Instant Replay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Instant Replay

Which of the following would you be in favor of for Instant Replay?

A. Out/Safe

B. Fair/Foul

C. Ball/Strike

D. All the above

E. None of the Above

F. Ball Scratching

G. Nose Picking

H. Boob Watching

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Instant Replay

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which of the following would you be in favor of for Instant Replay?

A. Out/Safe

B. Fair/Foul

C. Ball/Strike

D. All the above

E. None of the Above

F. Ball Scratching

G. Nose Picking

H. Boob Watching

[/QUOTE] I vote for A+B.

What I find interesting was little joe's recent stance on the use of replays. After getting burnt by 2 bad calls he wants instant replay. When asked in the past he was against it saying "it would take the human element out of the game". I think he said that after a call went his way. Surprise!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A, B and H.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A, B and H.

[/QUOTE]

I got married last June which is why I left H off my list.

It seemed the right thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A, B and H.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but our wives aren't here right now. :-)  Besides many/most women are the same way when you get down to it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A, B and H.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but our wives aren't here right now. :-)  Besides many/most women are the same way when you get down to it.

[/QUOTE]
                    That is very true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Just trying to add a little levity :).

I think trying to make IP part of the game would create more problems that it would solve. For example, the placement of base-runners if a call is overturned. Since virtually all calls are made while the ball is alive, there would be so much confusion as to where to place the runners.

Here's an example: 1st and 2nd, 2 out, ball hit down the line in LF and ruled foul. Replays show it was fair. Do the runners get one base or two? Does the runner from second score, what about the guy on first who would have scored easily? Is the batter credited with a single or double?

There are thousands of situations in baseball. I just can't see replay working well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

H only.

enough with instant replays.  we have been burned by it more than once.  but it is what it is...human error.  there's not as much of an outcry on it in baseball as in football as betting isnt as dominant.

@ Alibiike.  the only way around that is the umps would have to start calling everything close "fair", see how the play plays out and then adjust back to foul if replay deems it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

A, B and H.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

A-rod seems to agree also:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/alex-rodriguez-flirting-yankees-tigers-game-1_n_1970190.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

My favorite part of the article:

"Having heard loud boos after striking out in the sixth inning, perhaps A-Rod was attempting to win back the crowd one fan at a time."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Maybe in the playoffs have a replay ump upstairs in the booth able to talk to the head ump and say something like...hey Bill you might want to take a closer look at that play.  In honesty, except for balls and strikes - the umps get it right most of the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe in the playoffs have a replay ump upstairs in the booth able to talk to the head ump and say something like...hey Bill you might want to take a closer look at that play.  In honesty, except for balls and strikes - the umps get it right most of the time.

[/QUOTE]

They do get it right, most of the time.

But, I don't have problem with helping them get it right more often.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If they want an instant replay, each team can have one challenge call.  Cuz more you add instant replay, more delays of the game!!  It could mostly stop the pitcher's moment of the game.

Just like football.  They have too many replays now especially the newest one is fumble replay review.  Come on.  Once the offense keep rolling, and then they suddenly the need to review a questionable fumble call due they have to review all questionable fumble per new NFL policy, and it usually take like 2 to 5 minutes of the time.  Alot of time it could favor the defense cuz they can get some two to three minutes rest.  Since NFL coaches already have two challenging calls.  That is pretty enough to use them for the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they want an instant replay, each team can have one challenge call.  Cuz more you add instant replay, more delays of the game!!  It could mostly stop the pitcher's moment of the game.

Just like football.  They have too many replays now especially the newest one is fumble replay review.  Come on.  Once the offense keep rolling, and then they suddenly the need to review a questionable fumble call due they have to review all questionable fumble per new NFL policy, and it usually take like 2 to 5 minutes of the time.  Alot of time it could favor the defense cuz they can get some two to three minutes rest.  Since NFL coaches already have two challenging calls.  That is pretty enough to use them for the game.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think a replay takes much more time than it does for the manager to come out of the dugout, argue and get tossed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I agree with the challenge system.  Seems to be working pretty well for the NFL.  You still get occasional screwups but a lot of calls get fixed and the delay factor has been minimized.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Let the "icing of the pitcher" begin!!!!!!!!  the yankees have been successfully doing this with that 8th inning nonsense for 10 years.  now we can do it in the middle of an inning!!!  woo-hoo!!!!  awesome. 

<sarc>

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no need 4 Instant Replay

they just need to get back to doing things the old way

anything close goes to the yanks ;-)

[/QUOTE] "anything close goes to the yanks"

LOL.  I'am sitting here with the biggest grin on my face.

You out did yourself my friend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Fair/foul definitely. Home run or not definitely. Out/safe should be like the NFL in that the manager has so many challenges.

Balls and strikes never.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think the the league that loses the All star game should be awarded 3 instant replay challenges in the World Series.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the the league that loses the All star game should be awarded 3 instant replay challenges in the World Series.

[/QUOTE]

That's creative! LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

They already have an "umpire judgement" clause for advancing the baserunners on a ground rule double when they feel the lead baserunner could have advanced further (although it didn't help the NYY in 2004 on Tony Clark's ball); they could incorporate a varioant of those two rules into the replay official's domain on such fair/foul calls

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They already have an "umpire judgement" clause for advancing the baserunners on a ground rule double when they feel the lead baserunner could have advanced further (although it didn't help the NYY in 2004 on Tony Clark's ball); they could incorporate a varioant of those two rules into the replay official's domain on such fair/foul calls

[/QUOTE]

The judgment only applies on fan interference.  If the ball bounces into the stands it's automatically two bases. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The judgment only applies on fan interference.  If the ball bounces into the stands it's automatically two bases. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's the case; I recall in the OLD (Original) YS someone hitting a 400+ Ft bomb that went for a ground rule double, yet the umps awarded the runner at 1st base a score on the play. Either way, the point involved the replay official and expounding the rule in this particular circumstance as brought up by other posters 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's the case; I recall in the OLD YS someone hitting a 450 Ft bomb that went for a ground rule double, yet the umps awarded the runner at 1st base a score on the play. Either way, the point involved the replay official and expounding the rule in this particular circumstance as brought up by other posters 

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just two bases but I do agree that there should be some discretion in that call.  Sometimes you'll have a runner literally rounding third as the ball goes out of play, who is sent back to 3rd base. 

Sections
Shortcuts