as such? Are you afraid that those who you wish to annoy will place you onto ignore?
    Posted by BeaconHill19

Hey Pikester? How ya doing buddy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...whining this, covering that....it's all nonsense....handbags at 20 paces.  Forget about the real problems in the real world....even in the tiny, insignificant world of baseball this is much ado about f-all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Ortiz is not doing so great at the moment and his batting average doesn't tell the whole story. Once again..in a clutch situation ..against someone who is not even a top pitcher..Ortiz has done nothing.
    Most people who I know in life agree that it is time for Ortiz to go. I never thought Youk should have gone to third..and think he would have been better off as the DH as well...so let him heal and give him the job next season.

Is Beaconhill pulling out the race card as well as the troll card..? Too funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : Hey Pikester? How ya doing buddy?
    Posted by null

What a rarity, a Yankee fan who refuses to identify himself as such on this forum. What a coward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411939. Show user_4411939's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : What a rarity, a Yankee fan who refuses to identify himself as such on this forum. What a coward.
    Posted by BeaconHill19

You have no avatar, how are ya Pikey?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Ortiz has 29 HRs.   I guess we don't really need him.   We can get a guy like that to DH just about anywhere.  
    Posted by soxmeister

How many homeruns does Ortiz have in September?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : And your third baseman is? And please don't say Pujolis. From this list you can tell it isn't going to be through FA: Third Basemen Wilson Betemit KC Casey Blake LAD * Eric Chavez NYY Mark DeRosa SF Greg Dobbs PHI Edwin Encarnacion TOR * Wes Helms FLA Melvin Mora ARI Aramis Ramirez CHC Miguel Tejada SF Omar Vizquel CWS
    Posted by fivekatz

what about Jed Lowrie hahahahahaa

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

David Ortiz is Senor Octubre, or have you forgotten? Not only that but he is on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI yet again. Whatever problems the Red Sox are having, David Ortiz is not one of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : And your third baseman is? And please don't say Pujolis. From this list you can tell it isn't going to be through FA: Third Basemen Wilson Betemit KC Casey Blake LAD * Eric Chavez NYY Mark DeRosa SF Greg Dobbs PHI Edwin Encarnacion TOR * Wes Helms FLA Melvin Mora ARI Aramis Ramirez CHC Miguel Tejada SF Omar Vizquel CWS
    Posted by fivekatz

Excellent Katz. Only a fool would think the 3rd base position could upgrade a DH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Mike Lowell was great DH insurance in 2010. Wakefield will be great starter insurance for 2012, like his brilliant work in 2011.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to I'm done with Ortiz : If you don't like Ortiz, fine. Much of your post is opinion and even though you're out to lunch on most of it, again, fine -- an opinion is an opinion.  I take someone's opinion in relation to how they use facts. If they use facts correctly and accurately, then I'll give their opinion serious consideration. When they make up facts, then then I'll take their opinion as nothing more than mindless whining. So let's look at your "facts" you state, which I highlighed in bold. In 2009, 0 HR, 12 RBIs, .230 in April and 1 HR, 6 RBI in May. Good start. Ortiz indeed struggled those two months. Next: In 2010, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .143 in April, 10 HR, 27 RBI, .363 BA in May. Get out the Gong, you lose. You feel the need to exagerate and ignoring that one of the months you classified as struggling was one of his best months ever. Nice try but chalk up your post to nothing but mindless whining. Thanks for playing. Don't forget your parting gifts.
    Posted by royf19

Your pettiness gives me a headache.

The point was; he started two consecutive years with significantly long slumps and his manager backed him. Maybe you missed that. If you want to nitpick and point out 5 weeks here, 8 weeks there, go right ahead and have your fun. When someone, anyone goes to such lengths to grasp at thin stats it shows who really has an agenda. I was working off of memory, and was off by a few weeks for one of the years, does that really invalidate my point? It did to you, and that's sad. You must work for the IRS to be so exacting all the time. Seriously, that's absurd.

As for the DH, yes, Youk is the obvious choice.

As was my reasoning to NOT sign Crawford, part of it at least, you DON'T NEED OVERPAID PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION! "Scrapheap" players have worked out better than the high priced ones:

Bill Mueller
    Mike Lowell
    Ortiz HIMSELF (splitting time with Jeremy Giambi when he got here, lest we forget)
    Nick Swisher for the Yanks (everyone laughed at 9mil per and the thought of him as a starter)

Will Middlebrooks is the supposed future over there, is he a year away? 2? More than that? I'd honestly rather piece it together for a year or two and wait for the kid than run Youk out there the next 2 years and have nothing left of him. I've said for a few years the way he plays is going to catch up with him, and it is. Moving him to DH will extend the amount of time they can get some use out of his very capable hitting. Basically I prefer Youk/DH and ??/3B for the next 2 years over Ortiz/DH and Youk/3B. If that's the plan, it's going to be ??/3B for at least 80 games over two years anyway. What's the point? And to have a declining Ortiz? He put up big numbers in a contract year...yeah, nobody has ever seen that before. And those older players ALWAYS produce after getting that one, last contract, right? Awesome plan. Plans like that land Crawford for 7 years and 142million. Not only is he 30, he's an old 30 having already logged ten seasons. How many guys are their most productive in seasons 11-16 of their careers? Maybe years 11/12 are towards their best, but not the last 4, and it's usually 4-10. 100 years of baseball history shows you that, and yet...7 years/142 million for a 29 year old, 9 year vet. Ugh. At least LEARN from the mistakes!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Good post!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : Excellent Katz . Only a fool would think the 3rd base position could upgrade a DH.
    Posted by harness

I believe I said either SS or 3B would have to carry a big bat, the other can be an adequate hitter with a gold glove. I will take Youk at DH 60% of the time next year or 100% over Ortiz. 

Tell us where Youk will play in 2012 if he cannot field due to declining health, tell us where Tito will rest his players. The bench? Or in the DH spot?

How many games did we lose this inter-league year? Where was Ortiz, he was on the bench. 

Flexibility and necessity. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford

Were we better keeping Beltre at third Youk at first not picking up the option on Ortiz and letting Victor Mart DH and overpaying for Cliff Lee and maybe putting a stop gap 1 year fix out there like Johnny Damon who is a winner and has better numbers then crawford then the boy wonder could have had some money to make moves at the deadline. VMART 4years 46m c/dh/1b Beltre 5 years 96 m 3b
     Cliff Lee 5 years 100 m /p   Damon 1 year 4 million LF/ maybe 4th of platton. Now that package comes out to an estimated 250 million a with more money down the line to spend , Then agone 154m and crawford 142m and jenks 12m which is 210 million on those contracts. i would pay the extra money on players that played here before and done well then players who have not played here before. I know aboggs is hitting 340 but how many homeruns does he have since all star break and what is his average against tampa and newyork. Have a good day everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford

In Response to Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford:
    Were we better keeping Beltre at third Youk at first not picking up the option on Ortiz and letting Victor Mart DH and overpaying for Cliff Lee and maybe putting a stop gap 1 year fix out there like Johnny Damon who is a winner and has better numbers then crawford then the boy wonder could have had some money to make moves at the deadline. VMART 4years 46m c/dh/1b Beltre 5 years 96 m 3b  Cliff Lee 5 years 100 m /p   Damon 1 year 4 million LF/ maybe 4th of platton. Now that package comes out to an estimated 250 million a with more money down the line to spend , Then agone 154m and crawford 142m and jenks 12m which is 210 million on those contracts. i would pay the extra money on players that played here before and done well then players who have not played here before. I know aboggs is hitting 340 but how many homeruns does he have since all star break and what is his average against tampa and newyork. Have a good day everyone.
    Posted by stinkman

It would be easy to call this "hindsight being 20/20", except many people had these same thoughts before Victor left, and before Gonzalez or Crawford came here.

Personally, Beltre wasn't for me, I question his production over the next few years, but I could be wrong. But I would have DEFINITELY paid Victor and let Ortiz walk. Victor offers 3 position help, Ortiz can sit on the bench and wait for his turn to hit.

Then THIS offseason, if they wanted to move Youk to third, there's a little 1B out there who will be on a different team...no, not Pujols...Prince Fielder. About the same money as Gonzalez, but we still have the three prospects on top of it.

But, no, a mere mention of "bridge year" and Pink Hat Nation throws a sh!t fit.

Fans want to complain about these signings (crawford/lackey) but it the pressure from YOU SAME FANS, and the mentality that the Sox should ALWAYS spend, and NEVER get outmanuevered by the Yankees that lead to these very signings.

Lackey, to me, was an obvious attempt to pacify the fanbase. They put up big money for someone they thought would give them 200 plus innings, and mid-4 ERAs on the heels of fans flipping out about Cameron and "bridge year". How wrong they were. Gonzalez and Crawford were both THeo man0crushes, and we've all seen how those work out.

You know what, I'm tired of this management team, their excuses for bad signings, justifications for bad moves, and the over commercialization of EVERYTHING that is Red Sox or Fenway. There is no accountability anywhere. None when Theo makes a bad signing. None when Francona sh!ts the bed, and certainly not a god d a m n e d thing when players act totally unprofessionally (Lackey/Ortiz have offered plenty of opportunities for Francona to set the standard, and he has not).

I enjoyed the Sox more in the 90s when they were losing, the Yankees were winning, there was always a sense of impending doom, but that was right up next to the never-ending feelings of hope. I used to take pride in the fact that the Sox, though big spenders in their own right, were NEVER in the same universe as the Yankees. I didn't want to give Texeira all that money, and was happy with how Henry blasted he and Boras after the meeting.

Now? They sign everyone. Overpay. Are emptying out the farm system. Pay players to go play for other teams. Justify terrible signings like Drew (a tick OVER what they pay him? when?). And are left with big, obvious holes when their overpaid 'talent' underproduces. These are all the things that, even as they were winning, I laughed at the Yankees for. Now Boston is just as guilty, and it sickens me. Ortiz now reminds me A LOT of Sheffield circa 2004. He's not the jovial personality he once was. He often bristles at the media. He gets infuriated when anyone questions his production. If he starts talking about how Manny was a racially motivated move, that will seal it for me (tongue in cheek on that last part).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ortiz is the least of the redsox problems, he at least has shown interest out there during this slide, for the most part the rest of the team has shown no heart or interest

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Red Sox have become fair game with their over-spending. Most teams are lucky if they can afford to make a choice between AGon and Crawford, not Boston of course. We simply sign both.

Some teams have to debate wether to ink a Lackey or re-sign Beckett instead. Not Boston, we just sign both.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

OK, now you guys are just nuts.  Complain about all the players not getting it done on the field, fine, expect them all to hit .300, drive in 100, and get 30 HRs. But, now, you go after the guy who does get it done?  What do you guys want?
    Posted by Kamdog

A full season from opening day on.  That's what they get millions for.
    And the don't worry about all these lost games in the beginning didn't give us the cushion we needed to avoid this collapse

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mick711. Show mick711's posts

i hope they bring the entire team back, please!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Definietely part of the September swoon with just 1 homer and 8 RBIs. One year with option.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

2012 - 10 million with a team option for 2013 - $1.00

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tdan. Show tdan's posts

as long as they don't test for GH Ortiz and Ellsbury should be fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tdan. Show tdan's posts

as long as they don't test for GH Ortiz and Ellsbury should be fine.

Sections
Shortcuts