Infielder or outfielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

Infielder or outfielder

I keep hearing that they want to pursue an extra infielder and a centerfielder.  The way the team is constructed right now, the math won't work.  And trading a pitcher won't make it better. 

We can assume they carry 12 pitchers and 2 catchers.  That leaves 11 spots.

Victorino, Bradley, Gomes, Nava, Ortiz, Napoli, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Carp make 10.

That leaves one spot, so if they resigned Drew and rotated him, Middlebrooks and Bogaerts they would not be able to bring in a righthanded hitting outfielder like Gutierrez or Davis. 

Unless they traded someone.  And that does not mean Middlebrooks, because they would still need a backup infielder, like Holt.  It would have to be an outfielder.  We know it's not going be Victorino.  It is probably not Bradley, because the whole point of a RH hitting outfielder is to complement him, not replace him.  Trading Bradley would mean a bigger deal, like Kemp.  That leaves Nava, Gomes and Carp.

It is unlikely that they would trade Nava.  He is worth a lot more to them than anything they could get in return and he is just a pefect guy given his attitude for this team.  I don't think they would get much for Gomes.  Again worth more to them.  Carp possibly but he is just 27 years old and looked like he did his first year in the bigs.  If anyone, it would be him to trade and open that spot. 

So what is better, having Carp or Gutierrez or Davis.  Might they be better served to slide Victorino over when they need to and put Nava in right and still have Carp and/or Gomes in left.

The other path is not to have another infielder, but that is cutting it short.  Right now, they have no backup shortstop for Bogaerts.  No backup for Pedroia either, but that isn't critical, since he never comes out.  If he got hurt we are talking innings and middlebrooks can move over for a couple.   But then who plays third for those innings, probably Gomes.  They would make a move the next day.

As I see it, if Drew comes back, they have that rotation and mIddlebrooks is the in game emergency man for Pedroia.  If he doesn't and they bring up Holt, he can play all three as a backup.  There would be no rotation.  It would be Bogaerts and Middlebrooks straight out.

The point is the math doesn't work for an infielder and an outfielder.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Infielder or outfielder

i think they end up going with an infielder who can play the left side and possibly 2B.

my reasoning is this, we already have Nava/Gomes in left, JBJ in CF and IVC in right. if someone gets hurt then you rotate as follows:

Gomes gets hurt, Nava plays every day in LF and vice versa

JBJ gets hurt, IVC to CF and Nava to right

IVC gets hurt, Nava to right.

Lets not forget that we also have Carp who can spell an OF'er and also 1B

the only way i would sign an extra OF'er is if i was planning on JBJ failing. and in my professional armchair GM opinion, i say lets cross that bridge when we get there. You can always trade for a stopgap CF'er or corner OF'er (IVC moves to CF) if JBJ looks like he needs more time in AAA.

so realistically, we have backup options (with ML talent) for LF, CF, RF & 1B.

3B, SS and to a lesser extent 2B is a different matter. as our roster is currently constructed, Holt would likely get the call if someone went down. that's not exactly ideal. Now, i'm of the "sign Drew" camp so if we did that then we can park XB in the minors (or WMB but i'm not sure he has anything left to prove in AAA. At least Xander wouldn't suffer if he spent half a season in AAA). Then if someone gets hurt Xander can step in.

long story short, sign a utility IF'er Laughing

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to rondaredsox's comment:

As I see it, if Drew comes back

Drew's not coming back. 

why is that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I keep hearing that they want to pursue an extra infielder and a centerfielder.  The way the team is constructed right now, the math won't work.  And trading a pitcher won't make it better. 

I've been saying this for weeks.  Every day, another idiot writer says we're going to pursue an outfielder.  The only way to pursue an OFer is to get rid of Nava.  They see a player they like and go 'ooohhh, let's get him'.

4 IF, 3 OF, catcher and DH, plus Nava, Ross, Carp, and a UIF.  That's all they wrote.

If we pick up another OF, one of those must go, and it won't be Ross or the UIF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I've been saying this for weeks.  Every day, another idiot writer says we're going to pursue an outfielder.  The only way to pursue an OFer is to get rid of Nava.  They see a player they like and go 'ooohhh, let's get him'.

4 IF, 3 OF, catcher and DH, plus Nava, Ross, Carp, and a UIF.  That's all they wrote.

If we pick up another OF, one of those must go, and it won't be Ross or the UIF.

Joe, I have been reading there is a market for Carp, so if the Sox trade Carp they could then pick up a RH hitting OF who can play center.  I, personally, am not comfortable with Victorino in CF for a long period of time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Ellsbury left. The assumption that Bradley will be on the opening day roster is just an assumption. They may do that, but they can also sign another OF'er like Davis and bring Bradley up later and wait for the DL activity in the spring and early summer. 

My wild guess is Drew's not coming back anymore than Ellsbury was coming back.

Just a wild guess, but I think the Red Sox will start the season with Bogaerts at SS and Middlbrooks at 3B.  

As a matter of fact the Red Sox have said multiple times that they would like more time for Bradley to develop and would like to keep Victorino in CF . They have also said they are fine with Bogaerts anywhere on the left side. So right now the Sox see Bogaerts as a starter, are a bit down on Middlebrooks and don't feel Bradley is ready. So you are off base again softy and a Btw I can provide quotes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Carp has actually hit LHPs better than RHPs in somewhat small sample sizes over his career, so trading Gomes to open a spot for a CF'er who can hit lefties is not such a bad idea. Carp can play LF vs LHPs and 1B vs RHPs when Naps needs a rest.

I'd prefer to trade Gomes to open up that slot, but I seriously doubt we trade one of Farrell's favorite players.

I do not trust Holt to play SS, so we need a SS/Utility IF'er. I'd prefer a great defensive one to sub in late innings for Bogey and too slowly give Bogey his rest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Ellsbury left. The assumption that Bradley will be on the opening day roster is just an assumption. They may do that, but they can also sign another OF'er like Davis and bring Bradley up later and wait for the DL activity in the spring and early summer. 

Just a wild guess, but I think the Red Sox will start the season with Bogaerts at SS and Middlbrooks at 3B.  

As a matter of fact the Red Sox have said multiple times that they would like more time for Bradley to develop and would like to keep Victorino in CF . They have also said they are fine with Bogaerts anywhere on the left side. So right now the Sox see Bogaerts as a starter, are a bit down on Middlebrooks and don't feel Bradley is ready. So you are off base again softy and a Btw I can provide quotes.

You mean RF?

I've read multiple times, they prefer to keep Victorino in RF. It makes sense to me too, because I'd like to keep Nava out of RF as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You always need a couple of versatile bench guys for both infield and outfield. They are pretty much a dime a dozen.  I think the bigger thing is that Ben needs to have a plan to improve the club. As I look at the present roster, the team is not as good as the one that rode in the parade. We have lost more than we have gained. Ben should do more than simply add a couple of subs. I would like to see at least one major addition.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Joe, I have been reading there is a market for Carp, so if the Sox trade Carp they could then pick up a RH hitting OF who can play center.  I, personally, am not comfortable with Victorino in CF for a long period of time.

Then who is your backup 1B?  Nava has only 8 games there.  And if you get a RH hitter to back up JBJ, who platoons with Gomes?  Carp/Nava got 779 PAs last year.  I see no way to replace that with a backup CF, especially since Vic can do that for 10-15 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think Ben would love to try to resign Drew and also to try to find another CF via trade.  But the odd of doing it is not going to be high. Cuz Drew is still looking for a big fat contract, and Ben C. isnt going to trump it or match it.  And to trade for a CF, there are not much out there.  More I am reading about Matt Kemp, now I do not want him.  With two shoulder surgeries, b@nged up knees, etc for crashing to the wall twice or maybe more.  He is not really worth more than 10 millions dollars a year.  Since Dodgers have gave him like 21 millions dollars a year contract, I do not know the Dodgers can make a deal with another team at the same time the other team want the Dodgers to eat up as much money as they can.  If I am Ben C., I would ask the Dodgers to eat up half of his salary.  Sorry, Dodgers!!

If these two deals doesnt work out, I can live with Bradley in CF, Bogaerts at SS and Middlebrook at 3b.  It may not be a world series title team, but it may be a good way to try to experience with these guys.  AT the same time Ben C. know he will not have to worry about being stuck with one or two players with a long term contract like Matt Kemp.  If Middlebrook or Bradley or both of them cant continue to play at the major league level, Ben C. can alway find a way to make a quick move during the middle of the season or maybe just wait until the end of next season.  

In someway, I can live without seeing Boston winnng it all.  As long Yankees doesnt win it all.   Still, Ben C. should try to make this team next year to try to win back to back title.  This team is already a pretty good team, and all they need to fix CF and the left side of the infield.  Boston have the money, alot of trade baits and have alot of ways to make a deal from now to February spring training.   Yes these teams are playing hard head with Boston or to everyone.  That is MLB.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You mean RF?

I've read multiple times, they prefer to keep Victorino in RF. It makes sense to me too, because I'd like to keep Nava out of RF as well.

Yes you caught a typo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I think you are right.  I also think Jackie starts in center

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Then who is your backup 1B?  Nava has only 8 games there.  And if you get a RH hitter to back up JBJ, who platoons with Gomes?  Carp/Nava got 779 PAs last year.  I see no way to replace that with a backup CF, especially since Vic can do that for 10-15 games.

If we trade Carp, Nava, Middy or Papi can play 1B when Napoli gets hurt.

If we trade Gomes, Carp can play LF vs LHPs. He does not have the career numbers Bomes has vs lefties, but he has actually hit lefties better than righties in the bigs so far. If JBJ does well vs LHPs, the CF'er can play LF vs lefties, in case of injury.

While trading one of these two creates issues, the bigger issue not getting a CF'er. Who plays CF if JBJ struggles, gets hurt or stinks vs LHPs? Yes, we can move Shance to CF and Nava to RF, but isn't this worse? Not only is this a worse defesnive situation, it would also force Nava and Gomes to play FT instead of platoon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

Trade for Kemp !!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to FL33178's comment:

Trade for Kemp !!!!!

Only if Dodgers eat up alot of salary!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He is making 21 millions dollars a year with two shoulder surgeries, and maybe a knee surgery!!

Be careful what you see in him!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I like the Guttierrez idea on a 1-yr deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox are more likely to pursue an infielder.   They could add an outfielder but that does create a roster crunch with Carp the likely victim.  The other option is to let Bradley open in AAA. The Sox could sign Franklin Gutierrez and put him in CF.  Then when he has his inevitable DL trip in mid-April,  recall Bradley.

They also face a bullpen crunch.  Until one of the starters is dealt, they have 9 pitchers vying for 7 spots.  I think Workman might have an option left, which puts him at risk.  Or Morales might be dealt, possibly for a utility ingielder-type.  Washington, SD, and Cleveland are among the teams that might have interest.   I suppose the Angels and Marlins, too.  So potentially he could be moved for Danny Espinosa, Mike Aviles, Logan Forsythe, or some Angel or Marlin.  Just guesses.  Of those names, I prefer Espinosa, but the Nationals have tried to avoid selling low on him.

But, hey, it's only selling low if he bounces back...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

hahaha ineveitable DL. Sometimes you take the chance that he is trying to resurrect, his career. 1 year Deals do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

The Dodgers are willing to eat $$ on Kemp, I know it is a gamble on whether or not he is completely healthy, but the risk might be worth it....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to FL33178's comment:

The Dodgers are willing to eat $$ on Kemp, I know it is a gamble on whether or not he is completely healthy, but the risk might be worth it....

One way to mitigate that risk is to sign Grady Sizemore and place him on the DL instead of Kemp

Saves a ton of money and prospects.

Kemp has a ton of talent when healthy.  So why would the Dodgers want to move him?  It seemed less suspicious ehen we figured it was to clear room for Cano.  But as that is no longer an option, you have to think they know a little bit too much about his health.  And no other team knows more...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Justin Ruggiano--Marlins.  OR

Sean Rodriguez--Rays. 

Either for Mike Carp--we get another RH Bat. Carp fits well with Marlins or Rays.

Sections
Shortcuts