INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

With good spring trainning .. Iglesias will start like everyday SS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....

In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : I'd like to think Sox fans are smart enough to recognize what he is doing on defense and cut him a little slack on offense. The media is another story.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Only stupid fans will blame for Iglesias for a soft bat (providing he is catching all the balls).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : Well, c'mon. Lets be realistic. Agreed Ozzie was horrible to start, and he proved it. Very poor first 3 years offensively, and the Padres won 84, 68 and 73 games and had no hope of competing. Omar was just as bad, and his teams won 73, 77 and 83 games his first 3 years as JR and Johnson were starting to establish themselves. Pedroia, different situation. He always hit. College, minors. Before his call up year, he did post an .810 OPS in AAA. I am not saying Iglesias cannot hit. I am not saying he cannot become a better hitter. What I am saying is that in a 700 PA sample, he has not hit so far. Why put him in a position to fail, and have him regress? Assuming the Sox expect to contend, they need to put up in the vicinty of 900 plus runs scored. I simply do not feel they can do that playing Iglesias everyday. I assume Orlando Cabera could keep the position warm for half the season for $1.5 milllion.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    By your logic, the right place for a player like Iglesias is on a team going nowhere in a weak division.  He would not add much, if any, liability to a team that is, in effect, a collective liability. But he would be a liability on a competitive team in a tough division, one, say, needing 900 runs in the AL East. So much for Iglesias in Boston. The Sox will regularly be competitive in a division that might get even tougher. They will always, by your reasoning, require a SS who hits better than Iglesias ever figures to hit, even if he becomes a better hitter than now. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : By your logic, the right place for a player like Iglesias is on a team going nowhere in a weak division.  He would not add much, if any, liability to a team that is, in effect, a collective liability. But he would be a liability on a competitive team in a tough division, one, say, needing 900 runs in the AL East. So much for Iglesias in Boston. The Sox will regularly be competitive in a division that might get even tougher. They will always, by your reasoning, require a SS who hits better than Iglesias ever figures to hit, even if he becomes a better hitter than now. 

correct. if this offseason the RS signed Paplbon and Darvish along with Oswalt, and pushed the fences back, I would feel differently.
    For the RS team as it stands now, and in Fenway, RS need more than Iglesias can give them at SS
    Put him on a team in a pitchers park, that realizes it will not contend for another 1-3 years, then I can see him playing right away. A's, Padres, Mets, Royals, Dodgers.  
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel come to mind. Both were top end fielding SS's with no bat as rookies, then over time maintained their fielding expertise and improved to .260 or so batters. IMO give Iggy the job, let him learn to hit at the MLB level and provide outstanding defense. Play him 140 games and slot him in the 9 hole. It is time to give this Kid a chance.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't agree more. Must give us something offensively, can't be black hole of our lineup. But RS pitchers will be very happy, w/ Youk at third this was needed. If not Opening Day it won't be long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : He isn't going to be the opening day shortstop. Give me a break.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]SNAKEHEAD123 ..... SON, BOBBY V. BEING A FORMER SHORTSTOP CERTAINLY KNOWS THE VALUE OF A GREAT GLOVE AT SHORT COMPARED TO AN AVERAGE GLOVE.........  AND THE PITCHERS WILL COME TO UNDERSTAND THAT VALUE TOO !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : SNAKEHEAD123 ..... SON, BOBBY V. BEING A FORMER SHORTSTOP CERTAINLY KNOWS THE VALUE OF A GREAT GLOVE AT SHORT COMPARED TO AN AVERAGE GLOVE.........  AND THE PITCHERS WILL COME TO UNDERSTAND THAT VALUE TOO !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

this pitching staff understands Fenway. They realize a run here or there is no big deal. They much prefer to be pitching in games in which the offense has scored 4-7 runs than in a 1 run game.
    I keep repeating, this team needs to score 900 plus runs to contend. They cannot do that with an automatic out at SS.
    In addition, as stated many times, Iglesias is a great glove, but so far is not a sure thing on the routine ground ball and throw.
    Sox menatlity under Theo, and I believe under Ben, is to prefer a SS that gets on base and has sure hands over a glove.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I keep repeating, this team needs to score 900 plus runs to contend. They cannot do that with an automatic out at SS. 

No?

What if we lose 200 points in OPS at SS going with Iggy over Scoot.

We can easily gain 200 in RF if Ross & Sweeney just hit their career split norms.

We can gain 100 points at 3b with a healthy Youk.

We can gain 50 points at catcher with a maturing Salty and a L-R platoon not the personal caddy nonsense of Tito.

We could easily see a 100-150 point gain in LF if CC returns to form.

We could also see Aviles and punto playing some games at SS and replacing Iggy in late innings after he is PH for, thereby lessening the offensive gap between losing Scoot and replacing him with Iggy.

I am nearly certain we will score as much or more in 2012, even with Iggy at SS 70% of the PAs, Papi having a slight decline, and Ellsbury as well. 900 runs may be in reach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from roxiew. Show roxiew's posts

If we are winning it won't be a problem but if we are losing everything is a problem and he could get some heat if he is hitting poorly. Sad to say that Scutaro was the only one hitting well in September. It is wierd to say that I hate to lose that bat in the Red Sox lineup. We just need to keep Gonzalez out of that crazy home run derby. He was toast after that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... :
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    I prefer the counter argument. An outstanding SS is especially valuable in a hitter's park in order to keep as many people  off base as possible. The two-out playable single or the failure to turn the inning-ending DP invites the big inning. You want to get your pitcher off the mound quickly ( saving him pitches too ) before a ball leaves the park or hits the wall, and more damage follows. That pitcher won't get outs on pop-ups in generous foul territory. The batter lives to take advantage of the hitter's park. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : I prefer the counter argument. An outstanding SS is especially valuable in a hitter's park in order to keep as many people  off base as possible. The two-out playable single or the failure to turn the inning-ending DP invites the big inning. You want to get your pitcher off the mound quickly ( saving him pitches too ) before a ball leaves the park or hits the wall, and more damage follows. That pitcher won't get outs on pop-ups in generous foul territory. The batter lives to take advantage of the hitter's park. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]  B I N G O !!!!!!    THANK YOU !!! GREAT POST !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: INGLESAIS WILL BE THE OPENING DAY SHORTSTOP, AND THE PITCHING STAFF WILL BE.... : I prefer the counter argument. An outstanding SS is especially valuable in a hitter's park in order to keep as many people  off base as possible. The two-out playable single or the failure to turn the inning-ending DP invites the big inning. You want to get your pitcher off the mound quickly ( saving him pitches too ) before a ball leaves the park or hits the wall, and more damage follows. That pitcher won't get outs on pop-ups in generous foul territory. The batter lives to take advantage of the hitter's park. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

So right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]No one thought Elvis Andrus was going to do anything but field when he took over the rangers job, A's he had not played above double A. Maybe the sox can catch that same lightning with Inglesias
    Posted by Bunts[/QUOTE]

I hope that you are right.  Maybe the Red Sox will finally find  a shortstop that that they are happy with.   I am really sick of the revolving door at this position.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

For those of you advocating Iglesias start at SS, what does the rest of the field look like?  Do we trade Aviles, who can play the OF and right now is one of our better RH bats, or get rid of Punto (which would indicate the FO is not on the same page)?  Do we get rid of McDonald, and delay the decision until Kalish comes back and proves healthy and productive at AAA?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]For those of you advocating Iglesias start at SS, what does the rest of the field look like?  Do we trade Aviles, who can play the OF and right now is one of our better RH bats, or get rid of Punto (which would indicate the FO is not on the same page)?  Do we get rid of McDonald, and delay the decision until Kalish comes back and proves healthy and productive at AAA?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]SLOMAG......  SON, YOUR DEALING WITH TOO MANY QUESTIONS......  TRUST ME, THIS WILL ALL WORK OUT.... MATTER A FACT,  BEN & BOBBY V. HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS ALREADY TO THE ABOVE !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]For those of you advocating Iglesias start at SS, what does the rest of the field look like?  Do we trade Aviles, who can play the OF and right now is one of our better RH bats, or get rid of Punto (which would indicate the FO is not on the same page)?  Do we get rid of McDonald, and delay the decision until Kalish comes back and proves healthy and productive at AAA?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

We keep all 3 until CC comes back, and then DMac is the odd man out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What does the line-up look like once Carl Crawford returns?

1)  Elles
    2)  Pedroia
    3)  Youk
    4)  AGon
    5)  Ortiz
    6)  Ross
    7)  Salty/Shoppach
    8)  Iggy
    9)  Crawford

???

1)  Elles
    2)  Crawford
    3)  Pedroia
    4)  AGon
    5)  Youk
    6)  Ortiz
    7)  Ross
    8)  Salty/Shoppach
    9)  Iglesias

???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What does the line-up look like once Carl Crawford returns?
    vs LHPs
    1)  Elles
    2)  Pedroia
    3)  Youk
    4)  AGon
    5)  Ortiz
    6)  Ross   (We may see Sweeney vs LHPs)
    7)  Salty/Shoppach (Shopp is way better than Salty vs LHPs)
    8)  Iggy
    9)  Crawford

vs RHPs
    1)  Elles
    2)  Crawford
    3)  Pedroia  (I'd flip AGon and Pedey here)
    4)  AGon
    5)  Youk (I'd flip Papi and Youk here: Papi kills RHPs and Youk is just OK)
    6)  Ortiz
    7)  Ross
    8)  Salty/Shoppach (Salty is way better than Shopp vs RHPs.)
    9)  Iglesias

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SHORT OF GETTING TWO MORE GOOOOOOD STARTERS, THE BEST WAY TO HELP/IMPROVE THE ERA ON STAFF IS TO IMPROVE THE "RANGE" UP THE MIDDLE !!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts