In regard to starting pitching what would you do if you were GM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

In regard to starting pitching what would you do if you were GM?

Should Theo use players within the organization like he is doing now and wait for more information on Lackey and Matsuzaka? Trades aren't usually made until July.  And if Theo does decide to trade should it be a blockbuster trade for a front of the rotation pitcher or should it be a back of the rotation pitcher. Would you like Derek Lowe back in a Sox uniform? Or should he sign someone that was released?

Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

Everyone is looking for pitching, so for the Red Sox to think they can solve their sudden shortage with outside help is probably unrealistic, although according to NESN’s Peter Gammons they have offered Kevin Millwood a minor league contract. They will likely have to muddle through with Tim Wakefield and Alfredo Aceves in place of the disabled John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka, who weren’t pitching well anyway.

But this does affect their overall depth. The bullpen is suddenly without Aceves, a valuable piece in that he can pitch multiple innings in close games. Wakefield ate up innings in one-sided games, and that job now falls on someone else.

And while Dan Wheeler and Bobby Jenks don’t appear to be far away, neither was pitching well before heading to the disabled list, and their return isn’t necessarily a positive.

The Sox’ situation isn’t unlike a lot of teams’. Everyone seems to have a pitching injury or two, and trying to find a replacement isn’t easy.

With Wakefield and Aceves in the rotation, the depth is pretty much gone. Felix Doubront, who might have been someone in Pawtucket the Sox could turn to, has a groin strain. Andrew Miller may eventually get enough quality starts to come up and at least offer some protection for the staff. The same can be said of Kyle Weiland.

But right now, the Sox are very thin, which will put a lot of pressure on the bullpen — and on the offense to score a lot.

The Sox are in hang-in mode. Hang in until Lackey can make it back, because it sounds as if Matsuzaka is worse than first believed. He has a sprained ligament, but if two weeks of rest followed by rehab doesn’t work, he could be facing surgery.

The Sox will have to rely on Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Josh Beckett to get deep into games consistently to take the pressure off the pen. Last night, Buchholz was over 120 pitches as he held the Tigers scoreless through seven.

But it doesn’t always work out that way.

Nothing says Wakefield can’t get on one of his streaks of quality starts. With Aceves, the Sox are hoping he just keeps them in games. Whether his body will hold up remains to be seen.

Wakefield and Aceves also will be in competition with one another, because when Lackey returns, one of them will return to the bullpen. Lackey has inflammation in his elbow, which he felt before his last start but didn’t tell anyone. Instead he went out and threw 118 pitches against the Blue Jays. The next day, he finally fessed up to some discomfort.

The Sox certainly didn’t think they would go through the season without a pitching injury, as they did in 2004. But to have two starters go down at the same time with elbow issues also was not anticipated.

We know general manager Theo Epstein will have his scouts out looking for pitching. The Sox have some interesting trade chips, including Mike Cameron and Marco Scutaro, for teams looking for righthanded hitting or infield depth. Whether either or both could bring them a serviceable starter is unlikely without a prospect thrown in.

At some point, a team like Atlanta will need more offense, and it has starting pitching to deal. While the Braves have issued recent denials about their willingness to trade Derek Lowe, he is certainly a name to watch. Lowe has expressed in the past a desire to return to Boston.

If the Twins continue to fall back, Francisco Liriano and Carl Pavano could become available.

For the time being, though, the Sox will give their current rotation a go. The good news is the division is bunched up. There isn’t a team, as it looks today, that is going to pull away from the pack.

Over the next week or two, you might see the Sox try to add pitching depth, and not necessarily a starter.

If the Sox can win consistently through this difficult time, their chances of winning the American League East will be enhanced significantly. Sometimes you find a player or get unexpected performances from players you never thought would help you. That’s what the Sox need.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: In regard to starting pitching what would you do if you were GM?

Going to have to do from within for at least a few more weeks. No one is moving anyone right now. Options are retreads like Millwood or from within. Aceves and Wake can hold down spots for next few weeks and can't pitch worse than Lackey and Dice did in their last 2 starts.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

way too early to even think about panic trades. Lackey seems to be a very minor injury. I was at the game against the Angels in LA and Lackey looked great in his shut out win. I feel Lackey will be just as advertised...200 innings, keep the team in most games until the 7th.
    Wake is on the team for just this reason. I am not a fan, but now is the time for Wake to prove he belongs ion the team. Lets hope he doesn't come up with a back strain.
    Doubrandt has nothing left to prove in the minors. He needs health and innings.If he must get it in Boston, so be it.
    A return to norm for Jenks and Wheeler w/b just what this team needs.
    This team needs the depth tha Cameront and Scutaro offer. Keep them. No one is running away with this division. Sox should stay the course and let this team as it sits come together. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I'd ask the Yankees to lend us Bartolo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The GM always needs to be looking at other options, if only because of the possibility that one of the big three could also go down.  But I admit I am clueless about who to go after. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Pitching injuries happen to most rotations every season. This is the very reason that Wakefield remains in a Red Sox Uni. You can never have too many relatively inexpensive pitchers capable of the occasional spot starting role.

In Wakefield We Trust!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would consider bringing up Anthony Rinaudo for a look. In 2006 and 2007, when Lester and Buch were the same age as Rinaudo is today, they were up for some innings. 
    Rinaudo is due for a promtion to Portland in June or July. He's pitched a lot of college and some Class A innings. Before I would rush to bring in Lowe and Millwood I would see what we have. Duckworth and Weiland are also throwing some pretty quality innings at AAA.
    Tampa is not shy about elevating their young stars to be and they're in first place lest we forget.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

plug in Wake, pray for rain. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

i agree about staying in the organization. millwood would be just as pathetic as lackey and dice(i think we can drop the K).
    but with wake as an alternative, i agree with the praying for rain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not much they can do. If there was don't we think the NYY would have already done it? They need to hope that the offense will provide run support where needed and that one of the two spot starters is solid because Lackey is probably only going to miss 3 more starts.

The situation certainly does punctuate why the RS did not DFA Wakefield even though the best bullpen coming out of Ft. Myers would not have included him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lowrie to the Giants for J Sanchez

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

We are set for P this year.  Just fill in from within.  JD is getting on thinner and thinner ice though.  Salty/tek is also on slightly thickening ice.  I think we make a trade for RF or C in the next 4-6 weeks, and hope or SP depth is enough to weather this tough stretch, just like we do every year.  Wake is a huge part of that depth.  Lowrie is not our Long term answer at SS for sure.  CC has to start to hit soon I would think, and give our offense a boost.  I'm for picking up Kemp and Ethier from the dodgers to help them through their $ issues, giving up jake, lowrie, and a bunch of kids from the farm.  Those guys are worth empting the farm for...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Why do people say "we"??  Do you play for this team? I never understood this. 
    Frankly, neither Lackey or Dice (I also agree we should drop the K) were pitching all that well before they went down anyways.  Dice was ok...but frankly, Acevez and Wake arent that huge of a downgrade.  In fact those two are the same as many other teams 4th and 5th starters anyways.  Do you guys really think Bartolo Colon will pitch like this all year?  He is a cheeseburger away from a strained "oblique".  Tampa's depth is impressive, but they are one injury away from falling back down to earth.  Now isnt the time to panic....they are 2.5 games out of first, and .5 out of the wildcard......plug in and plug away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Paul Byrd

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Renaudo has been on an 80 pitch limit for all of his starts at Greenville.  As a result, he has not gone longer than 5 innings.  Last two starts have been only mediocre.  He does not appear ready for the bigs until the middle of next year or later.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

I would do exactly what the did Except Instead of wakefield I would call up Brandon Duckworth. He is your typical 5th starter and is doing pretty well in AAA. Hes gotta be better than wake and if not no harm no foul just plug wake back in

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: In regard to starting pitching what would you do if you were GM?:
    Why do people say "we"??  Do you play for this team? I never understood this.  Frankly, neither Lackey or Dice (I also agree we should drop the K) were pitching all that well before they went down anyways.  Dice was ok...but frankly, Acevez and Wake arent that huge of a downgrade.  In fact those two are the same as many other teams 4th and 5th starters anyways.  Do you guys really think Bartolo Colon will pitch like this all year?  He is a cheeseburger away from a strained "oblique".  Tampa's depth is impressive, but they are one injury away from falling back down to earth.  Now isnt the time to panic....they are 2.5 games out of first, and .5 out of the wildcard......plug in and plug away.

Posted by slicksteve38

He is a cheeseburger away from a strained "oblique". 

Yet he's pitching lights out and your two overpriced flops are on the DL.

Tampa's depth is impressive, but they are one injury away from falling back down to earth.

So are you saying that the red flops could withstand an injury to beckett or agon?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Score lots of runs on Saturday and Sunday.

You wait it out.  Lackey should miss maximum 4 more starts, possibly just 3.  Then you use Wake/Aceves until Dice can come back.  If Dice can't come back then you think about finding a 5th starter via trade.  These next couple weeks could be tough but as long as Beckett/Lester/Buck keep it going, they'll be okay.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

"'yet he's pitching lights out and your two overpriced flops are on the DL."

SCORE ONE BIG ONE FOR THE BABE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In Response to Re: In regard to starting pitching what would you do if you were GM?:
    In Response to Re: Yet he's pitching lights out and your two overpriced flops are on the DL.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

2 overpriced flops on the DL?  So you're saying something happened to Jorge and Derek?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re:  Yet he's pitching lights out ...
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

Are you talking about the same Bartolo Colon whom the Sox beat twice already this year?

Just askin'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

No need to make any panic moves just yet. Lackey and Dice-K had a 6.70 ERA between them...if anything, Aceves and Wakefield (or Doubront, Duckworth, or whoever else down the line) will probably be better. Fortunately, we have decent SP depth to draw from at the moment, and we're probably in as good shape as any team could be if two of their starters went down at once. Lets see how our in-house options do before looking outside the organization, I'd say.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'd trade Lackey straight-up for Felix Hernandez. The M's wouldn't have a problem with that, would they?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Great time to let some of the kids get a cup o' joe.  Unfortunately, looks like that might have to wait a minute.  Doubront is not yet back on line, and neither is Tazawa (though I am interested to see what Junichi can do.  He was impressive when he got his look a couple years back).  In the meantime, I feel good with Wake and Aceves.  

Sections
Shortcuts