INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

BETTER FOR IT !!!!  BOBBY V. WILL BE THRILLED WITH THAT GLOVE !!!  TITO,  WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR THE VET'S.......  IN SPORTS, YOU NEED TO BE  "AGE & TIME IN BLIND"  !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel come to mind. Both were top end fielding SS's with no bat as rookies, then over time maintained their fielding expertise and improved to .260 or so batters. IMO give Iggy the job, let him learn to hit at the MLB level and provide outstanding defense. Play him 140 games and slot him in the 9 hole. It is time to give this Kid a chance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbfrogger. Show cbfrogger's posts

Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

There seems to be large contingent of people who think having Iglesias hitting two thirty in the nine hole is something they can live with. Be interesting to see what they say when he is hitting a buck twenty....he has given no indication that he can hit 230

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

There may be no indication that he can hit 230, but there is no true indication that he cant.  I have tons of trouble putting lots of value in AAA ball as an indicator but for those that do, maybe the RS shouldn't wait until ST to work with this kid.  Did I read that he is already in FLA?  Maybe he can work it out.  I certainly hope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I agree, Bil.

I think the pitching staff will be thankful for that glove, especially the ground ball pitchers.

Hitting?  Dave Magadan can take him under his wing.  Yes, I have had my issues with magadan in the past, but I have recanted all the bad stuff I said about him.  Truly.

As for the extra $6 mil that has miraculously appeated, we can use it to sign a real 4/5 starter.

Maybe not Roy Oswalt. 

But you never know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bunts. Show Bunts's posts

No one thought Elvis Andrus was going to do anything but field when he took over the rangers job, A's he had not played above double A. Maybe the sox can catch that same lightning with Inglesias

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....:
    There seems to be large contingent of people who think having Iglesias hitting two thirty in the nine hole is something they can live with. Be interesting to see what they say when he is hitting a buck twenty....he has given no indication that he can hit 230
    Posted by cbfrogger

There's also no indication that he'll only hit .130.  In his cup of coffee last year, he hit .333 at the MLB level, it may only be 6 AB's, but people would be citing the same sample if he had gone 0 for 6.

The fact of the matter is that he's never hit below .235 in any stint at any level.  No matter how big or small the sample size.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Yes, let him start and bat him 9th.  They say alot of times it is harder to hit the minor league pitching because the pitching is not as consistent.  Let's see what he can do and spend the money on some pitching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....:
    In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : There's also no indication that he'll only hit .130.  In his cup of coffee last year, he hit .333 at the MLB level, it may only be 6 AB's, but people would be citing the same sample if he had gone 0 for 6. The fact of the matter is that he's never hit below .235 in any stint at any level.  No matter how big or small the sample size.
    Posted by JB-3
    Good points. 
    Saying he'll hit .130 is foolish, or that he'll be automatic out 4 or 5 times a game overlooks the probability that if he's up for the 5th time the offense has already done the job.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Nah, he's not ready. Its a good thougth but iggy not ready yet. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Ozzie Smith was an absolute disaster when he first came up with the Padres...he perservered and learned to hit while in the majors.  Time to put up or shut up with Iggy...give the kid a chance.  The Sox have had a revolving door at SS far too long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Nah, he's not ready. Its a good thougth but iggy not ready yet. 
    Posted by proftom

Do you have a problem with being optimistic and hoping for the best?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrumstoo. Show wonderdrumstoo's posts

its funny to me that you guys have a problem with the concept of iglesias batting .200 in the 9th slot. He cant be any worse than Vtek batting 9th can he?  He's been an offensive liability for years now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

wonderdrums response is exactly why I oppose this - Varitek's OPS was 200 points higher than Iglesias's at AAA.  That's major's vs minors.  And Varitek is being run out of town on a rail.  What's going to happen to this kid if he's struggling to hit .200?  Nobody's going to care if he struggles at Pawtucket - give him a chance to see if he can figure things out there first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

The expectation that Iglesias will be some kind of defensive Messiah at shortstop is a bit silly...Unless he magically becomes the next Ozzie Smith, the Red Sox are not going to carry a .200 BA at the bottom of the order...The Punto/Aviles platoon is what you are looking at here, and the defensive nature of that platoon is, as they say, TBA....Too early to tell, but I think the loss of Marco will hurt in the long run....

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Jose Iglesias should have no trouble meeting low expectations with the bat. My fear is that Iglesias may fall short of exceedingly high expectations with the glove. Perhaps my perspective is slanted, but Iglesias may have the most-hyped shortstop glove since Yuniesky Betancourt. I hope Iglesias has a better career.
    Posted by hill55

Exactly, Hill...Give the kid time to develop...

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Just as a possibility, maybe if Crawford misses the start of the season like they say he might the Red Sox put Aviles in left and start Iglesias at SS. If they do not like what they see, when CC is back Iglesias goes down to AAA and Aviles moves to SS. But if he does okay, then he can stick around and be the starter and Aviles either backs him up or he keeps working on his OF abilities so maybe he can spell Sweeney in right or Crawford in left against some lefties

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

its funny to me that you guys have a problem with the concept of iglesias batting .200 in the 9th slot. He cant be any worse than Vtek batting 9th can he?  He's been an offensive liability for years now.

You mean the back-up catcher who hit better than almost half the starting MLB catchers in 2011? (Plus, he only batted 9th 1/3rd of his PAs... yeah, he was so bad, Tito 8th more often, and even batted him 5th , 6th, and 7th as well.

You mean the back-up catcher in 2010 who had an OPS better than about 2/3rds of the starting MLB catchers? The guy that was never put in the 9th slot all year and was in the 7th slot more than any other.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

wonderdrums response is exactly why I oppose this - Varitek's OPS was 200 points higher than Iglesias's at AAA.  That's major's vs minors.  And Varitek is being run out of town on a rail.  What's going to happen to this kid if he's struggling to hit .200?  Nobody's going to care if he struggles at Pawtucket - give him a chance to see if he can figure things out there first.
    Posted by slomag

I'd like to think Sox fans are smart enough to recognize what he is doing on defense and cut him a little slack on offense. The media is another story.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by wonderdrumstoo

Just in case you come back and want to discuss it, with all due respect, you strike me as someone that isn't too bright.  Let me know if you'd like me to explain it to you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No one thought Elvis Andrus was going to do anything but field when he took over the rangers job, A's he had not played above double A. Maybe the sox can catch that same lightning with Inglesias
    Posted by Bunts

I'm not sure what that means, but he's hit about what he was expected to hit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by cbfrogger

I can live with him hitting .130, and I've said it before.

THe foolish ones are people who say a team "can't win with an automatic out in the lineup."

Really? A team can't? Who wants the examples?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I like the move. I will miss scutty he was a warrior who played everyday, through injury as well, but hands down iggy is a much better shortstop that will help close the hole between third and short

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrumstoo. Show wonderdrumstoo's posts

its funny to me that you guys have a problem with the concept of iglesias batting .200 in the 9th slot. He cant be any worse than Vtek batting 9th can he?  He's been an offensive liability for years now. You mean the back-up catcher who hit better than almost half the starting MLB catchers in 2011? (Plus, he only batted 9th 1/3rd of his PAs... yeah, he was so bad, Tito 8th more often, and even batted him 5th , 6th, and 7th as well. You mean the back-up catcher in 2010 who had an OPS better than about 2/3rds of the starting MLB catchers? The guy that was never put in the 9th slot all year and was in the 7th slot more than any other.
    Posted by moonslav59

Forgive me moon, I wasnt trying to bash Tek. Its the perception of a below average bat in the 9 slot that I was shooting for with my statement. I agree,Tek is a pro. He's alway in shape and works hard at his craft. His off-field preperation studying hitters is clearly second to noone. You dont catch that many no hitters by chance.  As a Sox fan, I hope he stays with the Sox. In reality, I dont see how.

I will however point out that while you're rational enough to compare his stats to other starting MLB catchers, he is in fact what you said, a backup catcher.  I know Tek isnt the worst hitter ever, but lets not kid ourselves. There is a reason why he's the backup now. Its not his defense or game calling.  Please dont tell me its because he cant throw runners out or he's too old to catch everyday. if Tek was still hitting he'd be the starter on opening day. Again moon, no disrespect. I think the guy has been a warrior for the Sox. I'll continue to wear his jersey even if he signs elsewhere. I cant say that about all my jerseys.

On the subject of Jose playing SS this season.....
    If it was my decision to make, Id say unless a better option presents itself whether already on the team or via trade, to give the kid a shot. This is of course after my scouts tell me they think he's at least close to ready. That is their job right?

Go Sox!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AtTheWall. Show AtTheWall's posts

Iglesias isn't ready. His bat needs work. It isn't debatable.

And for all the people saying "but his defense, his glove, his hands!" you dont seem to understand. It's about how many runs he prevents AND how many runs he creates. His glove might be wonderful, but if his offense is terrible, he will end up creating too few runs for it to be useful. A SS with a more average glove and average bat may end up being more valuable.

Plus people keep saying "it's time to give the kid a chance" like he has been wasting away in the minors for 6 years or something. I'm pretty sure he's like 8 years old. He practically just arrived. He has actually come up pretty quickly considering how light his bat is.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for him to emerge as the everyday SS, but not if it means rushing him or playing a player with an OPS of .600. Maybe we should all calm down and let the kid get some more seasoning before we put him in the box and ask him to hit Verlanders fastball.

Sections
Shortcuts