Impact of injuries vs. trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Impact of injuries vs. trades

The title hopes of many teams have been dashed when a pitching staff is decimated by injuries.

Is the overall impact on a team any different when a pitching staff is decimated by trades?

Would the remaining players have responded any differently if the Red Sox had lost Jon Lester, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Andrew Miller to injuries instead of to trades? Would the Sox be more likely to rally if the absent players were on a nearby disabled list instead of competing for opposing clubs?

Many factors could contribute to the current listless state of the Red Sox but I wonder about the psychological impact of the front office's deliberate decison to gut the pitching staff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Impact of injuries vs. trades

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The title hopes of many teams have been dashed when a pitching staff is decimated by injuries.

Is the overall impact on a team any different when a pitching staff is decimated by trades?

Would the remaining players have responded any differently if the Red Sox had lost Jon Lester, John Lackey, Jake Peavy, Felix Doubront and Andrew Miller to injuries instead of to trades? Would the Sox be more likely to rally if the absent players were on a nearby disabled list instead of competing for opposing clubs?

Many factors could contribute to the current listless state of the Red Sox but I wonder about the psychological impact of the front office's deliberate decison to gut the pitching staff.

[/QUOTE]

That's certainly a reasonable concern.  

I woke up the morning after the trade deadline asking myself how I could possibly set foot on field today thinking we have even a chance to win if I were the Sox players.  I have to give them credit though, they're still playing hard and like professionals.  However, I do sense a difference between this years team and last years in that last year they expected to win and this year they're hoping they will win.  
    [object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

It happens every year....  Thats how/why we won in 2013 !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It happens every year....  Thats how/why we won in 2013 !!!

[/QUOTE]

BINGO DAT!  

Man, this board needs a 'eye roll' emoticon.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the impact of almost 5 months of playing losing baseball is what is wearing them down.

Whether the Sox lose Lester and Lackey to injuries or a trade, The Sox would still need to give a lot of innings to guys like Webster and Workman.

They may be adequate pitchers in the future, but right now, they're not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Its not the Pitching, its hitting with men on especially RISP. Last year we were 3rd in Average (.278) and 1st in runs scored 663 runs, with RISP.

This year we are 28th, (.233)  with 378 runs scored to this point. Big difference.
    Another thing, speed kills. Last year we had 123 stolen bases, combine that with Clutch hitting, and your scoring runs. This year we have 42 stolen bases, and terrible clutch hitting.
    Without speed you better be a better situational hitting team with Power.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

When you lose someone via injury you get no one back in return. At least in a trade you (hopefully) get someone of value who can help your team. I would think injuries are more devastating to a team, therefore.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you lose someone via injury you get no one back in return. At least in a trade you (hopefully) get someone of value who can help your team. I would think injuries are more devastating to a team, therefore.

[/QUOTE]

theoretically after the trade sox should have been better 3 out of every 5 days

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was gutted, but Doubront was junk, Peavey is a free agent to be and they got a great package for him, Lackey was questionable, but they got a good package for him, Lester was going to walk at this point anyway but they got a great #4 hitter. Miller was the only trade I questioned, but I'm not privy to what the contract negotiations (if any) were like with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was gutted, but Doubront was junk, Peavey is a free agent to be and they got a great package for him, Lackey was questionable, but they got a good package for him, Lester was going to walk at this point anyway but they got a great #4 hitter. Miller was the only trade I questioned, but I'm not privy to what the contract negotiations (if any) were like with him.

[/QUOTE]

I like Miller and wish we'd extended him, but that deal might actually turn out the best of all...we traded 2 months of a reliever approaching free agency for a LHP pitching prospect who is almost a year younger than Henry Owens and has been dominating Double-A since the trade.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

theoretically after the trade sox should have been better 3 out of every 5 days

[/QUOTE]

The Sox did not make these trades with this year in mind, obviously. I think Hill was referring to teams in contention, and that was certainly what I was referring to. And...........I think you KNOW that. Perhaps these trades will work out well eventually.