Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?

There has been alot of talk lately about whether or not the sox should try to get jose reyes at the deadline due to alot of uncertainty at the ss position(whats new). One other possibility that i think is being overlooked is that of getting hanley ramirez back from the marlins. Its no secret that theo has tried to get him back in the past so why not make a run at him again? The marlins are terrible this year and currently sit 12.5 games out of their division. Hanley is the highest paid player on the team by a mile and is only going to get more expensive from here on out. The marlins have a solid core of young hitters in sanchez, morrison and stanton and adding a young controllable ss(either lowrie or iglesias) to replace hanley as well as other(reddick/kalish, doubront) prospects would make sense for them given that they are such a low budget team. From the sox perspective trading for hanley makes alot of sense. He is young, right handed, can hit 30 homers a year and 90-100 rbi and he plays a position that is a weakness for the sox. They can afford to pay his contract as well. I woud say if we are going to go after a ss, hanley is the guy not jose reyes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?

We don't have enough to give the Marlins from our farm. Sure the Marlins have a lot of young bats, but why would they get rid of Hanley just because he is struggling right now? I want the guy back in Boston as much as any Sox fan, however I just can't see this happening. Unless the Marlins are really itching to get rid of him, they have him under contract for very decent money.

I am happy to wait for Igesias next year, like A-Gon has said before. These latin players need to adjust to MLB pitching and learn to take more pitches. I don't want to blow up the farm even more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Re: Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?

You'd think that serious Red Sox fans would understand the team dynamics and front office MO by now.

This ain't happening because:

1.  The farm system has already been taxed enough by the Gonzales deal.

2.  The investment, ongoing, in Iglesias.

3.  Decent CURRENT shortstop tandem of Scuturo/Lowrie.

4.  The team does not want to add a significant other contract presently.

The team is fine as is, save for Drew and back-up outfield.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

That ship has sailed. I'm for bringing up Iglesias and slotting him right in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I would love to see Hanley back, however I do not see this happening based on points already made in this thread. Minors tapped in Adrian deal, decent tandem in Scoots/Jed for now and the commitment to Iggy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from robbosox. Show robbosox's posts

Marlins drop struggling Hanley Ramirez (.201) to sixth in lineup..I live in Florida at this time, rumors on talk shows is that Hanley is now off of roids..has average bat speed at best..time will tell, but let someone else deal with this bad club house falling star..Go Bosox!!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

hes batting .201 4 Homeruns and 17 RBI's. Our platoon and future with Iglesias looks a lot brighter than Hanley who's averaged dropped 42 points last year (.342 in 2009), and 99 points this year(.300 in 2010). Thanks but the Marlins wouldn't take anything less than Miller, Reddick (or Kalish), Iglesias, and Anderson for someone EXACTLY like Reyes who only tries during their contract year and has proven he doesn't care sometimes. Not only that, where would a struggling hitter like him hit? Were already stuck with Drew and your betting what's left of our farm system on a guy who would probably be hitting 9th with a .201 average.... Honestly I would say stick with Scutaro, I know he may not be glamourous enough for a lot of Sox fans but he's an extremely consistent .265-.275 hitter with a decent glove. Sure him and Lowrie aren't all stars but they bat 8th in the order and that's all you need from guys like that... I'm sorry if that isn't enough but can't you wait a season for Iglesias? Scutaro really isn't that bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Run at Ramirez?

Nope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Honestly, I've never been a big Hanley guy. Marvelous talent, but I'm not sure he'd be a better teammate than the last guy we had named Ramirez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Not trading say Buchholz and Bard at any point for Hanley has been a great non-move. Just like passing on Bay and Dunn.

1. He is way below average at SS ~ -11 UZR/150 2 years running.

2. Poor teammate, jogging after a ball in play.

3. His batting has slipped greatly.

4. The Sox already have a 3rd baseman.

2011 WAR  0.0 for $11m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

In Response to Re: Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?:
    [QUOTE]That ship has sailed. I'm for bringing up Iglesias and slotting him right in.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Inglesias is batting .227 for Pawtucket. Slotting him in at SS in the majors would be a quick way to destroy his confidence and possibly ruin him for good. Yes he's a defensive wizard but a guy that consistently strikes out won't have a lot of lead way with this fan base. He's not ready for the majors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

But, the logic is there. Economically suffering team, low gate revenues, and managerial turmoil.  I'd see a team in need of a shake-up.  However, based on his on field performance is there not something going on under his cap.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If I had my choice of the two today with the qualifier of "for the rest of this year"..I'd take Reyes. My guess is that as a couple month rental, Reyes can be had for much less then Ramirez and as a type A, once he signed elsewhere in the offseason, we'd be able to recoup some of the assets used to aquire him...the problem is that both are probably out of our reach, given the lack of depth of impact prospects in our system today...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't understand all this lusting for Reyes or Hanley.  Looking into the future we have Iglesias and/or Navarro looking good and just in need of some seasoning.  And this year, even without Lowrie, I am content with Scutaro.  No, he is not the answer to O-Cab.  But, he is certainly good enough not to give up the best of the farm to get great-talent-but-questionable-work-ethic/teammates Ramirez or Reyes.  And for the dough it would take to re-sign either, I'd much rather Theo keep that in the till and get another top-shelf starter.  Hanley/Jose are great offensive forces, but its not like our offense really needs upgrading at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Any moves IMO will be made to address pitching if needed and anything else is unclear. The deadline is a ways off and the RS will address urgent needs at that point not stack the line-up like a fantasy team, so I really don't see the SS position being addressed with a star player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The "Fantasy baseball" types are always juggling a hot potato. They are never happy to enjoy the team that we have. It's like the mechanic who is always tearing apart his car and putting it back together again. Either that or this office worker needs a job that is more of a challenge to him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Think the Sox were chips all in for Adrain Gonzalez.  No way they drain the farm of top talent for Ramirez.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Interesting to see that Sox came out ahead in that trade - Sox got Beckett & Lowell, who in turn helped Sox win the WS in '07, and now Beckett is good for another 3-4 years.

Sox have had bad luck with the SS position since Theo took over.  Hopefully all that is changing with Lowrie/Scutaro/Iglesias.

Why risk with Ramirez ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Instead of Jose Reyes, could the sox make a run at Hanley Ramirez at the deadline?:
    [QUOTE]Marlins drop struggling Hanley Ramirez (.201) to sixth in lineup ..I live in Florida at this time, rumors on talk shows is that Hanley is now off of roids..has average bat speed at best..time will tell, but let someone else deal with this bad club house falling star..Go Bosox!!! 
    Posted by robbosox[/QUOTE]  AND THAT SPORTSFANS, IS THE REASON THAT A  "RAMIREZ" WILL NEVER/EVER AGAIN PLAY IN BOSTON !!!    THE "DESPICABLE-MAN-CHILD-FRAUD-JUICER-QUITTER" MANNY-WOOD SAW TO THAT !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]You'd think that serious Red Sox fans would understand the team dynamics and front office MO by now. This ain't happening because: 1.  The farm system has already been taxed enough by the Gonzales deal. 2.  The investment, ongoing, in Iglesias. 3.  Decent CURRENT shortstop tandem of Scuturo/Lowrie. 4.  The team does not want to add a significant other contract presently. The team is fine as is, save for Drew and back-up outfield.
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST ....... B I N G O !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

No to Hanley for all the reasons stated above.  Also, Navarro needs more love in this conversation.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Navarro might be closer to the majors than Iglesias is right,certainly offensively.Iglesias is a truly spectacular fielder at short(maybe the best I've seen since Ozzie Smith and I've seen him play in person just 4 times this season and that was enough..he takes your breathe away with some of his plays)but his fundamentals at the plate are woefully lacking.Perhaps it is time for the Sox bring in someone just to work on his swing and,hopefully,speed his rise to the majors.You just can't bring him up now,not with the his current technical deficiencies at the plate,it really could simply destroy his confidence overall level. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

We have a 1st baseman, don't need another...it's laughable to think Theo would let him play shortstop for us.  Jed Lowrie is Ozzie Smith in comparison, and Jeb is average defensively, at best

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

They don't need either of them. When I made a post about how Theo could have had a better offseason, I suggested trading for Justin Upton instead of signing Carl Crawford. I suggested trading a package of Reddick, Navarro, Larvenway, and Salty. The posters laughed at my idea, even though those are our best prospects. If Arizona wouldn't accept that for Upton, imagine how Florida would have responded to our trade offer for Hanley.
     If you want to get Reyes, sign him in the off-season. Iglesias is still a few years away bat-wise, and once he is ready you can just trade Reyes for a boatload of prospects, more than making up for the ones you lost in the 2012 draft. I do not think that this is an ideal situation, but it would be better than trading for Hanley or calling up Iggy in 2012.
     If you're just looking to benifit from the Mets being stupid, trade Drew and one or 2 prospects for Beltran.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

although i do not like the idea of getting either hanley or reyes, our shortstop situation is worse than most think.
    Scutaro- gone after this year.
    Jed- injury prone and cannot hit rhp.
    Iglesias- great glove but does not have any pop in his bat, not an onbase guy, and has not really been able to hit at all.
    Navarro-The one i see as the best out of the bunch. Atleast average at everything. A good hitter who lacks some discipline. He projects a solid fielding shortstop. The only problem is that this team would function better if he is a super utility player.
    As of right now, i do not see a short stop in our system(other than Xander Bogarts, who is only in single A, so he is not only far off, but still a question mark) who is good enough to force navarro to a backup role, unless jed overcomes his injuries and starts to hit righties, or iggy learns to hit.