In an otherwise throuroughly depressing year ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In an otherwise thoroughly depressing year ...

here are the things, in ranked order, that have given me great Sox-fan-joy:

1. Big Papi - I have no interest in ranking him against Teddy Ballgame and Yaz.  But, seems like every week or so he is going into the Sox record books this year next to those guys.  What a year.  Average is down, sure, but pretty much inevitable given the black hole of an offense around him.  He is going 30+ and 100+ again - at the age of (Dominican) 38!  Wow.  To think, many balked at extending this legend.  Last year cemented his legacy.  This year cemented his first ballot Cooperstown ticket (go ahead, argue if you like, but thats what it is folks).

2. The kids (and not the ones we expected):  Night after night, Brock Holt has swung a John Henry (the myth, not the owner) hammer at the giant mountain of Journeyman Utility Guy label he has been stuck with, and he has busted right through it.  The only question now is where does he play next year.  Rubby De La Rosa, hereftofor a big question mark of talent but uncertain skill, is a bona fide rotation guy and his ceiling is still very high.  His development of a nasty change-up was a surprise and a promising sign for even more development.  And, Christian Vasquez - love him.  the D was heralded of course.  But his bat has been a nice surprise.  Gap power, nice swing, not afraid of pressure moments -a major league hitter to go with the all world catching.  Yadier-lite.  And to think, he might not even be the best C on the roster next year.  

3. Pedey - yeah, I know, the power is out.  But, just anecdotal, subjective evidence here, but, I swear he is playing the best second base of his stellar defensive career.  Seems like nightly he is making highlight plays.  Its just routine now.  We don't even notice.

4. Jackie Bradley Jr. in center.  yeah, kid would likely whiff against this Mo'one girl in Williamsport.  But, I have truly loved watching him play centerfield.  Best I have seen out there since Freddy Lynn.  I really hope he can get a semblance of a swing together with some winterball.  I want to see him for years to come patrolling CF.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: In an otherwise throuroughly depressing year ...

Here are my treats:

1. Big Papi hitting HRs, but hitting many that were game changers or helped the team win several of the few games that they have won. 

2. Brock Holt and Jackie Bradley making circus catches.

3. Watching Jon Lester at the top of his game, and enjoying Koji as closer.

Thank you for playing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Agree Space, although I think Jackie may be better than Fred.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think JBJ may be the best defensive CFer since say hey.

other names i have posted under:  none

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

3. Watching Jon Lester at the top of his game, and enjoying Koji as closer.

Agreed. I was going to add these two to Space's fine list.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

-Yankees stink too.

-Looking forward to watching Lester in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nice adds y'all.  I would have put Lester on the list too, but the trauma and pain is still too raw.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

I remember one game I watched at a bar and got really drunk. That was kind of fun.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Actually,  I will give PAPI his due......38 going on 44, having one heck of a year..... Just wish he could run !!

With your kind of compliments, who needs insults?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Actually,  I will give PAPI his due......38 going on 44, having one heck of a year..... Just wish he could run !!

[object HTMLDivElement]

I know, his triples are way down this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nice post Space.  I concur with your points and also those that have been added by other posters.  Even when the team is not doing well, as a baseball fan, there are always things that you can enjoy and appreciate in any baseball game.

On Vazquez, I will always take great defense, in particular, great handling of a pitching staff, over offense in a catcher.  So far the work behind the plate comes as advertised.

I've read posts where some have speculated that Vazquez might be packaged in a trade this offseason since Swihart is supposedly a better overall catcher.  That may be the case, but I will be very disappointed if Vazquez gets traded.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I'm down to my last warning, so I'll just say you only need one exclamation mark.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

1. Big Papi hitting HRs, but hitting many that were game changers or helped the team win several of the few games that they have won. 

Way to get in that plug for HRs winning games Danny.   ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Big-O. Show The-Big-O's posts

Depressing year is right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

And the continuing fairy tale career of Daniel Nava. He looked as good as done early in the season and has steadily raised his batting average since his return. This guy is an inspiration for us all. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

And the continuing fairy tale career of Daniel Nava. He looked as good as done early in the season and has steadily raised his batting average since his return. This guy is an inspiration for us all. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

DD, yes!  You just can't keep this guy down.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

For me the absolute highlight of this season has been Brock Hold. JBJ is my sentimental favorite and I hope he works out the hitting thing and gets back up to the majors...but Brock Holt? This guy just does it all and is fun to watch. #Brockstar

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

-Yankees stink too.

any port in a storm huh Nut? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Defensively, he spells desperation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Nava actually has good defensive numbers this season in both left and right fields.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Nice post Space.  I concur with your points and also those that have been added by other posters.  Even when the team is not doing well, as a baseball fan, there are always things that you can enjoy and appreciate in any baseball game.

On Vazquez, I will always take great defense, in particular, great handling of a pitching staff, over offense in a catcher.  So far the work behind the plate comes as advertised.

I've read posts where some have speculated that Vazquez might be packaged in a trade this offseason since Swihart is supposedly a better overall catcher.  That may be the case, but I will be very disappointed if Vazquez gets traded.

Same here. I like watching Vazquez play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Nava actually has good defensive numbers this season in both left and right fields.

Nava definitely catches the balls he can get to. "He can get to" is the key part of that statement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nava definitely catches the balls he can get to. "He can get to" is the key part of that statement.

No, you must be thinking of Jeter.

Nava has a RngR of 6.2 runs above average in right field.  RngR of 0 in left field.  Nothing that spells desperation.

Sections
Shortcuts