Inglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Inglesias

Iglesias or Iggy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the Iggy trade, I think it's unfair to call it a good or bad trade - yet. We have to see how it plays out over the next couple of years. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree that we have to see how it plays out over the next several years.  The ultimate goal for making any moves is to win a World Series Championship.  Trading Iglesias for Peavy, along with several other moves and factors, led the Sox to the championship.  That alone, IMO, makes it a good move regardless of what Iggy or the Red Sox do during the remainder of Iggy's career.  Never mind that Iggy was dispensable and that the Sox needed more pitching, and that they need Peavy this year with Dempster's retirement.

[/QUOTE]

Kimmi, 

Goals for trades are both short and long term, depending on the trade. Each one is different. For a team with a poor record looking for improvement no one trade is obviously going to make the diffrence so for that team the long term is of import. For a team in contention for a title like the Sox of course the short term goals are important but long term considerations are also weighed in before the final decision is made.

Hetch 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, we traded the young great fielder Iggy, but remember, we also traded the young great hitter Han Ram.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Did the OP have a purpose other than to bash Iggy again?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since 2003, the Red Sox SS UZR/150 is +0.2. That ranks 15th in MLB.

Since 2003, the Red Sox SS OPS is .712. That ranks 13th in MLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did the OP have a purpose other than to bash Iggy again?

[/QUOTE]

especially while Iggy is hurt, bashing him is very dull.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A confusing OP, first with the incorrect salary, then with the incorrect presumption that "everybody" still says it was a bad trade.  I haven't read many saying that. 

Last year I was very much in favor of keeping Iglesias, but after the trade I quickly came around because of how well Drew was playing, especially his fielding at SS, because by 1 August the Sox were clearly in the hunt for the postseason, a humoungous turnaround from 2012, and because another starter seemed like a good idea.  In the postseason I became more convinced that the trade was a good idea.

However, it is also clear that the Tigers are happy with the deal if not with the shins problem.  They love having a great fielding SS for a long time. 

Meanwhile, it is still hard for me to fault the Sox current situation.  Bogaerts looks decent at SS and can hit a whole lot better than Iglesias.  Presumably MBR will do the same at 3B. 

I can't comment on Iglesias hotdogging it in the field because I never saw him do it.  His Pawtucket manager had to sit him last year for disciplinary reasons, but I was unaware of any issues in Boston.  He remains to me a brilliant fielder who is fun to watch. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm just happy I was able to put my feelings down about this situation, and, hopefully, put it to rest. He's not on the Sox anymore, the trade was made, Drew did an excellent job for us in his place, and we now have Bogaerts (who trumps Iggy anyway). It's a new season, Peavy may be great for us, and there may be new trades to debate. Let's just move on and let this one go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was Iggy the first player to flub plays in a costly series that wouldn't lose him a ring either way? Was Iggy on a team where players didn't like him, and one can assume that he didn't like them? Does Iggy have a history of throwing a fit when he's sad or upset? Are posters continuing to call this a bad trade? At least surprised at how "easy" they gave up their future SS?

I think it was not only an easy decision, but it was an easy decision no matter who was involved in this trade. Like I've said, Iggy will not be the future SS for the Tigers. Whether he comes back to play for awhile or not, he's not the future. It may just be trade bait.

[/QUOTE]

You only know what you read.  I have been thru the whole Iggy being a problem, with another poster.

I been at parks no less than 20 time when Iggy played.  I can only say he gave his all.  First one out for practice and always signing autographs.  The best endorsement he got was from David Ortiz.  Ortiz is the most respected Red Sox and he rarely aligns himself with problem players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm just happy I was able to put my feelings down about this situation, and, hopefully, put it to rest. He's not on the Sox anymore, the trade was made, Drew did an excellent job for us in his place, and we now have Bogaerts (who trumps Iggy anyway). It's a new season, Peavy may be great for us, and there may be new trades to debate. Let's just move on and let this one go.

[/QUOTE]

I will never look at this trade in terms of Bogey & Peavy vs Iggy: I will look at it as Middy & Peavy vs Iggy and whatever we could have gotten for Middy via trade, since I'd have moved Bogey to 3B, if we still had Iggy. 

I really wanted Iggy as our longterm SS, but I am fine with the trade. Iggy was not going to start over Bogey or Middy this year, like it or not, so we basically traded a utility IF'er for the 11th best WHIP starter over the last 3 years, and the 22nd best WAR starter since 2011.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will never look at this trade in terms of Bogey & Peavy vs Iggy: I will look at it as Middy & Peavy vs Iggy and whatever we could have gotten for Middy via trade, since I'd have moved Bogey to 3B, if we still had Iggy. 

I really wanted Iggy as our longterm SS, but I am fine with the trade. Iggy was not going to start over Bogey or Middy this year, like it or not, so we basically traded a utility IF'er for the 11th best WHIP starter over the last 3 years, and the 22nd best WAR starter since 2011.

[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Imho Bogaerts is the key figure that will ultimately be the axis on which the trade will be measured. If the kid realizes his potential and hits like expected plus 850 ops and plays league average defense @ SS. That's a huge competitive advantage, Bogaerts upside potential is not unlike a young Derek Jeter. Lofty praise indeed....

I too loved watching Iggy play SS but the reality is he's a nine hole hitter with little or no pop. As such in order for him to be a productive everyday player regardless of his glove he has to hit at minimum 270's or so. Think Brenden Ryan...who might be the best defensive SS in the game but can't hit a lick. 

Lastly, it's fairly clear that the Red Sox never entertained the idea of moving Bogaert's or they would have done so while he was toiling in the minors. All of the chatter about his growing out of the position has faded in part i think because Iggy's gone...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

Imho Bogaerts is the key figure that will ultimately be the axis on which the trade will be measured. If the kid realizes his potential and hits like expected plus 850 ops and plays league average defense @ SS. That's a huge competitive advantage, Bogaerts upside potential is not unlike a young Derek Jeter. Lofty praise indeed....

I too loved watching Iggy play SS but the reality is he's a nine hole hitter with little or no pop. As such in order for him to be a productive everyday player regardless of his glove he has to hit at minimum 270's or so. Think Brenden Ryan...who might be the best defensive SS in the game but can't hit a lick. 

Lastly, it's fairly clear that the Red Sox never entertained the idea of moving Bogaert's or they would have done so while he was toiling in the minors. All of the chatter about his growing out of the position has faded in part i think because Iggy's gone...

My point was and still is: keeping Iggy would not have prevented Bogey from being a full time player this year and going forward, so it was never about Iggy vs Bogey to me. 

I realize having Bogey ready to play SS and the belief that Middy can be a FT 3Bman for many years was the major reason Ben felt we could afford to part with Iggy. To Ben, Iggy was going to be our utility IF'er. He showed that when he moved the better fielding SS, Iggy, to 3B not Drew last year.

I think Bogey surprised even Sox management by his rapid rise through the system. I think they regretted not giving him more time at 3B in the minors, when he was forced into playing full time 3B (basically for the first time) in the playoffs & World Series last fall. However, I agree that Ben has not seriously contemplated moving Bogey to 3B, unless and until he shows he can not play a decent  enough SS to stick there. I've said this numerous times. Bogey has Ben's SS of the future which forced Iggy to a utility role. In that light, trading a utility infielder for 2 playoff cycles of team control of a proven quality starting pitcher was brilliant. In this light, it was a steal.

This does not change the fact that I would have preferred Iggy at SS, Bogey at 3B, and either trading Middy in a package for a very good OF'er or pitcher or moving Middy to 1B, not re-signing Naps, and instead signing or trading for a slugging FT OF'er (maybe C Beltran). One main reason I prefer that idea is that I have a lot of confidence that Cecchini and/or Betts will be ML ready later this year or to start 2015. Even by keeping Iggy, trading Middy and signing Napoli (or moving Middy to 1B and not signing Naps), we were still going to have a log-jam at SS/3B/1B with Napoli/Middy, Bogey, Iggy, Cecchini, Betts and maybe eventually Marrero.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Gee, I wish you'd thought of that before you started another Iggy bashing thread.

I'm very much in Moon's camp with this topic.  I wanted Iggy to be the SS and Bogarts to be the 3B. However, Ben didn't see it that way and since Ben has more horsepower than either Moon or I the trade got done.

I put it behind me a month ago but apparently some poster(s) here haven't and insist on perpetuating the Boston tradition of kicking players on the way out.  Oh well...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Gee, I wish you'd thought of that before you started another Iggy bashing thread.

I'm very much in Moon's camp with this topic.  I wanted Iggy to be the SS and Bogarts to be the 3B. However, Ben didn't see it that way and since Ben has more horsepower than either Moon or I the trade got done.

I put it behind me a month ago but apparently some poster(s) here haven't and insist on perpetuating the Boston tradition of kicking players on the way out.  Oh well...

[/QUOTE]

ditto.  There was nothing wrong for many expressing feelings about losing Igg.  Most have moved on because of the reasons you and moon stated, plus it is the nature of the sport.  We have lost players before, some how when we lose a young player like iggy when money isn't a factor, it takes a little longer to get over.

I doubt jacoby's name comes up unless he goes hitless for a streak. He moved on for more money and that's that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ditto.  There was nothing wrong for many expressing feelings about losing Igg.  Most have moved on because of the reasons you and moon stated, plus it is the nature of the sport.  We have lost players before, some how when we lose a young player like iggy when money isn't a factor, it takes a little longer to get over.

I doubt jacoby's name comes up unless he goes hitless for a streak. He moved on for more money and that's that.

[/QUOTE]

There's this never ending trend that attacks ex- Sox players (Iggy, Jacoby...) and a smaller trend that romantacizes them (Damon, Masterson, Reddick...)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's this never ending trend that attacks ex- Sox players (Iggy, Jacoby...) and a smaller trend that romantacizes them (Damon, Masterson, Reddick...)

[/QUOTE]

I don't get the whole thing about hating iggy.  The kid did nothing but play hard and made people happy to come to the park.  How many players when traded, get a great endorsement from Otiz? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't get the whole thing about hating iggy.  The kid did nothing but play hard and made people happy to come to the park.  How many players when traded, get a great endorsement from Otiz? 

Exactly, and I don't get the sense of joy some feel when an ex-Sox player gets hurt or does poorly.

Sections
Shortcuts