Injury-Prone Iggy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Injury-Prone Iggy?

From mlive.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Jose Iglesias' shins are acting up again.

Iglesias is expected to be sidelined for "about a week" due to a stress reaction in both his shins, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said early Friday.

Iglesias, the slick-fielding shortstop acquired at the non-waiver trade deadline last season, was diagnosed with inflammation in both shins after he underwent a bone scan Wednesday and an MRI exam Thursday. The exam ruled out a stress fracture.

"It's a painful situation to the point that we're not going to put him out there," head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said. "It's not something that we're going to ask him to push through."

This is the third time Iglesias has been forced to miss time due to issues involving his shins. He missed nearly a week late last season due to shin splints, a similar ailment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Injury-Prone Iggy?

"Day to Day" Iggy?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Dad says that boy's got BAD SHINS !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Keep an eye on THOSE SHINS!!  Even Big O Care cant fix bad shins!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Funny stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:

Nothing Good ever comes out of Cuba

4 good comments, but I'll give this the early lead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Dad says that boy's got BAD SHINS !!!!

Bingo Dat !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to FajitaT's comment:

Nothing Good ever comes out of Cuba

4 good comments, but I'll give this the early lead.

Hey, no question.  But a knock-down is only as good as its set-ups!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

On a serious note, it will be interesting going forward to watch Iggy's health. Remember, he had two minor league seasons cut short because of injury as I recall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

On a serious note, it will be interesting going forward to watch Iggy's health. Remember, he had two minor league seasons cut short because of injury as I recall.

He also can't hit and made two enormous errors in the playoffs.

God I miss him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

He has shins like a girl.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Am I the only one wondering why his shins were never brought up before? Especially, since he was out during his time in the minor league for possibly the same ailment? For all the abuse Drew got for taking over his position, it appears we dodged a bullet there. You know, other than the bad plays in the playoffs.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Am I the only one wondering why his shins were never brought up before? Especially, since he was out during his time in the minor league for possibly the same ailment? For all the abuse Drew got for taking over his position, it appears we dodged a bullet there. You know, other than the bad plays in the playoffs.

I wouldn't go overboard here.  I still think he's going to be a pretty good player.  I don't think any of the three teams will regret the trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

From mlive.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Jose Iglesias' shins are acting up again.

Iglesias is expected to be sidelined for "about a week" due to a stress reaction in both his shins, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said early Friday.

Iglesias, the slick-fielding shortstop acquired at the non-waiver trade deadline last season, was diagnosed with inflammation in both shins after he underwent a bone scan Wednesday and an MRI exam Thursday. The exam ruled out a stress fracture.

"It's a painful situation to the point that we're not going to put him out there," head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said. "It's not something that we're going to ask him to push through."

This is the third time Iglesias has been forced to miss time due to issues involving his shins. He missed nearly a week late last season due to shin splints, a similar ailment.

There are sub 2:10 marathoners who take off several weeks during the year due to shin splints.  It is best to rest him but in a must situation, Iggy could play.  Iggy is another one who is like a vacuum out there and he covers a lot of territory.  Some players get splints and they are back in the line up in a week.

Shin splints is usually nothing to worry about.  They usually come from hard work and gradually pop up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

AGREE, never heard of this stuff as a Red Soxer !!

They were never brought up before because shin splints are usually not that big of a deal.  If not on the field Iggy can still hit the weight room and still do light non impact cardio.  The Tigers knew every issue with Iggy and still signed him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

They were never brought up before because shin splints are usually not that big of a deal.  If not on the field Iggy can still hit the weight room and still do light non impact cardio.  The Tigers knew every issue with Iggy and still signed him.

That's just Bill being Bill.

The reason why he never heard of it, besides being a bad fan, is that minor leaguers missing a few days with a minor issue, is generally not an issue at all.  It's like him starting a thread about Nava's injury.  It took him longer to type it than it did for Nava to return.  Bill is about the only one who gets a woody about ST nicks.  I'd guess about 25% of the players will be nursing some type of ailment in ST.  It's probably part of the process for getting in world class conditioning.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Be warned that you travel down this path at your own peril.  Anything defending Iggy will be met with a barrage of posts from the water-carriers for the FO talking about what a great trade it was, how the team needed this trade to win the WS, and making a case that Iggy really isn't that good anyway. None of which are true IMO.

My opinion is that by 2016 Iggy will be firmly entrenched and playing a GG SS for some team and RS fans will be saying, "Why don't WE ever get players like that??" or "It MUST have been a good trade because we won the WS three years ago."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Be warned that you travel down this path at your own peril.  Anything defending Iggy will be met with a barrage of posts from the water-carriers for the FO talking about what a great trade it was, how the team needed this trade to win the WS, and making a case that Iggy really isn't that good anyway. None of which are true IMO.

My opinion is that by 2016 Iggy will be firmly entrenched and playing a GG SS for some team and RS fans will be saying, "Why don't WE ever get players like that??" or "It MUST have been a good trade because we won the WS three years ago." 

Here's some truth for you, S5.  I'm one of the guys who keeps taking shots at Iggy and I will continue to do so.  Yes, I want him to fail, I admit it.  And it's competitive spite, I admit that too.  My GM, Cherington, bet against Iggy, basically, and I support Ben.  It's bias and homerism, absolutely true.   

All that said, there are some early warning signs on Iggy, you must admit... Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Here's some truth for you, S5.  I'm one of the guys who keeps taking shots at Iggy and I will continue to do so.  Yes, I want him to fail, I admit it.  And it's competitive spite, I admit that too.  My GM, Cherington, bet against Iggy, basically, and I support Ben.  It's bias and homerism, absolutely true.   

All that said, there are some early warning signs on Iggy, you must admit... Smile

early signs such as what?  A couple of errors when every play seemed to be at him in the alcs.  Statements that he cannot hit when in the end of the season his average wasn't bad for a nine hole hitter ss.

I like Iggy but he is gone.  The good thing is we have a good player all set to take over ss. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

That's fine if that works for you.

I don't want him to fail.  Ii want him to succeed at the highest level, and not because it will give me the right to say, "I told you so" (well... not much anyway. Smile )  I want him to succeed because people with his skills are good for baseball regardless of who they play for.  I just don't want his (Iggy's) success to lead to the Y's being a better team than the Sox - and I have to trust the FO to not let that happen. 

And I certainly agree that there are warning signs.  Hell's bells, there were warning signs that Pedroia (and now JBJ) can't hit and warning signs that Bogarts won't be a good defensive SS, but you let these kids play through those signs.  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. 

I just think that the Sox gave up too soon on a player with possibly the best defensive upside of any player in baseball right now.  But hey, I could be wrong.  Only time will tell. 

Sections
Shortcuts