I'm ready to gamble...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: I'm ready to gamble...

Mike Napoli has a career strikeout rate of 26.2 percent and a career walk rate of 11.7 percent while Will Middlebrooks has a career strikeout rate of 26.1 percent and a career walk rate of 4.2 percent.

Even with his slugging reputation, Middlebrooks has a career ISO (isolated power) rating of only .212 to Napoli's career ISO of .244.

I can't see the Red Sox replacing a 1.5 WAR* player (in 67 games this year) with a negative 0.6 WAR player (in 52 games).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

to replace napoli with middlebrooks is asinine.  if farrell, lucchino et al. did this they would be  buffoons.

why on earth would you replace a proven MLB player that is producing with a 1 hit wonder that doesnt seem to have what it takes to produce at the ML level??  and then have that 1 hit wonder play in a position (1b) that lord only knows if he can play there???  idiotic.

dear baseball gods, please provide posters with a shred of intelligence.  thank you.

napoli > middlebrooks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

But he's not replacing Napoli with Middlebrooks.  He's replacing him with Bogaerts.  Now Xander has all the potential in the world, but he's had what, 1 week at AAA?

Sorry, dumb idea.  I don't like Napoli's strike out rate either, but he is what he is and that is an established major league hitter whose been a pretty good extra base/RBI guy this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Here's what is wrong with the thesis in the OP:  the Sox ain't broken. 

In fact, they have the best record in the AL and a 2.5 game lead in the AL East.  And their success is about more than statistics because it's obvious the chemistry is very good.  A dramatic series of moves--the "gamble"-- would almost certainly undercut the chemistry.  Farrell and Cherington clearly know what they are doing.  The OP just as clearly does not know what he is doing--other than spouting nonsense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Mike Napoli has a career strikeout rate of 26.2 percent and a career walk rate of 11.7 percent while Will Middlebrooks has a career strikeout rate of 26.1 percent and a career walk rate of 4.2 percent.

Even with his slugging reputation, Middlebrooks has a career ISO (isolated power) rating of only .212 to Napoli's career ISO of .244.

I can't see the Red Sox replacing a 1.5 WAR* player (in 67 games this year) with a negative 0.6 WAR player (in 52 games).

according to http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/napolmi01.shtml

Mike Napoli has from 2006 to the present an 8-year total 2517 AB and 768 SO. My calculator makes that 30.5 %

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Here's what is wrong with the thesis in the OP:  the Sox ain't broken. 

In fact, they have the best record in the AL and a 2.5 game lead in the AL East.  And their success is about more than statistics because it's obvious the chemistry is very good.  A dramatic series of moves--the "gamble"-- would almost certainly undercut the chemistry.  Farrell and Cherington clearly know what they are doing.  The OP just as clearly does not know what he is doing--other than spouting nonsense. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.  Happy trails.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

according to http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/napolmi01.shtml

Mike Napoli has from 2006 to the present an 8-year total 2517 AB and 768 SO. My calculator makes that 30.5 %

Strikeout rates are calculated on plate appearances (not at-bats):

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3057&position=C

Will Middlebrooks should not be permitted to use his inability to take walks to lower his strikeout rate.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

WHY do you want to shake up a 1st place team?

Also WHY do we want to bench Nap's 49 ribs?

I am shaking my head in confusion.

My brain melted reading the OP.

I still have faith that Middlebrooks will come around. But still -- he wants to replace a guy batting .261 with 9 home runs and 49 RBIs with a guy batting .199 with nine home runs and 25 RBIs. Makes no sense.

And on top of that, he wants to bring up an unproven rookie with minimal Triple-A experience and put him in a power position in a pennant race.

All this shakeup for a first-place team.

Makes no sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Plus -- Middlebrooks has never played 1B. He might end up moving there, but it will be after an offseason when they prepare him to make the move.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Apparently some responders did not take the time to read my original post in its entirety or missed some of the prequalifications.  Or perhaps I was not explicit enough. So just to clarify my premise:

"Sooo, suppose the Sox send Middlebrooks to AAA to regain his swing and confidence, get 100% healthy and strength back in his wrist, AND give him a 1B mitt and top tutor to learn the position.  Then, play Iglesias at 3B, day-in-day-out, and see if he's the real deal, while also playing Xander Bogaerts regularly at 3B at Pawtucket."

Then, and I emphasize 'then', after the All Star break, perhaps the beginning of August, if everything comes together,"

As for Middlebrooks learning a new position midseason, just look at what is happening in Atlanta. The recent return of Brian McCann to the Braves looked like the end of Evan Gattis's bid for Rookie of the Year. Yet now Gattis is learning to play the outfield on the fly.

Making "the big move" is predicated on the evaluation of the success and performance of Middlebrooks, Iglesias and Bogaerts.  Just as decisions were made regarding Machado, Myers, Goldschmidt, to name but a few young players from other teams that have burst onto the scene, the Sox would have to see some explosive performances via this trial balloon before making "the big move". 

That being said, it seems to me to be a 'low-risk, high-reward' strategy. 

And the upside is, (or downside, depending on your perspective) if 'this dog don't hunt', then you go with the hand that was dealt ya', namely Drew and Napoli.

Sections
Shortcuts