In Defense of Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416657. Show user_4416657's posts

Re: In Defense of Jon Lester

In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester : Ding ding ding! Couldn't agree more.  Lester looked pudgy.  Beer drinking or not, he wasn't in top shape.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Off topic but game 1 of the World Series starts tonight  Rays vs Brewers who is your pick?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Much ado about nothing but then this forum has that track record.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416657. Show user_4416657's posts

[QUOTE]Much ado about nothing but then this forum has that track record.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Hey Pike.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I know about track records.

I also am aware of what Gammons thought of the Hohler piece:

Baseball writer Peter Gammons:

“At this point, there’s so much swill out there, I need specific, I need names from references, because a report doesn’t have any validity unless it has a name behind it and secondly, when it happened and exactly when was it? Was it a rain delay, an eighth inning rain delay? More specifics,” Gammons said. “Otherwise it’s just so absurd at this point.”

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I know about track records. I also am aware of what Gammons thought of the Hohler piece: Baseball writer Peter Gammons: “At this point, there’s so much swill out there, I need specific, I need names from references, because a report doesn’t have any validity unless it has a name behind it and secondly, when it happened and exactly when was it? Was it a rain delay, an eighth inning rain delay? More specifics,” Gammons said. “Otherwise it’s just so absurd at this point.”
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Actually Harness that was in regards to the Channel 7 report. I don't think Peter has ever commented on the Hohler piece. This was all about guys drinking in the dugout. He may well think the same of Hohler's piece but the quote is from today's appearance on WEEI and he was talking about the latest swill.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I can't separate Hohler's swill from any other.
    Do you think Gammons can?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

oh please oh please oh please don't trade me for another wily mo, i still have some songs to sing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I know about track records. I also am aware of what Gammons thought of the Hohler piece: Baseball writer Peter Gammons: “At this point, there’s so much swill out there, I need specific, I need names from references, because a report doesn’t have any validity unless it has a name behind it and secondly, when it happened and exactly when was it? Was it a rain delay, an eighth inning rain delay? More specifics,” Gammons said. “Otherwise it’s just so absurd at this point.”
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with Gammons on this. Nice to see someone with the **** to finally say that. Good for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester : Kim is about feeding the beast. Almost every incident that has sent the Nation into over drive for those close the industry is not half as bad as it can be made to sound. Adrian Gonzalez sitting in front of his locker with a torn calf muscle he has played on for 5 weeks and crushed is asked for his thoughts and says "I guess it was God's will and gets crushed?" Really? Youk gets crushed for getting on peoples nerves trying to inject himself into the tension in the room get crushed while Vtek get crushed for not doing that. Really? Beckett particularly annoys me. His 2011 was awesome. 5th in ERA, 4th in WHIP doing it without the benefit of run support. He gets his ankle caught in the other pitcher mound rut, turns it badly comes back and isn't crisp and he gets totally crushed, labeled as a lazy, fat pig. Really? The BS about Wakefield's chase for 200 being a factor when everybody pretty knows in hindsight the RS did not have anybody else to take those starts. Really? The gutter gets lower still when a never proven allegation about Tek and a NESN sideline reporter is turned into a "clubhouse issue". Really? But lowest is Tito bows out with the same articulate dignity that marked his entire career here and somebody prints an allegation from an unnamed source that suggests Terry is a serious problem with prescription pain killers and was pulled down by his marriage. Really? Then the source becomes an owner and the writer of the information that never should have been printed comes out and states that wasn't his source and that doesn't stop people from continuing to blame the Trio.  Pedey's a liar, Ellsbury's detached, Papelbon choked but Crawford some how is a stand up guy because while he just blew chunks all year he was a stand up sound bite. Really! No matter how much the RS embarrassed themselves in September because they failed to back into the playoffs because their pitching was never taking them all the way; the media and the fans who have bought into the trash they have been peddling are embarrassing themselves far more in October. Boston right now does not look like it has the best fans in sports, just the best front runners and world's sorest losers! Sorry for the rant all, I am finally suffering whining fatigue I fear. But if you look at the that list twice is this really what RS Nation is all about?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Don't apologize for the rant. Excellent post. This would be a strong candidate for post of the year.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester : Don't apologize for the rant. Excellent post. This would be a strong candidate for post of the year.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree. It was a beautiful post. They need to hire Katz, and print that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester :is it not kind of ironic that a man who has made a HOF career thanks to unnamed sources questions someone elses unnamed sources
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Gammons is on the 10-person voting panel for the Fielding Bible Awards, an alternative to the Gold Glove Awards in Major League Baseball[5]

[edit] Honors

He was voted the National Sportswriter of the Year in 1989, 1990 and 1993 by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. He has also been awarded an honorary Poynter Fellow from Yale University.[6]

January 9, 2009 was proclaimed Peter Gammons day in the City of Boston. The proclamation was made by Michael Ross, president of the Boston City Council at the Hot Stove Cool Music Sports Roundtable at Fenway Park. 2010 marked the 10th anniversary of Hot Stove Cool Music, a charitable concert benefiting the Foundation To Be Named Later. At this event, Theo Epstein, Vice President and General Manager of the Boston Red Sox, announced a new scholarship in Gammons' name. The "Peter Gammons - Foundation To Be Named Later Scholarship presented by RISO" enables select Boston Public Schools students to attend college who otherwise might not have the chance.[7]

Source: Wikipedia

Oh, I'd say the sources for his HOF career are known.
    I do think he deserves the credit he has gotten.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It's so funny that the one guy who defends the Sox is the target of Yankee fan Prisonstripzac who is, apparently, planning on spending the entire baseball off-season on Sox sites.

Hey, Zac, it's 1:35AM on a Sox board, do you know where your life is?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416657. Show user_4416657's posts

[QUOTE]It's so funny that the one guy who defends the Sox is the target of Yankee fan Prisonstripzac who is, apparently, planning on spending the entire baseball off-season on Sox sites. Hey, Zac, it's 1:35AM on a Sox board, do you know where your life is?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Calm down Pike, be nice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense of Jon Lester : Kim is about feeding the beast. Almost every incident that has sent the Nation into over drive for those close the industry is not half as bad as it can be made to sound. Adrian Gonzalez sitting in front of his locker with a torn calf muscle he has played on for 5 weeks and crushed is asked for his thoughts and says "I guess it was God's will and gets crushed?" Really? Youk gets crushed for getting on peoples nerves trying to inject himself into the tension in the room get crushed while Vtek get crushed for not doing that. Really? Beckett particularly annoys me. His 2011 was awesome. 5th in ERA, 4th in WHIP doing it without the benefit of run support. He gets his ankle caught in the other pitcher mound rut, turns it badly comes back and isn't crisp and he gets totally crushed, labeled as a lazy, fat pig. Really? The BS about Wakefield's chase for 200 being a factor when everybody pretty knows in hindsight the RS did not have anybody else to take those starts. Really? The gutter gets lower still when a never proven allegation about Tek and a NESN sideline reporter is turned into a "clubhouse issue". Really? But lowest is Tito bows out with the same articulate dignity that marked his entire career here and somebody prints an allegation from an unnamed source that suggests Terry is a serious problem with prescription pain killers and was pulled down by his marriage. Really? Then the source becomes an owner and the writer of the information that never should have been printed comes out and states that wasn't his source and that doesn't stop people from continuing to blame the Trio.  Pedey's a liar, Ellsbury's detached, Papelbon choked but Crawford some how is a stand up guy because while he just blew chunks all year he was a stand up sound bite. Really! No matter how much the RS embarrassed themselves in September because they failed to back into the playoffs because their pitching was never taking them all the way; the media and the fans who have bought into the trash they have been peddling are embarrassing themselves far more in October. Boston right now does not look like it has the best fans in sports, just the best front runners and world's sorest losers! Sorry for the rant all, I am finally suffering whining fatigue I fear. But if you look at the that list twice is this really what RS Nation is all about?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE] the Pedroia part still gets me, IMO he's way too outspoken to be lying...i don't think it takes a laundry list of names for your opinion to be an honest one...  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts