In hindsight, Maddon whiffed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In hindsight, Maddon whiffed.

In the top of the 10th, with two on and two outs and Salty coming to bat, Maddon stayed with his right-hander on the mound.  Oops! 

Salty batting left-handed, BA .326, OBP .379, SLG .605 OPS .983

Salty batting right-handed  BA .163, OBP .265, SLG .279, OPS .544  

I was certain that Maddon would bring in a lefty to turn Salty around and all I could envision was Salty whiffing.  But to my surprise and delight, it was Maddon who whiffed, and Salty responded with a crucial hit that scored two runs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: In hindsight, Maddon whiffed.

Maddon had already used two lefties - the lefty cupboard might have been bare.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In the top of the 10th, with two on and two outs and Salty coming to bat, Maddon stayed with his right-hander on the mound.  Oops! 

I was certain that Maddon would bring in a lefty to turn Salty around and all I could envision was Salty whiffing.  But to my surprise and delight, it was Maddon who whiffed, and Salty responded with a crucial hit that scored two runs.

I don't think he had any lefties left in the bullpen, considering he ended up using seven relievers and the guys who came in after were all righties.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sorry but Longeria gets the goat horns...if he hustles down that line after grounding to third, he bears it out and the game ends on the pinch hit bunt in the 9th...he deserves to be roasted for that (or if he just gort the ball in the air for a sacrifice)

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

good observation dusty! I was thinking the same thing. and like all the posts above me I think that ol joe did run outta left handers. what a freaking shame eh?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Sorry but Longeria gets the goat horns...if he hustles down that line after grounding to third, he bears it out and the game ends on the pinch hit bunt in the 9th...he deserves to be roasted for that (or if he just gort the ball in the air for a sacrifice)

I think he was. He's just not very fast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think he was. He's just not very fast.

[/QUOTE]

Folks shouldn't believe everything Nick Cafardo says. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Than I guess I whiffed.  For some reason, although I'm not that familiar with the Rays' roster, I thought he had another lefty in reserve.  Didn't Maddon wait until the 12th, 13th, & 14th to use Ramos who is a lefty?

Perhaps, he would have fared better using him against Salty with two outs in the 10th.

Nonetheless, you would think that every manager in the AL would keep one lefty in reserve when playing the Sox for it seems that Salty inevitably comes up in the late innings in a pivotal spot. :) :) :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Rays as a team whiffed because they could not score the winning run with the bases loaded and no outs.   LOL

Thank you Pedroia for the outstanding play!!!  Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Rays as a team whiffed because they could not score the winning run with the bases loaded and no outs.   LOL

Thank you Pedroia for the outstanding play!!!  Laughing

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm not a Maddon fan but think he is a very good manager, especially for that team, so I'm sure he had good reasons for using the righty against Salty, who also got a clean single as a righty in that game.

No way Longoria wasn't hustling because the game was on the line.  Not only is he slow, but the grounder was a one hopper right to Middlebrooks, who made a perfect throw to Salty who made a great throw to 1B because Longoria was crowding the basepath (legally). 

I thought the drag bunt by the Rays was a great idea, but apparently Pedroia anticipated it by already being closer in--otherwise, game over. 

The Rays didn't lose that game as much as the Sox won it.  They made some great defensive plays and got some timely hits. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It will be interesting tonight, if the umps don't issue warnings during the line-up exchange, to see if the Rays retaliate hitting either Ells, ShaVic, Pedroia or Ortiz. I don't believe this is over just yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Joyce was ready to showboat after he hit that 2nd ball that ended up going foul. He swung, and just dropped is bat while his arms were still extended at the end of his swing right in front of Salty. Then he realized it went foul. Lackey certainly didnt like that. I dont blame him. When Joyce has put in the time and had the success Papi has had, then he will be given a pass for stuff like that.

Maddon has a habit of crucifying other players for doing the same thing some of his guys have done. hes a good manager but he needs to zip it sometimes and stop being such a hypocrite. Lackey, by all accounts, is a great teammate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Than I guess I whiffed.  For some reason, although I'm not that familiar with the Rays' roster, I thought he had another lefty in reserve.  Didn't Maddon wait until the 12th, 13th, & 14th to use Ramos who is a lefty?

Perhaps, he would have fared better using him against Salty with two outs in the 10th.

Nonetheless, you would think that every manager in the AL would keep one lefty in reserve when playing the Sox for it seems that Salty inevitably comes up in the late innings in a pivotal spot. :) :) :)

But I think Ramos had pitched three innings on Sunday. Stayed away from him until he had no choice.

Sections
Shortcuts