Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe

Boston could have gotten him, and only pay 5 million dollars.  That is a perfect #5 starting pitcher just for one year rental.  

I would take him over Wakefield, Miller, Bedard and Lackey!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I would not take him. He is pretty much toast and has had many difficult starts in the past few years being unable to get his sinker to work. Pass...no harm done here. He may help the Indians with their young staff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/statuses/131049629612638208

http://twitter.com/#!/JohnKreger/statuses/131041613614039043

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He's not worth $5M. He's going to be 38 early in the year, his ERA last year was over 5, his WHIP was over 1.50 and he lost 17 games. And opponents hit .285 against him.

Garbage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Non story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe:
    Boston could have gotten him, and only pay 5 million dollars.  That is a perfect #5 starting pitcher just for one year rental.   I would take him over Wakefield, Miller, Bedard and Lackey!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

It's great to compare Derek Lowe and his 5.05ERA and 1.51 WHIP against Wakefield, Miller, Bedard and Lackey. None of the four names you mentioned will be on the Red Sox roster next year so it's a mute point.

Compare Lowe to Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, TBD#1 and TBD#2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Lowe  is   over the hill  -- he was   not going to be in the rotation here in Atlanta   and would have been a long reliever..

He had a bad year and  contibuted  nothing in September  where like the Sox  1 win and the team is in the Post Season.

Braves pick up a good young arm   7-1 at Kinston (A)   who had a large number of strikeouts..  Indians  get an old veteran arm  with Braves paying 10 of his 15 million dollar salary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Another great ex-Red Sox Theo Ineptstein let walk.  Theo got us Clement and Fat Boy Wells instead.  How does that look several years down the road?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Lowe was going to go to the Cubs but instead Theo brought in Matt Clement and David Wells.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Ex-Red Sox...lol...Mariner, Red Sox, Dodger, Brave.
    Why does everything revolve around Boston teams? Oh, oh...I get it, we're in Boston.

Derek Lowe? Just the perfect citizen a new manager / GM would want to build his team around...lolololol...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I don't know. I have fond memories of Lowe's time in Boston. His Brave years haven't been great. I'm not upset either way. At $5 million, I'd take him. But looking at this numbers last year, I'm not bothered that they didn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In 2011, Derek Lowe had an expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP)* rating of 3.65.

Josh Beckett had an xFIP of 3.58 and Jon Lester 3.62.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/indians-bet-on-derek-lowe-and-fip/

* http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/xfip/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In 2011, Derek Lowe had an expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP)* rating of 3.65. Josh Beckett had an xFIP of 3.58 and Jon Lester 3.62. * http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/xfip/
    Posted by hill55

D.U.I. 2011
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6448504

Affair/Divorce 2005
    FOX Sports News West in Los Angeles announced that Carolyn Hughes, anchor of the network's Dodger Dugout show covering the Dodgers, had been suspended pending an investigation into a potential relationship between her and Lowe. Lowe filed for divorce from his wife of seven years, Trinka Lowe, with whom he fathered two children. Hughes's husband also filed for divorce. Hughes ended her broadcasting career, while she and Lowe continued their relationship. The two were married on December 13, 2008 in Dearborn, Michigan.

Derek is NOT in Boston for good reasons. They have zero to do with his xFIP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe : D.U.I. 2011 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6448504 Affair/Divorce 2005 FOX Sports News West in Los Angeles announced that Carolyn Hughes, anchor of the network's Dodger Dugout show covering the Dodgers, had been suspended pending an investigation into a potential relationship between her and Lowe. Lowe filed for divorce from his wife of seven years, Trinka Lowe, with whom he fathered two children. Hughes's husband also filed for divorce. Hughes ended her broadcasting career, while she and Lowe continued their relationship. The two were married on December 13, 2008 in Dearborn, Michigan. Derek is NOT in Boston for good reasons. They have zero to do with his xFIP.
    Posted by WesternOregon

... while Josh Beckett and Jon Lester were model teammates.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Indians trade for ex-Red Sox Derek Lowe : ... while Josh Beckett and Jon Lester were model teammates.
    Posted by hill55

Is that comment intended to position me as believing Beckett or Lester are quality people?

Given the fact that Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester are ALL signed to contracts with the Sox in 2012 adding Derek Lowe would give us four incorrigibles in the rotation. Two of the aforementioned MUST go (preferably Beckett and Buchholz) in my mind. Jon Lester (a self-professed "grown ar$$ed man") has his own issues with leadership BUT might be the best gamble of the three.

Regardless, the new Red Sox manager needs Derek Lowe here about as much as he needs an in-ground pool in January.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I've never contended that the Red Sox should have pursued Derek Lowe, but was merely responding to a poster remark that: "But looking at this numbers last year, I'm not bothered that they didn't."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Lowe is worth 1M if he proves he isn't washed up in spring training. Terrible move at 5M. Wastefield is worth one flush of Obama regulation flush limit of 1 quart of green water.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I've never contended that the Red Sox should have pursued Derek Lowe, but was merely responding to a poster remark that: "But looking at this numbers last year , I'm not bothered that they didn't."
    Posted by hill55

Sorry but in this instance you can dig into the numbers as deep as you'd like and maybe find some good in Lowe's 2011 season.

In Septmeber when the Braves needed him, he went 0-5, gave up 23 earned in 24 IP with zero QS...Sorry but I's have passed on aquiring him myself...maybe in Cleveland he can help mentor Carmona and Masterson...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Let's look at this....Derek Lowe

2011: 17 losses & ERA over 5.  In the NATIONAL League.

Yup...Let's sign him.  He'll do so much better in the AL EAST

Sucking in the NL means MAJOR sucking in the AL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Boston could have gotten him, and only pay 5 million dollars.  That is a perfect #5 starting pitcher just for one year rental.   I would take him over Wakefield, Miller, Bedard and Lackey!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

Wang is also a ground ball pitcher and possibly a cheaper risk than Lowe and I would love the Sox to sign him.  However, I do give the Indians credit for the move.  Lowe is a veteran who should give the Indians a formidable top four in Tomlin, Masterson, Lowe and Jimenez if he rebounds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Derek Lowe is what he is when he was.    The Braves unloaded an albatross contract.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

The Braves are paying 10 of the 15 million remaining on Lowe's deal right?  They unloaded the player, not the contract.

Cleveland will pay 5 million for a guy who never misses a start and will likely log around 200 innings over 30+ starts.  Really, not that bad of a deal for the Indians.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Lowe was going to go to the Cubs but instead Theo brought in Matt Clement and David Wells.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

You know whats funny about this...Theo is not Cubs GM !!!....Maybe the new GM might do that .Then maybe won't be as funny right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Derek Lowe is what he is when he was.    The Braves unloaded an albatross contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Posted by OnDeckCircle

And in the process probably made Tommy Hanson, Jairs Jurrjens, Mike Minor, Brandon Beachy and Julio Teheran less available in trade to the Red Sox or another team in need of a starting pitcher.

Sections
Shortcuts