Importance of Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Importance of Ellsbury

I think Jacoby had as much to do with CC's downfall last night as Ortiz (or maybe you could blame Girardi for getting swept up in the HBP thing and Ortiz bat flap the other night). Jacoby battled and battled CC in his at bats. It was frustrating I think for Sabbathia, which is exactly what you want out of a leadoff hitter. This has just been a great start for the Comeback Player of the Year. Because he causes havoc on the basepaths, but now can hit both lefties and righties, he is a terror for opposing pitchers. Go Jacoby!!! Go Sox!!!
    signed,
    B's Goodwill Tour 2011

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Importance of Ellsbury

ha! danny your going for 2 for 2 this morning. now your gonna get softy's back up praising jacoby.............where did the bellsbury come from?

GO SOX
    BO BRUINS!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]ha! danny your going for 2 for 2 this morning. now your gonna get softy's back up praising jacoby.............where did the bellsbury come from? GO SOX BO BRUINS!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]
     hammah, there was a promotion back in 07 i think where ells stole a base and everyone got a free taco at taco bell, so someone christened him Taco bellsbury.  Softy obviously using it as a slight about the hype in 07 for Ells that he hates so much.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hammah, I am a big Jacoby fan. I won't deny he takes interesting routes to flyballs and seems to have his biggest trouble going back on balls when he is playing shallow (a valid criticism of his defense, not this UZR stuff). It killed me that he had to move to LF for Cameron, and I do feel it was karma-esque that he got murdered by Beltre 1-2-3, the runaway train. But he's healthy and he's answering critics, and clearly he's showing that the importance of a quality leadoff hitter to the lineup. Crawford is making a great rebound from a rough start, but in some respects it's Jacoby who is taking the pressure off of Carl. It's great, right now team is just on a roll.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]Hammah, I am a big Jacoby fan. I won't deny he takes interesting routes to flyballs and seems to have his biggest trouble going back on balls when he is playing shallow (a valid criticism of his defense, not this UZR stuff). It killed me that he had to move to LF for Cameron, and I do feel it was karma-esque that he got murdered by Beltre 1-2-3, the runaway train. But he's healthy and he's answering critics, and clearly he's showing that the importance of a quality leadoff hitter to the lineup. Crawford is making a great rebound from a rough start, but in some respects it's Jacoby who is taking the pressure off of Carl. It's great, right now team is just on a roll.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

yep! when yer hot yer hot.....and the best thing to do is hold on and enjoy the ride.........absolutely agree with you about jacoby. man, get him on first base and you know he's gonna make all hell break loose. like space said....a couple of greenies and maybe a 32 oz duncan icecoffee and whoooooooooouh......

let the streak continue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Importance of Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]I think Jacoby had as much to do with CC's downfall last night as Ortiz (or maybe you could blame Girardi for getting swept up in the HBP thing and Ortiz bat flap the other night). Jacoby battled and battled CC in his at bats. It was frustrating I think for Sabbathia, which is exactly what you want out of a leadoff hitter. This has just been a great start for the Comeback Player of the Year. Because he causes havoc on the basepaths, but now can hit both lefties and righties, he is a terror for opposing pitchers. Go Jacoby!!! Go Sox!!! signed, B's Goodwill Tour 2011

Even after last night, Ells is still hitting below his career averages against LHP's, although it's nice to see his OPS vs LHP back above .700 again (.706).  He is absolutely mashing RHP this season with a line of .324/.382/.511.

Now for a random, but interesting observation.

Ells' 2011 line:     .310/.370/.476  2011 UZR: -0.8
    Youk's 2011 line: .255/.380/.466  2011 UZR: -2.1

Obviously because of their skill sets, Ells belongs at the top of the order, while Youk is a middle of the order bat, but Ells compares pretty favorably to a clean up hitter so far in 2011.  Hopefully he can continue improving, even just to his career averages) against LHP.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I think Jacoby had as much to do with CC's downfall last night as Ortiz (or maybe you could blame Girardi for getting swept up in the HBP thing and Ortiz bat flap the other night). Jacoby battled and battled CC in his at bats. It was frustrating I think for Sabbathia, which is exactly what you want out of a leadoff hitter. This has just been a great start for the Comeback Player of the Year. Because he causes havoc on the basepaths, but now can hit both lefties and righties, he is a terror for opposing pitchers. Go Jacoby!!! Go Sox!!! signed, B's Goodwill Tour 2011

Jacoby is having a great season so far, I really hope it continues and he gets chosen for the All Star game.  Yes, he is very important to this team I can't wait for Crawford and Youk to break out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

His at-bat in the seventh was fantastic. Got behind 0-2 with two outs. Battled back and stuck a single through the right side to break the tie.

He's been everything I hoped he be this year. Actually, maybe even more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Importance of Ellsbury : His at-bat in the seventh was fantastic. Got behind 0-2 with two outs. Battled back and stuck a single through the right side to break the tie. He's been everything I hoped he be this year. Actually, maybe even more.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

... but he plays too deep and doesn't get good reads ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The guy has been awesome as a leadoff hitter. .356/.408/.511 for a .919 OPS leading off the game. As the leadoff hitter his OPS is .863 with an OBP of .385. He has scored 36 runs and driven in another 20, discounting the RBI from the 4 HR he has as the leadoff hitter, he has produced 56 runs in 50 games at leadoff.

He won't stay that hot but he has proven what Francona often says to be true, "we are at our best when Jacoby is at the top of the line-up".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : ... but he plays too deep and doesn't get good reads ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Oh, of course. Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : ... but he plays too deep and doesn't get good reads ...

Spaceman, your right Jacoby does have a hard time with certain reads.  I would love to see Crawford given a shot in CF and Jacoby back in L just to see how it works.  When Kalish was up last season I felt he might be a very good CF at some point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : Oh, of course. Thanks, I forgot to mention that.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that Wake should be DFA.  He is fat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : Spaceman, your right Jacoby does have a hard time with certain reads.  I would love to see Crawford given a shot in CF and Jacoby back in L just to see how it works.  When Kalish was up last season I felt he might be a very good CF at some point.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

That would be an interesting experiment.  though, thus far, I am not sure Crawford has any better jumps than ells.  He seems to have trouble guaging the ball sometimes.  But, truth be told, I actually have no issue with Ells in center.  I was just firing off the only bullet left in Softlaw/BetterredThanDeads's .45 magnum of Bellsbury-Hate.  Sure, he sometimes makes bad reads, and pulls up on balls more than I would like.  Conversely, he also tracks some balls that no one on earth (save maybe crawford) could get to, so it mitigates his mistakes to some degree.  Enough that i don't think he is as horrible as his few remaining detractors make him out to be.  Given his offense, I'll take the occasional gaffe in the field.  As i said, i think he makes up for it with plays only he could make.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : Don't forget that Wake should be DFA.  He is fat.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]
    And selfish, cocky, ... let's see, what else ... has bad breath ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Ellsbury is a very bad force and a confidence killer for a pitcher...his bunt stance at bat against CC to draw a walk was exceptional..he's comin' into it now....big time bad....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : Spaceman, your right Jacoby does have a hard time with certain reads.  I would love to see Crawford given a shot in CF and Jacoby back in L just to see how it works.  When Kalish was up last season I felt he might be a very good CF at some point.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]There was a reason no matter how mad Maddon got at the often spacey Upton he never put Carl Crawford in CF. It by far has the hardest read in the OF, the ball straight at you. Since 2007 CC appeared in CF three times, since 2009 zero.

Maddon had a pretty good read on how it would work IMO, he is an excellent manager and if it was an option given how he has beneched Upton and is frustrated by the lack of focus I think he would have made the switch if it would have worked.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : That would be an interesting experiment.  though, thus far, I am not sure Crawford has any better jumps than ells.  He seems to have trouble guaging the ball sometimes.  But, truth be told, I actually have no issue with Ells in center.  I was just firing off the only bullet left in Softlaw/BetterredThanDeads's .45 magnum of Bellsbury-Hate.  Sure, he sometimes makes bad reads, and pulls up on balls more than I would like.  Conversely, he also tracks some balls that no one on earth (save maybe crawford) could get to, so it mitigates his mistakes to some degree.  Enough that i don't think he is as horrible as his few remaining detractors make him out to be.  Given his offense, I'll take the occasional gaffe in the field.  As i said, i think he makes up for it with plays only he could make.  

Very true, Manny was a perfect example of meaning more to the team than just making every defensive play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

where is softy on this?let me help-ellsbury avg 310 rbi 32-obp 370-slg 476 and sb 24.Tongue out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]where is softy on this?let me help-ellsbury avg 310 rbi 32-obp 370-slg 476 and sb 24.
    Posted by canetime[/QUOTE]

Softy is quiet right now because the Bellsbury at bat was the key to the game/inning.  Of that there is no doubt.  So, no zig zag to the ball, no caught stealing, just a big league tough at bat where he got the best of CC and got the inning really rolling.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : Softy is quiet right now because the Bellsbury at bat was the key to the game/inning.  Of that there is no doubt.  So, no zig zag to the ball, no caught stealing, just a big league tough at bat where he got the best of CC and got the inning really rolling.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]Nah. On field performance has never gotten in the way before.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Softy can't post right now...he is dealing with rotten, dead crow blocking his windpipe.

Forget the Ells to LF thing guys, he is a very solid CFer and awesome leadoff hitter. Just sit back and enjoy the "show". Go Ells!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury : And selfish, cocky, ... let's see, what else ... has bad breath ...
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]is a menace to society...a bad influence on Lowrie and Ellsbury, works tirelessly behind the scenes to get Francona fired.. 

Sections
Shortcuts