Injury-Prone Iggy?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Injury-Prone Iggy?

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1B is a waste of WMB athleticism.  Maybe one day it will be the best place for him, but that means his bat HAS to play.  The Sox are never going to give up on a guy like WMB this early let alone move him to 1B.

Yes I do have a biased towards giving the young guys a shot, but I also think it is painfuly obvious that this is the Sox F.O. plans as well.

Love em or hate em.....WMB and Bogaerts are your starting 3B and SS this year.

I think it should read "love IT or hate IT." I don't 'hate' Bogie or WMB; I'd just prefer a proven guy playing the toughest defensive position(next to catcher). IMO, not re-signing Drew(and it appears the SOX won't) will be a major mistake. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Has any team in the majors screwed up worse at the SS position than the Boston FO?

[/QUOTE]

Not much of a screw up.  Since the Sox traded away the last consistent short stop they've had they won the world series 3 out of 10 years.

Now today, they have the 2nd best prospect in baseball who plays the position.  Not many, if any teams would choose to keep a guy like Drew when you have a prospect of Xanders stature that is MLB ready at the position. 

I would call that far far far far from a mistake; especially if they do end up getting a draft pick from Drew.

You don't resign guys and pay FA prices for areas of strength, rather you spend and bring in FA's to fill in the holes.  Between Bogaerts/WMB/Cecchini/Marrero there is no need to make long term commitments to anyone, there is a chance we could have had Drew back on a one year deal but given the strength of Bogey at the position it is NO BRAINER to see if you get the draft pick.

I think it was a brilliant move and it appears the graduate from the University of Massachusetts Ben Charington does as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has any team in the majors screwed up worse at the SS position than the Boston FO?

[/QUOTE]

Well, when you look at it, the screwing up all started when we cut Nomar loose.  And since then we've won 3 World Series.  So maybe the revolving door shortstop thing hasn't mattered at all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one wondering why his shins were never brought up before? Especially, since he was out during his time in the minor league for possibly the same ailment? For all the abuse Drew got for taking over his position, it appears we dodged a bullet there. You know, other than the bad plays in the playoffs.

AGREE, never heard of this stuff as a Red Soxer !!

[/QUOTE]

They were never brought up before because shin splints are usually not that big of a deal.  If not on the field Iggy can still hit the weight room and still do light non impact cardio.  The Tigers knew every issue with Iggy and still signed him.

[/QUOTE]

Be warned that you travel down this path at your own peril.  Anything defending Iggy will be met with a barrage of posts from the water-carriers for the FO talking about what a great trade it was, how the team needed this trade to win the WS, and making a case that Iggy really isn't that good anyway. None of which are true IMO.

My opinion is that by 2016 Iggy will be firmly entrenched and playing a GG SS for some team and RS fans will be saying, "Why don't WE ever get players like that??" or "It MUST have been a good trade because we won the WS three years ago."

[/QUOTE]

This is boring. If you don't thnk much of Iggy you are a water carrier for the FO. 

This might shock you, I think Iggy is overrated by many here. That has nothing to do with what the FO thinks.

[/QUOTE]
    I apologize for not meeting your high standards for posting.  In the future please feel free to not read my posts or even put me on ignore.  Neither would break my heart.

This may shock YOU but there are many people throughout MLB who don't think runner-up ROY Iggy is overrated and I tend to put more stock in what they think than in what yahoos like you (and me) think whose credentials are that we post on BDC.

[/QUOTE]

stop being so passive aggressive. The point is what you and I think.  I don't post here to write about what other people think.

Lets both be brave enough to say what we think without saying "you think that because you carry The FO's water." 

It just cheapens your argument.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Non-passive/agressive reply, ok?:

First and foremost, I take offense at your calling my post "boring".  I understand that you don't agree with me but calling my posts boring puts me in the same class with Bill and THAT offends me! Smile

We all to some degree post about what other people think.  I think we can all say the same thing, that if we were good enough at recognizing talent we'd be ML scouts, so we put a lot of stock in what other, more qualified people say.  I rely on two things - other people's opinions and my two eyes - and when both things tell me the same thing I can't help but think I'm right.

There are people in RSN - and some who post here - who think that because the Sox won the WS in 2013 that Ben can do no wrong.  I'm not including you in that list.  That's your decision to make.  Those are the people I referred to as "water-carriers".  But I'm not one of them.  I think Ben did a good excellent job, but he's not infallible and when I disagree with what he does I'll say so.  Sometimes I'll be right and sometimes I'll be wrong, but I'll say so.

I can handle a difference of opinion but at the same time I expect other people to treat me the same as I treat them and their opinions - with respect.  Well...all but Bill. 

Fair enough? 

[/QUOTE]

My apologies for the boring comment. I have not been a fan of Iggy for years and it bothers me that because he was traded my viewpoint is characterized as "carrying the water for the FO". My viewpoint would be the same no matter what the FO thought.

Regardless you are correct that I could have come at you a better way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]This may shock YOU but there are many people throughout MLB who don't think runner-up ROY Iggy is overrated and I tend to put more stock in what they think than in what yahoos like you (and me) think whose credentials are that we post on BDC.

[/QUOTE]

Against an extremely weak field, relatively.  The guys Iggy finished ahead of in voting were:

Chris Archer

Dan Straily

J. B. Shuck

Cody Allen

Martin Perez

David Lough

Finishing 2nd in ROY voting is not a very reliable indicator of future stardom.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, C'mon. That's a weak argument and we both know it!  Laughing

Regardless of who else was in the field, finishing as the second-best rookie is a better indicator of stardom than not being mentioned at all!

Give the guy a little credit.  It wasn't all that many months ago that the topic here was whether we could survive with a GG SS who was hitting <.250.  Now that's he's gone (and hit ~.300 last year) he wasn't all that good after all?

[/QUOTE]

Iggy's BABIP (.414) suggested a huge regression in the second half.  Which is exactly what we saw.

.235/.274/.306

Even the first half, he was hitting ground ball singles and blop singles.  He never really scortched the ball.

I'm not trying to bash Iggy...only suggesting that it is a real big possibility that he showed us one of his best offensive seasons already last year.

He turned back into a pumpkin last year in the second half and I don't expect him to show much improvement from that.  I think he will be a .650 OPS guy next year.

[/QUOTE]

Iggy can't hit. Of this there will soon be no doubt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]This may shock YOU but there are many people throughout MLB who don't think runner-up ROY Iggy is overrated and I tend to put more stock in what they think than in what yahoos like you (and me) think whose credentials are that we post on BDC.

[/QUOTE]

Against an extremely weak field, relatively.  The guys Iggy finished ahead of in voting were:

Chris Archer

Dan Straily

J. B. Shuck

Cody Allen

Martin Perez

David Lough

Finishing 2nd in ROY voting is not a very reliable indicator of future stardom.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, C'mon. That's a weak argument and we both know it!  Laughing

Regardless of who else was in the field, finishing as the second-best rookie is a better indicator of stardom than not being mentioned at all!

Give the guy a little credit.  It wasn't all that many months ago that the topic here was whether we could survive with a GG SS who was hitting <.250.  Now that's he's gone (and hit ~.300 last year) he wasn't all that good after all?

[/QUOTE]

Iggy's BABIP (.414) suggested a huge regression in the second half.  Which is exactly what we saw.

.235/.274/.306

Even the first half, he was hitting ground ball singles and blop singles.  He never really scortched the ball.

I'm not trying to bash Iggy...only suggesting that it is a real big possibility that he showed us one of his best offensive seasons already last year.

He turned back into a pumpkin last year in the second half and I don't expect him to show much improvement from that.  I think he will be a .650 OPS guy next year.

[/QUOTE]

Iggy can't hit. Of this there will soon be no doubt.

[/QUOTE]

He hit in the first half last year, but it was mostly ground ball singles and blop hits.  his BABIP suggested a huge regression in the second half, and that is effectively exactly what we saw.

The irony is here that some of the people who love iggy and believe in his bat want to push Xander over to third and get rid of WMB.  They are willing to ignore Iggy's regression and focus on half his stats and do the opposite of WMB; ignore when he raked and focus on when he struggled.

Here is the difference though; Iggy's BABIP suggested regression and he never ever really scorthed the ball.  With Will we know the talent is there and we can at least somewhat explain away his struggles due to his wrist injury.

Iggy will never hit, and if you are a believe in defensive metrics then his defense might be over rated as well.  Now before I get thrown off a cliff for blasphemy keep in mind if everyone is calling you the best defender in the world...it doesn't take much to be over rated.  You can still be one of the better defenders out there and carry the title of overrated when people are slapping the best defender in decades on you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Whether you like iggy or not you have to respect the job the job he did while a red sox.  Bloppers or not he still got on base.  The attitude issue in Pawtucket was exaggerated and most coaches never would have leaked that to the press.  That pawsox coach is now gone and possibly because he hamdled many issues thru the press.

For what he was getting paid I would take him over Drew any day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Whether you like iggy or not you have to respect the job the job he did while a red sox.  Bloppers or not he still got on base.  The attitude issue in Pawtucket was exaggerated and most coaches never would have leaked that to the press.  That pawsox coach is now gone and possibly because he hamdled many issues thru the press.

[/QUOTE]

If that was the choice...I'd take Iggy over Drew as well.  Even if the money was equal I still might have to consider it given Iggy's age.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was benched in Pawtucket because of a bad attitude and not running out grounders. It doesn't matter whether or not the manager said something about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He was benched in Pawtucket because of a bad attitude and not running out grounders. It doesn't matter whether or not the manager said something about it.

[/QUOTE]

None of us know what went on inside the locker room.  So if there is information about his attitude being leaked, it came from the coach.  Valentine did the same and he quickly lost the respect of everyone.  In both cases the coaches were gone quickly after the season ended. The original suspension was a week but he was back playing sooner.  None of the providence beat writers who I followed wrote about a bad attitude or loafing. The pawsox coach also said Middy had a bad attitude.  The guy was clearly talking too much.

I have never seen Iggy loaf it down first on any grounder or fly ball.  Iggy wanted to get to Fenway in the worst way and he was not about to loaf it. If you saw him loaf please tell me which game you were at that you witnessed this.  Don't believe everything you read, unless it comes from a beat writer writing his column from the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

None of us know what went on inside the locker room.  So if there is information about his attitude being leaked, it came from the coach.  Valentine did the same and he quickly lost the respect of everyone.  In both cases the coaches were gone quickly after the season ended. The original suspension was a week but he was back playing sooner.  None of the providence beat writers who I followed wrote about a bad attitude or loafing. The pawsox coach also said Middy had a bad attitude.  The guy was clearly talking too much.

I have never seen Iggy loaf it down first on any grounder or fly ball.  Iggy wanted to get to Fenway in the worst way and he was not about to loaf it. If you saw him loaf please tell me which game you were at that you witnessed this.  Don't believe everything you read, unless it comes from a beat writer writing his column from the game.

[/QUOTE]

So in summation, I am not to believe everything I read, except if it is from a beat writer, and i am not to believe what a manager said because of what Bobby Valentine did?

Here is a story in which Iglesias himself says he was benched for not hustling and that he deserved it. Is it okay to believe him? I am so confused now.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/16/red-sox-minor-league-notebook-jose-iglesias-learns-from-his-benching/UH8gjBOFFj9Se6Kj1rd82M/story.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

well, he was a minor league player who could not call out the coach.  Only guys on Ortiz's level can burst into a live press conference, the rest have to say the politically correct things.

I remember this very well and told several people the pawsox coach would be gone.  I remember it originally being a week suspension and someone jumped in and brought iggy back sooner.

All i can say is I saw this kid play a lot and lack of hustle is nothing I would use to descirbe him.  Again if you went to game and saw it, i stand corrected.  I was at the games leading up to the suspension and remember thinking this was crazy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Lots of things happen in the world I don't have to see to believe. If Iggy admitted to doing it, which he did, then I am not going to call him a liar.

Regardless, him loafing on a ground ball and getting benched for it is not the biggest deal in the world. Lets just not get into the "it didn't happen" thing.

Becuase Iggy says it did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Lots of things happen in the world I don't have to see to believe. If Iggy admitted to doing it, which he did, then I am not going to call him a liar.

Regardless, him loafing on a ground ball and getting benched for it is not the biggest deal in the world. Lets just not get into the "it didn't happen" thing.

I guess you miss the part of how and why minor league players don't call out the coach and don't want to rock the ship.  Ortiz is a pretty good judge of character and usually hangs around with people much like himself.  Sometimes it is best to move on and give the answers to an interview that makes your superiors happy.  It is something the front office likes and obviously Detriot liked Iggy. Iggy eventually made it to Fenway where I am sure you saw him on tv. Did he lack hustle anytime at Fenway?  Usually slackers go back to slacking.

If you were to stand outside McCoy Stadium last year and do a marketing survey on Iggy, not one person would say this kid lacked hustle.

Obviously the sox front office did not pay much attention to the pawsox coach's accusation, because Iggy came up not long after this incident.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I guess you miss the part of how and why minor league players don't call out the coach and don't want to rock the ship.  Ortiz is a pretty good judge of character and usually hangs around with people much like himself.  Sometimes it is best to move on and give the answers to an interview that makes your superiors happy.  It is something the front office likes and obviously Detriot liked Iggy. Iggy eventually made it to Fenway where I am sure you saw him on tv. Did he lack hustle anytime at Fenway?  Usually slackers go back to slacking.

If you were to stand outside McCoy Stadium last year and do a marketing survey on Iggy, not one person would say this kid lacked hustle.

Obviously the sox front office did not pay much attention to the pawsox coach's accusation, because Iggy came up not long after this incident.

If you were to ask Iggy and his manager they both said that he did.

You go with your hypothetical fan poll, I will go with what Iggy and his manager said.

Again it is pretty much a non issue that he was benched for lack of hustle. It did happen though.  Anything you come up with is conjecture. the fact that it happened is fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You go with your hypothetical fan poll, I will go with what Iggy and his manager said.

Again it is pretty much a non issue that he was benched for lack of hustle. It did happen though.  Anything you come up with is conjecture. the fact that it happened is fact.

[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the reason that Iggy was benched for 3 games after returning to the minors was more complicated than simple "not running out ground balls".  I don't think it had anything to do with his lack of hustle..just a frustration of being young and sent back down to the minors after a fairly successful major league stint.

I don't think this pointed to any "attitude issue" in any way shape or form. The coach recognized that his young, ambitious player needed a little break and gave him one. Both the Pawsox coach and Farrell were very complimentary of his skills and very understanding of his feeling.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1633839-boston-red-sox-shortstop-prospect-jose-iglesias-benched-because-of-bad-attitude

I admit I wasn't totally devastated by the Iggy trade because we needed the pitching more than anything else at that point..but no one should sell this kid short. He hustles..and I will be shocked if he doesn't become a GG shortstop over the next few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the reason that Iggy was benched for 3 games after returning to the minors was more complicated than simple "not running out ground balls".  I don't think it had anything to do with his lack of hustle..just a frustration of being young and sent back down to the minors after a fairly successful major league stint.

I don't think this pointed to any "attitude issue" in any way shape or form. The coach recognized that his young, ambitious player needed a little break and gave him one. Both the Pawsox coach and Farrell were very complimentary of his skills and very understanding of his feeling.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1633839-boston-red-sox-shortstop-prospect-jose-iglesias-benched-because-of-bad-attitude

I admit I wasn't totally devastated by the Iggy trade because we needed the pitching more than anything else at that point..but no one should sell this kid short. He hustles..and I will be shocked if he doesn't become a GG shortstop over the next few years.

[/QUOTE]

agreed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one wondering why his shins were never brought up before? Especially, since he was out during his time in the minor league for possibly the same ailment? For all the abuse Drew got for taking over his position, it appears we dodged a bullet there. You know, other than the bad plays in the playoffs.

AGREE, never heard of this stuff as a Red Soxer !!

[/QUOTE]

They were never brought up before because shin splints are usually not that big of a deal.  If not on the field Iggy can still hit the weight room and still do light non impact cardio.  The Tigers knew every issue with Iggy and still signed him.

[/QUOTE]

Be warned that you travel down this path at your own peril.  Anything defending Iggy will be met with a barrage of posts from the water-carriers for the FO talking about what a great trade it was, how the team needed this trade to win the WS, and making a case that Iggy really isn't that good anyway. None of which are true IMO.

My opinion is that by 2016 Iggy will be firmly entrenched and playing a GG SS for some team and RS fans will be saying, "Why don't WE ever get players like that??" or "It MUST have been a good trade because we won the WS three years ago."

[/QUOTE]

This is boring. If you don't thnk much of Iggy you are a water carrier for the FO. 

This might shock you, I think Iggy is overrated by many here. That has nothing to do with what the FO thinks.

[/QUOTE]
    I apologize for not meeting your high standards for posting.  In the future please feel free to not read my posts or even put me on ignore.  Neither would break my heart.

This may shock YOU but there are many people throughout MLB who don't think runner-up ROY Iggy is overrated and I tend to put more stock in what they think than in what yahoos like you (and me) think whose credentials are that we post on BDC.

[/QUOTE]

stop being so passive aggressive. The point is what you and I think.  I don't post here to write about what other people think.

Lets both be brave enough to say what we think without saying "you think that because you carry The FO's water." 

It just cheapens your argument.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Non-passive/agressive reply, ok?:

First and foremost, I take offense at your calling my post "boring".  I understand that you don't agree with me but calling my posts boring puts me in the same class with Bill and THAT offends me! Smile

We all to some degree post about what other people think.  I think we can all say the same thing, that if we were good enough at recognizing talent we'd be ML scouts, so we put a lot of stock in what other, more qualified people say.  I rely on two things - other people's opinions and my two eyes - and when both things tell me the same thing I can't help but think I'm right.

There are people in RSN - and some who post here - who think that because the Sox won the WS in 2013 that Ben can do no wrong.  I'm not including you in that list.  That's your decision to make.  Those are the people I referred to as "water-carriers".  But I'm not one of them.  I think Ben did a good excellent job, but he's not infallible and when I disagree with what he does I'll say so.  Sometimes I'll be right and sometimes I'll be wrong, but I'll say so.

I can handle a difference of opinion but at the same time I expect other people to treat me the same as I treat them and their opinions - with respect.  Well...all but Bill. 

Fair enough? 

[/QUOTE]

My apologies for the boring comment. I have not been a fan of Iggy for years and it bothers me that because he was traded my viewpoint is characterized as "carrying the water for the FO". My viewpoint would be the same no matter what the FO thought.

Regardless you are correct that I could have come at you a better way.

[/QUOTE]

We're good.  :-)   I understand that we're on opposite sides of the fence on the Iggy issue and it's ok.

We have some things in common:

We're both Sox fans.

We can both be a little thin-skinned at times.

We both at times say things that "could have been said in a better way"

We're both from Maine!  That in itself says that we have a common bond.  :-)

We're good.  :-)

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

We were very lucky to dump Iglesias for a years' worth of Peavy. Peavy is not that good but he did help us get to the promised land last year- time to unload him , though

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Why would you unload him now? That makes not a bit o' sense.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Padres RHP Josh Johnson (forearm) out 4-5 weeks

24. This post has been removed.