In the long run-who is more valuable to this team---Reddick or Kalish?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

In the long run-who is more valuable to this team---Reddick or Kalish?

I know a little more about Reddick then Kalish and it would seem Reddick has more power then Kalish. While Kalish to me reminds me of Ellsbury a little. Who you say has more of a future with this team and why?

I personally would love to see Gio Gonzalez comes to Boston. Would either one of them have to be involved to get Gonzo? I would think so, but just wanted to ask you guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: In the long run-who is more valuable to this team---Reddick or Kalish?

I think it would take a lot more than Reddick or kalish to get Gio. Would have to include Lavarnway and or Middlebrooks. I haven't seen enough of Kalish to make an informed opinion, but until his injury racked season, he was considered the better prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I like Kalish better.  My guess is that he will start in CF in 2014.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Kalish is more likely to be a starter, Reddick will be a 4th OF IMO.

I may be over-playing the following based on just a couple plays last year, but Reddick didn't concentrate on D a couple of times. 

Pitches / PA (MLB):

JR   '11   3.83     

RK  '10   4.16

Minors:

JR 22 yo   '09  .245   .317    .446
                   '10  .266    .301    .466

Did JR learn his lesson in 2011?
    AAA  33 BB  39 K 

RK 22 yo  '10 .294   .382   .502

If you put a lot of stock in what they did in 2010 (when both were healthy) it is a no-brainer.  If you look at their minors numbers in total JR has the edge.  Of course JR has shown more power so if he does learn plate discipline he gets the nod.  The D is a wash from what I have seen, so my money would be on Kalish. It may may well come down to health.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Ryan Kalish is likely 1st on the depth chart so-called to replace Jacoby Ellsbury as the CF if Jacoby is not resigned.  Josh Reddick is likely not projected to be a regular outfielder with the Red Sox again, except if Ryan is not ready, because of his injury in 2011, in RF coming out of ST.  Of position players, I suggest that at the moment, the 4 position players the Red Sox would rather not trade are Ryan Lavarnway, Wil Middlebrooks, Ryan Kalish and Jose Iglesias.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Can I vote for "or"?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to In the long run-who is more valuable to this team---Reddick or Kalish?:
    I know a little more about Reddick then Kalish and it would seem Reddick has more power then Kalish. While Kalish to me reminds me of Ellsbury a little. Who you say has more of a future with this team and why? I personally would love to see Gio Gonzalez comes to Boston. Would either one of them have to be involved to get Gonzo? I would think so, but just wanted to ask you guys.
    Posted by mvpyouk20

We can't make that judgement just yet.  Reddick may have more natural power and possibly a stronger arm but Kalish is a more athletic defender.  The Jury is still out on both with plate discipline and effectiveness against lefties. 

I see one being traded before the season begins!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Reddick will be traded to Oakland for Bailey, along with Middlebrooks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Kalish is a fast Trot, Reddick is more of the 4th OF type, especially on this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Reddick may have more of a ceiling if not at least just as high....but I think Kalish has the higher floor and is more likely to be a everyday contributor.  I think 2012 will likely answer this question. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I am anxious to see three guys that might have an eventual impact:
    Lin, Linares and Hassan. Further down in A and AA--Brentz may be the RF solution in another year or two.

The question I have is whether the Sox would say to CC we're going to have you work out in RF during ST and give Lavarnway some innings in LF for the good of the team. You've got to have "the new kid" in the lineup with his bat every day. 
    If Ben is planning to keep Salty, he has to play 5 games a week behind the plate and Lav the other two.
    Opening Day Lineup:
    Ells--CF
    Pedroia--2 b
    AGon--1b
    Youk--3 b
    Ortiz--DH
    Lavarnway--LF
    CC--RF
    Salty--C
    Scutaro--SS

Subs:  Aviles, Punto, Dan Butler, Lin or DMac
    Rotation: Lester, Buch, Gavin Floyd, Colby Lewis, Wilson. 
    Pen: Aceves, Bard, Jenks, Melancon, Morales, Matt Thornton

Sox will TRADE Beckett to Texas for Colby Lewis and two prospects.
    Sox will trade Doubrount, Reddick, Iggy and two prospects to the White Sox for Floyd and Thornton.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BVTsoxfan. Show BVTsoxfan's posts

I've gotta give the nod to Kalish.  Offensively, Reddick had a nice run early-mid last season but seemed to (based on my observations - no statistics to support) regress to his earlier tendencies as the season progressed. 
    As for defense, I love Kalish's athleticism as demonstrated here: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11469235
    If both are in camp in the spring (ie not traded) I'll be interested to see who wins the RF job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Kalish is projected with a higher ceiling with more power potential and a better throwing arm by far. From my understanding the Sox are including Reddick as part of packages and almost every team is asking for Kalish instead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think you can put up a strong argument that kalish has a better ceiling...but no way he has a better arm than Reddick.  (at least from what I've read) All scouting reports has Reddick has the superior defender with the better arm.

If you have any sources that say otherwise please show me....because I am a Junkie for that type of information. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Both are more team valueable than Ellsbury, who has best value in trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: In the long run-who is more valuable to this team---Reddick or Kalish?:
    I am anxious to see three guys that might have an eventual impact: Lin, Linares and Hassan. Further down in A and AA--Brentz may be the RF solution in another year or two. The question I have is whether the Sox would say to CC we're going to have you work out in RF during ST and give Lavarnway some innings in LF for the good of the team. You've got to have "the new kid" in the lineup with his bat every day.  If Ben is planning to keep Salty, he has to play 5 games a week behind the plate and Lav the other two. Opening Day Lineup: Ells--CF Pedroia--2 b AGon--1b Youk--3 b Ortiz--DH Lavarnway--LF CC--RF Salty--C Scutaro--SS Subs:  Aviles, Punto, Dan Butler, Lin or DMac Rotation: Lester, Buch, Gavin Floyd, Colby Lewis, Wilson.  Pen: Aceves, Bard, Jenks, Melancon, Morales, Matt Thornton Sox will TRADE Beckett to Texas for Colby Lewis and two prospects. Sox will trade Doubrount, Reddick, Iggy and two prospects to the White Sox for Floyd and Thornton.  
    Posted by MadMc44

What? Lavarnway in LF?

Sections
Shortcuts