I'm ready to gamble...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I'm ready to gamble...

I know this is far out and quite improbable by the Sox brass, but during the rain delay, I got to thinking.  After watching the O's and Rays thus far this season, I see a tough road ahead for the Sox in the 2nd half of the season.

Sooo, suppose the Sox send Middlebrooks to AAA to regain his swing and confidence, get 100% healthy and strength back in his wrist, AND give him a 1B mitt and top tutor to learn the position.  Then, play Iglesias at 3B, day-in-day-out, and see if he's the real deal, while also playing Xander Bogaerts regularly at 3B at Pawtucket.

Then after the All Star break, perhaps the beginning of August, if everything comes together, make the 'big move', (like the Garciaparra trade of mid-season 2004,) and insert Bogaerts at 3B, Iggy at SS, and Middlebrooks at 1b with Carp available against righties if necessary. 

Let Napoli and Drew ride the pine and cut the losses after the season.

I think this lineup in the 2nd half, in spite of the team's successful 1st half record, could be more successful and could blow the top off of the AL East; and at the very least have a better shot at the pennant than the way the current roster is constituted.

Ellsbury   CF

Victorino    RF

Pedroia   2B

Ortiz       DH

Middlebrooks  1B

Nava      LF

Saltalamacchia  C

Bogaerts     3B

Iglesias     SS

Not everyone will agree with me, but you've got to admit, it would be more than a bit interesting to see this play out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: I'm ready to gamble...

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The more I think about it, the more I like it and think Farrell would be 100% on board with this.  Imagine no juggling lineups to accomodate matchups, just pencil in this regular everyday lineup for the rest of the season.

7 RH hitters to face lefties

5 LH hitters to face righties

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I know this is far out and quite improbable by the Sox brass, but during the rain delay, I got to thinking.  After watching the O's and Rays thus far this season, I see a tough road ahead for the Sox in the 2nd half of the season.

Sooo, suppose the Sox send Middlebrooks to AAA to regain his swing and confidence, get 100% healthy and strength back in his wrist, AND give him a 1B mitt and top tutor to learn the position.  Then, play Iglesias at 3B, day-in-day-out, and see if he's the real deal, while also playing Xander Bogaerts regularly at 3B at Pawtucket.

Then after the All Star break, perhaps the beginning of August, if everything comes together, make the 'big move', (like the Garciaparra trade of mid-season 2004,) and insert Bogaerts at 3B, Iggy at SS, and Middlebrooks at 1b with Carp available against righties if necessary. 

Let Napoli and Drew ride the pine and cut the losses after the season.

I think this lineup in the 2nd half, in spite of the team's successful 1st half record, could be more successful and could blow the top off of the AL East; and at the very least have a better shot at the pennant than the way the current roster is constituted.

Ellsbury   CF

Victorino    RF

Pedroia   2B

Ortiz       DH

Middlebrooks  1B

Nava      LF

Saltalamacchia  C

Bogaerts     3B

Iglesias     SS

Not everyone will agree with me, but you've got to admit, it would be more than a bit interesting to see this play out.

As DAD would say.........  "SON, I like your vision, howevaa I still like Napoli somewhere in that lineup"  !!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

WHY do you want to shake up a 1st place team?

Also WHY do we want to bench Nap's 49 ribs?

I am shaking my head in confusion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Those big moves should be made only after the Sox fall so far behind in the AL East there is little hope of getting into the playoffs.  I cannot think of a single MLB team that ever started basically three rookies in order to nail down a playoff spot.  Middlebrooks is an almost rookie given he only played 1/2 of his rookie year in 2012.  Bogaerts is so much of a rookie he hasn't even played a MLB game yet.  Only Iglesias is a decent bet at holding his own for the rest of the season.  Making this whole idea even weirder is the idea of making 3B Middebrooks play 1B and SS Bogaert play 3B.  How about this?  Dump Ortiz and bring Lavarnway up to DH so the Sox can have 8 RH hitters to face lefties.  Plus on his off days Lavarnway can play CF--anything to avoid letting him catch which is what they Sox are training him to be. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Those big moves should be made only after the Sox fall so far behind in the AL East there is little hope of getting into the playoffs.  I cannot think of a single MLB team that ever started basically three rookies in order to nail down a playoff spot.  Middlebrooks is an almost rookie given he only played 1/2 of his rookie year in 2012.  Bogaerts is so much of a rookie he hasn't even played a MLB game yet.  Only Iglesias is a decent bet at holding his own for the rest of the season.  Making this whole idea even weirder is the idea of making 3B Middebrooks play 1B and SS Bogaert play 3B.  How about this?  Dump Ortiz and bring Lavarnway up to DH so the Sox can have 8 RH hitters to face lefties.  Plus on his off days Lavarnway can play CF--anything to avoid letting him catch which is what they Sox are training him to be. 

So I take it you don't go along with my idea! Surprised Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Middlebrooks should be in the minors, period.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

[QUOTE]

As DAD would say.........  "SON, I like your vision, howevaa I still like Napoli somewhere in that lineup"  !!!!!!!

As radical as my plan might seem, I'm glad you appreciated my vision.  As for Napoli, I would agree if it were not for his SO totals.  I think my visionary lineup would compensate for his RBI's without the accompanying SO's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our lineup is fine.  It's the starting pitching that's going to decide things.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I was under the impression leading the league in scoring was a good thing?  But, if scoring too much is an issue, then maybe we have to switch things around a little.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

True ADG  Laughing

Or in Taiwan with Manny.   LOL

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

[QUOTE]

WHY do you want to shake up a 1st place team?

Also WHY do we want to bench Nap's 49 ribs?

I am shaking my head in confusion.

Fantasy baseball syndrome. Or a poker player who is never happy with his hand.  Or the hot potato in hand routine.

[/QUOTE]

A poker player should be neither happy nor unhappy with the cards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I was under the impression leading the league in scoring was a good thing?  But, if scoring too much is an issue, then maybe we have to switch things around a little.

As well as leading or being in the top three of most offensive categories DESPITE Middlebrooks/Gomes/Drew average, & Pedroia's lack of power

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Why would the Red Sox replace Mike Napoli with Will Middlebrooks at first base?

MN: career .356 OBP, .858 OPS; 2013 .347 OBP, .814 OPS

WM: career .286 OBP, .750 OPS; .2013 .232 OBP, .635 OPS

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Yup...just like Doubront should be in the bullpen...hahahah a...glad you're not a coach, at any level cause you have no clue about anything in regards to the game of baseball

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Why would the Red Sox replace Mike Napoli with Will Middlebrooks at first base?

MN: career .356 OBP, .858 OPS; 2013 .347 OBP, .814 OPS

WM: career .286 OBP, .750 OPS; .2013 .232 OBP, .635 OPS

In answer to your very legitimate question, I qualified my original proposal with "Then after the All Star break, perhaps the beginning of August, if everything comes together" which was meant to include Middlebrooks regaining the promise that he showed before and leading up to the Youk trade of a year ago.

(compliments of hill55: "Middlebrooks had a great start to his rookie season, posting a .331/.368/.592/.960 line in 152 plate appearances before the Kevin Youkilis trade."

If Middlebrooks shows signs of reaching his potential and posting anywhere near these numbers .331/.368/.592/.960 on a regular and continuing basis as compared to Napoli's 8-yr career numbers of .259/.356/.503/.858 or this year's numbers of .263/.349/.466/.814, then yes, I would go with the healthy 24-year old WB versus the 31-year old MN (with a suspect hip) who may accumulate 200 SO's by season's end.

As an addendum, in Napoli's previous 7-years, he's been to bat 2270 times and struck out 673 times. (His seasonal strikeouts have been 90, 63, 70, 103, 137, 85, 125.) That's on average 30% of the time or 1 strikeout every 3.4 times at bat. This year he's been to bat 247 times with 95 strikeouts, which is 38% or 1 strikeout every 2.6 at bats.

So as I earlier mentioned, if, and it's a big if, WM gets back on track and displays the potential that the team thinks he has, moving him to 1B midseason might further bolster and strengthen the team's already potent offense.

I rest my case. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts