I'm done with Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: I'm done with Ortiz

In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz:
    [QUOTE]David Ortiz is Senor Octubre, or have you forgotten? Not only that but he is on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI yet again. Whatever problems the Red Sox are having, David Ortiz is not one of them.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Wel..before Ortiz can be Senor Octubre...he needs to be present in September. That means taking the lead and picking his team up when they need it..and when it matters most. Once again..how many of those homeruns have been in September? What's Ortiz' average in Sept? So much for clutch. Of course..I suppose that could change today..
    The only job Ortiz has on the team is to hit the ball..and bring  the runners ahead of him in. How many guys has he left on base in the last 10 games?

Also..as far as being "Senor Octubre"...what were his stats last post season..??

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

BA .284 in last 28 days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Miscricket: I guess the pink hat statistic fans will not answer your question/ Last time the sox were in the playoffs, Ortiz went 1 for 13 and the sox were out in three. This recent yankee series was close to playoff status, and Ortiz went 1 for 12 or close.  I know he went 1 for 8 yesterday.  He was swinging at some real bad pitches as well. Time for ortiz to go.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Jack
    The reason Ortiz has been more successful this year against lefties is because he started going to left against them this year......he did that exact thing yesterday like he has done all year. Unfortunately in Yankees Stadium that is not going to work out that well....thus the 1 for 8 with some deep shots to left left center

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Touchy, touchy ...

Good thing you weren't a Yanqui fan in the days of Martin and Jackson ....

Or even Yaz and a few of his managers ...

The guy's got opinions, paid his dues, keeps producing ...

When was the last time you spoke up for your own work?

An RBI?   So what ... he gets 99 this year and he missed the century mark due to a call ... and it is forever in his records.

Big deal.

Really?

Ho many naysayers point out he didn't hit 100 rbis in recent years, when he was only one or two off ...

He's a DH ... NO WONDER HE WANTS HIS RBIs

He's  a DH ... a professional hitter, not fielder ... so he MIGHT know a bit about pitching ... it's all he faces ...

hmmmmm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford

In Response to Re: Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Guys are we better without Agone and Crawford : It would be easy to call this "hindsight being 20/20", except many people had these same thoughts before Victor left, and before Gonzalez or Crawford came here. Personally, Beltre wasn't for me, I question his production over the next few years, but I could be wrong. But I would have DEFINITELY paid Victor and let Ortiz walk. Victor offers 3 position help, Ortiz can sit on the bench and wait for his turn to hit. Then THIS offseason, if they wanted to move Youk to third, there's a little 1B out there who will be on a different team...no, not Pujols...Prince Fielder. About the same money as Gonzalez, but we still have the three prospects on top of it. But, no, a mere mention of "bridge year" and Pink Hat Nation throws a sh!t fit. Fans want to complain about these signings (crawford/lackey) but it the pressure from YOU SAME FANS, and the mentality that the Sox should ALWAYS spend, and NEVER get outmanuevered by the Yankees that lead to these very signings. Lackey, to me, was an obvious attempt to pacify the fanbase. They put up big money for someone they thought would give them 200 plus innings, and mid-4 ERAs on the heels of fans flipping out about Cameron and "bridge year". How wrong they were. Gonzalez and Crawford were both THeo man0crushes, and we've all seen how those work out. You know what, I'm tired of this management team, their excuses for bad signings, justifications for bad moves, and the over commercialization of EVERYTHING that is Red Sox or Fenway. There is no accountability anywhere. None when Theo makes a bad signing. None when Francona sh!ts the bed, and certainly not a god d a m n e d thing when players act totally unprofessionally (Lackey/Ortiz have offered plenty of opportunities for Francona to set the standard, and he has not). I enjoyed the Sox more in the 90s when they were losing, the Yankees were winning, there was always a sense of impending doom, but that was right up next to the never-ending feelings of hope. I used to take pride in the fact that the Sox, though big spenders in their own right, were NEVER in the same universe as the Yankees. I didn't want to give Texeira all that money, and was happy with how Henry blasted he and Boras after the meeting. Now? They sign everyone. Overpay. Are emptying out the farm system. Pay players to go play for other teams. Justify terrible signings like Drew (a tick OVER what they pay him? when?). And are left with big, obvious holes when their overpaid 'talent' underproduces. These are all the things that, even as they were winning, I laughed at the Yankees for. Now Boston is just as guilty, and it sickens me. Ortiz now reminds me A LOT of Sheffield circa 2004. He's not the jovial personality he once was. He often bristles at the media. He gets infuriated when anyone questions his production. If he starts talking about how Manny was a racially motivated move, that will seal it for me (tongue in cheek on that last part).
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

You weren't the only one last year who wanted to bring back Victor and let Ortiz walk for 2 picks but Ortiz has put up great numbers this year and many will want him to bring him back again.

Then again, Victor put up great numbers also and could catch for us some as well ( which would have been useful don't you think )? Retaining Victor, in hindsight, would have helped us this year IMO.

I've proposed slotting Lavarnway as the primary DH next year but allow the option of some rest time for guys like Youk and others at DH as well. Remove the dedicated roster slot for DH. Take the 2 picks which are so valuable now. Save the $12 mil and use it to shore up pitching or sign a guy like Reyes at SS.

I think Lavarnway has a major league bat right now and will probably surpass the production we would get from Ortiz in a year or 2 at a lot less money. If he doesn't we can always pick up another DH or get someone like Kalish / Reddick ...etc to fill that slot.

If we hold onto Ortiz much longer he will not be worth 2 picks. Now is the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : Your pettiness gives me a headache. The point was; he started two consecutive years with significantly long slumps and his manager backed him. Maybe you missed that. If you want to nitpick and point out 5 weeks here, 8 weeks there, go right ahead and have your fun. When someone, anyone goes to such lengths to grasp at thin stats it shows who really has an agenda. I was working off of memory, and was off by a few weeks for one of the years, does that really invalidate my point? It did to you, and that's sad. You must work for the IRS to be so exacting all the time. Seriously, that's absurd. As for the DH, yes, Youk is the obvious choice. As was my reasoning to NOT sign Crawford, part of it at least, you DON'T NEED OVERPAID PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION! "Scrapheap" players have worked out better than the high priced ones: Bill Mueller Mike Lowell Ortiz HIMSELF (splitting time with Jeremy Giambi when he got here, lest we forget) Nick Swisher for the Yanks (everyone laughed at 9mil per and the thought of him as a starter) Will Middlebrooks is the supposed future over there, is he a year away? 2? More than that? I'd honestly rather piece it together for a year or two and wait for the kid than run Youk out there the next 2 years and have nothing left of him. I've said for a few years the way he plays is going to catch up with him, and it is. Moving him to DH will extend the amount of time they can get some use out of his very capable hitting. Basically I prefer Youk/DH and ??/3B for the next 2 years over Ortiz/DH and Youk/3B. If that's the plan, it's going to be ??/3B for at least 80 games over two years anyway. What's the point? And to have a declining Ortiz? He put up big numbers in a contract year...yeah, nobody has ever seen that before. And those older players ALWAYS produce after getting that one, last contract, right? Awesome plan. Plans like that land Crawford for 7 years and 142million. Not only is he 30, he's an old 30 having already logged ten seasons. How many guys are their most productive in seasons 11-16 of their careers? Maybe years 11/12 are towards their best, but not the last 4, and it's usually 4-10. 100 years of baseball history shows you that, and yet...7 years/142 million for a 29 year old, 9 year vet. Ugh. At least LEARN from the mistakes!
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Oh how I love posts like yours. You twist everything Ortiz has done and paint it in the worst possible way and I'm being petty.

You don't like Ortiz anymore, fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

You posted:
    -- Breaks in on Francona interview ... ignoring how Pedroia said it was all a joke.
    -- Decides he's a pitching expert (Aceves) ... and interprets it as throwing Francona under the bus. I didn't see anything inflammatory. He was just expressing his opinion
    -- Whine multiple times (long term deal) ... painting it when whining when he was simply answering reporter's questions. What was he supposed to do. Not answer? Then everyone would  accuse him of moping and pouting because of his deal. He answered honestly, and none of the stories had any legs because he didn't make a big deal of it.

You also posted that he shouldn't talk anything but hitting because he's a DH. Really. He's in the lockerroom, he knows the players an as a hitter, he knows about good pitching and bad pitching, but he should just talk about hitting. So my your standard, why are you discussing major league baseball players. Have you ever been a MLB player. No? So, again, to use your standards and your words, I don't know why you feel the need to open your mouth. You don't field, You don't pitch. You don't pinch run. He!!, you don't even hit.

You also wrote, Ortiz is consumed with Ortiz.

Now everything above opinion, but I didn't call you out on any of it. I just pointed out how you exaggerated facts. That give insight to the rest of your post. If you're exaggerating on the facts, then it's hard to take your opinions serious. And yes, not getting the facts right does invalidate your point. Because it shows you're just flailing out on emotion instead of crafting a well-reasoned statement. What sad is that you feel you can just make things up as you go along -- basically lie -- and expect to be taken seriously. Now that's what absurd. (And there is a big difference with slumpiing bad for eight weeks one year and four weeks the next, especially the four-week slump slow start was the most recent one).

I don't work for the IRS, but in my job I am expected to be accurate with everything I do. I don't know what you do for a living, but it must be nice to just be able to go through and make things up as you go along. When someone has to exaggerate the facts to try to support their opinions, it shows who has an agenda. 

You painted everything about Ortiz in your post in the worst possible way, but I'm the one with an agenda? Wow, after this weekend with my UCF blowing the game against BYU, with the Sox losing the first two games against the Yankees and the Patriots blowing it against the Bills, I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

(Laughing again) You start a thread "I'm done with Ortiz," yet I'm the one with an agenda. Geez, it's been a long time since I've been able to laugh this much. Again, much thanks.

As for the rest of the post above. I agree about not overpaying at every position. I posted a couple of years ago that I didn't think the Sox should sign Crawford at a time when this board was filled with posters saying the Sox should sign him when he becomes a free agent. I hated Crawford's contact when he was signed and I hate it now.

I didn't want the Sox to become the Yankees of the 2000's. When they won in the late 1990s, they did it with guys like Paul O'Neil, Tino Martinez and Scott Brocious (sp?). When they replaced those guys with the Gary Sheffields, Jason Giambis and A-Rods, they stopped winning W.S. I've always said you need a balance. I've criticized other posters who feel the Sox need to have an All-Star at every position.

But Youk being an obvious choice at DH? How do you figure that? Some guys can't adjust. He does have an advantage of being able to play some 3B and 1B, but  it also doesn't mean he won't get hurt. He played 1B the last two years and still ended up on the DL in both years.

Ortiz has been in the top five in OPS and could end up with another 30-100 year. From strictly a batting standpoint, I'd rather have that bat in the lineup. It is reasonable to ask if Ortiz can still put up those numbers the next year or two because of his age. That where the discussion should be centered on, not all the other noise you threw in because at the end of the day, you're not in the lockkeroom so you don't know how well Ortiz has Francona's back. 

And for that matter, there are no guarantees that Youk would stay healthy and put up strong numbers strictly as a DH. Still, I might buy your arguement about Youk at DH with a different 3B if you actually named a 3B.

Really now, you don't see how ridiculous you sound saying you'd rather have a no-name whom you have no idea  how well he'll perform instead of one of the top five hitters in the game?

And again, you're statement ''he (Ortiz) put up numbers in a contract year" is again twisting things to paint him in the worst light, making it sound like he's been horrible the past two years, sitting around waiting for his contract year to start hitting again. Yes, he struggled agianst lefties last year, but overall, there was nothing wrong with his numbers last year. And the only thing wrong with his numbers two years ago was his BA. And because of the first two months, his power and RBI numbers are even more impressive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Oh No.  Someone is "done" with Ortiz. 

And that matters because?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]the .284 is mostly singles.  In ortiz's own words, if he is kept to singles, he is not doing his job.  What is ortiz's batting average against the yankees and tampa during the month of september?  total of no more than 5 hits, nothing yard and possibly 2 runs batted in. Yes, he did better with the lefties.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    I think the answer to that is something like .125

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]Oh No.  Someone is "done" with Ortiz.  And that matters because?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

....because their pink thongs are giving them an atomic wedgie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

David lost -/+ 20 lbs., came prepared to ST, and had a very productive year.  He also speaks for many in the clubhouse, invigorates the fan base, adds personality and contributes in the community.

I'd like another 24 just like him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Then you team would finish last, poor fielding and slow runners.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfanmoncton. Show redsoxfanmoncton's posts

I wonder who is laughing the hardest, Manny, Roger  or the Yankee fans, (although almost all of them left last nights game  before it even ended, imagine)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

What has Ortiz done in September, poorly conditioned 4 for 47 nice David. Big help to the team. 1 Home run.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

This is so frustrating - Unless Ortiz could pitch, then nothing he could have done was going to stop the slide.  It was the pitching that let the team down. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think Lavarnway has a major league bat right now and will probably surpass the production we would get from Ortiz in a year or 2 at a lot less money. If he doesn't we can always pick up another DH or get someone like Kalish / Reddick ...etc to fill that slot. (Boomer)

You really think Lavarnway is capable of giving you 25 - 30 HR's, .300 BA and almost 100 rbi's in the next year or two. These are not easy numbers to come by.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm done with Ortiz : Oh how I love posts like yours. You twist everything Ortiz has done and paint it in the worst possible way and I'm being petty. You don't like Ortiz anymore, fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  You posted: -- Breaks in on Francona interview ... ignoring how Pedroia said it was all a joke. -- Decides he's a pitching expert (Aceves) ... and interprets it as throwing Francona under the bus. I didn't see anything inflammatory. He was just expressing his opinion -- Whine multiple times (long term deal) ... painting it when whining when he was simply answering reporter's questions. What was he supposed to do. Not answer? Then everyone would  accuse him of moping and pouting because of his deal. He answered honestly, and none of the stories had any legs because he didn't make a big deal of it.

The rest was opinions going back and forth, so I'll focus on the meat of it.

-You believe Pedroia whole heartedly it seems. I do not. Many here do not. Most people believe AT MOST, the joke was on Ortiz. So, going along with what 99% of people believe, Ortiz was p!ssed, and acted totally selfishly. I really don't believe in any way Ortiz was joking, and I highly doubt Perdroia.

-I do interpret the Aceves thing as throwing the manager under the bus. For a comparison, I have to go to football, and Belichick speciafically. Whenever he is EVER asked about a play that broke down, and where the failure came, he ALWAYS starts with "it was bad coaching..." and goes on from there. He does that so he is never hanging a player out to dry, never laying blame, never singling anyone out. Ortiz singled out Francona, and blamed him. Francona decided who strts and when. Ortiz said Aceves SHOULD HAVE BEEN pitching as a starter for ten days. He is publicly questioning his manager. You just don't do that. It would be akin to Francona saying "he needs to hit better, he should've been hitting better for ten days now." Francona would never do that. Ortiz did.

-Ortiz "answered questions" about his contract at least twice this year. He said he would be "p!ssed" and feel disprespected if they picked up his option LAST year. He started talking about a long term deal, oh, I'm sorry, "answering questions" TWO YEARS AGO.

What, exactly, would Ortiz have to do for you to ever admit anything slightly negative about the guy? Did he save your dog from a frozen river or something?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

The thread is much ado about nothing. The trolls just want their five minutes of fame. Why not watch a good NETFLIX movie?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]The thread is much ado about nothing. The trolls just want their five minutes of fame. Why not watch a good NETFLIX movie?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

Oh, aren't you just a regular Seinfeld.

Do you look up these quips on the internet?

www.insultsforunoriginaldouchebags.com?

I can't think of anyone who offers less to the board. You don't even ever offer an opinion on anything, just critiques of others' opinions. You're the equivalent to a backseat driver, always telling others what they do wrong, while never doing anything themselves except sit there, and be useless.

I seriously have an irrational hatred of you. You're such a coward and a fraud. I don't even care how absurd it is, I honestly wish people like you didn't exist. You're simply an oxygen thief. If people hade LIFE cards, yours would be revoked. You should have been a b l o w j o b. Again, what # name is this for you? How many times do you have to be banned before you get the point? You are truly pathetic. Just go away. Now please. Thank you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]All I can say when I read a post like this one is that somewhere in Red Sox Nation a village is missing it's idiot.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

All I can say when someone puts an obnoxious anti-GOP political slur and here and calls someone an idiot while not being smart enough to learn how to spell "its" should look in the mirror.