In all my years (early 1950's) of watching the SOX, I have never seen a glove @ S S, like IGGY.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In all my years (early 1950's) of watching the SOX, I have never seen a glove @ S S, like IGGY.....

Did you see the 2  D P's so far tonight against the YANK$ ????  Bobby V. was right on about this guy........  Your SS of the next 10+ years !!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: In all my years (early 1950's) of watching the SOX, I have never seen a glove @ S S, like IGGY.....

He has kept Lester in the game so far.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: In all my years (early 1950's) of watching the SOX, I have never seen a glove @ S S, like IGGY.....

He negates the DH, he needs to hit 250 with no power or 230ish with power to be a big league starter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He negates the DH, he needs to hit 250 with no power or 230ish with power to be a big league starter.

If you really look at his ABs, the kid has good plate discipline and has hit a lot of balls well. Unfortunately they have been right at people. 

He puts the ball in play and the hits and the avg will come.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Well, I've been watching since the mid-1930s and, yes, there have been a few---not many! Even the old Braves had one named Eddie Miller. He couldn't hit either, but fans paid there way in just to see him play! Iggy has the chance to be the same. If some idiot doesn't trade him!

I guess Ozzie Smith was the best, however. And my Dad once told me, "there'll never be another Honus". (And he could hit!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Did you see the 2  D P's so far tonight against the YANK$ ????  Bobby V. was right on about this guy........  Your SS of the next 10+ years !!!

One more year is all he gets. Improve dramatically with the bat or its "whats your hurry, here's your coat". No room on this team for players who cannot hit the baseball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think hes improved on his hitting somewhat. Iggy was doing better in August in AAA when he was called up. Needed to make more adjustments. People need to remember that hes only 22 and needed lots of work on his hitting and has played at an advanced level since coming to the Boston organization. His glove was already gold...To give up on him at 22 would be a huge mistake IMO. Most players dont develop into MLB hitters until 23-24 anyway...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think hes improved on his hitting somewhat. Iggy was doing better in August in AAA when he was called up. Needed to make more adjustments. People need to remember that hes only 22 and needed lots of work on his hitting and has played at an advanced level since coming to the Boston organization. His glove was already gold...To give up on him at 22 would be a huge mistake IMO. Most players dont develop into MLB hitters until 23-24 anyway...

with ya.

but do we give him the time at the major level or pawtucket?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I admit I have not watched him play. Can he run? 30+ stolen bases would be an assett. Can he bunt? Draw walks? If he can do these things, get on base enough then the glove is all the more golden.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I somewhat agree that many players don't develop into MLB hitters until 23-24 anyway. I do believe that those who do develop into MLB hitters were hitters at previous levels. Based on what I've seen and heard about Iggy, he has not been a good hitter wherever he's been. It's my opinion that he'll not hit above .220-.230 in the majors. His defense won't offset that kind of hitting on a contending team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I admit I have not watched him play. Can he run? 30+ stolen bases would be an assett. Can he bunt? Draw walks? If he can do these things, get on base enough then the glove is all the more golden.

Thanks ENCHI........  "Let me be clear",  I knew that we could find common ground !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If the team offense was not so bad overall I am all for a player like Iggy bein the full time SS. I wanted him up by June this year.... if he can run it only helps him turn his few hits.walks into doubles and ultimately runs scored.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

If the team offense was not so bad overall I am all for a player like Iggy bein the full time SS. I wanted him up by June this year.... if he can run it only helps him turn his few hits.walks into doubles and ultimately runs scored.

The fact that no one has come out to say "yeah, he can run" tells me he can't.

But, I'd say the Sox should be patient with the kid.

It's already been pointed out that he's just 22.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yeah I get that.... I have not seen him play this year..... I will have to read up on him... Hope he can stick.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2590

Says he has above average speed and should be able to turn that into an assett.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Alex Gonzalez wasn't to shabby in the field, and he had some pop. Lifetime .247 BA, 16 HRs and 71RBIs per 162 games.. If Iggy could match those numbers then I'd be all for him as the regular SS. He doesn't have a history of being a hitter like, say, Pedroia had. I'm afraid that Iggy's defense won't offset his lack of natural hitting ability. If players could be taught how to raise their averages 20 points, there would be a lot more hitting stars in MLB. I would be surprised if Iggy were to hit 16 HRs in 10 years or have 71 RBIs in 3 years total. I would move him while some still percieve him as a major league SS.

I moved to Florida in 1984, on the east coast, Jensen Beach.

You graduated a year after I was born, my heroes were Ted, Malzone, Goodman, Mel Parnell, Jackie Jensen, Sammy White, Piersoll etc. and who could forget Don Buddin..lolol

Well, I've been watching since the mid-1930s and, yes, there have been a few---not many! Even the old Braves had one named Eddie Miller. He couldn't hit either, but fans paid there way in just to see him play! Iggy has the chance to be the same. If some idiot doesn't trade him!

I guess Ozzie Smith was the best, however. And my Dad once told me, "there'll never be another Honus". (And he could hit!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

How about that hit/error last night that cost us a run?  Sure he has a good glove but the kid cant hit.  Maybe he'll get it going sometime but until he does I dont want to see him on the major leauge roster.

Sections
Shortcuts