Importance of Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Importance of Ellsbury

No way the FO spends to replace Drew. No need to.
    Plenty of farm depth at this position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Importance of Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]It amazes me how betterdead can keep insisting that Kalish and Reddick represent better value than Ellsbury When your reading comprehension goes past illeterate, you will understand that Kalish and Reddick with whoever Ellsbury is traded for is how the value is determned. As for the when, I don't think there is one word about a trade this month. Trades are almost raised to sell low and buy high. Discussing trades in anticipation of the long term future which involves selling high is beyond the brain cell capability of nearly all fans. It's also beyond the brain cell activity of a lot of GM's.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

One of the many reasons Theo Epstein is smarter than you.  You don't always have to sell high when the player in question is not making millions.  If you sell high now as you say, you could upset the chemistry that the team obviously has right now.  If Ellsbury decides to leave and the the Sox get pick, I can live with that.  The Sox have done really well with supplemental picks and would more than likely do well in Ellsbury's case.  Your ridiculous arguments leave you in can't lose positions.  If Ellsbury struggles, you bash him as terrible.  If he does well, you argue he should be moved before everyone realizes he is terrible.  How about the third option?  He's pretty good and should be in the Sox C for years to come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

There was a stooge in here with a thread last week, probably named Shemp, who wanted to trade Els for the Dodguh's Kemp.  Oh my gosh, what a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Sell high" only works if someone value Ellsbury more than his true worth.

A trade of Jacoby would net something worth the value of 2 years of Jacoby and a draft choice(s) when they lose him later.

True, he may hold more value in the NL, and some team may be RH'd heavy and be a good match for a trade, but until I see a proposal on the table, I can't see a trade being worth it. Jacoby is at the front door of prime as we speak. He's a "tweener" in the respect that a team looking to trade for the near future may offer someone with more years of control than Jacoby, but he wont be better. A team looking to rebuild for the distant future will no even consider Jacoby as a trade possibility, since he will want big buck in 2 years. A team looking to win now, would want to give us prospects for Jacoby: that ain't happening. Finding a team to match up could be near impossible. Trading Jacoby and someone else to "upgrade", in theory, could work, but the other team would need to match up just right. 

This whole Kemp thing makes no sense to me. If LA is looking to start over, Jacoby is not the guy. He's only under control for one more year than Kemp. If they want to win now of next year, how is Jacoby and "Lowrie" going to bring them father than Kemp? Lowrie may not even play except vs LHPs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I think if Ells keeps playing this way the sox will either have to pony up, which Id like to see, or get the 2 picks.the way hes playing ,He should be typeA... (in 2 more years ). But Im just going to enjoy the best leadoff hitter on"my team" for the next 2.5 years..

The Sox won't pony up, dim bulb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Remember the InEpstein axiom:

Pay for a career high year for a FA contract and wait until the entire world knows a Red Sox player who is "short" just came off a career low or high year and then panic by buying high and selling low.

Let's talk about Ellsbury, the career average metric Ellsbury, the one who skipped a year to avoid playing less than 100% and had a year to freshen up. The one who won't be extended and the one who will not defy his career averages over the full sample. That guy.

There is a guarantee he will not be extended. There is also no guarantee the new CBA will provide current draft compensation.

Bellsbury, in the last May Elias rankings, is not either a Class A or Class B rated player.

Carl Crawford is already an obligation that Boras will look to pyramid offers.

The Red Sox have Carl Crawford and a scad of lefty OF farm hands.

The Red Sox do not have a solid young RH OF major league talent.

But, hey, wait until Boras gets closer to FA day and send him "lock him up offers" for Bellsbury. Even an ape can do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some dim bulb tried to argue last year that Ellsbury didn't lose any value by not playing last year and having one less year of team control. He expected Jacoby to have a season similar to his career numbers and said he should be dealt quickly before his value sinks any lower. To him, this past winter was the best time.

Now, imagine what we could have gotten for Jacoby before this year started vs his current value to this team at this moment. It's insane to think we could/would have gotten anything near what he has given us thus far.

Now, that burnt out bulb is scrambling backwards kicking up dust as a smokescreen to hide his ignorance and complete misunderstanding o what nearing prime can improve a players production value. I seriously doubt any GM saw this coming and would have paid accordingly in trade.

Trading someone just before his best season is not "selling high"; it's stupidity.

Your bulb is a blacklight that distorts reality and gives false impressions of brightness.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

His career averages is what he is. The control clock is now down from last winter, and is a negative factor in his trade value.

It's June, Moonslow, and "saw this coming" turns into the same thing that happens with almost every steep short sample peak, it falls back to the handicap called career averages.

And, although "imagine" isn't reality because more GM"s are now forced to ignore couple months spike and paying more attention to career averages because of a bad economy that has a lot of exposed boats that are grounded and headed towards bankruptcy. Uncle Democrat Party Sam is de facto bankrupt and cutting dimes of waste and spending trillions of printed and borrowed money;)

But, let's assume you are right and Ellsbury has gone from an ObamaNation dollar to a gold mine in a few months time. Since you would keep Ellsbury through 2013 and hope to get a draft pick or two, what difference does his market value make on any given day?  As for what's the driving productive force behind the offense on this team, take a look at AGon and Ortiz, a mere footnote on the the great Crawbury "setting the tone and carrying the offense". 

While current 2011 chemistry should not be changed at the moment, I submit that trading Ellsbury now would be a shrewd GM move instead of the modus of our GM ape.  I'm not too worried that InEpstein will, well before Ellsbury's FA party, rain on his parade because he'll be a way to mitigate the Crawford value mistake by cashing out on Ellsbury. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

hey red/softy; did ya ever imagine that maybe Theo and Co. just might WANT to resign him? Your lame Ape jokes were stale when you had the softlaw moniker....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hardly anyone extends a BorA$$ client before he reaches his first FA opportunity. It is highly unliekly Theo does. The point is, every GM knows this. Trading for Ellsbury will mean the team trading for him will give value basd on a set amount of years and the possibility of gaining a draft pick if he walks away at the end of the team's control.

Simply put, trading a player right as he is about likely to have his best 2-3 years of his career is not "selling high". Keeping players in their prime is how championships are won. For the clowns who do not believe in or understand the concept of "prime", not much more can be said.

Trading for a righty bat with less time under team control?
    Lunacy.

Trading for prospects as we go for a ring?
    Idiocy.

Trading for the sake of dumping a hated player?
    Clown logic.

The clown wants "Jke" to go to the NL, so (if) when he expodes, he can say he was right because his stats don't count in the "AAAA". His biggest fear is that Jacoby will have an OBP above .370 from 2011-2013 and blow away his "career numbers".

Yes, Jacoby may end up wit career numbers similar to whatthey are now, but that will be because the back end of his career (may) will bring it back down. It is a near certainty that Jacoby will have 2-4 years of above career numbers starting this year, and Theo wants to cash in on 3 or them. Sounds much brighter than a dim bulb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

exactly moon..I believe if they want to resign him, they will have their chance. But to give up 3 years of prime is not well thought out..ells should be a typeA, so if they cant resign him, bring on the picks and by then one of our OF prospects should be ready come 2014...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I can't understand all of the trade Ellsbury comments.  Even in this past off season.

"No GM's saw this coming".  I did.  Why wouldn't I?   He had a bad rib injury last year that was misdiagnosed aiding to him missing basically the entire year.  This has nothing to do with his overall play.

His first full season with the Sox he was good.  His 2nd full season he improved in practially every single category making him very good.  After his injury, why would we not expect him to continue on the way he was before his injury?  It is not like his injury caused a "Tommy John" surgery for a pitcher where there may be doubts.

Hence, he did just continue on.  As I figured he would.  So, he went from good, to very good, to great this year.   Yet many people didnt see this coming?  This wasn't rocket science to figure that this very well could have happened.  There wasn't any reason not feel that it was going to happen.

Now you hear things about trading him.   Keep him and extend him.  He is worth the big contract he will get when his times comes up.  There aren't many players on the Sox that I would rather keep.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

sjddaj  - Exactly, word for word agree with everything you said.

You look at his stats and you see an upward progression, and he's still just 27....there was every reason to believe he would come out full steam ahead this season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Softlaw: 'His career averages is what he is.'

Ellsbury has played in 414 major league games, about 2.5 seasons.     

Sure thing, anything you say. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]I can't understand all of the trade Ellsbury comments.  Even in this past off season. "No GM's saw this coming".  I did.  Why wouldn't I?   He had a bad rib injury last year that was misdiagnosed aiding to him missing basically the entire year.  This has nothing to do with his overall play. His first full season with the Sox he was good.  His 2nd full season he improved in practially every single category making him very good.  After his injury, why would we not expect him to continue on the way he was before his injury?  It is not like his injury caused a "Tommy John" surgery for a pitcher where there may be doubts. Hence, he did just continue on.  As I figured he would.  So, he went from good, to very good, to great this year.   Yet many people didnt see this coming?  This wasn't rocket science to figure that this very well could have happened.  There wasn't any reason not feel that it was going to happen. Now you hear things about trading him.   Keep him and extend him.  He is worth the big contract he will get when his times comes up.  There aren't many players on the Sox that I would rather keep.  
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

Agree fully with this...been saying this for a while now.. Ells has progressed each year (-2010) and now hes doing even better then ever this year..If JE keeps this progression up, he will be looking at a big payday in 2014 and im sure arbitration will be pretty good for the next 2 years too..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

This release from Major League Baseball:

Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury has been named the American League Player of the Week for the period ending June 12th.

In six games, Ellsbury batted .467 (14-for-30) with three doubles, one home run, four RBI and 10 runs scored on his way to earning his first career A.L. Player of the Week honor and the third in as many weeks for the Red Sox. Teammates Carl Crawford (week ending May 30th) and David Ortiz (week ending June 6th) each captured the award the previous two weeks

The fifth-year veteran led the A.L. in runs scored and hits, was tied for second in stolen bases (2), was third in batting average and was tied for fourth in on-base percentage (.500) and total bases (20). On June 7th at Yankee Stadium, Ellsbury led off with a home run and later doubled as the Red Sox topped the Yankees, 6-4, in the opener of a three-game set. It was his fourth career leadoff home run and his first since September 26, 2008. On Thursday, the 23rd overall pick of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored as the Red Sox defeated the Yankees, 8-3, sweeping their rivals for the second time in 2011. Boston has won eight of nine games this season against the Bronx Bombers, with Ellsbury hitting .371 (13-for-35) with four doubles, one home run, six RBI and seven runs scored against the Yanks this season.

On June 10th, the Madras, Oregon native went 3-for-5 with a double and three runs scored as Boston topped the Blue Jays, 5-1, at the Rogers Centre. It was ninth time this season that Ellsbury has collected at least three hits in a game. On Sunday, the Oregon State University product singled twice and scored three runs as the Red Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays, 14-1, extending their current winning streak to nine games and completing their third consecutive sweep.

Ellsbury is in the midst of a 10-game hitting streak, batting .429 (21-for-49) with four doubles, one home run, six RBI and five stolen bases over the stretch, and has recorded multiple hits in six consecutive games. He has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 contests.

Heading into play today, the 27-year-old leads the A.L. in stolen bases (24), is second in hits (84) and doubles (21), third in runs scored (49), sixth in batting average (.318) and 11th in on-base percentage (.376).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Remember the InEpstein axiom: Pay for a career high year for a FA contract and wait until the entire world knows a Red Sox player who is "short" just came off a career low or high year and then panic by buying high and selling low. Let's talk about Ellsbury, the career average metric Ellsbury, the one who skipped a year to avoid playing less than 100% and had a year to freshen up. The one who won't be extended and the one who will not defy his career averages over the full sample. That guy. There is a guarantee he will not be extended. There is also no guarantee the new CBA will provide current draft compensation. Bellsbury, in the last May Elias rankings, is not either a Class A or Class B rated player. Carl Crawford is already an obligation that Boras will look to pyramid offers. The Red Sox have Carl Crawford and a scad of lefty OF farm hands. The Red Sox do not have a solid young RH OF major league talent. But, hey, wait until Boras gets closer to FA day and send him "lock him up offers" for Bellsbury. Even an ape can do it.

Are you not having fun watching Bells play these days?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I didn't want to read all of Softy's usual nonsense.  My question is...who was the last GM who traded his leadoff hitter in the midst of an historic winning run and in first place because that player's value was high?  The Sox are not just in the race, they are in first place.  If you trade your leadoff hitter in season and begin to struggle, that gets you ridiculed and fired.  It is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.  even if you believe Jacoby is not the future of the team, you trade him after the season. This is not even worth the key stokes to discuss it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Hardly anyone extends a BorA$$ client before he reaches his first FA opportunity. It is highly unliekly Theo does. The point is, every GM knows this. Trading for Ellsbury will mean the team trading for him will give value basd on a set amount of years and the possibility of gaining a draft pick if he walks away at the end of the team's control.

Brilliant, stating the obvious on how the business usually works for many players who reach that stage.

Simply put, trading a player right as he is about likely to have his best 2-3 years of his career is not "selling high".

Of course it is, because "likely" isn't a sure bet at all and if what he is traded for is a better long term fit. Imagine that..........

Keeping players in their prime is how championships are won. For the clowns who do not believe in or understand the concept of "prime", not much more can be said.

So, why is Ortiz still here, hitting well v. LHP? Building and planning that maintains the proper balance of present and future is how championships are won. Keeping all players in their prime is patently absurd.

Trading for a righty bat with less time under team control?
    Lunacy.

Trading for a solid young RH OF'er and reaching an extension with or knowing that it's likely an extension will be reached is above an ape's intelligence but not yours.
    Trading for prospects as we go for a ring?
    Idiocy.

You aren't going for a "ring", and who said anything about "trading for prospects".

Trading for the sake of dumping a hated player?
    Clown logic.

Trading for the sake of getting a better player and long term fit isn't the ape logic you employ. I understand that criticism and difference of opinion on the skillset and wisdom of keeping a popular player to FA is going to make you angry, but use your hate to be more productive than bullying on a sports message board. We disagree, Moonslow, get over it. 

The clown wants "Jke" to go to the NL, so (if) when he expodes, he can say he was right because his stats don't count in the "AAAA". His biggest fear is that Jacoby will have an OBP above .370 from 2011-2013 and blow away his "career numbers".

I want the Red Sox to get a better overall OF'er and long term fit, despite your angry delusions.

I have no fear whatsoever that that he will average .370 OBP over that time frame, and am quite certain that he will average at or within less than 10 points of where his career average is. But you are the same guy who thought he was this really good defensive centerfielder, and only admitted he wasn't when it was later manifest from the metrics. You don't have any insight, you simply react after the fact.

Yes, Jacoby may end up wit career numbers similar to whatthey are now, but that will be because the back end of his career (may) will bring it back down. It is a near certainty that Jacoby will have 2-4 years of above career numbers starting this year, and Theo wants to cash in on 3 or them.

It's a near certainty that "above average career numbers" could be one point to 30 points. It's a certainty that he will have career numbers over the next (what is it 2 or 4) 4 years that are less than 10 points from his career averages.

Theo wont' be cashing in on anything, he'll be reacting after the fact. In fact, given your doting comments, even with Boras, Theo could have locked up Bellsbury this winter by offering anything close to the years and base that he foolishly paid for Crawford. Fortunately for the Red Sox, that never happened. Nonetheless, he's cashed his wagon on Crawford and would be the ultimate fool if he "cashes in" on Bellsbury. It's either trade him to some big NL market with a GM who thinks like you do and intends to pay him beyond FA, and get a solid young proven star MLB player long term fit to extend or likely extend in return, or pay him 10 to 20 M over the next two years and hope he doesn't return to his career OBP average and that the new CBA retains the draft compensation/FA and Ellsbury ends up the Type A FA that he isn't right now. 

The flawed premise is that but for Ellsbury this team drops a notch with his comparable value replacement.

If Ortiz keeps a semblance of his current form, and AGon, Pedroia and Youk and Crawford and Lester, Buch, Beckett, Papelbon and Bard stay healthy and effective, a solid defensive CF replacement for Ellsbury (even with a weak bat and low .300's OBP and 20 to 25 steals) would net out almost no difference to how championship likely this team is. But the long term plan, could have been implemented at any point starting this winter to next winter, is to get a better long term fit and likely a better overall player. No, you hateful hack, there is no way anyone would even consider dealing the best leadoff hitter in baseball in the prime of his career. To that I say:

1. He's not the best leadoff hitter in baseball beyond a month, even though there isn't a better lineup in baseball in front of the guy, and he will not sustain the 2011 OBP numbers to June even though he's followed by the best lineup on baseball.

2. He is not a long term value and fit

This Board is made of the same people who were hysterical over Lowrie's start to the season, and were hateful and brutal towards Ortiz in 2009 and 2010.

This Board is dominated by two or three bullies who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

www.boston.com/sports/redsox/extrabases/L39/172542345/SPONSOR/boston/m_jetblue040611_sport_SPONSOR-xb/100x40_sport_041211.html/536b4e2f52303378384a3041447a5133?_RM_EMPTY_&pagetype=section_folder&RM_Exclude=exclude_section_folder" alt="" width="0" height="0" />
    www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/">

www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/ellsbury_named.html">Ellsbury named AL player of the week

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff June 13, 2011 04:21 PM

This release from Major League Baseball:

Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury has been named the American League Player of the Week for the period ending June 12th.

In six games, Ellsbury batted .467 (14-for-30) with three doubles, one home run, four RBI and 10 runs scored on his way to earning his first career A.L. Player of the Week honor and the third in as many weeks for the Red Sox. Teammates Carl Crawford (week ending May 30th) and David Ortiz (week ending June 6th) each captured the award the previous two weeks

The fifth-year veteran led the A.L. in runs scored and hits, was tied for second in stolen bases (2), was third in batting average and was tied for fourth in on-base percentage (.500) and total bases (20). On June 7th at Yankee Stadium, Ellsbury led off with a home run and later doubled as the Red Sox topped the Yankees, 6-4, in the opener of a three-game set. It was his fourth career leadoff home run and his first since September 26, 2008. On Thursday, the 23rd overall pick of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored as the Red Sox defeated the Yankees, 8-3, sweeping their rivals for the second time in 2011. Boston has won eight of nine games this season against the Bronx Bombers, with Ellsbury hitting .371 (13-for-35) with four doubles, one home run, six RBI and seven runs scored against the Yanks this season.

On June 10th, the Madras, Oregon native went 3-for-5 with a double and three runs scored as Boston topped the Blue Jays, 5-1, at the Rogers Centre. It was ninth time this season that Ellsbury has collected at least three hits in a game. On Sunday, the Oregon State University product singled twice and scored three runs as the Red Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays, 14-1, extending their current winning streak to nine games and completing their third consecutive sweep.

Ellsbury is in the midst of a 10-game hitting streak, batting .429 (21-for-49) with four doubles, one home run, six RBI and five stolen bases over the stretch, and has recorded multiple hits in six consecutive games. He has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 contests.

Heading into play today, the 27-year-old leads the A.L. in stolen bases (24), is second in hits (84) and doubles (21), third in runs scored (49), sixth in batting average (.318) and 11th in on-base percentage (.376).

... not bad,  eh?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]sjddaj  - Exactly, word for word agree with everything you said. You look at his stats and you see an upward progression, and he's still just 27....there was every reason to believe he would come out full steam ahead this season. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He started driving the ball in the second half of 2009 and except for the injury year small sample he has progressively gotten even better.

Lots of us predicted a big year for him in 2010 and here is another bold prediction...I think he's going to continue to improve! I don't think he has peaked even yet. I recognize that he was player of the week last week so he may not top the past week but overall his average and pop may well improve before the year is done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I didn't see him "driving the ball" in the 2nd half of 2009.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't see him "driving the ball" in the 2nd half of 2009.

I'm convinced that you don't even watch the games!

"I'm so good at cutting & pasting endess reams of meaningless baseball stats!"

"I must be right!"

"They're all just dim bulbs!"

"They can't see what I see!"

"Maaaa!   Is dinner almost ready!"

"For God's sake Ma!  Just bring it down to the cella!"

"I can't come up!  You haven't finished my laundry!"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I know it sucks for you Softy but Ellsbury is actually pretty good.  He is a long term fit for the Sox and they will try to keep him.  If they can't because Boras gets him a great deal then the Sox will take the picks and then you will get your wish to be rid of him. BTW, Money ball franchise leaders like the supplemental picks better than what could be gotten back via trade.

Finally, what is the need to debate the merits of Ellsbury over and over?  Everyone knows you want him gone.  You know many want him to remain.  Given those two facts, why not just enjoy the success while it lasts?  There is no negative right now given how well the team and the player is playing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Did Ellsbury run over your dog or something???

Sections
Shortcuts